PDA

View Full Version : Friday Stats: February 2010

Dave M
12-03-2010, 14:48
Pubs Galore had 122,000 visits in February 2010, this was up from 115,000 in February 2009 and up on the 117,000 in January 2010 (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?989-Friday-Stats-January-2010).

There were no particularly exciting trends, although I notice the weekend of Valentines day was slightly lower than normal, so I guess most people don't tend to take their loved ones to the pub for a romantic dinner.

As far as site activity is concerned there was a considerable spike in reviews as Conrad had already suggested, that should settle back down a bit in next months update.

On the site in February 2010 there were:-
4,263 photos of 1,204 pubs
3,522 comments added
487 new pubs suggested
709 map points corrected
596 web links suggested
159 new members joined

For comparison in February 2009 there were:-
2,198 photos of 1,061 pubs
451 comments added
567 new pubs suggested
396 map points corrected
819 web links suggested
142 new members joined

The check against how things went in the previous month look at my January 2010 post (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?989-Friday-Stats-January-2010). As far as month on month changes are concerned the pattern we usually see is that traffic and activity broadly increase all the way through to August and then start tailing off to a low in December.

Forum posts came in at 2,579 for the month, compared to, er, none in the same month last year!

A new one that it seems appropriate to include is that 2,847 more people started using the PuG Layer on their iPhone/Android phone (http://blog.pubsgalore.co.uk/2009/11/having-just-got-myself-iphone-i-have.html).

Conrad
12-03-2010, 15:17
Just to add my comments. We publish these stats as we are endeavouring to be as open as we can to you our community, hopefully by seeing what you are achieving with/for the Pubs Galore web site you will feel more invested in it. I would prefer these numbers are not used for chest beating and that is part of the reason we have never displayed them on the front page of the site.

For me the key indicator of success is how much the sites community enjoy using it - I want the site to grow by the community enjoying using it.

So once again, do keep letting us know what you don't enjoy about the site and what you think you would enjoy seeing on the site. We have had some fantastic feedback and we are trying to gradually address it all. Hopefully the nearly 700% increase in reviews over last year indicates that all the new high value contributors are beginning to embrace the site.

Thanks for making those stats happen.

Edit: Just as an early heads up on next months stats, the forum posts are going to go down, for good reason, in that a lot less pubs will be reported as closed in the forums, and will instead be reported directly on the site. We will try and remember to add the reported open/closed stats in the monthly report.

hopwas
12-03-2010, 15:24
Forum posts came in at 2,579 for the month, compared to, er, none in the same month last year!

Slight increase there...

RogerB
12-03-2010, 15:37
The pub comments is the one area we all need to work on. The more reviews visible, the more the site will gain in credibility and usefulness. The figure quoted appears to be quite impressive this month but probably only reflects the migration of some of our imported comments from elsewhere albeit I have made efforts to update my older reveiws where possible. I would be interested to know how many (or what percentage) of pubs listed on PG currently have no reviews and how many pubs get reviewed for the first time each month. I reckon we should all make an effort to review at least a couple of "virgin" pubs each month!

Conrad
12-03-2010, 15:50
The pub comments is the one area we all need to work on. The more reviews visible, the more the site will gain in credibility and usefulness. The figure quoted appears to be quite impressive this month but probably only reflects the migration of some of our imported comments from elsewhere albeit I have made efforts to update my older reveiws where possible. I would be interested to know how many (or what percentage) of pubs listed on PG currently have no reviews and how many pubs get reviewed for the first time each month. I reckon we should all make an effort to review at least a couple of "virgin" pubs each month!
1,970 Virgin pub reviews last month compared with 344 in the same period last year.

And currently we have 53,193 pubs listed as open of which 11,654 have reviews (21.9%). 35,402 of our open pubs have some form of interaction with them (66.6%), so a picture, comment, web link or map correction. And we have 38,539 pubs with input (so 3,137 of those now closed).

Farway
12-03-2010, 16:05
The pub comments is the one area we all need to work on.. I reckon we should all make an effort to review at least a couple of "virgin" pubs each month!

Sounds a good idea, but would our, or more precisely, my, liver stand it?

But, more seriously, you are right and I hope to make a start in May when I vist Cornwall for the Eden Project, pub crawl in Lostwithiel, but a St Austell one is just too many pubs for my liver & wallet

Strongers
12-03-2010, 16:25
Only 52,000 pubs left to visit then!:eek:

Rex_Rattus
12-03-2010, 16:40
Clocked up another 5 pubs today - only one of them a virgin though. Strongers beat me to the others!

Bucking Fastard
12-03-2010, 17:06
I reckon we should all make an effort to review at least a couple of "virgin" pubs each month!

Totally agree with this Mr B,as soon as I have got the head gasket problem sorted on the engine,I'll be heading oop north on the canal system intent on knocking off a fair few virgin pubs.As the number of unreviewed pubs continues to decline,so the credibility of this site will rise.I must say that the number of pub with a photo is already at an impressive level.

I will try me best :drinkup::drinkup:

Conrad
12-03-2010, 17:30
I have to admit it will make a huge difference getting the virgin pubs sorted, although they can only ever receive a first review once, so I think we should remember the reviews that come afterwards can frequently be better and tinged with more experience .... or something.

Sadly the photo contributors don't really come onto the forums, but there are quite a few members who have been slogging away on the site for a long time doing them and it is incredible. As I write this it suddenly occurs to me, who would have thought it, people who are chatty on a forum like doing reviews :D.

It is all good stuff though!

Rex_Rattus
12-03-2010, 17:46
[QUOTE=Conrad;9556 As I write this it suddenly occurs to me, who would have thought it, people who are chatty on a forum like doing reviews :D.

It is all good stuff though![/QUOTE]
Good to have an epiphany every now and again Conrad! And here's another gem - the more reviews one writes, the better one gets at it! Anyway, I suspect that for all sorts of good logistical reasons you will see the virgin pubs in London disappearing more quickly than in the rest of the country. It's the out of the way places that need to be ticked off as well. 80% of the pubs I visited today had already had comments posted - mind you, I was in Strongers' back yard, so I suppose I did well to find one that he had not reviewed!

Maldenman
12-03-2010, 21:35
I'm hoping to continue my Thames Path walk tomorrow, if the forecast is true, I'll be walking from Reading to Pangbourne. I'll be taking the camera, as Pangbourne pubs need both pics and reviews.
Not that I'll be visiting all pubs mind, but I'll do my best to add a few photos.

Oggwyn Trench
13-03-2010, 00:27
I drive around a 1000 miles a week mostly on A and B roads around Shropshire , Cheshire , Herefordshire , Worcestershire and North Wales so i tend to keep an eye out for pubs and add any that are not listed , i have also started taking my camera with me to snap any pubs i can on me way round , time permitting (i know im SAD)

Conrad
13-03-2010, 17:41
I drive around a 1000 miles a week mostly on A and B roads around Shropshire , Cheshire , Herefordshire , Worcestershire and North Wales so i tend to keep an eye out for pubs and add any that are not listed , i have also started taking my camera with me to snap any pubs i can on me way round , time permitting (i know im SAD)
I don't think your sad, always glad to have new photos to display.

Oggwyn Trench
13-03-2010, 22:39
I don't think your sad, always glad to have new photos to display.

Try telling my wife !!!

Strongers
13-03-2010, 22:54
My wife thinks that I have pulled a fast one by making pubs and drinking my hobby and the darts is just passion... What a great catch I was!

Strongers
17-03-2010, 01:09

I’ve been out of work for eight months so the wife has been bringing in the cods, but today I landed a plum job in the Greenford area which seems to be severely lacking in comments, photos and ratings. I’m not sure whether I’m glad about getting the job or being sited in amongst a load of pubs I’ve not visited before – some would call me obsessed, others commited!:glass:

Conrad
17-03-2010, 11:42
Congratulations on the job Strongers, hope it is enjoyable.

Look forward to all the updates as well.

Strongers
17-03-2010, 23:51
Cheers, It's a bit of a relief as there was talk of renting out the flat and moving into the inlaws in Eastbourne - ouch!

ROBCamra
18-03-2010, 13:30
Cheers, It's a bit of a relief as there was talk of renting out the flat and moving into the inlaws in Eastbourne - ouch!

Eastbourne? I didn't realise you were that old.

Last time we visited Eastbourne we were the only two people walking along the promenade, the rest were all on wheels of one kind or another. :)

RogerB
18-03-2010, 13:48
Once you go to Eastbourne you only come out in a box. :eek::eek:

trainman
18-03-2010, 14:37
The very young sixty-something in our regular touring party was quite chuffed on the visit to Eastbourne, declaring himself 'nowt but a spring chicken' in comparison to the resident population.

Farway
19-03-2010, 14:34
Eastbourne may be OAP town, but seems the pubs have had a good number of pictures & reviews, so someone on PG visits the place

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/towns/eastbourne/east-sussex/

hopwas
19-03-2010, 14:35
Just passed 10,000th post on this forum!