PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother at large in Consett

Farway
12-03-2010, 10:32
Came across this bit of nonsense, need to produce photo ID before getting a drink, seems like Consett would be a place to
avoid

ID scheme proposed to reduce alcohol-related trouble in Consett

Would anyone here agree to have their details taken by a pub owner before they could get a drink?

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/consett/5033467.ID_proposal_for_drinkers_welcomed_by_bar_o wner/

Conrad
12-03-2010, 10:52
Next week they will announce that you need to hand the glass back to get your ID back, and your DNA will mysteriously appear on the DNA register a month later.

I'm not sure which bit offends me more, the introduction of ID cards by the back door, or the fact they have found another way to pointlessly reduce pub business.

Strongers
12-03-2010, 10:57
This is a reply I received from Belushis in London Bridge after I took exception to being asked for photo id to enter on a week night when nobody else was in there:

“Sorry to hear you had a bad time Stronger... Just to let everyone know, Belushi's in London Bridge now has a strictly ID only entry policy as they're using new ID Scan technology - Club scan for all customers protection.. and its working out quite nicely!”

SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS!

Soup Dragon
12-03-2010, 12:15
Thanks for showing me all your personal stuff - now, did you want Car*ing, or Fost*rs?

Conrad
12-03-2010, 12:21
Thanks for showing me all your personal stuff - now, did you want Car*ing, or Fost*rs?
This is a measure against violent crime?

ETA
12-03-2010, 13:50
This is a measure against violent crime?

Sounds like a way of goading otherwise placid drinkers INTO violent crime perpetrated against jobsworth doormen if you ask me.

Although when I was asked to prove my age in Colchester last year I chose to view it as a compliment. Having said that, if the doorman's judgement is so poor that he thinks I am under 18, you have to ask why he's beign employed in that role.

hopwas
12-03-2010, 15:28
I know one pub will ONLY accept passport as proof of age. Driving lience and official proof of age card are out of the question. I really don't want carry around with passport and it may get stolen or cloned.

Result was customers boycotted the pub and takings were down. They still running the scheme despite boycotting..

Conrad
12-03-2010, 15:32
I have to admit the bit that offended me most is that they are recording it. Quickly flashing my drivers licence I could live with every now and then. No way in hell I would carry round my passport with me in the UK though.

HTM69
12-03-2010, 21:30
I really don't want carry around with passport and it may get stolen or cloned.

Ah, now this is where the 'ol I.D. Card scheme comes in! ;)

arwkrite
13-03-2010, 00:42
Not to long before your visits are recorded by scanned cards, your drinks also recorded. Soon a card arrives from your G.P saying you are exceeding govt. guidelines on alcohol consumption and would you like to talk about your apparent alcholism. How is showing a card, as shown in Manchester to be easily counterfieted, going to improve your safety ? Trouble can kick off anywhere anytime. We have all probably seen our share of it.
Google Street View is nothing compared to Govt. Agency data bases on recording facts and figures about us.

runningdog
13-03-2010, 00:57
Before paranoia carries you all off, it's only a puppet, sorry, proposal..........:drinkup::drinkup:

arwkrite
13-03-2010, 06:37
I make it a matter of habit to check under my bed often. So far I have only found fluff and two empty sherry bottles but you never know. Strange noises have started coming from the wardrobe. MI5 ? Recycling Spies? Or maybe that Camembert that went missing last year? Proposals have a habit of being a sneaky way to bring in new regulations. Remember box junctions, now you can't move for them.
Anyway, I like being paranoid. It makes me think someone cares about me.

gillhalfpint
13-03-2010, 08:29
No matter what is scanned or where it's scanned, always remember that somewhere along the line it can get carried by a person and may end up in the back of a taxi.....

arwkrite
13-03-2010, 10:22
No matter what is scanned or where it's scanned, always remember that somewhere along the line it can get carried by a person and may end up in the back of a taxi.....
Why do I have visions of the Office Christmas Party and those big IBM copying machines.
I am sure more than one of those typists ended up in the back of a taxi.:whistle:

rpadam
13-03-2010, 11:08
This is a reply I received from Belushis in London Bridge after I took exception to being asked for photo id to enter on a week night when nobody else was in there:

“Sorry to hear you had a bad time Stronger... Just to let everyone know, Belushi's in London Bridge now has a strictly ID only entry policy as they're using new ID Scan technology - Club scan for all customers protection.. and its working out quite nicely!”

SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS!
Thank you - another reason to walk past this place and find a proper pub...

Conrad
13-03-2010, 17:43
Anyway, I like being paranoid. It makes me think someone cares about me.
It's only paranoid when its not true :whistle:

ROBCamra
13-03-2010, 18:47
It's only paranoid when its not true :whistle:

I phoned up the paranoia hotline yesterday. The bloke who answered said "Where the hell did you get this number?":)

Oggwyn Trench
13-03-2010, 21:43
Paranoia ! who said that ? come on i know your there :eek:

runningdog
13-03-2010, 22:11
Paranoia ! who said that ? come on i know your there :eek:

Me! Oh, you are awful, but I like you.........:drinkup::cheers:

Oggwyn Trench
13-03-2010, 22:33
Me! Oh, you are awful, but I like you.........:drinkup::cheers:

You asked for it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUn0n9Yu7Vw&feature=related