PDA

View Full Version : Boars head in Perry Barr - pub or not ???

Delboy20
26-01-2014, 19:04
Time to open the can of worms again - when is a pub not a pub ?

I was in Perry Barr a few weeks ago when i walked past the Boars Head. It claims to be the Boars Head World Buffet - The Boars Head (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/37494/)

I thought why not try and have a beer? I walked in to be met by some sort of head waiter type in a suit. I said I didn't want to eat but could I have a drink? He seemed unimpressed and mumbled something about being very busy ( which it was to be fair! ) I stood my ground and he reluctantly said OK you can have a drink and sit in the waitng area. I got my pint at the bar and sat down. The waiting area wasn't the most comfortable but I have been in worse places.

A quick look at the website seems to indicate that you dont have to eat _ " So if it's a pre meal drink, something to accompany your meal, a post meal tipple or if you're not tempted to indulge in our cuisine then allow yourself to enjoy a drink from our extensive choice at our finest bar, relax and enjoy the ambience and experience all the Boars Head has to offer. "

So the question is should it be marked as open - with a review to state this situation - or not ?

It meets my criteria. I walked in, didn't have to pay, join or have a meal. I bought a drink and drank it !! I am counting it as a pub visit.

I'll throw it open .... Can't be any worse than a Cafe Rouge eh Soupy !!!!

Del.

Strongers
26-01-2014, 19:57
I'd add it and let people know the situation in your review.

Bucking Fastard
26-01-2014, 20:23
What is important is that you have visited the place,and it meets your requirements for a pub visit.I would agree with Strongers,include the useful detail you have discussed in this tread in your review (especially the info from their website about not having to buy a meal )and request that the pub be listed as open.

aleandhearty
27-01-2014, 10:48
Agh! These ghastly holding area bars. Technically, many are eligible for inclusion, but are they in the spirit of the site? Nah.

Farway
27-01-2014, 12:06
As others, I would include it, meets the criteria often used. Walk in get a drink

I have never been in that one obviously, but I bet there are worse bars belonging to pubs than a wait to be seated area bar in a gastro pub

Soup Dragon
27-01-2014, 21:18
I did have it opened, then closed with a review saying it is a buffet restaurant! My view is that it doesn't matter whether it is open or closed so long as the comment is on that it isn't a pub!