PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me

london calling
18-01-2014, 22:08
While in the pursuit of beer and pubs I have done a few daft things latest one was this week.

Went to Teddington and couldn't find the Masons Arms which I thought was on the main rd .Asked a local and he said look behind you.I was about 25 yards from it.

a pub crawl of St Albans asked the locals directions to the next pub on my list after the laughter had died down (about 5 mins) realised I was in it.

Fell asleep on the last train home woke up at Alperton. One and a half hour walk home.

Ordered 2 halves of different pale ales then changed my mind and ordered one pale and one stout. I was chatting as the barmaid put the drinks down so I turned and said which is which. She said the stout is the black one.

Went to the Eagle Ale house May bank holiday fest there are 2 May bank holidays I was 4 weeks early never mind then jumped a train at Clapham junction to the Red Lion May day fest yep again I was 4 weeks early.

Went up to London without my wallet.Had about £9 in change.(thank God for Wetherspoons enough for 4 and a half pints)

Went to a pub called the Hercules pillars which I had passed previously and I had now been told had a good real ale selection. It was closed between Christmas and New year. Then went back a week later to find it closed for a refurb. Left it 2 weeks and it was open. Deep joy but found it had 5 handpumps all with a London pride clip.The pub I should have went to was the Pillars of Hercules about a mile away.

Missed the last train at Putney and as I was skint and it was a warm Summers night decided to walk home via the towpath along the Thames.Apparently ( but not to me) a well known gay meet-up place.I walked fast that night.Frightning

Was told there was a pub in Covent Gardens that sold beer from the new Brodies brewery but not which one.Me and my mate Gary checked about 20 pubs before we stood looking at the Crosse Keys about 100 yards up the road and decided enough was enough and the gen was rubbish so we jumped a train to the Borough.The pub with Brodies beer obviously the Crosse Keys.

Is it just me ?

Mobyduck
18-01-2014, 22:35
While in the pursuit of beer and pubs I have done a few daft things latest one was this week.

Went to Teddington and couldn't find the Masons Arms which I thought was on the main rd .Asked a local and he said look behind you.I was about 25 yards from it.

a pub crawl of St Albans asked the locals directions to the next pub on my list after the laughter had died down (about 5 mins) realised I was in it.

Fell asleep on the last train home woke up at Alperton. One and a half hour walk home.

Ordered 2 halves of different pale ales then changed my mind and ordered one pale and one stout. I was chatting as the barmaid put the drinks down so I turned and said which is which. She said the stout is the black one.

Went to the Eagle Ale house May bank holiday fest there are 2 May bank holidays I was 4 weeks early never mind then jumped a train at Clapham junction to the Red Lion May day fest yep again I was 4 weeks early.

Went up to London without my wallet.Had about £9 in change.(thank God for Wetherspoons enough for 4 and a half pints)

Went to a pub called the Hercules pillars which I had passed previously and I had now been told had a good real ale selection. It was closed between Christmas and New year. Then went back a week later to find it closed for a refurb. Left it 2 weeks and it was open. Deep joy but found it had 5 handpumps all with a London pride clip.The pub I should have went to was the Pillars of Hercules about a mile away.

Missed the last train at Putney and as I was skint and it was a warm Summers night decided to walk home via the towpath along the Thames.Apparently ( but not to me) a well known gay meet-up place.I walked fast that night.Frightning

Was told there was a pub in Covent Gardens that sold beer from the new Brodies brewery but not which one.Me and my mate Gary checked about 20 pubs before we stood looking at the Crosse Keys about 100 yards up the road and decided enough was enough and the gen was rubbish so we jumped a train to the Borough.The pub with Brodies beer obviously the Crosse Keys.

Is it just me ?
No.

oldboots
19-01-2014, 08:09

Is it just me ?

No

Maldenman
19-01-2014, 08:17
The falling asleep on the train one is familiar, thankfully not for a long time. When I worked in Morden at the southern end of the Northern Line after one post work session I managed to travel the entire length of the line to High Barnet on what turned out to be the last train. I still somehow managed to get home.

Aqualung
19-01-2014, 10:36
I once woke up on the top deck of a bus inside Tottingham bus garage.
I knew someone who lived in Stevenage and woke up on the way to Darlington.

Strongers
19-01-2014, 11:13
I got on a train at Ealing to go to Paddington and was woken up by a shocked maintenance worker in Reading depot. They paid for me to get a cab back to Reading and I then had to wait for two hours for a train. I then had to get a night buses from Paddington to my home at the time in Cricklewood.

One week later I fell asleep on the central line and woke up in Epping. Thankfully it was early evening so my journey home wasn’t that bad.

Maldenman
19-01-2014, 12:45
I also once had a few difficulties with the "Westbound" and "Eastbound" signs at Earls Court after imbibing a few, finding myself heading in totally the wrong direction late one night. Thankfully not falling asleep. Didn't notice until Tower Hill though!

Al 10000
19-01-2014, 14:45
I have had loads of mishaps while pub crawling.

I did a very big pub crawl of Waltham Abbey,Waltham Cross and Cheshunt which bagged me 23 pubs,i caught the train back to Liverpool street and woke up at Ponders End but heading out of London,so i had a quick drink in the Railway taking my pubs total to 24 for the day.

I did another large pub crawl down the A6 in Hazel Grove to Stockport,by the time i had got to the southern edge of Stockport i had already done 18 pubs,i went into a nice Robinsons house whicch was empty,when i woke up the pub was full of older people looking at me,so i made a quick exit,i then went in the next pub i came across had a quich half wrote the pubs name down then onto the next,after doing three pubs i realised that they had the same names has the pubs i had done earlier,i was walking away from Stockport and was doing pubs i had already been in.

I eventually caught the train from Stockport to Nottingham and woke up in Grantham,luclily i got the last train from Grantham but had to get a taxi home.

On another occasion i did a pub crawl in South West London,i lost track of time and eneded up as St Pancrass an hour late,i had done this after other pub crawls and they let me on the train even though i had pre booked tickets for a certain train,but on this occasion the jobsworth ticket collector at the barriers would not let me on the train,because it was the wrong ticket,but they said i could buy one for about £90,no chance of that.

I then had a master plan,i walked along the concourse and found an empty platform with no barriers,so i walked the length of the platform and decided to walk across the rail tracks to get to the Nottingham train,all went well untill the last set of tracks to clamber over,i tripped and fell onto the tracks this hurt me but i managed to get on the platform,i then got on the train and locked myself into a toilet, i eventually came out after half an hour,there were no ticket checks on the train,so i got back to Nottingham witout paying any more money,i was well pleased.

Farway
19-01-2014, 16:07
Falling asleep on train, done that, luckily the trains I used were to Portsmouth Harbour, end of the line, and Uxbridge, also end of line [bus back to Hillingdon]

Soup Dragon
19-01-2014, 16:20
I feel asleep on the train after the Reading meet-up. I have also started a conversation with my own reflection in a mirror.

Mobyduck
19-01-2014, 20:21

I did a very big pub crawl of Waltham Abbey,Waltham Cross and Cheshunt which bagged me 23 pubs,i caught the train back to Liverpool street and woke up at Ponders End but heading out of London,so i had a quick drink in the Railway taking my pubs total to 24 for the day.

I did another large pub crawl down the A6 in Hazel Grove to Stockport,by the time i had got to the southern edge of Stockport i had already done 18 pubs,i went into a nice Robinsons house whicch was empty,when i woke up the pub was full of older people looking at me,so i made a quick exit,i then went in the next pub i came across had a quich half wrote the pubs name down then onto the next,after doing three pubs i realised that they had the same names has the pubs i had done earlier,i was walking away from Stockport and was doing pubs i had already been in.

I eventually caught the train from Stockport to Nottingham and woke up in Grantham,luclily i got the last train from Grantham but had to get a taxi home.

On another occasion i did a pub crawl in South West London,i lost track of time and eneded up as St Pancrass an hour late,i had done this after other pub crawls and they let me on the train even though i had pre booked tickets for a certain train,but on this occasion the jobsworth ticket collector at the barriers would not let me on the train,because it was the wrong ticket,but they said i could buy one for about £90,no chance of that.

I then had a master plan,i walked along the concourse and found an empty platform with no barriers,so i walked the length of the platform and decided to walk across the rail tracks to get to the Nottingham train,all went well untill the last set of tracks to clamber over,i tripped and fell onto the tracks this hurt me but i managed to get on the platform,i then got on the train and locked myself into a toilet, i eventually came out after half an hour,there were no ticket checks on the train,so i got back to Nottingham witout paying any more money,i was well pleased.

No one said it would be easy. :D

bcfczuluarmy
19-01-2014, 20:36
Generally I think I've been most fortunate in the general stakes. Save for being thrown out of places or arrested etc I've not encountered many mishaps.

Strongers
19-01-2014, 21:49
I've asked my reflection for a light!

sheffield hatter
19-01-2014, 22:01

'ckinell.

Good job you weren't drunk. :rolleyes:

AlanH
20-01-2014, 06:27

:D:D:D:drinkup::drinkup: :bemerry: :nishelypished:

Doing a pub crawl in both directions.

Making James Bond seem like a :muppet:

You are not called Fearless Al for nothing.

Al ....... it IS just YOU!! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Farway
20-01-2014, 12:11
I feel asleep on the train after the Reading meet-up. I have also started a conversation with my own reflection in a mirror.

Did you get sensible answers, or was the reflection pi55ed?

Soup Dragon
20-01-2014, 12:40
Did you get sensible answers, or was the reflection pi55ed?

it was too embarrassed to reply!

aleandhearty
20-01-2014, 16:01

Is it just me ?

:D No. Definitely not.

london calling
08-02-2014, 23:07
Fell asleep on the train tonight (again) woke up in Northfields 2 stops further than I wanted , ran across to catch a train back that had just pulled up.I fell and hurt my arm and leg. the older I get the less I bounce. Still think beer solves more problems that it causes. cheers john

Mobyduck
09-02-2014, 10:45
Left my coat in KFC after the last pub last night, luckily still there when I went back for it with my train ticket in the pocket.

trainman
09-02-2014, 12:03
Lost glasses somewhere yesterday. Not found at the last two (remembered) pubs per phonecalls today.
Friend thought perhaps left on train, although also said I went back to look. Mind you, I'd have been lucky to find the carriage by then, never mind the glasses.

Mobyduck
09-02-2014, 13:47
Lost glasses somewhere yesterday. Not found at the last two (remembered) pubs per phonecalls today.
Friend thought perhaps left on train, although also said I went back to look. Mind you, I'd have been lucky to find the carriage by then, never mind the glasses.

And nothing to do with your eyesight. :evilgrin:

trainman
09-02-2014, 15:43
And nothing to do with your eyesight. :evilgrin:
Precisely! As a&h would say, I was rather 'nicely' by 10pm.
What a terrific idea it was to get a bottle of red for the train home. :0(

aleandhearty
09-02-2014, 18:21
Precisely! As a&h would say, I was rather 'nicely' by 10pm.

:D Knowing you 'tm', as 'nicely' as a a newt.