PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all

Boots60
18-01-2014, 10:23
Hello fellow pub goers. Just joined up & am looking forward to some pub banter,opinions,discussion etc. on a pastime close to my heart. I love the boozer & after 35 or so years of visiting our national institutions I am now joining the 21st century & finally embracing technology for education & light hearted banter. Looking forward to adding my own views as well as reading others on this forum. Cheers.

ROBCamra
18-01-2014, 10:29
Welcome aboard Boots60, new blood is always welcome.

We already have an oldboots, so if Boots60 means that you are 60 years old then he'll have to change his name to slightlyyoungerboots. :p

But if it means you were born in 1960 you'll be the younger of the boots. :cheers:

Soup Dragon
18-01-2014, 10:33
Welcome aboard Boots60, new blood is always welcome.

We already have an oldboots, so if Boots60 means that you are 60 years old then he'll have to change his name to slightlyyoungerboots. :p

But if it means you were born in 1960 you'll be the younger of the boots. :cheers:

Good to have a pair of Boots reviewing! Welcome, Squire!

Boots60
18-01-2014, 10:33
Thanks Rob, popped out in 1960 mate.

Mobyduck
18-01-2014, 10:40
Welcome Boots60, whereabouts are you based?

Boots60
18-01-2014, 10:48
Hello Soup dragon & Moby, based in Ratby Leicestershire. Drink any where & everywhere, favoured locals are Plough, Rat by & Tudor, Leicester.

Farway
18-01-2014, 12:17
Hello Soup dragon & Moby, based in Ratby Leicestershire. Drink any where & everywhere, favoured locals are Plough, Rat by & Tudor, Leicester.

Welcome Boots60 you will find us spread all over the country and a varied mix of likes & dislikes.
This may be worth a trawl through, just in case we have missed one or two
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?949-Pub-annoyances-834&highlight=pub+annoyances

hondo
18-01-2014, 14:05
:):drinkup::bemerry:

Al 10000
18-01-2014, 14:37

Welcome to the site Boots60,

I did three pubs in Ratby in June 2011,i quite liked the Bulls Head and the Plough,i did the Tudor in Leicester way back in 1984.

:cheers: Alan

oldboots
18-01-2014, 16:24
Hello and welcome, sorry my first response was negative about the Philly- you'll get used to our ways, it can get lively sometimes but we try to play nice - mostly

Boots60
19-01-2014, 09:39
Hello Farway, Hondo, Al & Boots. Nice to receive a few replies to my first post. I am a bit new to this computer malarky but are I will get the gist of things soon enough. As for the Philharmonic in Liverpool my view is highly influenced by a particularly great night I had in there a few years back.
Boots, I have had my nickname since a teenager & my nickname before that was a tad embarrassing so I am proud to be a Boots & it,s nice to know there is another out there.

Bucking Fastard
19-01-2014, 09:46
Welcome Boots60 ,hope you enjoy your stay. I don't think we have any forum regulars from your neck of the woods,so any contributions to pub reviews or photos in your area will be gratefully received.:cheers:

Boots60
19-01-2014, 10:01
Thanks Bucking, by the way I think you have the best name on this board by far!

Strongers
19-01-2014, 11:18
Welcome aboard the good ship PuG... I'm not sure where we are going or whether we will remember getting there.

Quinno
19-01-2014, 12:22
:cheers:

Rex_Rattus
19-01-2014, 14:06
Welcome Boots60 you will find us spread all over the country and a varied mix of likes & dislikes.
This may be worth a trawl through, just in case we have missed one or two
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?949-Pub-annoyances-834&highlight=pub+annoyances
Hi Boots - and welcome from the King Rat as well. Poor computer skills hasn't stopped some of us from being regular contributors - eh, Alan?

On the Pub Annoyances thread, there's an index of them on Page 45 of the thread (itself an indication of how seriously we take this issue!), in case you want to have a quick look at any that might interest you.

Al 10000
19-01-2014, 14:20
Hi Boots - and welcome from the King Rat as well. Poor computer skills hasn't stopped some of us from being regular contributors - eh, Alan?

Yes Rex quite correct,i know nothing about computors :confused:,but have had loads of help from forum regulars :cheers: which i really appreaciate :D,there are still loads of things to do with this site that i hav'nt the faintest idea what to do,my holy grail is to do a double quote,never done one yet,i may get to do it one day.

Real Ale Ray
19-01-2014, 14:36
Good to see another member on board - welcome Boots60. You most probably know already, but we meet up a couple of times a year (or more!) and our next venture is 21st March in Worcester, it's always a lively day out with good banter and great beer.

Maldenman
19-01-2014, 15:14
Yes Rex quite correct,i know nothing about computors :confused:,but have had loads of help from forum regulars :cheers: which i really appreaciate :D,there are still loads of things to do with this site that i hav'nt the faintest idea what to do,my holy grail is to do a double quote,never done one yet,i may get to do it one day.

I've always wanted to find out how you do that thing where you write something then cross it out leaving it readable behind. I'm sure I've been told how to but never mastered it.

NickDavies
19-01-2014, 17:47
Like this ... strike

Press 'reply with quote' and you should see the source...[strike] etc

Mobyduck
19-01-2014, 20:14
I've always wanted to find out how you do that thing where you write something then cross it out leaving it readable behind. I'm sure I've been told how to but never mastered it.

Like this ... strike

Press 'reply with quote' and you should see the source...[strike] etc
What ?:confused::D

ROBCamra
20-01-2014, 07:03

Don't you mean What? :evilgrin:

Quinno
20-01-2014, 11:17
Eh?

:D

Look for the 'S' icon with the line through it. Only available in the reply with full editor option. Then just highlight the text you want to strikethrough, like you would bold etc

Aqualung
20-01-2014, 11:51
I don't have the faintest idea what this is all about!!

Oh! I get it!

Maldenman
20-01-2014, 12:53
Suppose I ought to have a go but .I'll probably balls it all up!

hondo
20-01-2014, 12:58
bloody hell

Farway
20-01-2014, 13:16

Suppose I ought to have a go but .I'll probably balls it all up!

Guess I should join in this niow now

aleandhearty
20-01-2014, 15:32
Hello fellow pub goers. Just joined up & am looking forward to some pub banter,opinions,discussion etc. on a pastime close to my heart. I love the boozer & after 35 or so years of visiting our national institutions I am now joining the 21st century & finally embracing technology for education & light hearted banter. Looking forward to adding my own views as well as reading others on this forum. Cheers.

A bit late, but I'd like to join everyone else in welcoming you to the site. As BF says, nice to have a bit of fresh blood from a part of the country not covered at the moment.

Mobyduck
20-01-2014, 17:44
Don't you mean What? :evilgrin:
Yes :whistle:

PaulOfHorsham
20-01-2014, 21:08
Yes, welcome Boots60. You are particularly commended on your choice of football team. :notworthy:

Aqualung
20-01-2014, 21:20
Oh no, not another footbore supporter!

Welcome!!!
I have to say that Everards is one of my preferred regional brewers and one that I don't get the chance to drink too often.

Wittenden
20-01-2014, 22:02
Yes, welcome to the forum...

Wiganer
21-01-2014, 12:09

I'd also like to say hello, I hope to contribute soon, but I'm currently working in Azerbaijan, but I check this site every day. Looking forward to a huge session on my return next month! Meanwhile I just get my fix by checking this site everyday. Some of you may remember me by my BITE moniker, 'CarlUrmston', but I haven't actually reviewed anywhere on here yet. I hope to resolve that soon.

Wittenden
21-01-2014, 12:16
I'd also like to say hello, I hope to contribute soon, but I'm currently working in Azerbaijan, but I check this site every day. Looking forward to a huge session on my return next month! Meanwhile I just get my fix by checking this site everyday. Some of you may remember me by my BITE moniker, 'CarlUrmston', but I haven't actually reviewed anywhere on here yet. I hope to resolve that soon.
Welcome-rings a bell!

Soup Dragon
21-01-2014, 13:11
Welcome-rings a bell!

Hi, and welcome - it does with me - I thought you may have been from around my neck of the woods, but Wiganer seems to say otherwise!

ROBCamra
21-01-2014, 14:32
Hi, and welcome - it does with me - I thought you may have been from around my neck of the woods, but Wiganer seems to say otherwise!

It's not that close to Urmston either. :p

Bucking Fastard
21-01-2014, 17:28

Very pleased you have found your way to Pubsgalore.I always enjoyed your reviews on BITE ,they were thorough and accurate.Always a good steer for me when in your part of the country.Welcome and enjoy your return in Feb :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Mobyduck
21-01-2014, 18:11
Hello and welcome to you, the more the merrier . :cheers:

aleandhearty
22-01-2014, 15:29

More good news. I too remember your name from the other side. Welcome to the site. I bet those first two pints next month won't even touch the sides! Have you found anything out there worth drinking? Seems to be Xirdalan, Novxani, NZS and not much else.

Quinno
22-01-2014, 17:32

:cheers:

Good to see another defector!

Dave M
22-01-2014, 17:51
Welcome to the new members! Always nice to see new faces on here and hopefully at one of our crawls sometime! :)

Good to see another defector!

This prompted me to have a nose at BITE and noticed that some new pubs had been added, but there is some odd stuff going on such as this (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/ftsearch.shtml?search=Butchers+Arms+Sonning+Common ) and this (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/ftsearch.shtml?search=Babbling+Brook).

Quinno
22-01-2014, 21:27
This prompted me to have a nose at BITE and noticed that some new pubs had been added, but there is some odd stuff going on such as this (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/ftsearch.shtml?search=Butchers+Arms+Sonning+Common ) and this (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/ftsearch.shtml?search=Babbling+Brook).

Facepalm. They may as well turn the damned thing off and put it out of its misery.

Aqualung
22-01-2014, 23:07
Facepalm. They may as well turn the damned thing off and put it out of its misery.

I'm sorry but the last two posts don't make any sense to me at all. Can someone enlighten me please?
It may be a long drawn out task!!
I did notice that Brewdog in Shoreditch is listed. Isn't that a recent pub?

Mobyduck
23-01-2014, 06:43
I'm sorry but the last two posts don't make any sense to me at all. Can someone enlighten me please?
Or me

Mobyduck
23-01-2014, 06:52
Welcome to the new members! Always nice to see new faces on here and hopefully at one of our crawls sometime! :)

I did notice that Brewdog in Shoreditch is listed. Isn't that a recent pub?
They still haven't added the Holborn Whippet (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/77473/), I asked them to in Oct 2012. :muppet:

Wiganer
23-01-2014, 08:09
More good news. I too remember your name from the other side. Welcome to the site. I bet those first two pints next month won't even touch the sides! Have you found anything out there worth drinking? Seems to be Xirdalan, Novxani, NZS and not much else.

Apart from those mentioned above, Turkish Efes is ubiquitous here. Cold fizzy rubbish, I've quite had my fill of it, and the others are no different.
Slightly better is Baltika from St. Petersburg. They do a range of beers according to strength, with Baltika 9 the strongest. It's a pretty dark beer and is drinkable, if a little cold, but at 9% no good for a session.
Fortunately, there are a couple of expat bars with imported Fullers and St. Peter's bottles, although they're not cheap, about 4-5 pounds a pop.They serve them directly from the fridge as well, killing the taste. I tend to ask for the display bottle as a result. There's usually quite a range from Fullers.

I'm heading back via Istanbul, hoping to visit a real ale bar there run by an expat, the Bosphorous Brewing Company. Anyone been there?

Quinno
23-01-2014, 08:21

In short, they've added the same pubs multiple times. Each with a unique ID. Basic database fail. :muppet:

Aqualung
23-01-2014, 17:57
In short, they've added the same pubs multiple times. Each with a unique ID. Basic database fail. :muppet:

Thanks, I see what you are getting at now.

Boots60
26-01-2014, 11:01
Thanks to all for replays. When I posted last week I didn't really know what response to expect. Love the way this thread & other threads I've viewed have gone off on different tangents. Day in Worcester sounds good, its Mrs Boots birthday the following day so might have to juggle things a touch. Cheers & good health to all.

Dave M
29-01-2014, 10:21
They still haven't added the Holborn Whippet (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/77473/), I asked them to in Oct 2012. :muppet:
They seem to be adding a handful every day at the moment from what I can see. I've a suspicion the site may be under new ownership and they have possibly discarded the backlog but are keeping up with new submissions.

Try adding it again, they may do it now.

Mobyduck
29-01-2014, 11:02
They seem to be adding a handful every day at the moment from what I can see. I've a suspicion the site may be under new ownership and they have possibly discarded the backlog but are keeping up with new submissions.

I'll try it tonight,I'm game for a laugh.

Quinno
29-01-2014, 11:38
Tee hee they've still got this up, so any spring clean/overhaul is utterly minimal - http://blog.beerintheevening.com/2013/02/06/does-your-missus-drink-the-ale/

Melissa Cole
• a year ago

This is a joke right? You start off as Al Murray's the pub landlord, move on to basically badly reproduce an article from a national newspaper before being utterly patronising about 'softer names' and 'flavoured beers', which tells me you clearly know absolute nothing about how to engage with female beer drinkers and would sincerely appreciate it if you NEVER write about the subject again and, if possible, take this utter crap down.

NickDavies
29-01-2014, 15:17

I've suddenly started receiving updates on 'my' pubs for the first time in years. Something you said?

I notice it still claims to be owned by Neransk, who were late with their accounts again last year
https://www.duedil.com/company/05032120/neransk-limited?ref=flw#widget_gazettenoticeswidget

aleandhearty
29-01-2014, 15:19
I've suddenly started receiving updates on 'my' pubs for the first time in years.

Yes, I had one last week! You could have knocked me down with a feather.

Dave M
29-01-2014, 15:37
I notice it still claims to be owned by Neransk

It does seem to be, but one subtle change is the copyright notice at the bottom of the pages now says beerintheevening.com rather than Neransk

Al 10000
29-01-2014, 15:59
Facepalm.

What does Facepalm mean:confused:,the name cropped up again in the link to women drinking beer,even more :confused:

Mobyduck
29-01-2014, 17:58

Done it, I'll let you know when and if anything happens, don't hold your breath.

Mobyduck
29-01-2014, 18:01
I'm not sure how this thread became the BITE thread ? :confused:.

sheffield hatter
29-01-2014, 18:51
I'm not sure how this thread became the BITE thread ? :confused:.

The same way the random news of the day (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3123-Random-news-of-the-day/page139) thread became "lets have a gripe about boring brown beer". ;)

Mobyduck
29-01-2014, 19:38
The same way the random news of the day (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3123-Random-news-of-the-day/page139) thread became "lets have a gripe about boring brown beer". ;)
I blame the alcohol. :whistle:

Quinno
29-01-2014, 22:00
What does Facepalm mean:confused:,the name cropped up again in the link to women drinking beer,even more :confused:

Google is your friend - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facepalm

This gesture is not unique to humans. A group of mandrills at the Colchester Zoo has adopted a similar gesture to signal the desire to avoid social interaction or to be left alone

Farway
30-01-2014, 13:08
Google is your friend - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facepalm

This gesture is not unique to humans. A group of mandrills at the Colchester Zoo has adopted a similar gesture to signal the desire to avoid social interaction or to be left alone

I always thought staring moodily into a pint sitting at bar as "Billy no mates" in a pub did same :evilgrin:

Mobyduck
09-02-2014, 07:48

Bloody hell, its now on there! http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/42/42942/Holborn_Whippet/Camden

Aqualung
09-02-2014, 08:15
Bloody hell, its now on there! http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/42/42942/Holborn_Whippet/Camden

It may well be in the Borough of Camden but to describe the area as Camden rather than Bloomsbury seems very strange to me!

trainman
09-02-2014, 12:00
I get a load of cookie alerts plus gobbledygook if I click on that site now.

NickDavies
09-02-2014, 12:45
I think someone must be getting a grip on it, their blog has contained lists of updates for the last few days.

Al 10000
09-02-2014, 14:23
I get a load of cookie alerts plus gobbledygook if I click on that site now.

Same for me,not that i am bothered,i only go onto the site through links on the Pubs Galore Forum.