PDA

View Full Version : Randomise New Pub Game

bcfczuluarmy
16-01-2014, 20:24
Just wondering if anybody else plays the Randomise New Pub Game on http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/ the home page.

General rules are see how many button pushes till you get to a pub you've visited, a picture of you've taken or a review you've written

Got a feeling it could just be me.

Some of you will be better than other from when I play it and see the same names cropping up.

If it starts on you it doesn't count.

Aqualung
16-01-2014, 20:43
Just wondering if anybody else plays the Randomise New Pub Game on http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/ the home page.

General rules are see how many button pushes till you get to a pub you've visited, a picture of you've taken or a review you've written

Some of you will be better than other from when I play it and see the same names cropping up.

I'm one of the saddos that has done this plenty of times!! I think you'll find that Quantum Mechanics proved that Randomness is an incorrect theory dreamed up by some random bloke in the past. There is a postulation called the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle that illustrates this but I was never sure about it.

If that's a bit highbrow just follow what happens on Deal or No Deal over a period of time!

sheffield hatter
16-01-2014, 21:00
I think you'll find that Quantum Mechanics proved that Randomness is an incorrect theory dreamed up by some random bloke in the past.

...and this is even less random than that, as there are (unstated) selection criteria. For one thing, no closed pubs come up (just as well). For another, I think the pubs are selected from those with a recent review. I haven't tested this theory, but it's my impression that pubs with reviews up to a month old are the only ones available in this feature.

Here's a new game - how many times do you have to press the randomise button in order to disprove my theory?

bcfczuluarmy
16-01-2014, 21:12
I too have thought there is a link to recent activity especially as I've never seen a pub selected in Dungeness.

SH you feature quite a bit so take the points.

sheffield hatter
16-01-2014, 21:19
SH you feature quite a bit so take the points.

This fits in with my theory, because I wrote about a dozen reviews on 13th January.

Wild Rover
16-01-2014, 21:24
Yes I partake in this pastime on a fairly regular basis, but rather than count the button presses for my next photo I tend to see how many consecutive photos I can achieve.My best score to date is 4.

bcfczuluarmy
16-01-2014, 21:41
This fits in with my theory, because I wrote about a dozen reviews on 13th January.

Agree Blackthorn has been featuring a lot too, so much so that I saw a pub review in Milton Keynes pop up and it didn't fit on the screen, I knew whose name was going to be at the bottom when I scrolled down.

Regardless of it's imperfections it's still nice to see the architecture of pubs around the country whether hideous or delightful.

Aqualung
16-01-2014, 21:55
...and this is even less random than that, as there are (unstated) selection criteria. For one thing, no closed pubs come up (just as well). For another, I think the pubs are selected from those with a recent review. I haven't tested this theory, but it's my impression that pubs with reviews up to a month old are the only ones available in this feature.

Here's a new game - how many times do you have to press the randomise button in order to disprove my theory?

Putting Quantum Mechanics aside, you're correct about closed pubs and recent reviews. I think it's more than a month for the age of the review and is more likely to be a certain number of days (probably a random number but according to ...............).
Here's another hilarious game, how many times do you have to press the button before the same pub appears consecutively?

Wittenden
16-01-2014, 21:56
I too have thought there is a link to recent activity especially as I've never seen a pub selected in Dungeness.

Cue for me to slip down to the Point and visit The Britannia or The Pilot!

Blackthorn
17-01-2014, 08:12
Agree Blackthorn has been featuring a lot too, so much so that I saw a pub review in Milton Keynes pop up and it didn't fit on the screen, I knew whose name was going to be at the bottom when I scrolled down.

Not sure if that's a good thing or not! I do tend to ramble on a bit.

gillhalfpint
17-01-2014, 09:25
Never tried it, going to go and see where this button is and have a go.

gillhalfpint
17-01-2014, 09:28
Found it. Didn't know the first 12 pubs up, but the 13th was my review of the Fellows in Dudley!!!

Blackthorn
17-01-2014, 10:10
3rd pub for me, although I'm sure it wont always be that soon. The first two were London ones which I've done very few of, and then Be.In Bristol (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/67919/) - my review and Jon's photo.

I noticed in one of Jon's photos the pub is apparently called "Be.In" since they're half way through putting the new sign up!

Soup Dragon
17-01-2014, 11:35
I have played this too: I have even found myself shouting at the computer as one of my reviews hasn't popped-up after 20 clicks.

I need help.

Maldenman
17-01-2014, 11:58
I have played this too: I have even found myself shouting at the computer as one of my reviews hasn't popped-up after 20 clicks.

I need help.

Not just me then, I've been doing this for ages but if one of my own doesn't show up quite soon the darkness descends and the blood pressure rises.

Soup Dragon
17-01-2014, 12:25
Not just me then, I've been doing this for ages but if one of my own doesn't show up quite soon the darkness descends and the blood pressure rises.

I also become rabid if somebody else gets half a dozen reviews before I get any, or worse, the same review that appears TWICE! - whilst i haven't started to stick pins in a doll of Quinno yet, i have wanted Luton Town to lose on the odd occasion - mentioning no names ;)

In all seriousness - I believe they only show reviews left in the last month.

Dave M
17-01-2014, 12:41
Very good, there should be no closed pubs and they should be reviews from no more than 30 days ago. There are two other selection criteria too. :)

ROBCamra
17-01-2014, 12:45
There are two other selection criteria too. :)

No reviews from Soupy or Quinno? :evilgrin:

Dave M
17-01-2014, 12:46

There are currently odds of 397 to 1 against you getting a review on any given randomise.

sheffield hatter
17-01-2014, 12:55
There are two other selection criteria too. :)

A photograph is an obvious one.

Soup Dragon
17-01-2014, 12:57
There are currently odds of 397 to 1 against you getting a review on any given randomise.

About the same as Luton getting promoted:D

sheffield hatter
17-01-2014, 12:59
I also become rabid if somebody else gets half a dozen reviews before I get any, or worse, the same review that appears TWICE! - whilst i haven't started to stick pins in a doll of Quinno yet, i have wanted Luton Town to lose on the odd occasion - mentioning no names

Only four defeats all season and none in the league since September, suggests you don't exactly have a hotline to the gods.:p

bcfczuluarmy
17-01-2014, 13:06
I think it doesn't include reviews added on the day.

Soup Dragon
17-01-2014, 13:10
Only four defeats all season and none in the league since September, suggests you don't exactly have a hotline to the gods.:p

Good point - i'll try the doll!

I did notice, via another thread, that Real Ale Ray has a special tactic to beat the randomiser - he duplicates his reviews (well, those of Mrs RAR):)

other criteria - I would guess that that they also have to be of a certain length?

Maldenman
17-01-2014, 13:24
No one droppers?

Thanks guys, can't stop doing it now! Might have to join Randomise Anonymous.

sheffield hatter
17-01-2014, 13:29
No one droppers?

Nice one! If that's not the final criterion, it certainly ought to be.

Maldenman
17-01-2014, 13:31
[QUOTE=Soup Dragon;61540]Good point - i'll try the doll!

.QUOTE]

You should, I'd like to pay a return visit next season with Alty so I can enjoy The Bricklayers Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61697/) and go to a game where you enter through someone's back garden.

Soup Dragon
17-01-2014, 13:33
Nice one! If that's not the final criterion, it certainly ought to be.

I don't think it is - i am sure i have seen 1-post reviewers on it

ROBCamra
17-01-2014, 13:37
I don't think it is - i am sure i have seen 1-post reviewers on it

You have, I've just had this one The First & Last (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/49780/)

Dave M
17-01-2014, 13:38

That is true, it updates the list of possibilities overnight. Otherwise the server load would slow down the whole site if people ever started playing the randomise new pub game! ;)

other criteria - I would guess that that they also have to be of a certain length?
Yep, that is the other one.

No one droppers?

Nice idea, I may try to include that at some point.

sheffield hatter
17-01-2014, 13:50
I'd like to pay a return visit next season with Alty so I can enjoy The Bricklayers Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61697/) and go to a game where you enter through someone's back garden.

You'll have to bring plenty of supporters with you - Luton Town now let home supporters into the Oak Road End instead when the away support is below a certain number (and they get a small section at the other end of the ground). For example, I went in that end of the ground, which was the traditional home fans end when I first started going in 1969/70, for the game against Southport (16 supporters) in November and the same applied for the visit of Gateshead (23) in December, but both Kidderminster (203) and Barnet (292) had use of that end.

Apologies to those not interested in non-league football. The Bricklayers Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61697/) is an excellent pub, though - one of the few good reasons (apart from football) for visiting Luton.

Maldenman
17-01-2014, 14:05
You'll have to bring plenty of supporters with you - Luton Town now let home supporters into the Oak Road End instead when the away support is below a certain number (and they get a small section at the other end of the ground). For example, I went in that end of the ground, which was the traditional home fans end when I first started going in 1969/70, for the game against Southport (16 supporters) in November and the same applied for the visit of Gateshead (23) in December, but both Kidderminster (203) and Barnet (292) had use of that end.

Apologies to those not interested in non-league football. The Bricklayers Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61697/) is an excellent pub, though - one of the few good reasons (apart from football) for visiting Luton.

My first visit to K Rd was in your last league season for the FA Cup tie, 0-0 draw, we took about 400 for that, my only other game was the league game the following season, we got the same end but only brought around 150 for that. Not been since but hopefully we can get up this season, even via the play offs, we are good enough, just frustratingly inconsistent. Luton should be back in the league, they will be one day I'm sure.

AlanH
18-01-2014, 06:05

I think I would be up all night waiting for one of my reviews!

I count who comes up and see who is the first person to score ten.
In the last game, Soup was leading at half time but faded to third. Real Ale Ray got to nine, but Rex Ratus came through on the rails to win.:notworthy: Fearless Al came strong late to beat Will Sheff into 4th. I bet Al would have won if closed pubs came up!
Must get out more - to the pub of course to get some new reviews in.

Quinno
18-01-2014, 09:26
I also become rabid if somebody else gets half a dozen reviews before I get any, or worse, the same review that appears TWICE! - whilst i haven't started to stick pins in a doll of Quinno yet, i have wanted Luton Town to lose on the odd occasion - mentioning no names ;)

I tend to do my reviews in batches so every now and again I'll clog up the front page but at other times (about now, I imagine) there won't be much. I have about 30 waiting from the festive period but need a good run of spare time to do the reviewing (a time when Mrs Quinno is off doing her good works and I am at a loose end myself).

Strongers
18-01-2014, 13:06
Since the trip to Leeds I've been to three pubs so you won't find me on there :(

AlanH
18-01-2014, 18:48
Since the trip to Leeds I've been to three pubs so you won't find me on there :(

You scored 4 on my "First to Ten" game!

bcfczuluarmy
18-01-2014, 18:59
New game see how many JDW's you can get in a row.

aleandhearty
20-01-2014, 16:11

Oh, FFS! Took 34 clicks before The Duck & Drake, Leeds came up. I've lost my reviewing mojo at the moment, so when a pub comes up with a personal review and picture, it's like winning the lottery.

Wittenden
20-01-2014, 18:25
Oh, FFS! Took 34 clicks before The Duck & Drake, Leeds came up. I've lost my reviewing mojo at the moment, so when a pub comes up with a personal review and picture, it's like winning the lottery.

Me too!

Maldenman
20-01-2014, 20:56

Lost mine too for a bit, finally got out and picked up a couple of destination boozers on Saturday. Funny time of year isn't it, I always feel a bit deflated.

Soup Dragon
21-01-2014, 10:47
Yep, that is the other one.

Just how short do they have to be to be ineligible - i have just seen a randomised review that has three words!

sheffield hatter
27-01-2014, 16:07

That is true, it updates the list of possibilities overnight. Otherwise the server load would slow down the whole site if people ever started playing the randomise new pub game! ;)

I've just had a quick round of Randomise, and the first pub with my review on was one that I wrote today!

Dave M
27-01-2014, 17:03
I've just had a quick round of Randomise, and the first pub with my review on was one that I wrote today!

Hmm, well that shows what I know then! There is a lot to this site that I really don't understand.

Al 10000
27-01-2014, 17:08
Hmm, well that shows what I know then! There is a lot to this site that I really don't understand.

That makes two of us then Dave :D

sheffield hatter
27-01-2014, 20:51

OMG! What chance do the rest of us have, then?

Mobyduck
27-01-2014, 21:35
OMG! What chance do the rest of us have, then?
Slim

Strongers
29-01-2014, 01:35
Remember when we were in Leeds? that was the last time I ventured into a pub :(

sheffield hatter
29-01-2014, 07:30

No!!!!

That's tragic. :eek::eek::eek:

aleandhearty
29-01-2014, 15:11

Bloody Hell! you haven't checked into The Priory have you? Seriously, I seem to remember you saying you had finals coming up, so the abstinence is understandable. Hopefully, it'll all be worth it.

Quinno
29-01-2014, 21:58
Bloody Hell! you haven't checked into The Priory have you? Seriously, I seem to remember you saying you had finals coming up, so the abstinence is understandable. Hopefully, it'll all be worth it.

Aye. good luck to you Strongers! :cheers: