PDA

View Full Version : Help with travel planning in London

Al 10000
05-01-2014, 17:26
I have just booked tickets to go to London on the 25th of January,my first London visit for a few years.

I am travelling by National Express coach arriving at Victoria at 10.50am,i intend doing all pubs in East Dulwich east of the rail lines,plus a few near Peckham Rye station.

I know London quite well but wanted to know the quickest way to get to Peckham Rye station from Victoria coach station,i dont mind changing trains or usuing buses,i have looked at trian options but they only seem to run every 30 mins from Victoria.

Clapham Junction seems a better option,but some of you Londeners may know a bus or other trains that will get me there quicker.

Thanks Alan

Bucking Fastard
05-01-2014, 17:49
I have just booked tickets to go to London on the 25th of January,my first London visit for a few years.

I am travelling by National Express coach arriving at Victoria at 10.50am,i intend doing all pubs in East Dulwich east of the rail lines,plus a few near Peckham Rye station.

I know London quite well but wanted to know the quickest way to get to Peckham Rye station from Victoria coach station,i dont mind changing trains or usuing buses,i have looked at trian options but they only seem to run every 30 mins from Victoria.

Clapham Junction seems a better option,but some of you Londeners may know a bus or other trains that will get me there quicker.

Thanks Alan

Alan,
I would say that the quickest route is to take the train from Victoria to Peckham Rye,the journey time is only around 12 minutes but the service is,as you say,half hourly.Time for a quick one in the 'spoons at Victoria Station ? Believe it or not it's in the 2014 GBG:glass:

rpadam
05-01-2014, 17:52

Thanks Alan
Best thing is to use the Transport for London journey planner; a quick version is available from the front page of the TfL website, or the fuller version here:

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en
NB - You can use various search options: station or bus stop name, postcode, address, etc.

Al 10000
05-01-2014, 18:07
Alan,
I would say that the quickest route is to take the train from Victoria to Peckham Rye,the journey time is only around 12 minutes but the service is,as you say,half hourly.Time for a quick one in the 'spoons at Victoria Station ? Believe it or not it's in the 2014 GBG:glass:

Ive already done that Spoons,plus most pubs in the Victoria area,as you probably know i dont like revisiting pubs that i have alrady done when travelling,this is what is causing my problem being dropped off at Victoria coach station,not sure if i can get a travel card and the train in 20 minutes from the coach station.

Thanks for that BF

Aslo thanks rpadam,i will take a look at that site and see what comes from it.

Cheers Alan

Aqualung
05-01-2014, 19:33
Ive already done that Spoons,plus most pubs in the Victoria area,as you probably know i dont like revisiting pubs that i have alrady done when travelling,this is what is causing my problem being dropped off at Victoria coach station,not sure if i can get a travel card and the train in 20 minutes from the coach station.

Thanks for that BF

Aslo thanks rpadam,i will take a look at that site and see what comes from it.

Cheers Alan

If you just miss the BR train at Victoria then it might be worth getting any train to Clapham Junction and getting the Overground to Peckham Rye. It's a bit of a trek across the bridge but at least you will be making progress. The Victoria Station Spoons is the most expensive one in London!

The TFL Journey planner doesn't always give you the best info but works most of the time.

trainman
06-01-2014, 11:41
Unlucky that the Victoria service is only 2 an hour on the Saturday (4 per hour weekdays), but I doubt you can beat that 12min journey, even with a small wait.
There are 4 per hour from Clapham, but then you still need to wait for your connection and still 15mins from there to PR, so I'd bite the bullet and see how you get on at Victoria - if you do arrive 10:50 at the coach station, the 11:09 should be about perfect.
Other route is from London Bridge but, again, change of tube etc to get there make that impracticable...

NickDavies
06-01-2014, 15:37
Well the 36 or 436 will take you from Victoria to Peckham, you won't wait more than five minutes or so before one or the other shows up, though you'll be on for half an hour with a following wind.

If you stick to buses the most you will pay all day on Oyster is £4.40, ie three and a bit rides.

Al 10000
06-01-2014, 16:42
Thanks for all your help.

I have just found out that Boris has scrapped the zones 1-2 and 2-4 travel cards,all will now be Zone 1-6 costing £9.00,this seems a bit too much having only paid £15 return from Nottingham.

I dont have the faintest idea how the Oyster card works or how you buy one when up here in Nottingham,i will still be going down,is my best option getting a day return from Victoria to Peckham Rye for £5.60,i would have prefered a travel card as this keeps my options open.

Any help with this situation would be appreciated.

I also forgot to say,if any members want a blast round a minimum of 21 pubs in the Peckahm Rye/East Dulwick/Nunhead areas i would be happy to meet up,this will be quite a quick crawl,my coach leaves Victoria at 6.00pm,so i want to get the 17.15 from PR back to Vic.

Aqualung
06-01-2014, 18:04
Thanks for all your help.

I have just found out that Boris has scrapped the zones 1-2 and 2-4 travel cards,all will now be Zone 1-6 costing £9.00,this seems a bit too much having only paid £15 return from Nottingham.

I dont have the faintest idea how the Oyster card works or how you buy one when up here in Nottingham,i will still be going down,is my best option getting a day return from Victoria to Peckham Rye for £5.60,i would have prefered a travel card as this keeps my options open.

Any help with this situation would be appreciated.

I also forgot to say,if any members want a blast round a minimum of 21 pubs in the Peckahm Rye/East Dulwick/Nunhead areas i would be happy to meet up,this will be quite a quick crawl,my coach leaves Victoria at 6.00pm,so i want to get the 17.15 from PR back to Vic.

I wasn't aware that the 1-4 Travelcard had gone, that's a total disgrace.
I think your best bet may be to get an Oyster Card and a cheap day return. There is a cap on bus journeys that used to be around two quid. Having said that, there is a £5 refundable deposit on buying an Oyster Card, so unless you envisage using it again it might be worth getting a paper one day Travelcard at Victoria. If you decide to get an Oyster card you can get it in advance from Oyster Online. I would imagine you could book your day return in advance from South East Trains (or is it Southern?).

It seems rather unfair that I can swan around London for nothing, including the rush hour simply for being an old git, but it was also Boris that extended the travel to the rush hour.

I'll pass on the 21 pub crawl, I only drink pints and won't go in keg only or pubs selling just one boring beer. I went to the Kentish Drover Spoons in Peckham a few months ago and that was pretty uninspiring, although it was an interesting building.

NickDavies
06-01-2014, 19:09
I wasn't aware that the 1-4 Travelcard had gone, that's a total disgrace.

1-4 travelcard still exits but only on Oyster as £7.70 daily price cap

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/tube-dlr-lo-adult-fares-jan-2014.pdf

Al 10000
17-01-2014, 14:36
1-4 travelcard still exits but only on Oyster as £7.70 daily price cap

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/tube-dlr-lo-adult-fares-jan-2014.pdf

I have borrowed an Oyster card,can i use it on the train from Victoria to Peckham Rye,or is just for underground trains.

Thanks Alan

trainman
17-01-2014, 18:22
I have borrowed an Oyster card,can i use it on the train from Victoria to Peckham Rye,or is just for underground trains.

Thanks Alan
Yep, oyster is for trains/buses/trams/tubes, just remember to tap/scan in & out at each end, even if the gates are open... (tho only in on bus/tram),
Two singles on oyster should work out a little cheaper than a paper ticket on train, but you want to know there's enough on the oyster card, if pay-as-you-go, to get you out at each end (£6 in this case?).

Al 10000
10-02-2014, 16:52
I have just bought an Oyster card online,this is a normal Oyster card not a visitor one,i have put £5.00 on and the card cost me another £5.00,it says this is refundable,does this mean i can go down London next Wednesday and travel about without having to put any more money on it.

Thanks Alan

sheffield hatter
10-02-2014, 16:58
I have just bought an Oyster card online,this is a normal Oyster card not a visitor one,i have put £5.00 on and the card cost me another £5.00,it says this is refundable,does this mean i can go down London next Wednesday and travel about without having to put any more money on it.

Thanks Alan

I think the £5 fee is refundable if you decide that you're never ever going to use the Oyster card again, e.g. you take a one way trip to Planet Zorg, or you enter a coma caused by drinking too much Thornbridge Jaipur. The other £5 is loaded onto the card and will be used to cover the cost of your journeys on bus and tube. When you flash it against the card reader it will show £5, not £10, as your card balance.

NickDavies
15-02-2014, 15:17
I think the £5 fee is refundable if you decide that you're never ever going to use the Oyster card again, e.g. you take a one way trip to Planet Zorg, or you enter a coma caused by drinking too much Thornbridge Jaipur. The other £5 is loaded onto the card and will be used to cover the cost of your journeys on bus and tube. When you flash it against the card reader it will show £5, not £10, as your card balance.

If you are planning to use anything other than buses and trams you 'll need at least a tenner on your card. It takes a maximum fare, usually £7.50, when you enter the system, and credits you back the difference when you exit. Buses and trams just take the £1.45 flat fare.

They'll refund the deposit and remaining credit if you give the card up.

Al 10000
15-02-2014, 17:57
If you are planning to use anything other than buses and trams you 'll need at least a tenner on your card. It takes a maximum fare, usually £7.50, when you enter the system, and credits you back the difference when you exit. Buses and trams just take the £1.45 flat fare.

They'll refund the deposit and remaining credit if you give the card up.

Thanks for that Nick,

Where would be the best place to top up my Oyster card when i am in London,

I am arriving at Victoria coach station and was going to get the District or Circle line to Tower Hill then go to Bank for the DLR to Limehouse,do i need to top it up before i travel on the tube.

Cheers Alan

NickDavies
16-02-2014, 09:37
Thanks for that Nick,

Where would be the best place to top up my Oyster card when i am in London,

I am arriving at Victoria coach station and was going to get the District or Circle line to Tower Hill then go to Bank for the DLR to Limehouse,do i need to top it up before i travel on the tube.

Cheers Alan

As will as tube stations you can add credit at lots of paper shops and similar, the sort of places that sell lottery tickets. Looks like there's a place in Victoria Coach station.

http://ticketstoplocator.tfl.gov.uk/LocationLocator/

Off peak single in Zones 1/2 is £2.20 (£2.80 peak) - a tenner will be enough if you only do two rides. Plan any more and you'll need about £15 to give you enough 'float' to get you in the system though the most you can pay all day is £7, but more if you travel in the morning peak

You can change at Monument for the DLR unless you want to do a few City pubs on the way.

Al 10000
17-02-2014, 15:06
As will as tube stations you can add credit at lots of paper shops and similar, the sort of places that sell lottery tickets. Looks like there's a place in Victoria Coach station.

http://ticketstoplocator.tfl.gov.uk/LocationLocator/

Off peak single in Zones 1/2 is £2.20 (£2.80 peak) - a tenner will be enough if you only do two rides. Plan any more and you'll need about £15 to give you enough 'float' to get you in the system though the most you can pay all day is £7, but more if you travel in the morning peak

You can change at Monument for the DLR unless you want to do a few City pubs on the way.

Thanks for all of your help Nick,

I was going to get off at Monument for a quick change to Bank DLR,i posted it wrong,i meant to say i was getting a tube heading towards Tower Hill.

I have already done most proper pubs in EC2,EC3 and EC4 so not really worth walking round the city area.

Cheers Alan

Al 10000
27-09-2014, 17:39
Ime off down London next Saturday,

is there anywhere where i can top up my oyster card at St Pancrass station without having to go to the tube and wait for ages to do this.

Thanks Alan

rpadam
27-09-2014, 20:47

is there anywhere where i can top up my oyster card at St Pancrass station without having to go to the tube and wait for ages to do this.

Thanks Alan
You can now use a contactless bank card in the same way as an Oyster card and at the same rates.

Aqualung
27-09-2014, 23:18

Thanks Alan

If you are in a suburban area then look out for corner shops with the Oyster logo on them.
If you are using the Overground then I think that their stations deal with Oyster. If you are using a tube station then they should all be able to deal with an Oyster card IF the ticket office is open.

london calling
28-09-2014, 21:06
You can top-up online at TFL.

Aqualung
28-09-2014, 23:00
You can top-up online at TFL.

Good point, but Al admits he's not that good with computer issues. Maybe he could get his son to do it for him.

hondo
29-09-2014, 07:17
i have mine set to automatically top up

Gann
29-09-2014, 10:17
Most major stations now have several stand alone Oyster Top up machines installed and the new ones look like pillars with an LCD screen in the middle rather than the hole in the wall machines.. So look out for these and the days of having to queue up for the ticket are beginning to pass..

Al 10000
29-09-2014, 16:46
Thanks for your replys,

I car'nt access my Oyster account on line because i forgot my username and password the day after getting it,i emailed them asking what they were but only got my username,they wont give me my password, probably think i have nicked the card.

These are everyday problems that i get with stupid passwords that i can never remember.

I will have a look for one of those pillar thingys but hope they take cash,if not it will be a long wait at St Pancrass tube to top my card up which really winds me up.

Once again thanks Alan

london calling
29-09-2014, 20:37
No topping up for me.When you are 60 you can get a free oyster from Tfl if you live I London. I would have to wait to 65 to get a free pass from my local council. Result.

Al 10000
08-02-2015, 15:09
Ime back again on this thread,

I am going to London next Saturday and have two pub crawls planned so if there are line closures i can do the other one.

My question for Londoners is the Oyster card valid if going to Bromley South by train from Victoria.

Thanks Alan

Pubsignman
08-02-2015, 16:16
My question for Londoners is the Oyster card valid if going to Bromley South by train from Victoria.

Thanks Alan

Hi Alan - yes, the Oyster card is still valid for train journeys to Bromley South. Hope you have a good day out - the Bromley pub scene has made some slight improvements in the last couple of years, so you should find some decent beer on your way round.

Al 10000
08-02-2015, 16:24
Hi Alan - yes, the Oyster card is still valid for train journeys to Bromley South. Hope you have a good day out - the Bromley pub scene has made some slight improvements in the last couple of years, so you should find some decent beer on your way round.

Thanks for the quick reply Pubsignman,

Another quick question is the Oyster card valid on Souteastern trains from Stratford to St Pancrass.

Thanks Alan

Pubsignman
08-02-2015, 16:37
Thanks for the quick reply Pubsignman,

Another quick question is the Oyster card valid on Souteastern trains from Stratford to St Pancrass.

Thanks Alan

I don't think you can use it on that route. Generally you can use a Pay As You Go Oyster card on any train journey within zones 1-9, but there are a few exceptions to this and the high speed Southeastern service between Stratford International and St Pancras International is one such exception.

Al 10000
08-02-2015, 17:32
I don't think you can use it on that route. Generally you can use a Pay As You Go Oyster card on any train journey within zones 1-9, but there are a few exceptions to this and the high speed Southeastern service between Stratford International and St Pancras International is one such exception.

Thanks for all of this information Pubsignman.

Aqualung
08-02-2015, 20:49

Thanks Alan

I'm pretty certain you can't.
If you're down early and looking to go to the Stratford Spoons it's a fair distance from the International Station. The quickest way to Statford from King's X may be getting the Northbound Victoria Line to Highbury and Islington (the next stop) and the Overground from there round to Sratford, but you do need to check the TFL site for planned engineering.

Alesonly
08-02-2015, 22:54
Dont forget you can also use any bank card with touch and pay /contactless payment it charges the same as on oyster even capping at the same rate for zones used this can be used on all services within London Bus National rail and Tube. P/s I get free travel all over Staff.:D

Aqualung
08-02-2015, 23:32
Dont forget you can also use any bank card with touch and pay /contactless payment it charges the same as on oyster even capping at the same rate for zones used this can be used on all services within London Bus National rail and Tube. P/s I get free travel all over Staff.:D

Good point, but I don't have a clue whether I have a touch and pay bank card!

Pubsignman
09-02-2015, 00:17
Good point, but I don't have a clue whether I have a touch and pay bank card!

If your bank card has a contactless payment symbol on it, then you can use it in the same way an Oystercard - This link shows what the symbol looks like: http://www.smile.co.uk/assets/images/smile/contactless/contactless-debit-card.png

Aqualung
09-02-2015, 08:40
If your bank card has a contactless payment symbol on it, then you can use it in the same way an Oystercard - This link shows what the symbol looks like: http://www.smile.co.uk/assets/images/smile/contactless/contactless-debit-card.png

Thanks for that.
I have no idea what the contactless symbol looks like! I don't need oyster as I have a coffin-dodger's pass which saves me a fortune. I've seen the contactless thing advertised in my local Spoons but I really don't like the idea of paying for pints with a card. I bet the likes of Brewdog and other rip-off places use it a lot as nobody could afford to drink there uusing cash.

hondo
09-02-2015, 10:09
Ime back again on this thread,

I am going to London next Saturday and have two pub crawls planned so if there are line closures i can do the other one.

Thanks Alan

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/forms/12392.aspx

juliadavid
07-01-2021, 05:29
How is the COVID situation in London guys? I'm planning to travel next month with my children because of some personal issues. Are travel companies and agencies have any restrictions on the number of people? I will travel from Michigan.

rpadam
07-01-2021, 07:18
How is the COVID situation in London guys? I'm planning to travel next month with my children because of some personal issues. Are travel companies and agencies have any restrictions on the number of people? I will travel from Michigan.
Unfortunately, you may not even get into the country at the moment; and if you do, all hotels are essentially closed, you can't meet anybody indoors, and only one person outdoors.

However, the situation constantly changes, so keep looking at the UK government website here: Coronavirus (COVID‑19) (https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus).

juliadavid
07-01-2021, 08:38
Hi rpadam (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/member.php?11983-rpadam),
Thank you very much for your guidance.