PDA

View Full Version : Us, and our dogs, or whatever pet rings your bell.....

runningdog
08-03-2010, 23:02
Threads about folk and their pets seem universally popular, regardless of site. So, I thought, why not here?
Dogs have been my passion as long as I can remember. One of the penalties of growing 'old' is that I realise far more dogs have gone before than are still to come. Given that, here is 'Boy', the first dog I can truly call mine own.
He was a Morrocan bred Malinois that I rescued from an idiot of an owner who had no idea what he had got. At two years old he weighed less than 30lb and couldn't walk a mile without resting.
In truth he was magnificent. I had three RAF police dogs during my time in the service, I would have, and on a couple of occasions did, trust my life to any of the three. Boy eclipsed them all. When with Boy, evil feared us.
The first pic shows Boy after I'd had him for three months, the last about a week before he died. The one in the middle is of him and Mrs 'rd'. It is blurred, nowt I can do about that, but it is probably my favourite photo of all those I've taken.

Ps As you may notice I've managed to reverse the pics:nishelypished:the Beast is gone

ETA
09-03-2010, 06:25
SInce I've always had dogs, and have frequently been the subject of speciesist abuse and discrimination because of it, I can sympathise.

How many times are we told we can't take dogs into our local because:

"They're unhygienic" - by someone who clearly hasn't showered or changed their clothes in living memory?
"They're a trip hazard" - by the owner of an unruly child?
"We serve food" - in a place where the chef/cook/slop jockey is wearing filthy whites and has dirty nails?
"They smell" - not as much as you do to them?

I always ask before taking my dog in, and most publicans, to be fair, are OK with it.

The best answers, and probably the most honest, are:

"Because it's my pub and my rules" - appreciate the frankness.
"We have our own dog(s)/cat/rabbit/wildebeest* and don't want any trouble" - again, fair enough as not all dogs are as tolerant of other animals as mine.

*Delete as applicable.

{Steps back to watch the fur fly}

trainman
09-03-2010, 07:54
Two Welshies, 7 & going on 3. These were taken in France Aug08 so Polly (the taller one) must've been just one at the time. Millie has a degenerative eye condition & her sight's almost gone but she's still reasonably chirpy. The grumpy old boy went 3yrs ago (nearly 16) so Polly was bought as company for Mills. At £800 a pup, maybe she should've had a litter before being 'done'!

RogerB
09-03-2010, 08:01
We used to have 3 cats :love::love::love:. The last one (Mabbs) died in July (aged 18) and I still really miss her. Every time I go downstairs or get in from work I still expect her to come leaping at me with claws outstretched - I was always her favourite scratching post. I couldn't have any more pets - too much hassle when we go away. Now I just talk to the chilli plants growing in my bathroom.

199 198
No's 2 and 3 - Lynx & Mabbs
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/images/misc/pencil.png

runningdog
09-03-2010, 08:05
Two Welshies, 7 & going on 3.

Lookin at Millies' ears, I guess she's a terrier thru and thru. I've popped the youngsters pic on me screen saver, I see that it's No. 4922..........

runningdog
09-03-2010, 08:09
Every time I go downstairs or get in from work I still expect her to come leaping at me with claws outstretched
Know what you mean, MrB. Boy became the ghost at the top of the stairs. To me, ghosts are things that should be there and aren't..........

ETA
09-03-2010, 08:24
As Devine Comedy puts it:

"...Every horse has its year and every dog its day, my son
So the only thing to feel sad about is
All the dogs and the horses you'll have to outlive

...But as the curtains close and the last prayers are said
All my dogs and my horses appear round my bed
They have come to say one last goodbye "

A cheery thought for a Tuesday morning.

trainman
09-03-2010, 08:28
and I still really miss her.

Yes, it's a heartbreaker for sure. When we were left with no choice but to take the old fella to the vet for the last time it was shattering. Got very drunk very quickly that night...

Lookin at Millies' ears, I guess she's a terrier thru and thru.

They've both got fantastic temperaments rd, but M's ears are a fault in a Welsh - they should be forward & flat to the head. Not that we ever considered showing these two - too many faults but, like all pet owners, we wouldn't swap 'em.

BTW, another thread mentioned Billy, a Jack Russell. Reminded me of the splendid Cow & Plough in Oadby where the Steamin Billy beer range is named after the owner's Jack Russell & the dog appears in various pictorial adventures on the pumpclips.

RogerB
09-03-2010, 08:41
When we were left with no choice but to take the old fella to the vet for the last time it was shattering.

Fortunately I have never had to make that decision. Cat No 1 disappeared - we never found out what happened to him - he was almost blind and getting on and probably just knew his tiime was up so wandered off to a quiet place in someone's garden. No's. 2 & 3 both went downhill very rapidly, No 2 died sitting my lap as we were trying to call a vet late at night and No 3 was fine in the morning when we went out for the day. Came back and she was tucked away under a table with very little strength. Wasn't even interested in her favourite Marmite. I half knew she wouldn't last the night and I didn't sleep a wink. Got up extra early and she was gone. The house has felt half empty ever since.

an_ecumenical_matter
09-03-2010, 08:47
Elivis is the king,but alas he lives with my ex. He's never been to the pub,but I'm sure he'd get on well. He'd be far friendlier at least than the Wellymoggy at the Wellington in Birmingham!!!! But maybe that cat just learned the unfriendly ways from the rest of the staff......:(

hopwas
09-03-2010, 09:04
He'd be far friendlier at least than the Wellymoggy at the Wellington in Birmingham!!!! But maybe that cat just learned the unfriendly ways from the rest of the staff......:(

I had a photos of that cat in my window gallery but deleted it! I'll try to take a snap of the cat next time I go to Welly..

A cat at White Horse, Harbourne is one of friendiest cat I ever came across and kept coming to me expect me to feed him/her!

RogerB
09-03-2010, 09:13
I must admit, if there is a dog or a cat in a pub I am usually among the first to cajole it in my direction for a stroke. Some people detest seeing animals in pubs (John Bonsor :notworthy: is notorious for his dislike of all things furry interfering with his pint) but I personally think it all adds to a pubs character when Fido is sniffing around for a half empty crisp packet or Tiddles struts about guarding his territory.

Strongers
09-03-2010, 09:54
I can’t stand cats and be allergic to them doesn’t help. I normally cut my visit short if there is a cat present as the stay isn’t really worth the scratchy throat and wheezing. I don’t mind dogs as long as they are under control, a bit like kids and drunks really.

ETA
09-03-2010, 09:55
Well, if the bureaucrats have their way, our pets will eventually be a thing of the past. Latest piece of rubbish from Whitehall about dogs is here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8556195.stm

Trouble is it affects all dog owners, not just the irresponsible ones. Of course, I believe that the Government is doing this for our own good, and the thought of the extra revenue they will receive in VAT when 15 million dog owners take out compulsory dog insurance didn't cross their minds.

trainman
09-03-2010, 10:00
Ok, since I mentioned the old boy Jasper, here he is on his ski-ing holiday in Les Gets. I don't ski, neither did he, we tagged along & walked down the mountain. Something of a surprise to a group of cross country skiers (ski de fond?) when they rounded a bend to find him with a fold-away water bowl & me with a can of beer & an English paper half way up/down the mountain. Also, later, with a young Mills who we like to think kept him going a bit longer.

Strongers
09-03-2010, 10:07
Well, if the bureaucrats have their way, our pets will eventually be a thing of the past. Latest piece of rubbish from Whitehall about dogs is here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8556195.stm

Trouble is it affects all dog owners, not just the irresponsible ones. Of course, I believe that the Government is doing this for our own good, and the thought of the extra revenue they will receive in VAT when 15 million dog owners take out compulsory dog insurance didn't cross their minds.

I just saw it on the news and thought the same… disgraceful!

On a plus note my gran and granddad still look after my goldfish Fred and Charlie which I won at the fair when I was four. This makes them both 30 years old now, must be a record!:)

Conrad
09-03-2010, 10:47
I can’t stand cats and be allergic to them doesn’t help. I normally cut my visit short if there is a cat present as the stay isn’t really worth the scratchy throat and wheezing. I don’t mind dogs as long as they are under control, a bit like kids and drunks really.

Just to say I agree with this 100%, in recent years my allergies have been in overdrive and a dog just has to look at me the wrong way and I am crying for the rest of the night, so under control is a bit of a must. I do agree a well behaved dog adds character though.

There was an interesting non-debate about this on the Today programme this morning (http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_8557000/8557099.stm), and Manky mentioned it in his blog last week (http://mankybadger.blogspot.com/2010/03/1-march-2010-monday-news.html) so I have had a little time to think on it. Having heard the debate I am leaning towards the dog licence, whilst I take the point that those who don't care about such things will just ignore the law, the policeman on the Today program pointed out that at least in these cases they can now just confiscate the dogs rather than having to go through long and faulty legal processes. My view is also tainted by having known a few dogs that I didn't consider well cared for and I suspect a higher barrier to entry may at least reduce some of this casual miscaring.

ETA
09-03-2010, 11:03
...I am leaning towards the dog licence, whilst I take the point that those who don't care about such things will just ignore the law, the policeman on the Today program pointed out that at least in these cases they can now just confiscate the dogs rather than having to go through long and faulty legal processes.

Yes, I can see the merits of this. The fee should be enough to cover the cost of administration and no more. Those people who claim they can't afford a modest fee probably wouldn't be able to afford a dog anyway. But I suspect that like every other fee-based scheme, it woudl soon be viewed as a way of topping up funding for other public services.

Sorry didn't mean to get political.

Conrad
09-03-2010, 11:12
Yes, I can see the merits of this. The fee should be enough to cover the cost of administration and no more. Those people who claim they can't afford a modest fee probably wouldn't be able to afford a dog anyway. But I suspect that like every other fee-based scheme, it woudl soon be viewed as a way of topping up funding for other public services.

Sorry didn't mean to get political.
It's a fair point, I just wish all taxes/bills were transparent, it gets on my nerves how they just find new names and excuses to mug you.

I should have said though, any licence should only be the cost of administration, when I said barrier to entry it wasn't about the money more about the taking the effort to be above board about your pet.

Farway
09-03-2010, 12:00
I suspect the dog chip idea will come to nought as a silver haired, forgetful, 90 year old granny is slung in jail for not having old Fido, age 18, chipped, whilst local chav with pit bull gets a ticking off

Conrad
09-03-2010, 13:12
I suspect the dog chip idea will come to nought as a silver haired, forgetful, 90 year old granny is slung in jail for not having old Fido, age 18, chipped, whilst local chav with pit bull gets a ticking off
Well clearly you don't try it on anyone who can fight back ;)

runningdog
09-03-2010, 18:43
Those people who claim they can't afford a modest fee probably wouldn't be able to afford a dog anyway. But I suspect that like every other fee-based scheme, it woudl soon be viewed as a way of topping up funding for other public services.

Can't agree with your first point, ETA, it's clear that you don't live on a shrinking income. I do, and while I can and will, if at all possible, keep dogs, it will be at the expense of something else. I'm not on the breadline, but many elderly dog owners are, and, for some of them any extra expense will be a burden. In this case an unnecessary one.
I do, however, agree with the second. The dog licence has never worked properly in the past, as ever, the law-abiding bought theirs, nobody else did. And it still cost the country money, which was why it was dropped in the first place.
Politicians:mad:Control freaks, the lot of them:moremad:

oldboots
09-03-2010, 19:30
This is our little shite-hound, when people ask what breed he is I usually say Shite-hound ;), I said that to someone and he replied "oh that's that Japanese breed isn't it? :D

Once they get that I say "Middlesbrough Terrier", (after all he is a terrier and he comes from Middlesbrough), someone thought that sounded like a very dangerous breed of dog :D

He also walks with a limp and runs on three legs because he's got no road sense and was knocked down in Middlesbrough before we got him. Allegedly he is a Jack Russell crossed with a Whippet.

arwkrite
09-03-2010, 19:47
My last dog was a Labrador/Boxer bitch named Kipper. A lovely natured dog and a real character.When my first wife died 20 years ago Kipper was my closest companion during the dark times.Devoted ( she hated any girlfriends) , a friendly face to come home to, and a companion on long walks which were never long enough for her.

Oggwyn Trench
09-03-2010, 19:56
My last dog was a Jack Russel i inheireted from me Grandad who found him as a stray a couple of weeks before me Nan died , he was only a puppy but was fully house trained and despite the usual letters in the local shop and the like he was never claimed , me Grandad always said he was sent to look after him after me Nan died

Delboy20
09-03-2010, 20:03
Hi all,

Always been more of a pussy man myself !!! - Sorry couldn't resist that.

I grew up owning dogs and cats and have a soft spot for both. I still have 2 cats, Smudge and Charlie.

Never mind micro-chipping dogs, I'd like to be able to micro - chip dogshit and then it could be returned to its rightful owner along with the fine !!

Cheers,

Del.

Gann
09-03-2010, 20:24
Tropical Fish anyone.... ?

That'll just be me then, and I'll spare you pictures of my Clown loaches..

Oggwyn Trench
09-03-2010, 20:49
Tropical Fish anyone.... ?

That'll just be me then, and I'll spare you pictures of my Clown loaches..

I got a Shibunkin and a Goldfish (my sons really) , really fancy getting a tropical tank , will have to see how the finances go

RogerB
09-03-2010, 20:52
I'd like to be able to micro - chip dogshit and then it could be returned to its rightful owner along with the fine !!

If I see the post advertised, I'll be sure to let you know.

Tilly-Miss
09-03-2010, 21:38
Fantastic pictures and good reading guys,some heartbreaking stories of your beloved pets got me thinking of my last jack who was with me for 18 fantastic years day and night...vowed never to have another but then came along tilly-miss and the rest you know.really enjoyed reading all the posts on this subject thank you all.

ETA
10-03-2010, 06:05
Can't agree with your first point, ETA, it's clear that you don't live on a shrinking income. I do, and while I can and will, if at all possible, keep dogs, it will be at the expense of something else. I'm not on the breadline, but many elderly dog owners are, and, for some of them any extra expense will be a burden. In this case an unnecessary one.
I do, however, agree with the second. The dog licence has never worked properly in the past, as ever, the law-abiding bought theirs, nobody else did. And it still cost the country money, which was why it was dropped in the first place.
Politicians:mad:Control freaks, the lot of them:moremad:

I take your point. Trouble is it doesn't matter how you legislate or charge, two constants remain - there will always be irresponsible and inappropriate dog owners (those who want a dog as a status symbol or who can't look after one), and the government will always take a cut of anything we pay for.

arwkrite
10-03-2010, 07:06
Yet more data for your personal file those nice people in Government keep on you. Yet another buff envelope to annually pop through the letter box threatening you with a future including a criminal record. Mind you it will find something those useless CPSOs to do without much training or risk to themselves. That is checking the old ladies do have licences for poodles ,yorkies and the rest of the yappie little ankle snappers. Gang dogs ...well...they will leave those those to community dog catchers.
Notice how the word "community" is popping up everywhere. It gives you the false belief that you actually have a controlling interest in " community whatever" whilst it is actually a cheaper and less effective way of doing things.
Just had a thought ( ouch). Who will pay the costs of a claim against an uninsured dog. I can see an add on government premium being charged to pet insurance policies.. As usual the law abiding will subsidise the the neer do wells. Councils and Solicitors will open new departments to deal with a rich vein of revenue. Vets will be unable to treat sick animals because they will have a nice little earner chipping dogs. Unless they enable CPSOs to do it.Hardly likely though, they might get bit.

runningdog
10-03-2010, 16:50
Notice how the word "community" is popping up everywhere. It gives you the false belief that you actually have a controlling interest in " community whatever" whilst it is actually a cheaper and less effective way of doing things.

And, you may have noticed our non-government is about to turn them all into paid spies, able to hand out fines and file nanonymous reports on our behaviour, vz-a-viz, dogs, rubbish, driving etc.........George Orwell isn't even a contender compared to this lot..........:moremad::moremad:
But then, there's always beer:eek: I hope I haven't spouted off too soon..........Ah well:drinkup::drinkup:

arwkrite
17-03-2010, 12:42
Something on a lighter Doggy Note

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0KcJ9su_z4

The perfect dinner guest

trainman
19-03-2010, 09:09
Excellent stuff arkwrite. Perfect for both pets & youtube threads.

Maldenman
20-03-2010, 19:48
Saturday's Guardian has a pet supplement, cats and dogs today, more to follow. I never knew there was so much to it.

trainman
12-05-2010, 14:15
Before & after. Even the grass got a trim! Not sure about the new dog groomer though, I've been to the loft to look out me clippers.