PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 14 Mar 2010)

Conrad
07-03-2010, 23:52
Another new week, and I have high hopes for this one. :)

Hopwas: Titanic's Stout (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1597-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Mar-2010%29&p=9414#post9414)
ETA: Goachers Mild (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1597-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Mar-2010%29&p=9528#post9528)
Oggwyn Trench: Woods Twistgrip (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1597-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Mar-2010%29&p=9647#post9647)
gillhalfpint: Saltaire Bulldog Brown (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1597-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Mar-2010%29&p=9656#post9656)
oldboots: Brass Monkey (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1597-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Mar-2010%29&p=9677#post9677)
Wittenden: Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1597-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Mar-2010%29&p=9705#post9705)
pubsignman: Mordue Workie Ticket (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1597-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Mar-2010%29&p=9736#post9736)
Millet: Oakham Ales Bishops Farewell (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1597-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Mar-2010%29&p=9746#post9746)
RogerB: Sharps 6 Hop IPA (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1597-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Mar-2010%29&p=9752#post9752)
HTM69: Everards Tiger (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1597-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Mar-2010%29&p=9762#post9762)
ROBCamra: Hawkshead Organic Stout (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1597-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Mar-2010%29&p=9764#post9764)
Conrad: Robinsons Old Tom (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1597-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Mar-2010%29&p=9773#post9773)
trainman: Southport Cyclone (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1597-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Mar-2010%29&p=9778#post9778)
aleandhearty: Acorn 'Motueka IPA' (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1597-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Mar-2010%29&p=9805#post9805)
runningdog: Sixpenny (Wayland) Brewery's 6d Special (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1597-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Mar-2010%29&p=10046#post10046)

Oggwyn Trench
09-03-2010, 20:35
Will be a quite week for me , next week will be a different matter with the Fighting Cocks reopening on the 15th as the Ironbridge Brewery tap , rumour is full range plus seasonal so at least 8 handpulls . The pub is being restored to way it was after last major refitt in 1885 . That will make around 30 handpulls in 3 pubs all about 20 feet apart :D

RogerB
09-03-2010, 21:50
Nothing much for me midweek. Going to see Stereophonics at the O2 tomorrow so it will be a few Fullers in the Pilot, North Greenwich beforehand. Then zilch until a BIG session Saturday in St Albans.

hopwas
10-03-2010, 09:42
Another new week, and I have high hopes for this one. :)

Yep very good week for me..

my BOTW is superb Titanic's Stout (4.5%) chocolate & Vanillia flavoured stout and VERY dangerously drinkable. Bit like drinking alcoholic chocolate milkshake! I was supposed to drink one pint before catching bus but I liked it so much that I ended up drinking 4 pints.. Needless to say I missed my bus!

HTM69
10-03-2010, 10:36
Managed to neck my first four pints of the week last night at my local social club: two pints each of the dependable Everards Tiger and - a new one to me - Joseph Holt Bitter.

hopwas
10-03-2010, 10:38
dependable Everards Tiger.

Had it last night at Tame Otter, Hopwas. They have upped the price.. £3 per pint!

ROBCamra
10-03-2010, 11:47
Had it last night at Tame Otter, Hopwas. They have upped the price.. £3 per pint!

If I buy a pint of Joseph Holts around here in it's homeland it's less than £2 a pint, so £3 makes me go :eek:

Had a few rather nondescript beers in The Baum last night. Nothing wrong with how they were kept, just not really outstanding beers.

Greenfield Gold is OK as is Slaters Why Not but not brilliant.

Moorhouses Black Witch is simply a mix of Pendle Witches Brew and Black Cat so it's not great, although both are good beers in their own right. :(

Best of the bunch was back to the monkeys. Organ Grinder from Brass Monkey again.

It won't win though it's not that good.

RogerB
10-03-2010, 12:01
I am beginning to shy away from drinking to any great degree in Central London as the prices are beginning to shock me with alarming regularity. They have gone up quite noticeably in recent months and I'm sure it isn't all just VAT.

runningdog
10-03-2010, 17:34
superb Titanic's Stout (4.5%) chocolate & Vanillia flavoured stout and VERY dangerously drinkable. Bit like drinking alcoholic chocolate milkshake! I was supposed to drink one pint before catching bus but I liked it so much that I ended up drinking 4 pints.. Needless to say I missed my bus!

I'd pass up Beast for the odd half gallon of that stuff, not often, mind you, but I never get the chance. Trying to find Beast and Titanic Stout on at the same time is a bit like hunting the Grail.
Then, of course, there is Titanic Imperial Stout. It's just one durn Grail after another.
:drinkup::drinkup:Bring on the Beast:drinkup::drinkup:I've got half a dozen in me little beer rack..........:cheers:

hopwas
10-03-2010, 18:23
I'd pass up Beast for the odd half gallon of that stuff, not often, mind you, but I never get the chance. Trying to find Beast and Titanic Stout on at the same time is a bit like hunting the Grail.
Then, of course, there is Titanic Imperial Stout. It's just one durn Grail after another.
:drinkup::drinkup:Bring on the Beast:drinkup::drinkup:I've got half a dozen in me little beer rack..........:cheers:

I am big fan of Titanic's real ale range and very popular in my local JDW's. However my Holy Grail is this.. http://www.titanicbrewery.co.uk/wreckage.html

Very rare and yet to see it in pubs. I would gladly give up my house for Titanic Wreckage..:cheers::drinkup::D Won numerous awards and medals

aleandhearty
10-03-2010, 19:26
my BOTW is superb Titanic's Stout (4.5%) chocolate & Vanillia flavoured stout and VERY dangerously drinkable. Bit like drinking alcoholic chocolate milkshake!

You two might want to keep an eye out for this: http://maltworms.blogspot.com/2010/03/chocs-away-with-saltaire.html

Where's it brewed again? Oh yes, West Yorkshire! :)

hopwas
10-03-2010, 19:40
You two might want to keep an eye out for this: http://maltworms.blogspot.com/2010/03/chocs-away-with-saltaire.html

Where's it brewed again? Oh yes, West Yorkshire! :)

Nooooooo... my mouth watering already after reading the blog! Made me want to drink it..

Noted down the name of beer.

Thanks!

Alesonly
10-03-2010, 20:59
Had some good Ales on at the Wetherspoons so far this week whilst I had three days of too take advantage heres the ones tried that I can remember. There was a few more but I cant remember them. :whistle:

Robinson's Double Hop Very Good
J W Lees Game On Very Good
Your Granny wouldn't like it Very Good
Kingsdown Special Ale Arkells Excellent Best by Far.
Pigswill Stone henge Not Bad
Cotleigh Buzzard Very Good
Spooky Moon Banks & Taylor Very Good
Dragon Slayer Banks & Taylor Very Good

ETA
12-03-2010, 13:59
Best pint I had this week was the Goachers Mild in the Red Lion, Snargate. Great pub, excellent beer quality, a real treat after some of the rubbish I had earlier in the week, but only marginally better than the Malet Arms last weekend (Stonehenge pipped at the post).

So, Goachers Mild it is.

Conrad
12-03-2010, 14:03
Best pint I had this week was the Goachers Mild in the Red Lion, Snargate. Great pub, excellent beer quality, a real treat after some of the rubbish I had earlier in the week, but only marginally better than the Malet Arms last weekend (Stonehenge pipped at the post).

So, Goachers Mild it is.
Still have Saturday and Sunday yet, or are you on the soft stuff?

ETA
12-03-2010, 14:26
It's wine and whisky tonight (some Scottish thing) when I get home, drying out tomorrow then, after a good nagging, I might slip down the road for a Summer Lightning if I can get away with it on Sunday. Trouble is, I know my local's beer is good but never excellent. There's always a possibility that I'll manage a swift one in salisbury tomorrow, I guess.

Conrad
12-03-2010, 14:35
Ah well, I have recorded it. Hopefully by tempting fate you will find another corking pint in Salisbury tomorrow.

RogerB
12-03-2010, 14:51
Popped in for 'Spoons curry last night and they still had last week's BotW Salopian, Prohibition. I can't really have it as a winner 2 weeks running so I'm hoping St Albans will throw something into the hat tomorrow.

I was wondering how much a particlular pub influences people's BotW. If I have 2 nominations I can't decide between, I must admit I go for the one I had in the more respectable and street cred pub! Maybe it's just me.:confused:

hopwas
12-03-2010, 15:01
Popped in Silk Kite last night, to my delight there was new real ale on.. Runningdog's favourite tipple, BEAST :cheers::cheers::cheers:

I had a rather dangerous 7 pints of these.. :o:nishelypished: but not my BOTW as it still goes to Titanic Stout. (FAO Soupy Titanic Stout are selling for :eek:£1.09:eek: I had one pint earlier in Lichfield's The Acorn)

Conrad
12-03-2010, 15:29
I had a rather dangerous 7 pints of these.. :o:nishelypished:
I'm feeling light headed just reading that.

ROBCamra
12-03-2010, 15:37
If I buy a pint of Joseph Holts around here in it's homeland it's less than £2 a pint, so £3 makes me go :eek:

Had a few rather nondescript beers in The Baum last night. Nothing wrong with how they were kept, just not really outstanding beers.

Greenfield Gold is OK as is Slaters Why Not but not brilliant.

Moorhouses Black Witch is simply a mix of Pendle Witches Brew and Black Cat so it's not great, although both are good beers in their own right. :(

Best of the bunch was back to the monkeys. Organ Grinder from Brass Monkey again.

It won't win though it's not that good.

Had a fine pint of Joey Holts Lightning Holt last night but that was surpassed by Hawkshead Organic Stout.

It's the new leader so far but as I'm out tonight AND Saturday.......

Oggwyn Trench
12-03-2010, 20:29
Popped in for 'Spoons curry last night and they still had last week's BotW Salopian, Prohibition. I can't really have it as a winner 2 weeks running so I'm hoping St Albans will throw something into the hat tomorrow.

I was wondering how much a particlular pub influences people's BotW. If I have 2 nominations I can't decide between, I must admit I go for the one I had in the more respectable and street cred pub! Maybe it's just me.:confused:

I had this problem a few weeks ago so i went for the one in the pub where the barmaid had the better legs (pervs galore returns)

Oggwyn Trench
13-03-2010, 21:52
OK quite week , Red Squirel BPSA , Purple Moose Calon Lan , Brains SA gold , Woods Twistgrip , Beowulf Finns Hall Porter , Bankss Original and Brunning&Price Original .
Hard choice B&P Original one of my favorites , Red Squirel full of flavour for 3.8% , Beowulf gourgeous , Purple Moose and Brains both fantastic but i will be patriotic to Shropshire , so Woods Twistgrip it is :cheers:

gillhalfpint
13-03-2010, 23:06
Having just spent 3 days at the excellent Leicester festival, and knowing I won't be drinking tomorrow, I will go with one of the 2 excellent brown ales I had today.

Saltaire Bulldog Brown went down very well at 4.8%, but so did the Tring Signal Box Brown Ale at 4.1%. Will choose the Saltaire as beer of the week though.

oldboots
14-03-2010, 13:20
In spite of drinking in pubs 6 days out of seven this week its been a bit thin for good beers, only two stand out as being anything but mediocre and that includes my first taste of Bengal Lancer. The two in question are, Exmoor Beast drunk in JDW Winchester and Brass Monkey's Very Mild Monkey drunk in Knaresborough, I am going for the Brass Monkey but it's a close thing.

Wittenden
14-03-2010, 18:49
Only in the one pub this week, and only the one beer, but as it is such a cracker I have to nominate Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter.It 's in danger of becoming ubiquitous here in the southeast,but in my book it is one of the top beers in the UK:deep and rich, malty and dry.It does not appear to have altered from the beer we used to travel miles for back in the 70s and 80s. Please don't let it go down the Wadworth 6X or Timothy Taylor Landlord route!

Pubsignman
14-03-2010, 23:41
My BOTW goes to Mordue Workie Ticket - a great malty pint with a bit of caramel that was on in Croydon's Green Dragon earlier in the week. Not a beer I've seen much of down here unfortunately.

Also enjoyed Skinners Figgy's Brew, which would have been a worthy winner most other weeks.

Millay
15-03-2010, 06:46
A few good contenders yesterday but the winner this week is Oakham Ales Bishops Farewell.

RogerB
15-03-2010, 09:03
Having negotiated my way around 11 pubs of St Albans on Saturday as well as my normal local offerings, I have plenty of options this week. Since I like hoppy beers the obvious one that stood out was the new Sharp's seasonal 6 Hop IPA that was joyously sunk at the Lower Red Lion in St Albans. I don't think Sharps have ever made a bad beer and this one continues the trend.

Millay
15-03-2010, 09:15
Having negotiated my way around 11 pubs of St Albans on Saturday

Hi Roger, I'll be interested to hear what you thought of St Albans' pubs, especially the Blacksmiths Arms if you got there. They have a special 'Hoppy' Easter beer festival on 1-5 April where they'll be having a lot of heavily hopped beers.

RogerB
15-03-2010, 10:30
Hi Roger, I'll be interested to hear what you thought of St Albans' pubs, especially the Blacksmiths Arms if you got there. They have a special 'Hoppy' Easter beer festival on 1-5 April where they'll be having a lot of heavily hopped beers.

Of the 11 pubs we did this weekend, only 2 were duplicated from my previous crawl around town 3 or 4 years ago. There is still another 7 or 8 that I have on my radar that I still haven't been to, including the Blacksmiths. My scheduled footy for the Saturday that weekend is at Waltham Abbey so I'll be half way to St Albans anyway and I don't need too much of an excuse to pay the town a visit. It all depends on transport sutuation but I could well pay the Blacksmiths (and a few others) a visit.

HTM69
15-03-2010, 10:37
Last week proved to be a relatively quiet one, beer-wise. Just 10 pints over two days with no real surprises or interesting ales sampled. I think my BOTW will have to be the Everards Tiger I had last Tuesday eve down the social.

ROBCamra
15-03-2010, 11:11
Had a fine pint of Joey Holts Lightning Holt last night but that was surpassed by Hawkshead Organic Stout.

It's the new leader so far but as I'm out tonight AND Saturday.......

I'm going to stick with Hawkshead Organic Stout this week.

I had a couple of very good pints of Roosters Celtic Corker on Saturday but it didn't quite oust the stout.

Conrad
15-03-2010, 12:37
Still on the bottled ones for me I am afraid, got a few in at some pubs including a nice half of Quantock Stout at the Cornubia.

The nicest drink I had this week though was a Robinsons Old Tom after the Chinese takeaway on Saturday night, nice and strong at 8.5%, if only the BCFC boys could get up to that much commitment :(.

trainman
15-03-2010, 12:47
Of the 11 pubs we did this weekend, only 2 were duplicated from my previous crawl around town 3 or 4 years ago.
On the presumption that you may have cherry-picked the list on you first crawl Roger (as I would), does that not mean that your weekend tour party were denied some St Albans highlights?

My botw could easily be the same as Millay's with the Bishops Farewell again in stunning form at the George, but I'll diversify & go for Southport Cyclone at Croydon's Cricketers (Shirley Rd), surprisingly fruity for a copper beer and, despite doubts from my pals who were also drinking it, my suspicion regarding blackcurrant proved to be correct.

RogerB
15-03-2010, 13:19
On the presumption that you may have cherry-picked the list on you first crawl Roger (as I would), does that not mean that your weekend tour party were denied some St Albans highlights?
My first crawl about 3/4 years ago was a daytime session and from what I recall consisited of the Boot, the White Swan, Farriers Arms, Portland Arms, Blue Anchor, Six Bells, Black Lion, Spotted Bull and the Glass House (simply because it was closest to the station and we had 15 minutes before the train). We were a bit limited as some pubs I wanted to do (Lower Red Lion for one) were closed during the day. Spurs had a game in the evening so I had to get to WHL for kick off. A couple of years ago we stopped off to find a pub with Setanta showing the Man U v Spurs match (the one where we went 2-0 up and then blew it big time) and the only place we could find showing the game was O'Neills! We also did the Boot and the Cross Keys that day. Saturday's crawl took us to the Goat, White Lion, White Hart Tap, Farmers Boy, Ye Olde Fighting Cocks, Six Bells, Rose & Crown, Lower Red Lion, Portland Arms and the Veralum (we tried to get in the Farriers first but it was gone 11 and they wouldn't let us in). We also did the Waterend Barn 'Spoons for breakfast! Still plenty of options left for another day. One of the guys I was with Saturday lives in St Albans so I was happy to go with whatever he suggested although I did single out the Lower Red Lion & Farmers Boy as personal necessities.There will be a detailed blog posted in due course for those who like that kind of thing.

hopwas
15-03-2010, 14:56
The nicest drink I had this week though was a Robinsons Old Tom after the Chinese takeaway on Saturday night, nice and strong at 8.5%

I havent had of these for years now. Nice but strong stout. Asda selling them for around £1.80 per bottle.

In fact I should buy of these when I get the time.

aleandhearty
15-03-2010, 15:04
Only three beers to choose from this week, largely due to the fact that I spent the latter half of the week in hospital with a kidney stone and accompanying UTI, (imagine being stabbed in the kidney and then someone twisting the blade :eek:). I also learnt I now have Type II Diabetes- sometimes the fun never stops!

However I digress. Between Dunham-Massey 'Cheshire IPA', Elland 'Pacha' and Acorn 'Motueka IPA', the clear winner was the grassy, herbal and markedly bitter Acorn.

Conrad
15-03-2010, 15:20
Only three beers to choose from this week, largely due to the fact that I spent the latter half of the week in hospital with a kidney stone and accompanying UTI, (imagine being stabbed in the kidney and then someone twisting the blade :eek:). I also learnt I now have Type II Diabetes- sometimes the fun never stops!
:eek:

Sounds like a horrible week, hope they have successfully broken the stone up, I have heard many painful descriptions of kidney stones. Does the diabetes just mean you have to watch your diet now?

RogerB
15-03-2010, 15:34

Not the best start for 2010. Let's hope things pick up for you. :cheers:

aleandhearty
15-03-2010, 15:38
:eek:

Sounds like a horrible week, hope they have successfully broken the stone up, I have heard many painful descriptions of kidney stones. Does the diabetes just mean you have to watch your diet now?

Apparently, mine was quite a small one and should pass out the body on its own. God knows what a large one feels like. With the diabetes, diet control is usually the first option. Ironic that I got a state of the art breadmaker for my big five-oh three weeks back! :(

Conrad
15-03-2010, 15:43
That sounds a bit unremitting. I remember an old wives tale about drinking a bottle of Olive Oil to wash out the kidney stones, on so many levels right now I wouldn't advise that.

Hope the diabetes turns out not to be too much of a burden, have to admit it is a condition that would irritate the hell out of me, the concept of watching what I eat in that way just doesn't bear thinking about.

Also I got glares off Dave when I asked if we should suggest to the forum that we all donate towards a nice box of chocolates for you after a week like that :whistle: (sorry, if it helps I think we have already established I am going to Hell).

RogerB
15-03-2010, 15:50
if it helps I think we have already established I am going to Hell.

I'll be going through Charing Cross in about 20 minutes. I'll pop in the Boadicea and let them know so they will be expecting you.

aleandhearty
15-03-2010, 15:59
Also I got glares off Dave when I asked if we should suggest to the forum that we all donate towards a nice box of chocolates for you after a week like that :whistle:)

:D :D Nice to know that people care, albeit some in a sick and twisted way. Thanks guys.

runningdog
18-03-2010, 08:31
Just pokin me 'ead round the door to mention my BotW, Sixpenny (Wayland) Brewery's 6d Special. 5.8 and drinks like it, full of flavour. I won't try to describe it any more, you'll just have to try it.
While I'm here I'll add my commiseration's to 'a&h' on his bad week. Bet it don't 'old him back that much.......... :drinkup::drinkup:.. and another one for 'a&h...:cheers: