PDA

View Full Version : a swift one - The Festival Season Starts In Earnest

Blog Tracker
02-11-2013, 08:17
Visit the a swift one site (http://www.aswiftone.com/2013/11/the-festival-season-starts-in-earnest.html)

As Ale Ambler previewed a couple of days ago, this weekend has seen the start of the 'silly' season for beer festivals, with Festivals far and wide opening their doors to the public. There are Camra festivals in Birmingham, Blackpool and Carlisle but I decided to sample a couple of pub festivals closer to home. Thursday saw me at 'The Shakespeare' in Sheffield, and yesterday in the revamped 'Rat and Ratchet' in Huddersfield. (more of the Rat in a later post). Both festivals continue all weekend if you have no been yet, so there is no excuse to miss out.

The set up at the two festivals were different. The Shakespeare having a lot of their beers on stillage in their upstairs bar and being collected by willing bar staff; the Rat having their beers on handpull, but only having a proportion of the list available with others replacing those than ran off.

The beer range was also different for each pub, with the Rat being Halloween themed, and more locally sourced; the Shakey having a mixture of beer from near and far.

I started my choices at the Shakespeare with breweries new to me. Some good, some less so. I was especially impressed by the Cornish Crown '1 Hop 1 Grain' and the Hopcraft 'Bikini Atoll' - both light and full of hop flavours.Abbeydale 'Dr Rudi Can't Fail' was equally as good. A special brewed for the festival with Dr Rudi hops, and very moreish. I concentrated on light beers but there were sherry stouts, chocolate ales, and a 13% black saison also on offer. Quite frankly, a very decent pub festival, with free entry and sensible pricing.

Friday gave me chance to sample the delights of the Rat Halloween festival. This time there seemed to be an over reliance on seasonal specials, but I suppose it was Halloween so what could I expect. There was a fair spread of styles, from very light (Rudgate - Frightfully Pale) to dark (Rat out of Hell) with many colours and styles in between, including Devils Walking Stick - a green beer !

I enjoyed the variety on offer - although not all the beers I tried were to my taste - I don't enjoy pumpkin beers or beers with smoked malts but at least the tasting notes did warn me about them. The only shame from my point of view was some of the beers I wanted to try were not available on my visit - due on the bar later - but there again - it just means that I will have to revisit again. And again and again !

And finally a reminder that Star festival starts on Wednesday 20th November - hope to see you there.

More... (http://www.aswiftone.com/2013/11/the-festival-season-starts-in-earnest.html)