PDA

View Full Version : Former pub in Burton on Trent

sheffield hatter
20-10-2013, 20:49
Does anyone recognise this former pub? There's the remains of a crown on the front of the building, so I assume it would have been a Crown Inn, but I can't find anything when I google it (crown, new st and burton being fairly common words, there are just too many hits for my impatient nature). It's now an Indian restaurant and it's at 127 New Street, DE14 3QW.

Soup Dragon
21-10-2013, 10:18
Does anyone recognise this former pub? There's the remains of a crown on the front of the building, so I assume it would have been a Crown Inn, but I can't find anything when I google it (crown, new st and burton being fairly common words, there are just too many hits for my impatient nature). It's now an Indian restaurant and it's at 127 New Street, DE14 3QW.

Hi Will,

Yes, i have traced this for you. The building next door is the old post office - google it under 'images' and you will see an old photo, with the pub next door. In 1912, there was a beerhouse keeper registered at 127 New St called Michael Carter. A quick check on the census for 1911 showed he ran the Crown Inn.

I was going to suggest that it was left over from the Jubilee celebrations, but it appears not!

Soupy

aleandhearty
21-10-2013, 11:50
Yes, i have traced this for you. The building next door is the old post office - google it under 'images' and you will see an old photo, with the pub next door. In 1912, there was a beerhouse keeper registered at 127 New St called Michael Carter. A quick check on the census for 1911 showed he ran the Crown Inn.

I'm impressed!

sheffield hatter
21-10-2013, 16:01
The building next door is the old post office - google it under 'images' and you will see an old photo, with the pub next door. In 1912, there was a beerhouse keeper registered at 127 New St called Michael Carter. A quick check on the census for 1911 showed he ran the Crown Inn.

Great research!

Following your instructions I found this photo: