PDA

View Full Version : The Quest For an Abbot's Confession,

Aqualung
16-10-2013, 17:20
This thread has nothing to do with the Spanish Inquisition but is one devoted to thoughts good or bad about the latest Spoons fest.

My highlights so far are the Bateman's Hazelnut Brownie which was liquid confectionery, the two American Reds, 21st Amendment and Ballast Point plus the Abbot's Confession which seemed to me to be a dangerously drinkable 8.5% Abbot Ale. I didn't find it sweet at all!

My research resumes tomorrow!

london calling
17-10-2013, 21:03
I tried a few last night and the best 2 were the 21st Amendment-Red and surprisingly Wadsworth -WTF in the wildest and noisiest pub I have been in in years the Beehive in Brixton.It was buzzing.

Bucking Fastard
23-10-2013, 13:41
I had the Innis & Gunn Toasted Oak IPA and I thought it really was very good.I certainly got the floral aroma ,a well balanced brew delicately hopped.Hid the 5.6% very well.

I knew what I would be getting with Titanic Cappuccino,not too much cappuccino but a load a hop bitterness,a very fine dry stout.

My sample of the Elysian Avatar Jasmine IPA didn't have much jasmine flavour and just didn't appeal.Brewed by Thwaites,maybe that's a clue.

Another visit to The George on Saturday and more chances to hit these festival ales which this year include a lot of very interesting brews.

Aqualung
23-10-2013, 16:01
Following on from last week's post, I'm finding it difficult to find places selling the beers from the smaller breweries. The 10 American ones are brewed supposedly by the original brewer at larger UK regionals. Whether they have complete control over the process I'm inclined to doubt. There is one beer for me that is head and shoulders above the rest (despite the silly name) and that is the Adnam's / Stone Supremely Self-Conscious Black IPA. This is a hop bomb Black IPA that uses 7 different varieties of hops. I had a pint of it today and even though it was a bit tired, probably getting near the end of the barrel it tasted superb.
Adnam's seem to have really got to grips with so called craft beers, as their Ghost Ship is a good low ABV Pale IPA and their Bengali Tiger from last month was a superb reddish IPA.

I liked the Tittanic Cappuccino, but would call it a Coffee Porter rather than a dry stout. The Caledonian Poltergeist Porter today came up like a pint of Guinness and was like a dry stout only not quite dark enough.

I liked the Wadworth's WTF, a good attempt at a stronger single hop beer and their Abita Restoration Pale, which was completely different to any Wadworth's beer I've tried before.

I liked the Hook Norton Flagship, a Turbo charged Old Hookey, plus the Shep's Spooks and their Terrapin Tree Hugger.

I thought the Oakleaf Cream of the Crop was a good Stout.

Quinno
24-10-2013, 14:05
The Hazelnut Chocolate Brownie is AMAZING

Aqualung
24-10-2013, 19:28

Agreed but would it (has it?) passed the three pint test?

london calling
25-10-2013, 01:11

Horribilus. Marmite beer possibly?

london calling
25-10-2013, 01:16
Horribilus. Marmite beer possibly?

Actually one of the worst beers I have had this year but I do know from the internet some are saying the best beer they have drank this year.Go figure.

Quinno
25-10-2013, 13:38
Actually one of the worst beers I have had this year but I do know from the internet some are saying the best beer they have drank this year.Go figure.

http://tandlemanbeerblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/alive-alive-o_22.html

Aqualung
25-10-2013, 19:39

I really liked it, but couldn't imagine it passing the three pint test unless it was part of a lucrative bet. I think I've tried it in three different places now and it has tasted exactly the same in all of them, unlike some of the American IPAs.

Even the barman at the Surrey Docks yesterday morning said something to the effect that this beer is something else. When I ordered a pint of it in the Wanstead George today a woman ordering food asked "Oh, is that what it actually tastes like?" and I had to answer "Yes"!! Sadly it had gone off.

Mobyduck
26-10-2013, 11:39
I liked the Tittanic Cappuccino, but would call it a Coffee Porter rather than a dry stout.
Iv'e just had that and agree ,I liked it but more like a porter.

Bucking Fastard
27-10-2013, 10:32
Tried another couple on Saturday.

Ninkasi Cream Ale tasted of virtually nothing,certainly not creamy.Just a stock straw coloured brew,my guess is that the American brewers recipe was just ignored by Caledonian Brewery.

Fat Head's Sunshine Daydream. Another poor one,rather more typical of the output from Batemans where it was brewed ,than something created by a US micro.

Gave up on the festival ales after that and went on to the real stuff.Decided to have a drink off between Dark Star Green Hopped IPA and Oakham Green Devil IPA.An excellent way to sink three pints.The winner ,the third pint ,was BOTW.

Bucking Fastard
27-10-2013, 10:38
Iv'e just had that and agree ,I liked it but more like a porter.

Yes I have to agree,my description of it as a dry stout was off beam.The bitterness pushed it into the porter category .Mea culpa.:o

Aqualung
27-10-2013, 10:54
Tried another couple on Saturday.

Ninkasi Cream Ale tasted of virtually nothing,certainly not creamy.Just a stock straw coloured brew,my guess is that the American brewers recipe was just ignored by Caledonian Brewery.

Fat Head's Sunshine Daydream. Another poor one,rather more typical of the output from Batemans where it was brewed ,than something created by a US micro.

Gave up on the festival ales after that and went on to the real stuff.Decided to have a drink off between Dark Star Green Hopped IPA and Oakham Green Devil IPA.An excellent way to sink three pints.The winner ,the third pint ,was BOTW.

I would agree with that generally. A lot of the paler American ones were rather bland. The best of the American ones were 21st Amendment, Ballast Point, Terrapin, Elysian (if in good nick) and way above the rest the Stone Black IPA.

New ones tried this week that were good were the Caledonian Porter, Evan Evans Gold, Cotleigh Lemon Ale, Strathaven Claverhouse and the best one the Mordue Oatmeal Stout. Low ponts were the Traditional Scottish Ales ROK IPA and the Liberation EPA both of which were extremely bland.

I've had 37 but I can't see any prospect of doing all 50 without a return visit to the Wibbas Down and that's unlikely. I know I'll get to 38 as there's a Purity Longhorn in Chingford.

Soup Dragon
29-10-2013, 17:04

It turned my stomach :sick:

trainman
29-10-2013, 18:39
I ordered a third, 76p at Elephant, but only managed about a quarter of that. An earlier description of a liquid hazelnut chocolate brownie was correct - maybe heated up as a bedtime drink, otherwise not for me. And it took a few other (different) pints to de-coat my tongue, it sticks with you when you just want to move on...

Aqualung
29-10-2013, 18:52
I ordered a third, 76p at Elephant, but only managed about a quarter of that. An earlier description of a liquid hazelnut chocolate brownie was correct - maybe heated up as a bedtime drink, otherwise not for me. And it took a few other (different) pints to de-coat my tongue, it sticks with you when you just want to move on...

I enjoyed a pint of it as my first one on my main Spoons crawl last week and that was before 10:00!
I think I've tried it in three different Spoons now.