PDA

View Full Version : Surveys and pop-ups

gillhalfpint
16-10-2013, 10:52
In all the years I have been on Pubs Galore I have never had the blight of surveys and pop up ads hitting my screen, but this morning while trying to read the forum messages, I must have had at least half a dozen survey requests, I including one from Pubs Galore itself, plus adverts for all sorts of stuff.

Never had it before and there is a panel on the left saying related searches which I keep clicking the x to get rid of.

I can't be doing with this hassle at all. I just want to go on, read the forum and contribute if I want to.

What has happened to one of my favourite sites?

hondo
16-10-2013, 10:57
not had any

gillhalfpint
16-10-2013, 11:00
It seems to be on all sorts of things on my pc now. Surveys popping up all over. I am getting words in red with double line under and that leads to an advert or survey. Everything was fine yesterday but don't know what is wrong today. Going to log right out and come back into all my tab sites, and see just what is getting these surveys and ads.

Gill

Dave M
16-10-2013, 11:19
Sounds like your computer has managed to install some dodgy software, we are not running any surveys or pop ups!

I think you might benefit from running Malwarebytes, click on this link and then click the big green 'Download Now' button. Install it and get it to run a full scan, it might take a couple of hours but it should get rid of anything dodgy on your machine.

gillhalfpint
16-10-2013, 11:24
I clicked a T in the related searches column and got an explanation of the site, including instructions how to uninstall from the control panel which I have done. It was a programme called Linkswift. It has gone now, and touch wood, all appears ok since I did the reboot. I have however made a note of Malwarebytes, and will run that this evening while watching TV to clear any other rogue bits and pieces that may be lurking. Thanks for the help as I was really starting to panic. It first happened on Pubs Galore, but I went onto my cruise forum tab and it popped onto there too and that freaked me out a bit.

gillhalfpint
16-10-2013, 11:30
Thanks Dave. I clicked a T in the related searches column and it brought an explanation of the programme Linkswift which puts red words underlined with bars that lead to adverts. It did give uninstall instructions which I have followed, and since the reboot, all seems to be well. I have made a note of Malwarebytes and will google and install it while TV is on tonight to clear any other lurking programmes I don't want.

Gill

My first post had disappeared, so I redid this one, then found I had two and cannot delete this one, so have edited it.

Farway
16-10-2013, 12:37
I can add to Dave M, Malwarebytes is good, and free. You could also check out Lavasoft [the free one], and Adaware [free]

No pop ups here