PDA

View Full Version : real ale pubs

hondo
14-10-2013, 07:20
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/tools/check-reviews.php?pagefacid=101 :cool:

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?15071-Links-to-stuff-that-I-need-to-put-on-the-site!

hondo
22-10-2013, 06:35
:ninja: :bemerry: :cheers: :cool:

Pubs Galore currently has 53143 open pubs listed in the UK of which 21826 (41.1%) have been tagged by our members as serving real ale.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/real-ale-counties.php

Mobyduck
22-10-2013, 07:24
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/tools/check-reviews.php?pagefacid=101 :cool:
I had a late night last night with only 180 to go I couldnt stop.:rolleyes:

Mobyduck
22-10-2013, 07:29
:ninja: :bemerry: :cheers: :cool:

Pubs Galore currently has 53143 open pubs listed in the UK of which 21826 (41.1%) have been tagged by our members as serving real ale.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/real-ale-counties.php
41.1% serving real ale, a lot of room for improvement.:pray:

hondo
22-10-2013, 07:32
I had a late night last night with only 180 to go I couldnt stop.:rolleyes:
yeah just 4 left when i logged on this morning

hondo
22-10-2013, 07:38
41.1% serving real ale, a lot of room for improvement.:pray:

a large number i processed mentioned good,excellent,wonderful,nice,lovely etc beer but didn't specify real ale so i marked them as inconclusive as we all have different definitions of good beer :confused:

Mobyduck
22-10-2013, 07:43
a large number i processed mentioned good,excellent,wonderful,nice,lovely etc beer but didn't specify real ale so i marked them as inconclusive as we all have different definitions of good beer :confused:
Yes many last night were left overs, one line reviews and inconclusive.

Mobyduck
22-10-2013, 07:47
A good effort all round and this (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/real-ale-counties.php) makes for interesting reading.

Mobyduck
22-10-2013, 07:53
Also there were some that stated real ale and said it was foul or poor condition but it was served and had to be added, it also hurt a bit where a pub only had one pump of Doom Bar or GK IPA but it is real ale, :sick:

Dave M
22-10-2013, 08:49
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this effort, I think it is a pretty impressive total of pubs we've now tagged. Need to come up with the next cunning plan for getting real ale data now, any ideas are appreciated. I do have the full Cask Marque list and have been working through that myself.

Mobyduck
22-10-2013, 09:56
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this effort, I think it is a pretty impressive total of pubs we've now tagged. Need to come up with the next cunning plan for getting real ale data now, any ideas are appreciated. I do have the full Cask Marque list and have been working through that myself.
Dave will the list continue to update as additions are made on the main site, i.e new pubs opening/re-opening and adding real ale?

ROBCamra
22-10-2013, 10:30

Just started having a look through the GBG2014 and comparing to PuG.

Two of the first 4 in Tayside didn't have the cask ale flag marked on PuG.

I've added the comment "In CAMRA GBG2014".

Anyone with the latest GBG want to start on another county?

It will also tell you real cider, accomodation, child friendly etc

If there isn't an apple sign it should be safe to consider that they don't sell real cider as well. :cheers:

Mobyduck
22-10-2013, 11:15

It will also tell you real cider, accomodation, child friendly etc :cheers:
I'll start on Hampshire.

Dave M
22-10-2013, 12:33
Dave will the list continue to update as additions are made on the main site, i.e new pubs opening/re-opening and adding real ale?
Yes the list of real ale pubs by county updates in real time as changes are made.

The tool for checking reviews updates overnight, so any reviews that need looking at from the previous day will be available in the morning.

ROBCamra
22-10-2013, 12:40

It will also tell you real cider, accomodation, child friendly etc :cheers:

Well that was interesting. The GBG2014 has 29 pubs in it for Tayside.

I was able to add real ale to 12 of them & other pub details to most of the rest.

I was also able to add a pub we didn't have.

Very useful.

I'll update this thread with a list of what has been started and completed if you guys will tell me on here. :cheers:

Completed

Tayside
Fermanagh
Antrim
Londonderry
Down
Tyrone
Armagh

In Progress

Hampshire
Isle Of Man

Mobyduck
22-10-2013, 20:45
Well that was interesting. The GBG2014 has 29 pubs in it for Tayside.

I was able to add real ale to 12 of them & other pub details to most of the rest.

I was also able to add a pub we didn't have.

Very useful.

I'll update this thread with a list of what has been started and completed if you guys will tell me on here. :cheers:

Completed

Tayside
Fermanagh
Antrim
Londonderry
Down
Tyrone
Armagh

In Progress

Hampshire
Isle Of Man
OK Rob Hampshire is done, I've added 23 providing real ale and found four discrepancy's,
not investigated them yet but they are-
Tyrrells Ford Country Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/74365/), Dorset on PUG, Hants in GBG.
The Golden Pheasant in the GBG is The Pheasant Plucker (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59526/P)on PUG.
And if you search The Northcote Hotel (http://www.northcotehotel.co.uk/)PO4 0HL on PUG it re -directs you to the Leopold Tavern (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14000/) PO4 OJT, both in the GBG and obviously different places. Havent time to look into these tonight but if anyone wants to sort them please jump in.Also the Romsey Beer Emporium 15 Bell Street SO51 8GY doesn't appear to be on the site.will look to a new county shortly.

bcfczuluarmy
22-10-2013, 22:52

From the link of http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/real-ale-counties.php how do we find out which pubs haven't been reviewed yet? I'm pretty sure from some form of memory I could reduce the Bristol unknown ones drastically and increase the obvious extra facilities without revisiting to up my stats. I've now got a little into this after trying not to get absorbed into it so every pub I go into I load up and start clicking the yes and no buttons, could do a lot more from memory/desktop but that would see me get too absorbed and featuring on a OCD CH4 documentary.

Farway
23-10-2013, 12:37
From the link of http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/real-ale-counties.php how do we find out which pubs haven't been reviewed yet? I'm pretty sure from some form of memory I could reduce the Bristol unknown ones drastically and increase the obvious extra facilities without revisiting to up my stats. I've now got a little into this after trying not to get absorbed into it so every pub I go into I load up and start clicking the yes and no buttons, could do a lot more from memory/desktop but that would see me get too absorbed and featuring on a OCD CH4 documentary.

Agree, is there a simple way to spot those that have not been reviewed as "real ale"? without trawling through every pub?

ROBCamra
23-10-2013, 14:23
Current state of play.

Counties completed

Tayside
Fermanagh
Antrim
Londonderry
Down
Tyrone
Armagh
Hampshire
Isle Of Man

In Progress

Kingdom Of Fife

AlanH
23-10-2013, 14:53

I check each county against What Pub. They have benefitted vastly by using PuG as the best base to populate many areas so it's fair swaps. As I update both guides, it's give and take. It's much easier where there are strong branches such as Shropshire, but harder work and more uncertain in weaker branch areas.

Al 10000
23-10-2013, 15:25
I check each county against What Pub. They have benefitted vastly by using PuG as the best base to populate many areas so it's fair swaps. As I update both guides, it's give and take. It's much easier where there are strong branches such as Shropshire, but harder work and more uncertain in weaker branch areas.

I would be carefull checking with What Pub,there is a pub local to me that What Pub says does real ale,i know the landlord as a friend and ex workmate,he always tells me that he still does no real ales.

Another local pub to me always seems to have four handpumped ciders,What Pub says no real ciders,i dont know how the site works and dont really want to.

I will revisit these pubs in the next few weeks then name them and shame the What Pub site.

gillhalfpint
23-10-2013, 15:46
The downside to any of these sort of stats is that unless one is prepared to visit on a regular basis, it doesn't matter if it is in GBG, What Pub or Pubs Galore, it is very easily out of date.

ROBCamra
23-10-2013, 16:12
The downside to any of these sort of stats is that unless one is prepared to visit on a regular basis, it doesn't matter if it is in GBG, What Pub or Pubs Galore, it is very easily out of date.

I'll be checking GBG2014 deletions in Whats Brewing to help keep the ones I'm checking through now up to date.

Mobyduck
23-10-2013, 16:30
Current state of play.

Counties completed

Tayside
Fermanagh
Antrim
Londonderry
Down
Tyrone
Armagh
Hampshire
Isle Of Man

In Progress

Kingdom Of Fife
I'm now doing Dorset.

AlanH
23-10-2013, 16:58
I would be carefull checking with What Pub,there is a pub local to me that What Pub says does real ale,i know the landlord as a friend and ex workmate,he always tells me that he still does no real ales.

Another local pub to me always seems to have four handpumped ciders,What Pub says no real ciders,i dont know how the site works and dont really want to.

I will revisit these pubs in the next few weeks then name them and shame the What Pub site.

As Gill says, all guides can be out of date. On PuG, members are still marking pubs closed with comments like "Closed in 2009!". Any guide can be named and shamed if you search for a few faults.

Al 10000
23-10-2013, 17:27
As Gill says, all guides can be out of date. On PuG, members are still marking pubs closed with comments like "Closed in 2009!". Any guide can be named and shamed if you search for a few faults.

The reason i have gripe with What Pub is because all photos and comments are anonymous,they can look at Pubs Galore and know who has made what reviews and took what photos,if i look at that site i have not the faintest idea who is contributing to it,and i also dont know how to put wrongs right.

Mobyduck
23-10-2013, 18:22
Current state of play.

Counties completed

Tayside
Fermanagh
Antrim
Londonderry
Down
Tyrone
Armagh
Hampshire
Isle Of Man

In Progress

Kingdom Of Fife

I'm now doing Dorset.
Dorset now completed, only managed to add 8, one complete name change and one slight name change plus one new pub to add to the main site. Will pick another county tomorrow evening.

gillhalfpint
23-10-2013, 18:30
There is an edit button on Whatpub where you can put things right as I have done it a few times. I have found response pretty quick from the branch involved to confirm my amendment. I'm not bothered if I get credit or named against anything though.

AlanH
24-10-2013, 09:55
The reason i have gripe with What Pub is because all photos and comments are anonymous,they can look at Pubs Galore and know who has made what reviews and took what photos,if i look at that site i have not the faintest idea who is contributing to it,and i also dont know how to put wrongs right.

PuG and WP will always be different. WP is a high detail site listing beers and opening times of over 35000 of the estimated 37000 Real Ale pubs but is not a reviewers site. PuG is a more personal friendly site with real people that you feel you know though you may have never met them. I always use both sites to cross reference and update to help with general beer and pub information.

Rex_Rattus
24-10-2013, 18:22
There is an edit button on Whatpub where you can put things right as I have done it a few times. I have found response pretty quick from the branch involved to confirm my amendment. I'm not bothered if I get credit or named against anything though.

I believe that only CAMRA members can submit feedback forms. I too have contributed many photographs to WhatPub, and have no problem with not being "credited/blamed" for them!

Of course some branches are better than others in implementing changes, but that's only to be expected. I have found WhatPub to be a very useful source of information. I have identified two South London pubs on WhatPub, that weren't on PuG, and identified a pub that had little or no recent information on it on PuG, but identified on WhatPub as definitely worth a visit. I think it's a good bit of kit, and as already stated serves a different purpose to PuG.

Mobyduck
24-10-2013, 18:44
Current state of play.

Counties completed

Tayside
Fermanagh
Antrim
Londonderry
Down
Tyrone
Armagh
Hampshire
Isle Of Man

In Progress

Kingdom Of Fife

Dorset now completed, only managed to add 8, one complete name change and one slight name change plus one new pub to add to the main site. Will pick another county tomorrow evening.
Completed Wiltshire adding 12 for real ale ,a couple of name tweaks and 1 new pub to add.

oldboots
25-10-2013, 07:44
I believe that only CAMRA members can submit feedback forms. I too have contributed many photographs to WhatPub, and have no problem with not being "credited/blamed" for them!

No it used to be so but changed when WP went public in September. There is a link at the bottom of each pub page
"Seen some incorrect or missing details? Send an email to the branch with your updates."

Of course some branches are better than others in implementing changes, ........and as already stated (WP) serves a different purpose to PuG.

I agree with Rex

ROBCamra
25-10-2013, 08:35
Current state of play.

Counties completed

Tayside
Fermanagh
Antrim
Londonderry
Down
Tyrone
Armagh
Hampshire
Isle Of Man
Dorset
Wiltshire

In Progress

Kingdom Of Fife

Rex_Rattus
25-10-2013, 15:41
No it used to be so but changed when WP went public in September. There is a link at the bottom of each pub page
"Seen some incorrect or missing details? Send an email to the branch with your updates."
Thanks for that OB. Yes, I see that non-members get a link to send an E-mail. But if you're logged on as a member you get a tab at the top that gives you access to a feedback form, that seems a much more structured way of submitting suggested changes. As the feedback form only goes to the relevant pubs officer, which is also where the E-mail will end up, I don't see why non-members can't also have access to the form. But perhaps they don't want to make life easier for non-members!

Aqualung
25-10-2013, 18:49
Thanks for that OB. Yes, I see that non-members get a link to send an E-mail. But if you're logged on as a member you get a tab at the top that gives you access to a feedback form, that seems a much more structured way of submitting suggested changes. As the feedback form only goes to the relevant pubs officer, which is also where the E-mail will end up, I don't see why non-members can't also have access to the form. But perhaps they don't want to make life easier for non-members!

I sent an update for the Spoons George in Hailsham a few days ago and have received no feedback from them at all.

When I corrected the opening hours for a couple of SW London Spoons in the Summer I immediately got very friendly feedback from a name I knew from the London Drinker magazine.

AlanH
25-10-2013, 21:14
I sent an update for the Spoons George in Hailsham a few days ago and have received no feedback from them at all.

When I corrected the opening hours for a couple of SW London Spoons in the Summer I immediately got very friendly feedback from a name I knew from the London Drinker magazine.

What Pub update officers are required to send a reply to any feedback received but not all do. In Vale of Clwyd, I usually update and reply within 24 hours, but feedback I have sent to other branches, response varies from straight away to not at all!

Rex_Rattus
25-10-2013, 21:35

I too have had mixed responses, but I know the SW London Pubs officer (it's my branch) and know just how seriously he takes his responsibilities in this respect - a response within the hour would be the norm. Others you don't hear from at all, and in a number of cases they've not been actioned. In most cases they are photos that haven't been uploaded, and I suspect they may have concluded that they aren't quite good enough, and they're too embarrassed to tell me so! When I get time I'll ask them if that's the case.

oldboots
26-10-2013, 08:31
In most cases they are photos that haven't been uploaded, and I suspect they may have concluded that they aren't quite good enough, and they're too embarrassed to tell me so! When I get time I'll ask them if that's the case.

There's been a bit of debate about copyright and attribution on photos, that might be the reason for reticence rather than your skills

AlanH
28-10-2013, 17:48
Current state of play.

Counties completed

Tayside
Fermanagh
Antrim
Londonderry
Down
Tyrone
Armagh
Hampshire
Isle Of Man
Dorset
Wiltshire

In Progress

Kingdom Of Fife

Shropshire now fully completed.

sheffield hatter
28-10-2013, 21:18
PuG and WP will always be different. WP is a high detail site listing beers and opening times of over 35000 of the estimated 37000 Real Ale pubs but is not a reviewers site. PuG is a more personal friendly site with real people that you feel you know though you may have never met them.

Agree with that. Also PuG allows those of us with a touch of OCD to do a bit of exercise without harming anyone. ;)

aleandhearty
29-10-2013, 10:58
Agree with that. Also PuG allows those of us with a touch of OCD to do a bit of exercise without harming anyone. ;)

A touch? :D

Mobyduck
30-10-2013, 18:55
Current state of play.

Counties completed

Tayside
Fermanagh
Antrim
Londonderry
Down
Tyrone
Armagh
Hampshire
Isle Of Man
Dorset
Wiltshire

In Progress

Kingdom Of Fife

Underway with County Durham

Mobyduck
02-11-2013, 06:26
Now completed county Durham adding a whopping 25 for real ale with three new pubs to add.

Mobyduck
02-11-2013, 06:45
Now completed county Durham adding a whopping 25 for real ale with three new pubs to add.
make that 26 added for real ale and 2 new pubs.

ROBCamra
02-11-2013, 13:04
Current state of play.

Counties completed

Tayside
Fermanagh
Antrim
Londonderry
Down
Tyrone
Armagh
Hampshire
Isle Of Man
Dorset
Wiltshire
Durham
Shropshire

In Progress

Kingdom Of Fife

Mobyduck
02-11-2013, 19:13

Current state of play.

Counties completed

Tayside
Fermanagh
Antrim
Londonderry
Down
Tyrone
Armagh
Hampshire
Isle Of Man
Dorset
Wiltshire
Durham

In Progress

Kingdom Of Fife
Shropsire has been missed from the completed

ROBCamra
04-11-2013, 13:31
Current state of play.

Counties completed

Tayside
Fermanagh
Antrim
Londonderry
Down
Tyrone
Armagh
Hampshire
Isle Of Man
Dorset
Wiltshire
Durham
Shropshire
Kingdom Of Fife

In Progress

Central (Scotland)

Fife completed, now started on Central.

Mobyduck
05-11-2013, 18:09
Fife completed, now started on Central.
Cornwall now under way.

Mobyduck
05-11-2013, 20:09
Cornwall now under way.
Cornwall now done, only two added for real ale but another two new pubs to add.

ROBCamra
11-11-2013, 14:03
Ok I eventually finished Central Scotland. One new pub and several real ale additions.

I got sidetracked into sorting out CAMRA discounts in Hull & Banbury. :cheers:

Current state of play.

Counties completed

Tayside
Fermanagh
Antrim
Londonderry
Down
Tyrone
Armagh
Hampshire
Isle Of Man
Dorset
Wiltshire
Durham
Shropshire
Kingdom Of Fife
Central
Cornwall

In Progress

Highland & Western Isles

Mobyduck
11-11-2013, 20:10
Just a quickie, Isle of Wight done ,adding 10 for real ale.

Mobyduck
13-11-2013, 18:09
Berkshire done as well ,only one for real ale though and one new pub to add,no surprise on Quinnos manor though ,The one GBG pub I was able to add for real ale unreviewd is The Six Bells (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61609/). Quinno has however a couple of recent photos on the page so I suspect a review is waiting in the wings.

Quinno
13-11-2013, 18:37
Berkshire done as well ,only one for real ale though and one new pub to add,no surprise on Quinnos manor though ,The one GBG pub I was able to add for real ale unreviewd is The Six Bells (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61609/). Quinno has however a couple of recent photos on the page so I suspect a review is waiting in the wings.

This evening if you're lucky :D

Though I'm doing Slough first.

Mobyduck
13-11-2013, 19:02
Though I'm doing Slough first.

Lucky you :eek: :D

ROBCamra
20-11-2013, 14:50
Completed Northern Isles adding quite a few for real ale still continuing with Highland & Western Isles.

Current state of play.

Counties completed

Tayside
Fermanagh
Antrim
Londonderry
Down
Tyrone
Armagh
Hampshire
Isle Of Man
Dorset
Wiltshire
Durham
Shropshire
Kingdom Of Fife
Central
Cornwall
Isle Of Wight
Northern Isles
Berkshire

In Progress

Highland & Western Isles

Mobyduck
25-11-2013, 12:11
Completed Northern Isles adding quite a few for real ale still continuing with Highland & Western Isles.

Current state of play.

Counties completed

Tayside
Fermanagh
Antrim
Londonderry
Down
Tyrone
Armagh
Hampshire
Isle Of Man
Dorset
Wiltshire
Durham
Shropshire
Kingdom Of Fife
Central
Cornwall
Isle Of Wight
Northern Isles
Berkshire

In Progress

Highland & Western Isles
Surrey completed, only managing to add one.

ROBCamra
29-11-2013, 12:52
After lots of procrastination include Beaujolais & PuG crawls I've eventually finished Highland. :cheers:

Now starting on Ayrshire, Arran & Argyll.

Current state of play.

Counties completed

Tayside
Fermanagh
Antrim
Londonderry
Down
Tyrone
Armagh
Hampshire
Isle Of Man
Dorset
Wiltshire
Durham
Shropshire
Kingdom Of Fife
Central
Cornwall
Isle Of Wight
Northern Isles
Berkshire
Highland & Western Isles
Surrey

In Progress

Ayrshire, Arran & Argyll

ROBCamra
11-12-2013, 14:45
Finished Ayrshire, Arran & Argyll. Added 3 or 4 pubs and loads for real ale.

Now starting on Grampian.

Current state of play.

Counties completed

Tayside
Fermanagh
Antrim
Londonderry
Down
Tyrone
Armagh
Hampshire
Isle Of Man
Dorset
Wiltshire
Durham
Shropshire
Kingdom Of Fife
Central
Cornwall
Isle Of Wight
Northern Isles
Berkshire
Highland & Western Isles
Surrey
Ayrshire, Arran & Argyll

In Progress

Grampian

Mobyduck
12-12-2013, 20:21
West Sussex done,nine added for real ale plus one new pub submitted .

Mobyduck
19-12-2013, 18:01
West Sussex done,nine added for real ale plus one new pub submitted .
East Sussex done as well , adding seven for real ale.

ROBCamra
21-12-2013, 10:05
Current state of play

Counties completed

Tayside
Fermanagh
Antrim
Londonderry
Down
Tyrone
Armagh
Hampshire