PDA

View Full Version : Ever get called CID or Police while visiting pubs.

bcfczuluarmy
24-09-2013, 19:06
Just wondering if it's me and my mate that when doing less than salubrious pubs some locals are convinced you are the police/CID on undercover duties? We've had it quite a few times in pubs in Bristol along with one where I thought landlord thought we were police but mate thinks landlord thought we'd just been let out the cells.

Not sure why people think I'm/we're police I'm basically just 6'1" in mid 30's with mate shorter and oldr. Maybe it's just because 2 of us do visits.

So many others encountered same issue or other suggestions to their professions when in certain pubs.

an_ecumenical_matter
24-09-2013, 21:57
A friend of mine wore a jacket and tie in the Long Bar in Old Market in Bristol once, the regulars got very agitated and the barman came over and asked him to removed his tie as the customers were very worried !!!!!!!!!!

Soup Dragon
24-09-2013, 21:58
One pub I visited in Walsall definitely thought I was the police - I was quizzed by the gaffer - I remember him saying 'we don't get many strangers in here'. I actually stayed for a second drink so it didn't look suspicious! He seemed fine then!

Bucking Fastard
25-09-2013, 08:49
Happened to me many moons ago in a pub in Hayes that overlooks the canal.In answer to the query "Are you two CID ? " I pointed out that I had arrived on a canal boat.A couple of regulars scuttled over to the pub window and seemed very relieved that there wasn't a police launch moored outside.:muppet:

This was all a long time before pub reviewing,but I have never been back since.

Farway
25-09-2013, 12:47
Years back had similar experiences in Chester area, working up there, tie, white shirt, jacket, etc, went for pint after work with mate, similar suited & booted.

Found we had a lot of space around us at the crowded bar

ROBCamra
25-09-2013, 13:20
I posted most of this as part of a review of the The Shoulder Of Mutton (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/40163/) in Bradford

A couple of years ago whilst I was working for OCJR (Office For Criminal Justice Reform) with West Yorkshire Police & CPS I called in here with a Chief Super (plain clothes) & the business manageress for West Yorkshire CPS. We sat in the small snug on the left, which had only one table available and started discussing the new system we were putting into Bradford Crown Court. After about 5 minutes I looked around and realised we were now the only 3 people in the room. :p

Al 10000
25-09-2013, 15:23
I must be different to most on this site,when i visit a rough pub i either blend into the background or get talking to locals,they always seem to see me has a normal down to earth drinker that has turned up in their pub.

I dont dress scruffy and always wear shoes,never trainers,it must be the way i look.

Oggwyn Trench
25-09-2013, 17:48
Yes in The Church Wickets (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32692/) it used to be a Wetherspoons but they sold it because of all the trouble , jeans , trainers , polo shirt and correctly spelt tattoos mark you out as a possible fed in Dawley ........ inbred ####ers

bcfczuluarmy
29-07-2014, 20:59
Encountered it again today for first time in a while as far as I recall in Charles Dickins (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61884/) old bloke starring at me at the bar as I ordered drinks. Knew exactly what he was thinking as soon as I clocked him looking, that'll be my Police training for sure....

He did ask me if I was alright to which I replied yes etc to which he continued to stare and stare until his mate said do you think we're going to get raided so I let them know I wasn't Police and walked off to sit down shaking my head. Given their ages I'd be interested to see what criminality they may have been involved in.

What's more funny is that a Brummie in a pub in Weston is nothing suspicious in my book as the place is full of them. Wonder if I'll get this in all the remaining back street pubs in the town I've still to do if so it could get funny.

Quinno
29-07-2014, 22:22
It's Weston...! Being from one of the 'posher' towns up the road originally I know what it's like ;)

Gann
31-07-2014, 17:04
Yep, used to get it all the time when I was a salesman many moons ago..

I used to cover GEC / Plessey (or GPT as they were known back in the day) who had two big sites in Beeston Nottingham and Edge Lane in Liverpool, both now sadly shut down , and both of which were not the most salubrious of areas back in the early 80's.
And many a time with my regional boss we'd go for a post customer visit pint and the sight of a couple of white blokes with short hair, short sleaved white shirts and ties walking into a back street pub not far from the sites used to send the locals into a lather...