PDA

View Full Version : Price rises

hopwas
05-03-2010, 11:50
I went to Tamworth FC last Tuesday, went in its clubhouse and ordered my usual. I sorted out my change (£2.50) and was about to hand over to barmaid.

Barmaid: That'll be £2.80 please

Hoppy: What?!

Barmaid: Yes I am afraid so.

I was fuming and forced to handed over extra 30p.. :moremad::moremad::moremad:

Now this brings me wonder there is must be some of law informing customer beaware of price rise. I can accept 5p or 10p rise but 30p???

Month ago.. In The Bole Bridge, I ordered pint of Ruddles County which was 99p and only to found out it has risen overnight.. cost? Bleeding £1.65!! :moremad:

arwkrite
05-03-2010, 12:04
Had a pint of Ruddles for £1.49p in the Kings Fee, Hereford ,a JDW last week. My local increased the price of my usual Hobsons by 10p upto £2.30p.. The only place I can get it cheaper is if I go shop lifting.

Conrad
05-03-2010, 12:04
Another one for Ed this. I think to be honest it is the start of a trend we are going to see a lot of. Inflation does seem to be building up and a lot of places have been sat on their prices for quite a while, I think when they raise them they are going to push them up quite a bit in anticipation of avoiding raising them again in a hurry, short sharp shock rather than lots of small 5p increases.

Always grim when you have the right change sorted and they suddenly hit you with the cost rise though :moremad:

Strongers
05-03-2010, 12:11
I was in a pub in Chiswick some time ago and paid £3.10 for a pint of Guinness and when I went up to the bar for a second pint I was charged £3.30. I enquired about extra 20p and the barman told me that they had just put the prices up as the older and cheaper barrel had just run out.

hopwas
05-03-2010, 12:13
Had a pint of Ruddles for £1.49p in the Kings Fee, Hereford ,a JDW last week. My local increased the price of my usual Hobsons by 10p upto £2.30p.. The only place I can get it cheaper is if I go shop lifting.

Lucky we do have another JDW selling Ruddles for £1.49

ROBCamra
05-03-2010, 12:27
Lucky we do have another JDW selling Ruddles for £1.49

I'm not sure drinking Ruddles could ever be considered "lucky" whatever the price. :D

arwkrite
05-03-2010, 12:33
I'm not sure drinking Ruddles could ever be considered "lucky" whatever the price. :D

If you drink it while eating the Allday Breakfast it not to bad. The grease coats you taste buds and the Ruddles sorts of slithers down your throat unnoticed.

hopwas
05-03-2010, 12:45
JDW is becoming a saviour for people couldn't afford few pints in normal pubs..

Farway
05-03-2010, 13:01
JDW is becoming a saviour for people couldn't afford few pints in normal pubs..

Yep indeed, my local recently upped 6X from 2.70 to 2.80, but with a JDW on the cards for Waterlooville I will flash the bus pass and join all the other poor old farts in there

Eddie86
05-03-2010, 13:04
We're holding off until the budget. We have so far only done one price increase a year, but this year a larger than life one (30p sounds about right) is expected.

VAT increase (swallowed) = 10p pint (prev £3)
Brewers increase (swallowed) - between 5-7p a pint (plus vat) = a rounded up 10p
Duty increase - expect another 5p + VAT a pint
VAT increase - my money's on 20% VAT rate
NI increase - not sure how to break this down into cost per pint
Rates increase - as above

Plus potential: Min Wage increase (we pay more than MW but if that goes up 10p/hr we normally add 10p/hr to our wages)

I'm dreading doing it all in one go, but all the above increases are to make the same amount of money as before.

It's the same in any business, but pubs feel more personal than others (IMO), and I don't want to go over the £3 mark but it seems increasingly the norm (my recent trip to oxford and east anglia, as well as other pubs in the area). We'll see what happens when the budget comes out.

Sorry for the negative outlook!

Farway
05-03-2010, 13:18
I think the £3 mark is a sticking point for most, for London £3 may be cheap, but not for the vast majority who do not live there

A few years back in Guildford I nearly died when they wanted over £3, but no doubt London prices spill over that far

But I suppose it is all relative, as a reformed smoker I was staggered to see fags are over £5 a packet, last time I looked they were 4/3d and beer was 1/3d a pint

For younger viewers that is 22.5p & 6.5p respectively

Conrad
05-03-2010, 13:20
Thanks Ed,

It is interesting to hear a well reasoned response to the question. Does sound like more woe for your industry though.

hopwas
05-03-2010, 13:26
I think the £3 mark is a sticking point for most, for London £3 may be cheap, but not for the vast majority who do not live there

Bitter normally sells for around £2.50 while Lager selling for around £2.70. 5 years ago it was £1.80 for bitter and £2 for lager.

A few years back in Guildford I nearly died when they wanted over £3, but no doubt London prices spill over that far

As you go further south and it becomes more pricer. I had to fork out £3.80 for pint in London (No I am not talking about that pub in Harrod's!) in Jan.

But I suppose it is all relative, as a reformed smoker I was staggered to see fags are over £5 a packet, last time I looked they were 4/3d and beer was 1/3d a pint

For younger viewers that is 22.5p & 6.5p respectively

I remember I bought my first pint ever of Carling and it was £1.50 in 1995. 20 Fags was around £3.

ROBCamra
05-03-2010, 13:48
As you go further south and it becomes more pricer.

That's not always true Hoppy, it depends on the market.

It's very easy to buy a £3 pint in Harrogate or York for example, when in general Yorkshire is one of the cheapest places to drink in the country.

If there weren't any tourists around the price would be lower.

I can't think of any other reason why Betty's tea shop in Harrogate can charge about £8 for a pot of tea and a cake and the :muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet: still queue down the street to get in. Actually judging by the people who were queueing up last week I need a couple more of those. :muppet::muppet: :D

Oggwyn Trench
05-03-2010, 13:57
Dont forget the way the Pubcos work , if your tied chances are you`ll be paying 50% more for your beer than the free trade and if through hard graft you manage to increase your barrelage they will kindly double your rent , what lovelly people they are :moremad:

Alesonly
05-03-2010, 16:16
Bitter normally sells for around £2.50 while Lager selling for around £2.70. 5 years ago it was £1.80 for bitter and £2 for lager.

I remember I bought my first pint ever of Carling and it was £1.50 in 1995. 20 Fags was around £3.

Wow I think my first Pint was around 24p in 1973 for a Pint of Light & Bitter. Or A Pint of Light & Mild. Now In Muswell Hill where I live your lucky If you can get a Pint for just short of £4.00.

hopwas
05-03-2010, 16:51
Now In Muswell Hill where I live your lucky If you can get a Pint for just short of £4.00.

:eek:

What wrong with faithful JDWs... :whistle:

Alesonly
05-03-2010, 21:13
That’s the Problem With the Muswell Hill area there’s No competition for Miles around so they can get away with charging way over the top. The nearest Spoons is at Southgate or Finchley. But The Green Man/The Hill bar is now empty yet again so lets hope Wetherspoons Buy and turn it back into a good Pub this area needs It.

P/s Went into One local at Muswell Hill the other night and got charged £6.84 For a Pint of Adnams & a Small Pepsi.

trainman
05-03-2010, 21:39
P/s Went into One local at Muswell Hill the other night and got charged £6.84 For a Pint of Adnams & a Small Pepsi.

FFS! You gotta move Ales.

ETA
05-03-2010, 22:24
Wow I think my first Pint was around 24p in 1973 for a Pint of Light & Bitter. Or A Pint of Light & Mild. Now In Muswell Hill where I live your lucky If you can get a Pint for just short of £4.00.

Old Peculiar in the Little Gem in Aylesford - 33p/pint in 1977. Same year, Young's Best was 25p/pint in The Tudor Rose, Upnor.

arwkrite
05-03-2010, 22:50
1967 The Hen & Chickens ,Coleham ,Shrewbury , a Greenalls house selling Greenalls Bitter for 1/2d a pint ( about 6 p a pint ) 20 No.6 fags ( or Cadets ) about 1/ 4d . Better ones such as Gold Leaf perhaps at 1/6d.
I remember that some time in the mid 70s we had raging inflation ( remember Harold Wilson suddenly retiring ? ) when stuff rose in price by leaps and bounds. So much for no more Boom and Bust we were promised by the Politicians.

Eddie86
06-03-2010, 01:11
Showing my lack of age here, but I remember Carling being £2.10 and Grolsh being £2.30 - this is before I met Adnams of course!

Interesting piece in the MA this week about price of ale - some highlight it is a local, craft product, and therefore compared to mass produced lager should be a premium. Worth a read if you can. Watch out for Marco Pierre White talking about his £4 pints...

arwkrite
06-03-2010, 08:18
No doubt MPW will sell his £4 pints to people who like to pay the premium of eating and drinking in premises run by a Celebrity Chef but I tend to steer clear of "Celebrity" anything. There are a lot of people out there, like Eddie86 and his ilk, working hard to provide good food at affordable prices without benefit of a narcissistic TV series. Why should anything be considered premium unless demand outstrips supply ? ( As you can see I woke up grumpy this morning ) The power of advertising bends malleable minds into believing they are paying more for something which is better and more stylish to be seen with. I am waiting for a brewer to announce that a top " Celebrity " has peed into the brew, will be released as a "Celebrity" brand and will command a premium price. " Posh Becks" perhaps ? Some people swear by drinking your urine you can clear you body of toxins. I have never been sold on the idea but with the power of advertising you could possibly create a niche market.
Sorry if I have put anybody off their healthy glass of apple juice this morning.

Strongers
06-03-2010, 10:45
The way Fullers are heading at the moment it won't be long before they break the £4 barrier.

Conrad
06-03-2010, 10:51
I have been trying to remember how much it was when I started, I have vague memories of between £1-£1.50, that will have been for whatever cheap generic lager they had on, probably xxxx, Fosters & Heineken.

hopwas
06-03-2010, 10:56
I have been trying to remember how much it was when I started, I have vague memories of between £1-£1.50, that will have been for whatever cheap generic lager they had on, probably xxxx, Fosters & Heineken.

Hmmm.. That suggests you may be slightly older than me. I remember paying around £1.45 for XXXX 15 years ago.

Conrad
06-03-2010, 11:01
Have I not revealed my age :o, yep I am older than you, born late '73 so currently 36. Started drinking when I was 16-17.

hopwas
06-03-2010, 11:04
Have I not revealed my age :o, yep I am older than you, born late '73 so currently 36. Started drinking when I was 16-17.

:D

Born in '78 and I am 31 so we are not far off..

Actually I think we are one of youngest in this forum. I know Ed is much younger..

Conrad
06-03-2010, 11:19
We're certainly amongst them, Ed as you say is amazingly a lot younger, Dave M is between us. There are a few younger ones joining in now as well though.

In general we actually seem to have quite variation in the ages now, all good stuff.

Oggwyn Trench
06-03-2010, 12:53
Remember Springfield Bitter being between 35p - 40p in the early 80s depending on if you were in the Bar or Lounge .

Oggwyn Trench
06-03-2010, 12:55
Showing my lack of age here, but I remember Carling being £2.10 and Grolsh being £2.30 - this is before I met Adnams of course!

Interesting piece in the MA this week about price of ale - some highlight it is a local, craft product, and therefore compared to mass produced lager should be a premium. Worth a read if you can. Watch out for Marco Pierre White talking about his £4 pints...

Duke of York by me , Carling still £2 10 ,

oldboots
06-03-2010, 17:05
I remember a group of us saying (late 70s?) we'd quit drinking if Courage Directors got to 50p a pint, needless to say it did, we didn't.

Oggwyn Trench
06-03-2010, 17:32
I remember a group of us saying (late 70s?) we'd quit drinking if Courage Directors got to 50p a pint, needless to say it did, we didn't.

We once spent the week drinking Mild in protest at the Bitter going up to 65p a pint

Soup Dragon
07-03-2010, 14:53
It is funny isn't it - when petrol was sold in gallons we drove past a filling station as it was a penny more expensive, now it is sold in litres, we would go to a place that equates to 20p a gallon more and think nothing of it. Banks's MILD varies by up to 50p from one pub to the next (excluding Spoonsy places) - often the quality gets worse the more you pay!

runningdog
07-03-2010, 19:25
It is funny isn't it...... often the quality gets worse the more you pay!
Sorry, linking you out of context like that, Soups, old son, but that's very true. Strange, but True..........:drinkup: Peculiar even...........:drinkup:

Eddie86
07-03-2010, 22:48
One of the other factors is supply and demand. The week between Christmas and New Year in 08, we offered everything at £2.50 a pint. Guinness, Peroni, Hoegarden, everything.

We sold 1 pint more than the same time the year before. So we knocked it on the head - the only 'price promotion' that we do as such is happy hour for all Wales rugby games now. Having said that, moving up to 8 ales will possibly see me vary the pricing structure a little, but I'll have to test the water before anything becomes fully tied down.

aleandhearty
08-03-2010, 00:05
the only 'price promotion' that we do as such is happy hour for all Wales rugby games now.

Well you need to do something to cheer the fans up. Particularly the first half of each game. :D

Eddie86
08-03-2010, 11:11
No tasting session at the new brewery for you then! :-)

hopwas
08-03-2010, 12:42
Go back to original post..

I was in Tamworth FC clubhouse last sat, I ordered my usual and sat down with one of die hard fans. He commented that clubhouse lost around 30 regulars due to excessive rise and defected to JDW.. (no surprises there!) and bar takings was lower than usual..

Simply 30p is too much for some and I normally drink 4 to 5 pints in clubhouse. This week I only drank one... yes one! I spent time in local JDW longer than usual.

Worrying times for TFC clubhouse..

Eddie86
08-03-2010, 17:40
Give it time Hoppy, give it time. Although 30p in one go is a hell of a hit.

hopwas
10-03-2010, 10:42
Bit of history in Tamworth..

First £3 pint in any Tamworth pubs was Old Speckled Hen in Red Lion, Hopwas. Used be £2.85.

Very next pub after Red Lion, Tame Otter also had £3+ pint, Everad's Tiger. Used be £2.80.

Scrap Beer tax!!! :moremad::moremad::moremad:

hondo
10-03-2010, 12:07
and we've got the Budget on the 24th March :(:eek::sick:

hopwas
10-03-2010, 12:12
and we've got the Budget on the 24th March :(:eek::sick:

I'll get knives and gun ready for Alistair Darling...

Conrad
10-03-2010, 12:21
I'll get knives and gun ready for Alistair Darling...
You are Gordon, and I claim my £5

hondo
10-03-2010, 14:39
separated at birth

201 :muppet:

Conrad
10-03-2010, 14:49
This could degenerate very quickly:

Eddie86
10-03-2010, 15:49

Nuff Said :muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet::m uppet::muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet::mup pet::muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet:

:muppet:

runningdog
10-03-2010, 17:41
This could degenerate very quickly:

I was gonna suggest it already had, but than Mr 86 restored the balance..........:cheers::cheers::drinkup::D

Eddie86
10-03-2010, 18:54
Somebody has to act their age around here!

arwkrite
11-03-2010, 08:11

Thank You Eddie, that leaves us B.O.Fs to grow old disgracefully.Its much more fun after all that acting responsibly which is a greatly overestimated pastime.

ROBCamra
11-03-2010, 10:15

I find that acting my shoe size (quote Prince) is much better all round. :p

Eddie86
11-03-2010, 23:31
Well, that's fine then. Just make sure you wipe your feet before you come in, and we don't have sky hooks - put your jacket in the cloak room!

As for acting shoe size, that's a 13 for me which means breaking voice and a lot of biology homework...

Conrad
12-03-2010, 10:55
Well I will stick to high and squeaky over here with my rather inferior size 8's.