PDA

View Full Version : The money shot

Conrad
05-03-2010, 11:30
I've just been through approving all of yesterdays pictures (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/reports/activity.php?year=2010&month=3&day=4&page=2&picture=on) and noticed an interesting trend from Manky Badger. He has been submitting pictures of the pumps and clips. I've always thought this was a good idea, although can understand people not wanting to deal with the inevitable questions as they drag their camera/phone out to photo the clips.

Anyway it is a nice touch to show what they are selling and was quite impressed to see him putting the effort in.

trainman
05-03-2010, 11:48
Yep, I've always liked that style of image as it gives an instant 'snapshot', especially for the ale drinker, to assess the pub.
I was conscious, when loading a few myself recently that, like many others, most of my images were of pub exteriors which is something of a shame.
Some of my interior examples included Commercial (Herne Hill), Ship (Croydon), & Good Intent, Puttenham, and I now notice that the pubs are virtually empty at the time. So maybe that's it - we don't like taking pictures in a busier pub just in case someone takes umbrage (or someone just too ugly spoils the shot!). So, maybe the committed snappers out there could get some opening-time interiors of the pubs? Myself & the omnipresent John McGraw have a very similar shot inside the Halfway House, Brenchley, and I think it's the sort of thing that would attract me in.

arwkrite
05-03-2010, 12:27
With the new digital cameras I now find it easier to take interiors shots without flash.I place it on the table pointed in the general direction and let it get on with it. No good? just delete and try another. You would think with every mobile phone having a camera no one would think twice what you were doing. I did take a very nice one at Christmas of a log fire in my local but Hoppy spied a holly branch in a brass jug and marked me down as a visitor to pubs with:twigs::twigs::twigs:.

Strongers
05-03-2010, 12:46
I took my camera out a couple of days ago and I'm waiting for the missus to show me how to stick the pictures on the computer. I have to admit to feeling like a bit of a lemon standing there taking pictures, but I'm sure it will pass.

trainman
05-03-2010, 12:59
I have to admit to feeling like a bit of a lemon standing there taking pictures
Probably not as self-conscious as I felt on my solitary attempt to take pub notes on a dictaphone - it was at the Old Shades, Whitehall; I'm sure some American tourists thought I was calling in some dastardly terrrrist plan. Actually there was another attempt, over the road in Lord Moon on Mall where, this being later in the day & me having had a goodly few, I spoke into it rather loudly next to the knobs blocking sight of the pumps, about the knobs blocking sight of the pumps. As true as I'm typing this, they (5 blokes) had 3 lagers and two cabernet sauvignons and chose to stand blocking 6 guest handpumps. Grrr. Anyway, I don't think those two reviews ever made it onto t'internet, so it could be a laugh if I can track down the machine.
Sorry, didn't mean that to hi-jack the thread.

Farway
05-03-2010, 13:10
I have taken some interior pub shots, but I choose empty bars just in case it catches the boss out with secretary, or Tom & Harry holding hands

I know I did ask once in the Bell Inn, Chichester http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/39447/ as I was so impressed by his range of beers, the landlord was chuffed as I explained it would be on internet PG, and more than happy for me to photograph his beer mats from all the ales he had sold [CAMRA pub]

Conrad
05-03-2010, 13:22
I have to admit I am not averse to the free advertising ;)

trainman, should we be offering an audio upload facility so that we can all hear your review notes :)

trainman
05-03-2010, 13:29
trainman, should we be offering an audio upload facility so that we can all hear your review notes :)
Hehehe, I think you'd need an audio translation facility to make head or tail of 'em!

trainman
05-03-2010, 13:37
I have taken some interior pub shots, but I choose empty bars just in case it catches the boss out with secretary, or Tom & Harry holding hands

I know I did ask once in the Bell Inn, Chichester http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/39447/ as I was so impressed by his range of beers, the landlord was chuffed as I explained it would be on internet PG, and more than happy for me to photograph his beer mats from all the ales he had sold [CAMRA pub]

Yep, those pictures would make me want to visit, nice wood interior, proper barstools, handpumps, old pumpclips, nice one Farway. The other thing about it being easier (& better) to take the interior when empty is that you get to see the pub itself, which is what the image should be about and, yes, I agree it's only courteous to ask before you take an interior shot, especially if you're the only person the barstaff/guv has to focus on! If the photographer thinks the picture worth taking, the pub should be happy to have a positive representation online.

Oggwyn Trench
05-03-2010, 14:03
I have thought about taking a few interior pictures , trouble is its usually a Friday or Saturday night when im out so it tends to be a bit to busy for photos (you dont want to see the gruesome lumps that drink around here , and thats the woman).

Farway
05-03-2010, 14:21
Yep, those pictures would make me want to visit, nice wood interior, proper barstools, handpumps, old pumpclips, nice one Farway. The other thing about it being easier (& better) to take the interior when empty is that you get to see the pub itself, which is what the image should be about and, yes, I agree it's only courteous to ask before you take an interior shot, especially if you're the only person the barstaff/guv has to focus on! If the photographer thinks the picture worth taking, the pub should be happy to have a positive representation online.

Well, if you, or anyone else, is in the Chichester area do try the Bell Inn, may looks a bit scruffy outside but don't judge book by the cover, has a very small car park as well

Rex_Rattus
05-03-2010, 21:01
To be honest I've never really thought about taking interior shots before. But I can see that there is merit in doing so, although I would feel honour bound to ask the barperson first. I often visit pubs between 11.00 AM and noon, so should be able to get a few decent ones - without anyone in them, as I have found out that are a good few people who frequent pubs who really don't appreciate having their mugshots taken!! Just a word of caution, it as an area over which one has to be a bit careful.

Maldenman
05-03-2010, 21:17
Strangely this is a subject I considered yesterday. I had a few pints around Hampton, and noticed before setting out that three of my pubs had no photos on here. Accordingly I took the old camera out and pictured said pubs, but The Roebuck has a fascinating interior, full of strange and wonderful artifacts. I considered a photo or two, but felt awkward asking in case it was taken wrongly, so I didn't bother.

Thanks anyway Conrad for adding my pics.

Conrad
05-03-2010, 23:15
I definitely would agree don't take pictures if you are not comfortable with it. The bit that was quite original about MB's pictures was how tightly focused the clips were so avoiding any faces in frame.

I do think the interior shots where they can be taken give a fantastic perspective of the pub. Also clearly any mention of PuG to the landlord is good advertising for us.

Also thanks to Maldenman and all picture contributors for their photos, they are a huge asset to the site and allow us to offer another aspect other than being a plain review site.

arwkrite
06-03-2010, 08:30
If you do inadvertently include people or vehicles in your photos then it is reasonably easy to " spray" out faces or number plates using a simple Imaging program. It is something I prefer to do.

Conrad
06-03-2010, 10:47
If you do inadvertently include people or vehicles in your photos then it is reasonably easy to " spray" out faces or number plates using a simple Imaging program. It is something I prefer to do.
Actually if anyone wants some advice on this approach, just chuck a post in requests, I'm sure between us we can come up with a reasonable guide.

Millay
06-03-2010, 14:39
I’ve taken a few interior shots and uploaded the good ones. The ones I try to take surreptitiously often end up blurred, probably a consequence of turning off the flash so I also use the ’resting on the table’ method to steady the camera. Any obvious photography I’d ask first and wouldn’t usually include people in the photo. I have taken to photographing pub signs as there are still some quite attractive ones around.

Probably not as self-conscious as I felt on my solitary attempt to take pub notes on a dictaphone
I’ve never used a Dictaphone to capture reviews but often make notes on the memo function on my mobile.
The trouble is if I’ve had a few I can’t always work out what they mean when I find them a week or more later. I have one that says ‘14 low dive ricks gone lava montage’ and another that says ‘sixth silver add john’. But my favourite note is one that just says ’325090 pride peanut’. So if any of you recognise a pub from your travels from those descriptions please let me know :D

Farway
06-03-2010, 15:09
Whilst on subject of photos, as well as the inside, pub sign etc I do sometimes photo the food, which to my mind at least may give an idea of offerings apart from bare menu

All adds to the overall image [pun intended] of a pub

arwkrite
06-03-2010, 15:28
Shortly after the Grafton Inn , Hereford was made over the mrs and I visited. On returning from the Gents I enthused so much over the decor my mrs

told me to take a photo so she could see it which I did. Never thought of posting it but where do you stop? On these sort of occasions it is a not to include anyone or even to admit to doing it.

Eddie86
06-03-2010, 16:19
I've recently got hold of a proper camera, and so I'll try and get round the local pubs for pictures if that helps. Interior as well - we're making a database of local pubs for the local CAMRA branch, as quite a few are in the sticks here and any help is good for them (I hope!) 2 pints with 1 glass, you might say

Farway
06-03-2010, 16:55
Shortly after the Grafton Inn , Hereford was made over the mrs and I visited. On returning from the Gents I enthused so much over the decor my mrs

told me to take a photo so she could see it which I did. Never thought of posting it but where do you stop? On these sort of occasions it is a not to include anyone or even to admit to doing it.

Guilty as charged, I took photos of bogs at the Hampshire Hog when it had been revamped and had open day, for much same reason as you, I was very impressed compared to normal pub

I did upload but mentioned it to Conrad in case he thought it was "not on" seemed to be OK

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/14100/

Now, should I take bog pics of the Bird in Hand? Nice ones, but come with large vase of twigs in corner :)

gillhalfpint
06-03-2010, 17:22
Hubby took a lovely photo of the gents urinal at Pivo's in York when it was a gargoyles mouth. Unfortunately next time we went someone had tried to rip it off the wall, and the last time we went it had gone. Had the loos in the Philarmonic in Liverpool cleared so a group of us ladies could go in to take photos of the urinals there. Always the gents that have the interesting features!! Gents outside loo at a pub in Brighton has a board above the door saying USED BEER DEPARTMENT.

Wanted to start a website publoos.com but it could be abused.

Manky Badger
06-03-2010, 17:25
I've just been through approving all of yesterdays pictures (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/reports/activity.php?year=2010&month=3&day=4&page=2&picture=on) and noticed an interesting trend from Manky Badger. He has been submitting pictures of the pumps and clips. I've always thought this was a good idea, although can understand people not wanting to deal with the inevitable questions as they drag their camera/phone out to photo the clips.

Anyway it is a nice touch to show what they are selling and was quite impressed to see him putting the effort in.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=288225&id=654545402&l=f04c911092 is a hobby of mine too...

Eddie86
06-03-2010, 18:37

Click Here! (http://www.toiletinspector.com/)

Conrad
06-03-2010, 18:42
I've recently got hold of a proper camera, and so I'll try and get round the local pubs for pictures if that helps. Interior as well - we're making a database of local pubs for the local CAMRA branch, as quite a few are in the sticks here and any help is good for them (I hope!) 2 pints with 1 glass, you might say
Well we would always love to have them. How involved with CAMRA are you, Ed? I am constantly wondering if there is some room for us to promote CAMRA from the main site and hopefully get a little reciprocal promotion. A simple for instance is to refer to local CAMRA branches from the towns and some pubs on the PG site. I should say if anyone has any involvement with CAMRA this sort of thing interests us.

Hubby took a lovely photo of the gents urinal at Pivo's in York when it was a gargoyles mouth. Unfortunately next time we went someone had tried to rip it off the wall, and the last time we went it had gone. Had the loos in the Philarmonic in Liverpool cleared so a group of us ladies could go in to take photos of the urinals there. Always the gents that have the interesting features!! Gents outside loo at a pub in Brighton has a board above the door saying USED BEER DEPARTMENT.

We are back at the pub loos sites again :) http://www.pubtoilets.com/

Also given this twist of the thread I am now really regretting the title I gave it.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=288225&id=654545402&l=f04c911092 is a hobby of mine too...
And there's me thinking you did it all the photos for us, I'm less impressed now ;).

I have to admit I am playing in my mind with ways of storing pump clips in the system, there are some classic images snuck into them.

Farway
07-03-2010, 13:49
Always the gents that have the interesting features!!

One feature I found was instead of the normal "polo" cleaning block in base was a mini disinfectant football dangling down, thus one could happily while away the time, and no doubt publican ensured we all improved our aim :rolleyes:

runningdog
07-03-2010, 19:46
Nothin to do with photos, but as this seems to be concentrating on loos for now, I don't feel guilty at all. Went into a pub that had a beautiful polished marble bar top. Only the name of a well-known supplier of loos and such gave the game away. Can't remember the name of the place, but I'm told it's gone now.
Shame, wonder what happened to the bar top..........:cheers:

Conrad
07-03-2010, 20:00
Nothin to do with photos, but as this seems to be concentrating on loos for now, I don't feel guilty at all. Went into a pub that had a beautiful polished marble bar top. Only the name of a well-known supplier of loos and such gave the game away. Can't remember the name of the place, but I'm told it's gone now.
Shame, wonder what happened to the bar top..........:cheers:
Brilliant, I wonder if it works out any cheaper. :D

Edit: Oh God I now have visions of them rotating it with the Gents, "quick lads, the barrels empty, time to switch the urinals over" :eek:

Oggwyn Trench
07-03-2010, 20:05
Brilliant, I wonder if it works out any cheaper. :D

Edit: Oh God I now have visions of them rotating it with the Gents, "quick lads, the barrels empty, time to switch the urinals over" :eek:

Wasnt George Michaels local was it

Conrad
07-03-2010, 20:14
Wasnt George Michaels local was it
Only if there were lots of Police loitering in the toilets :whistle:

Eddie86
07-03-2010, 22:41
Only if there were lots of Police loitering in the toilets :whistle:

I thought they played with Sting?

Conrad
07-03-2010, 23:10
You couldn't have said they were in a band with Sting then? I'm now wondering if this is some aspect of Stings tantric obsession that I wasn't aware of.

Eddie86
08-03-2010, 20:57
PervsGalore anyone?

Ooooo, just seen that I 'just miss the round' now. How very true - takes years of practise :D