PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 8th September 2013)

ROBCamra
04-09-2013, 11:32
Mobyduck: Fullers Wild River
hondo: Oakham Green Devil IPA
Aqualung: Yeovil Ruby
Real Ale Ray: Craddock's Saxon Gold
Wittenden: Adnams Lighthouse
Oggwyn Trench: Oakham Attilla
london calling: Steel City Slight Case Of Overhopping
Thuck Phat: Flowers Original
Brewguru: Yeovil YPA
aleandhearty: Brass Castle Sunshine
ROBCamra: Green Duck Hook A Duck
Bucking Fastard: Fyne Jarl

Mobyduck
05-09-2013, 18:06
:cheers:
Apparently there is a burgeoning craft beer movement in Catalonia (http://www.culinarybackstreets.com/barcelona/2013/catalan-craft-beer/), (I'm off to Gatwick tonight ) but I'm not so sure looking at the picture, on that basis this is my list this week,
Darkstar Hophead
Darkstar American Pale Ale
Rudgate Jorvic Blonde
Fullers Wild River
The Jorvic Blonde nearly clinched it, but my first taste of the Wild River turned into five pints and then they called time.
Never thought I would have nominated a Fullers beer as BOTW (London Porter aside) , but it was excellent and a worthy winner.

Update - managed to get a pint of Chelsea Brewing Companys -Sunset Red Ale in Gatwick which wasnt too bad, no change to my BOTW though, other than that its been Estrella and San Mig so far.

hondo
07-09-2013, 12:17
Oakham ales - green devil ipa

Aqualung
08-09-2013, 19:05
A smallish list this week :-

East London Brewing Co Pale 4.0%
Salopian Darwin's Origins 4.3%
Three Castles Autumn Daze 4.4%
Yeovil Ruby 4.5%
Harviestoun Schiehallion 4.8%
Burton Bridge Battle Brew 5.0%
Hawkshead Cumbrian Five Hop 5.0%
Wadworth / Chelsea Sunset Red 5.0%
Brodie's Old Street Pale 5.0%
Oakham Attila 7.5%

It's between the Salopian Darwin's Origin and the Yeovil Ruby, although If I manage to catch the Hawkshead one in good nick over the coming months it will be a contender.

It has to go to the Yeovil Ruby served in immaculate condition at around 09:30 in the morning at the Crown & Sceptre Spoons in Streatham for £2.15. It's a classic mid strength red beer with plenty of bitterness to offset the malt. These red beers seem to be everywhere nowadays, maybe the memory of Watney's Red and Red Barrel is a forgotten nightmare or people are just sick to death of pale or golden ales.

BOTW Yeovil Ruby

Real Ale Ray
08-09-2013, 21:09
Craddock's - Saxon Gold

Wittenden
08-09-2013, 22:45
Two good pubs,dull beer.
Bishop Nick-Heresy 4.1%ABV. The most interesting beer of the week, on account of it being the reincarnation of Ridleys. However, this was not in good nick, unfortuately.
Adnams-Lighthouse 3.4% OK light bitter, but doesn't do anything Adnam's Bitter cannot.
St Austell-Tribute 4.2%abv. In good condition and workmanlike, but why fetch it all the way from Cornwall to West Sussex?
Greene King-Abbot Ale 5%abv Well kept,malt driven but inoffensive.40 years ago, I'd have given my eye teeth to drink this.Has it changed, or have I...
My BOTW, without much enthusiasm, Adnam's Lighthouse.

Oggwyn Trench
09-09-2013, 18:29
Only a few for me this week

Pennine - Copa Rup
Doctor Mortons - Branding Irony
Abbeydale - Belfry
Darkstar - American Pale Ale
Oakham - Attilla
Titanic - Plum Porter

BOTW Oakham - Attilla , very moreish and dangerous at 7.5% ........ Oakengates was full of casualties over the weekend :D

london calling
09-09-2013, 21:56
Had about 30 different beers this week.Lots would win best beer .But I must make a choice
hopcraft -Spanish main
brew co -mocha oat stout
isca -amerillo
kernel -export india porter
pictish -Columbus
arbor -blueberry brown beer
chantry -diamond black stout
tapped -bullet
all were superb but
steel city -slight case of overhopping was one of the best beers I have had this year

Thuck Phat
10-09-2013, 13:00
Very good week this week with some real quality:
Oakham Bishops Farewell, Perun, Aple (cider)
Titanic Plum Porter, White Star, Iceberg
Rat Red Rat
Tatton Best
Fyne Ales Jarl
Dark Star American Pale Ale
Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby
Hawkshead Cumbria 5 Hop
Jennings Cumberland
Flowers Original

Some great beers there with the Plum Porter, Cumbrian 5 Hop and American Pale Ale deserving mentions.
BOTW was Flowers Original drunk in The Old Harkers Arms, Chester. Easily passed the 3 pint test.
After several incarnations, this once fantastic beer seems to be back to its best as when it was originally brewed in Stratford.
A very classy boring brown beer.

Brewguru
10-09-2013, 13:44
Several beers at Minehead CAMRA festival enjoying the steam (and a Diesel or 2) engines.

Definitely worthy of Mentioning:
Saltaire New World Red
Wild Beer Madness
Red Willow Wreckless
Hand Drawn Monkey Smaller (2.8%!)
Yeovil Stout Hearted

But a clear Winner Yeovil YPA 7.3%. A new beer from this brewery, one of the first to sell out on the Saturday. Bronze in colour packed with juicy fruity hops and a malty alcoholic kick, extremely well balanced.

Couple of contenders for BABOTW are in that thread.

aleandhearty
11-09-2013, 11:59
Another quiet week for me.

Oldershaw - Pioneer.
Ossett - Corker.
Fernandes - Wheat Beer.
Ossett - Treacle Stout.
Brass Castle - Sunshine.

Always enjoy the TS and the Wheat Beer was very drinkable, but the Sunshine was outstanding. A big hitting, dry hopped, APA, but with with enough malt character to stop it being too mouth puckering. Very moreish.

ROBCamra
13-09-2013, 10:53
When Green Duck first started brewing I was a bit underwhelmed, but they were Cuckoo brewing on Grafton's plant.

Now they've got their own brewhouse in Stourbridge they've gone from strength to strength.

BOTW Green Duck Hook A Duck pale and interesting and doesn't taste its 4.8%, tried in THe Baum of course.

Runner up was Pictish Alchemists ale tried in The Flying Horse.

Yes Oggy I manage to get some Pictish in the town where it's brewed.!!

Big changes coming though as Richard is selling the brewery. I believe the guy he's selling it to is brewing there already under supervision.

Bucking Fastard
14-09-2013, 17:52
Late submission from me,just got back from a weeks solid drinking and boating.

Mc Mullens -- Country Bitter
Wadsworth -- Henry's IPA
Mallinsons -- SPA
Titanic -- Plumb Porter
Titanic - Iceberg
Titanic -- White Star
Tatton -- Best
Sarah Hughes -- Dark Ruby Mild
Fyne -- Jarl
Jennings -- Cumberland
Hawkshead -- Cambrian Five Hop

The Cambrian Five Hop and Titanic's Plumb Porter were both excellent,but BOTW goes to Fyne Jarl,packed full of flavour and possibly the best low strength beer I've had all year.Served in great nick in The Borough Arms,Crewe.