PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone thefts could result in loss of Pub's licence

Farway
22-08-2013, 13:43
I heard on Radio 4 this lunchtime how crime statistics could result in a pub losing it's licence

Now we all know if a pub has regular punch ups, abusive behaviour, stabbings and general mayhem & drunken wantonness then the licence is at risk

However it now seems the crime statistics, compiled by police, lump theft of mobile phone, laptop etc as "crime" committed in the pub, which it may well have been

But the point was made, given the prevalence of some folk to just leave phone on bar, go to loo, out for fag etc, or just lose the phone and last place they saw it was pub, the pub location gets blame. The general insinuation was that it is far easier to say it was nicked than I was p11ssed & lost it

More of a problem I suspect for yoof pubs than the ones I frequent

NickDavies
22-08-2013, 14:11
Is this to do with this?

http://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news/hackney_pub_the_dolphin_faces_closure_after_police _brand_it_as_hotspot_for_thefts_1_2285825

The Dolphin (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25055/)

Strongers
22-08-2013, 14:16
Surly for a crime statistic to count against a pub it should be investigated by the police. I can’t see the local bobby turning up to a pub to investigate a stolen phone.
Insurance companies require crime reference numbers to pay out on stolen phones so many people make up some story about it being stolen when all they’ve done is drop it down the toilet. If someone says that their phone was stolen in a certain pub will they have to prove that it was that pub? Can the landlord dispute the allegation?

Aqualung
22-08-2013, 14:34
I heard on Radio 4 this lunchtime how crime statistics could result in a pub losing it's licence

Now we all know if a pub has regular punch ups, abusive behaviour, stabbings and general mayhem & drunken wantonness then the licence is at risk

However it now seems the crime statistics, compiled by police, lump theft of mobile phone, laptop etc as "crime" committed in the pub, which it may well have been

But the point was made, given the prevalence of some folk to just leave phone on bar, go to loo, out for fag etc, or just lose the phone and last place they saw it was pub, the pub location gets blame. The general insinuation was that it is far easier to say it was nicked than I was p11ssed & lost it

More of a problem I suspect for yoof pubs than the ones I frequent

How come none of the pubs I frequent have closed down??

Is this to do with this?

http://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news/hackney_pub_the_dolphin_faces_closure_after_police _brand_it_as_hotspot_for_thefts_1_2285825

I remember playing darts in here around thirty years ago and it was a right dump. According to the online local beer guide it's now owned by our old friends Enterprise so obviously it must be a fantastic pub with people flocking from miles around to visit. Funny how there are no reviews!!

Farway
22-08-2013, 15:00
Is this to do with this?

That's it, never been there obviously, and sounds like a place I would avoid, and on the radio they said there were 17 "bouncers" or whatever the current euphemism is, so certainly one for me to give a miss

Farway
22-08-2013, 15:07
Surly for a crime statistic to count against a pub it should be investigated by the police. I can’t see the local bobby turning up to a pub to investigate a stolen phone.
Insurance companies require crime reference numbers to pay out on stolen phones so many people make up some story about it being stolen when all they’ve done is drop it down the toilet. If someone says that their phone was stolen in a certain pub will they have to prove that it was that pub? Can the landlord dispute the allegation?

The radio story was that the first the landlord knew about it was when they reviewed the crime stats, so given local plod due diligence I guess it is just logged, never investigated, put down to petty theft, or even can't be arsed, then filed

AlanH
22-08-2013, 18:00

It does seem very unfair on the pub. Would the police close down a factory, a school or a supermarket etc. if there had been excessive crime there. A pub seems an easy target for them.

Mobyduck
22-08-2013, 18:38
Scapegoat springs to mind.

Gann
23-08-2013, 13:55
I remember playing darts in here around thirty years ago and it was a right dump. According to the online local beer guide it's now owned by our old friends Enterprise so obviously it must be a fantastic pub with people flocking from miles around to visit. Funny how there are no reviews!!

I also remember walking in here once many moons ago when my Enfield to Liverpool St train terminated at London fields due to "an incident on the line" and I had to get off to get a bus up the High Road and thought I'd have a cheeky pint first.
Turned round and walked out faster than I went in...

Although I don't like to give credit to the Dark side, but a comment there sets the scene

"Perfect mix of sluts, junkies, hackneyites, builders, students, locals and thieves."

Notice the lack of reference to beer tickers....... for a reason !

Al 10000
23-08-2013, 16:10
The radio story was that the first the landlord knew about it was when they reviewed the crime stats, so given local plod due diligence I guess it is just logged, never investigated, put down to petty theft, or even can't be arsed, then filed

As the saying goes theres no smoke without fire,this will be the thin end of the wedge.

We are all lucky to be alive today because in years to come,there will be no such things as pubs,the puritans and health police will gradually chip away untill the day comes when drinking alcohol will be banned

This might seem far fetched but anyone on here who is 50 years or older will remember drinking every dinnertime,this practice is now frowned upon,when i worked in a factory in the late 70s till the mid 80s we had 3 pints every dinner and that was in an half hour break,the gaffers always came for a drink on a Friday.

So we have already lost that,no drinking allowed during working hours,they are always coming up with new ideas how to close pubs down for one reason or another.

In a few hundred years or probably less,everybody will get up to do their exercises,no full English breakfasts anymore they will also have been banned,fried food will be long gone,only healthy food allowed,the same will go for sweet things,as these are bad for teeth.

I wont see this day,but i am sure it will come at some point in the future.

I am pleased i was born in 1962 and not 2013.

Aqualung
24-08-2013, 09:11
"Perfect mix of sluts, junkies, hackneyites, builders, students, locals and thieves."

And I wasn't even there at the time of that review!