PDA

View Full Version : London Breweries

Aqualung
12-08-2013, 19:43
This list (http://pinterest.com/pin/516788125961703484/) makes interesting reading and the 2013 number is still increasing.

Mobyduck
12-08-2013, 19:50
This list (http://pinterest.com/pin/516788125961703484/) makes interesting reading and the 2013 number is still increasing.
Some good stuff happening there.

london calling
12-08-2013, 21:49
I make that 47 breweries and I have had a beer from 45 of them. I need Barnet but will have to visit the Brewpub.I also need Brockley so this wed night may try to find them around Crystal Palace area.

Aqualung
12-08-2013, 22:48
I make that 47 breweries and I have had a beer from 45 of them. I need Barnet but will have to visit the Brewpub.I also need Brockley so this wed night may try to find them around Crystal Palace area.

Bloody* hell!
There are loads I've never seen, but I'm happy to wait until I happen to stumble across them.

I passed the Barnet pub on a bus a week or two ago but I think it was too early for it to be open.

*Pardon My French

Mobyduck
13-08-2013, 06:48
A meager 14 for me.

gillhalfpint
13-08-2013, 07:32

Feel like doing the quiz thing and say "name them". Off to GBBF today, but won't have time unless something near Olympia. Must plan a good day down in the smoke soon. Did a good crawl round Hackney last year but so much is changing there these days.

Aqualung
13-08-2013, 08:58
A meager 14 for me.

I'm on 15 (excluding the first two and Wild Card), which considering I live here is nothing to shout about.

Gann
13-08-2013, 13:27
I'm on 15 (excluding the first two and Wild Card), which considering I live here is nothing to shout about.

25 for me , and most of the missing ones are from the last two years...
Since the opening of the Redemption brewery in Tottenham in 2010 that took a lot of us by surprise, it definitely feels like being in at ground zero for the explosion of brewing in London since the dark day when Youngs buggered off up to Bedford..

Gann
13-08-2013, 13:36
I need Barnet but will have to visit the Brewpub..

The Black Horse in Barnet is just north of my manor so feel free to PM me when you are going and if I'm around I'll join you for a pint. The Palamino is quite a nice pint although I think this is still brewed for them by XT rather than in the in-house plant.

Bucking Fastard
13-08-2013, 18:21
I have sampled beer from 18 of those breweries.Looking at the list of new breweries about start up and the 47 listed above,dare I whisper it that us Londoners will soon be enjoying an ale scene not too far dissimilar to that enjoyed by the good folk of Yorkshire. (Symbol: Tin hat on )

Quinno
13-08-2013, 18:31
,dare I whisper it that us Londoners will soon be enjoying an ale scene not too far dissimilar to that enjoyed by the good folk of Yorkshire. (Symbol: Tin hat on )

If t'em beers ain't good enough for t'pubs up Buggersforth an' Crappingdale way then they damn well as ain't good enough for me neither!

london calling
13-08-2013, 19:44
The Black Horse in Barnet is just north of my manor so feel free to PM me when you are going and if I'm around I'll join you for a pint. The Palamino is quite a nice pint although I think this is still brewed for them by XT rather than in the in-house plant.

I might take you up on that offer.
I have had palomino but brewed at XT.Also had a few of the not in production brewers
Wild Card brewed at Brentwood
Trumans(everards)
ansbach and hobday(Brewharf)
Lost Brewing(Florence)
3 friends(howling hops)
but I don't count them till they brew on their own plant.
I think Signature brewery is a bit dubious on the main list.

london calling
13-08-2013, 19:51

Just noticed they have missed Mulligans Brewery at the White Hart. who opened about a month ago. So that's 46 from 48.

Mobyduck
13-08-2013, 20:09
A meager 14 for me.

I'm not doing to bad then for an out of townie.:cheers: but must do better.

oldboots
13-08-2013, 21:33
I have sampled beer from 18 of those breweries.Looking at the list of new breweries about start up and the 47 listed above,dare I whisper it that us Londoners will soon be enjoying an ale scene not too far dissimilar to that enjoyed by the good folk of Yorkshire. (Symbol: Tin hat on )

47! bah there's more than that in the West Riding alone, good try but no cigar, Oh and one other thing what is the Champion Beer of Britain which was announced today?

:D (close as I can get to "smug bastard")

Aqualung
13-08-2013, 22:57
47! bah there's more than that in the West Riding alone, good try but no cigar, Oh and one other thing what is the Champion Beer of Britain which was announced today?

I was thinking along those lines when I originally read BF's post!

london calling
13-08-2013, 23:34

We do have more breweries than any city in the World.Smug sort of. But not one of our breweries had a beer in the final lists at GBBF.

aleandhearty
14-08-2013, 13:06

By typing that, you've allowed me to show remarkable restraint.

Bucking Fastard
14-08-2013, 15:46
Not wishing to inflame a&h but maybe London wins out on brewery concentration.

Greater London is 609 square miles and has 47 brewers = 1 per 12.96 square miles

I dont recall Yorkshire's 6,066 square miles having 468 brewers just yet.;)

oldboots
14-08-2013, 17:35
Not wishing to inflame a&h but maybe London wins out on brewery concentration.

Greater London is 609 square miles and has 47 brewers = 1 per 12.96 square miles

I dont recall Yorkshire's 6,066 square miles having 468 brewers just yet.;)

It's going that way, the latest figure I have is 146 breweries; but shall we try that comparison based on per head of population?

Population of London (mid 2012 est) 8,308,400 = 1 brewery to 176,774 people

Population of Yorkshire (mid 2012 est) 5,316,700 = 1 brewery to 36,416 people

looks like London needs to get up to 229 breweries to match Yorkshire

:whistle:

Quinno
14-08-2013, 18:33
I am impressed that my deliberate baiting of Northerners was unsuccessful :D

Aqualung
14-08-2013, 19:06
I am impressed that my deliberate baiting of Northerners was unsuccessful :D

The reason is they are so stupid up there that they don't realise they are being baited. :evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

Someone once told me that they still paint their faces blue in parts of Yorkshire, wherever that is.

Aqualung
15-08-2013, 16:51
The reason is they are so stupid up there that they don't realise they are being baited. :evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

Someone once told me that they still paint their faces blue in parts of Yorkshire, wherever that is.

Having re-read this post I feel I must apologise for it. It was meant to be funny but looking back it wasn't, it seems just rude. The woad joke was probably used by Bernard Manning about Southerners over thirty years ago!!

Wittenden
15-08-2013, 17:18
Having re-read this post I feel I must apologise for it. It was meant to be funny but looking back it wasn't, it seems just rude. The woad joke was probably used by Bernard Manning about Southerners over thirty years ago!!
If anyone wants some woad-I'm your man!

Gann
19-08-2013, 18:36
Can tick another one off.
Having a look round the Queen Elizabeth park by the Olympic park and stumbled upon the Crate Brewery on the way to Hackney Wick station.
Currently sitting by the canal with a pint of their best