PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 4th August 2013)

ROBCamra
30-07-2013, 15:26
hondo: Harbour Brewing Company Light Ale
Mobyduck: Wild Weather Ales Little Wind
Bucking Fastard: Blythe Bagot Bitter
Aqualung: Howling Hops Special Weizen
Wittenden: Old Dairy Sun Top Pale Ale
london calling: Buxton Spa
gillhalfpint: Malvern Hills Black Pear
Thuck Phat: Brancaster Oystercatcher
PaulOfHorsham: Fullers Sticky Wicket
oldboots: Holts Two Hoots
aleandhearty: Tigertops Simply Simcoe
ROBCamra: Greenfield Silver Owl

hondo
03-08-2013, 21:09
Harbour Brewing Company - Light Ale

Mobyduck
04-08-2013, 19:55
BOTW - Wild Weather Ales - Little Wind.
"Little Wind is a deep amber ale with a touch of copper
where lovely hop flavours dance on the lingering malty base, 4.2 %".
Well I dont know about all that but it was nice enough to be my BOTW even if it was a bit brown (deep amber).

Bucking Fastard
04-08-2013, 19:58
A bit of variety but not a blow out week by any means.

Banks's -- Bitter
Marston's -- Pedigree
GK -- "Morland" Original
Blythe -- Bagot Bitter
McMullens -- Country Bitter

BOTW by a long chalk was Blythe Bagot Bitter,a refreshing light golden ale supped in The Yorkshireman while waiting for a train at Rugeley Trent Valley

Back on the move up the T&M ,heading north into top boozing territory visiting some old favourites and a few new pubs around Stoke and Leek.Should be a very good week coming up.:drinkup:

Aqualung
04-08-2013, 22:52
A steady week with little that was all that good (in good nick rather than rubbish beer).

Leeds Yorkshire Gold 4.0%
Wickwar Bob 4.0%
Marston's Single Hop Pacific Gem 4.0%
London Fields Hackney Hopster 4.2%
Adnam's Ghost Ship 4.5%
Orkney Dark Island 4.6%
Nethergate Essex Border 4.8%
Howling Hops Special Weizen 5.2%
Theakston's Olde Peculiar 5.6%
Brodie's Dalston Black (Keykeg) 7.0%

The Marston's Single Hop was the only beer in good nick in the Drum, but a brew like this should be 5% not 4%. This leaves tbe Dark Island which was good but rather sweeter than I remember it, so it goes to the Howling Hops Special Weizen on sale in the William IV as a guest for £2.60. It was a typical cloudy wheat beer but with a big hop aroma and flavour.

BOTW Howling Hops Special Weizen

Wittenden
04-08-2013, 23:27
Quiet week: only draught beer as follows.
Old Dairy-Sun Top Pale ale 3.6ABV,rebadged as Summer Surf atThe Vineyards, Lamberhurst. On well chilled gravity dispense.Crisply citrussy, great on a hot day.
Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter 4%ABV at the same house.Unimpeacheable, but lacking top condition.
MY BOTW, and not for the first time, Sun Top. On the bottled front, a couple of "splits" of Dark Side of the Moo from Old Dairy went down a treat.
Too apathetic and lethargic to make it down to the village beer festival.

london calling
04-08-2013, 23:52
Rather good week for beers and the beer of the week was going to be one of these 3
late knights -morning glory
stonehouse -station bitter
longman -best bitter
all brown beers but I went down my local tonight and was blown away by
Buxton -spa a beer I have had before but tonight it was Awesome.

gillhalfpint
05-08-2013, 07:29
Just got back from Cornwall last Sunday, so had a crawl round Birmingham and an amazing CAMRA trip to a hop farm in Herefordshire with a run round a few pubs there and back of course.

Ramsgate Gadds No 7
Gloucester Dockside Dark
Great Heck Citra
Holdens Bush's Brew
Sunny Republic Sharks Head
Highland Pale Ale
Highland Duke IPA
Rock & Roll Telstar
Rock & Roll Pale Ale
Hopcraft Spanish Main
Hopcraft Statement of Intent IPA
Pixie Spring Tidy Bitter
Whitworth Blonde Elbow
Wye Valley Butty Bach
Weatheroak Light Oak
Exmoor Gold
Malvern Hills Black Pear
Hereford Celtic Gold
Brecon Twilight Beacons
Wye Valley Dorothy Goodbodys Summertime Ale
Butcombe Bitter

BOTW Malvern Hills Black Pear at the Bell Pensax

Thuck Phat
05-08-2013, 11:31
A small but high quality selection this week:
Brancaster Best, Oystercatcher, The Wreck
Woodfordes Nelsons Revenge
Oakham Bishops Farewell
Hop Back Summer Lightening

BOTW Brancaster Oystercatcher at 4.4% this reasonably pale and gently hoppy beer blitzed the 3 pint test on more than one occasion last week.

PaulOfHorsham
05-08-2013, 19:40
I've had a bottle of Kernel IPA (7%) since last time, so that's obviously the best beer this week, but that's not the title, is it?

Friday night had me in a Fuller's pub with a chance to sample the current special - Sticky Wicket. No description on the clip (just an ABV - 4.7%), so I'll call it as a 'New World Pale Ale' - slightly more amber than yellow if memory serves, but definitely hoppy in the modern style. If you tried their Wild River and thought "I see what you're trying, but it's not quite there", then this one is pretty much spot on - up there with London Porter as the best Fuller's beer I've had on cask. A final half before the train went down quick enough for me to steam up to the bar for another, which went down just as fast.

oldboots
06-08-2013, 08:31
Not a hugely interesting week:

Pennine Amber Necker
Pennine Natural Gold
Pennine Real Blonde
Wold Top Bitter
York Guzzler
Tetleys Cask
Rudgate Viking
Rudgate Jorvik Blonde
Copper Dragon Golden Pippin
Roosters White Rose
Flying Dog Wildeman (bottle but in a pub)
Holts Two Hoots
Collingham Artisan
Goose Eye Black Moor

The Golden Pippin was very nice on a hot day in a pub overlooking sunny Nidderdale but an unexpected BOTW Holts Two Hoots

aleandhearty
06-08-2013, 10:53
Friday night had me in a Fuller's pub with a chance to sample the current special - Sticky Wicket. No description on the clip (just an ABV - 4.7%), so I'll call it as a 'New World Pale Ale' - slightly more amber than yellow if memory serves, but definitely hoppy in the modern style. If you tried their Wild River and thought "I see what you're trying, but it's not quite there", then this one is pretty much spot on - up there with London Porter as the best Fuller's beer I've had on cask.

Bugger. This was on in the Fernandes Tap over the weekend, but I didn't get round to trying it. As you say, the pump clip wasn't very helpful, so I put it to the bottom of the list. If I'd known it was Wild River with attitude, I'd probably have gone straight to it. Hopefully, it'll be on again soon.

aleandhearty
06-08-2013, 11:09
Almost inevitably, a bit of a comedown this week, after last week's blow-out.Tried the following:

Shiny - Bank Vault.
Rat - White Rat.
Tigertops - Simply Simcoe.
Hopback - Entire Stout.
Fernandes - Simcoe.
Rat - Rattus Rattus.
Fernandes - Half Nelson.
Saltaire - New World Red.
Crouch Vale - Brewer's Gold.
Fernandes - Nelson IPA.
Burton - Bramble Stout.

Very little between the two Simcoes and the IPA. However, I'll give Wakefield's smallest micro a pat on the back and go for the Tigertops.

ROBCamra
08-08-2013, 15:14
Lots of interesting beer in Chorlton-Cum-Hardy again this week.

Nothing I tried there though beat Greenfield Silver Owl tried in The Baum.

I'm not usually a great fan of Greenfield beers but this one is very good. Light and thirst quenching on a warm day and at 4% you can have a few. :cheers: