PDA

View Full Version : Pub details on PuG

AlanH
27-07-2013, 08:42
How long has this feature been on PuG? Have I been asleep or not gone far enough down the page to see it?
How does it work? I left a few details on a few pubs, but when I went back into the pubs page, it had left my name there, but my choices had not been highlighted.
:confused::confused:

Mobyduck
27-07-2013, 09:24
How long has this feature been on PuG? Have I been asleep or not gone far enough down the page to see it?
How does it work? I left a few details on a few pubs, but when I went back into the pubs page, it had left my name there, but my choices had not been highlighted.
:confused::confused:
I noticed the feature about two weeks ago, and did the details on my local ,here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59679/) and the details are now set, although this didn't happen instantly.

AlanH
27-07-2013, 09:47
I noticed the feature about two weeks ago, and did the details on my local ,here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59679/) and the details are now set, although this didn't happen instantly.

Maybe I am missing something, but looking at your locals details, they have all got your name on, but it doesn't highlight 'Yes or No' against any of them (at least it doesn't on My computer, that is another possibility!).

EDIT: I re-booted. It WAS my computer!!:o
Highlighted answers now showing:)

Dave M
27-07-2013, 10:18
Hi Alan,

I think perhaps the interface is a bit confusing. The Yes/No buttons always just remain but it adds a yes or no before them.

I need to make that a little clearer and I need to do more work on the feature as a whole. I just thought it would be interesting to add that to pages and see if people were interested.

Another bit you may like to look at, if say for example you were trying to add details for all pubs in Llangollen you could use this page (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/townsf/llangollen/clwyd/) - it is a bit messy and also needs some work but does make it easier to do a batch of them.

AlanH
27-07-2013, 10:32
Hi Alan,

I think perhaps the interface is a bit confusing. The Yes/No buttons always just remain but it adds a yes or no before them.

I need to make that a little clearer and I need to do more work on the feature as a whole. I just thought it would be interesting to add that to pages and see if people were interested.

Another bit you may like to look at, if say for example you were trying to add details for all pubs in Llangollen you could use this page (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/townsf/llangollen/clwyd/) - it is a bit messy and also needs some work but does make it easier to do a batch of them.

Yes, that makes it much easier. I will now have to find how to access "this page" for other towns!:muppet:

Dave M
27-07-2013, 10:39
Yes, that makes it much easier. I will now have to find how to access "this page" for other towns!:muppet:

Again not something I've made very clear. When you are on a postal town page there is an additional link on the right hand side of the page under the big logout button that mysteriously says 'pub facilities', click that and you'll get the page you need. :)

Mobyduck
27-07-2013, 10:39
Hi Alan,

Hi Dave ,just read your reply to Alan, the yes no buttons no longer show on my example above,maybe clearer to see but if something changes I cant then change it?
A good addition to the page though.
p.s maybe a single change details button at the bottom once a pub has had details submitted?

Dave M
27-07-2013, 19:46
Hi Dave ,just read your reply to Alan, the yes no buttons no longer show on my example above,maybe clearer to see but if something changes I cant then change it?

I didn't actually change anything so not sure what you saw. Were you logged in? It does look different to people who aren't logged in or who don't have permission to make changes.

p.s maybe a single change details button at the bottom once a pub has had details submitted?
Yeah it needs something like that to make it tidier. I think the details heading just needs an 'edit' button next to it that will reveal all of the controls you can see right now - that will be a fair bit of work for me though as I don't know the technicalities of pulling that off. I am learning though! :)

Also in case anyone is interested in how much this feature is being used so far you can take a look here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/user-facilities/

Mobyduck
27-07-2013, 19:46
A good addition to the page though.
Well this is confusing, the buttons are back now, maybe because before I was on a different computer using a different browser? Now back on my own computer?

Dave M
27-07-2013, 19:48
Well this is confusing, the buttons are back now, maybe because before I was on a different computer using a different browser? Now back on my own computer?
Ahhh yes, so you were seeing it how the rest of the world sees it!

Mobyduck
27-07-2013, 19:53
Ahhh yes, so you were seeing it how the rest of the world sees it!
Scarey

Mobyduck
27-07-2013, 20:00
Also in case anyone is interested in how much this feature is being used so far you can take a look here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/user-facilities/
You should get out more Dave, I'm glad you don't though as nothing would be done. :D
Interesting stuff.:notworthy:

Aqualung
27-07-2013, 20:35
I have a question on this. should Spoons houses have the Beer Festival line set to Yes?
All of them have the two beer festivals every year. I don't look at them so much as festivals personally, more an alternate guest ale list for a short spell. Earlier this year nearly all of the London Spoons were involved at some point in a London brewer's festival, something that I hope they will repeat at the start of next year.

Mobyduck
27-07-2013, 20:40
I have a question on this. should Spoons houses have the Beer Festival line set to Yes?
All of them have the two beer festivals every year. I don't look at them so much as festivals personally, more an alternate guest ale list for a short spell. Earlier this year nearly all of the London Spoons were involved at some point in a London brewer's festival, something that I hope they will repeat at the start of next year.
Good point, I did add yes to the Fleet spoons (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59601/) on the basis they are called festivals but now you make me wonder.

Aqualung
27-07-2013, 20:56
Good point, I did add yes to the Fleet spoons (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59601/) on the basis they are called festivals but now you make me wonder.

My instinct says Yes, but if that is agreed then it would be easier to add it to the three existing defaults (Real Ale, Food and WiFi). Your local Spoons may well have had other festivals, but I'm guessing you don't visit often enough to know about it. The London Beer Festival at the start of the year was not very well publicised, in fact I missed the Sarf London stage as I didn't know about it! I only found out about the recent four pub N London compass point festival as I got a tweet from Redemption!

sheffield hatter
27-07-2013, 21:48

Surely a festival has got to involve more effort on a publican's part than just putting a couple more beers on? I'm thinking extra stillage, use of a different room, setting up in a yard or a marquee in the car park or garden.

Aqualung
27-07-2013, 23:01
Surely a festival has got to involve more effort on a publican's part than just putting a couple more beers on? I'm thinking extra stillage, use of a different room, setting up in a yard or a marquee in the car park or garden.

I take your point, but all of these options involve selling the beers on gravity with all the temperature and condition problems that entails. I stopped going to all but a few CAMRA beer festivals well over twenty years ago because the beer was either too warm or in poor condition. There was a discussion recently in another thread about the gravity problems in the Bree Louise near Euston.

I don't see a problem with any pub (not just Spoons) having a themed beer festival where they stock a different selection of beers for a week or whatever.

Farway
28-07-2013, 13:28
Hooray, thanks to Dave M I am now back and have quickly used the facility to update a few local pubs, now have a back log of photos & new pub visits to add

Dave M
29-07-2013, 16:03

I think it best to go with personal preference, I'm not about to start trying to define what is a beer festival - it is tricky enough defining a pub! ;)

As you will have gathered I automatically set all Spoons to have real ale, food and wifi. I'm not entirely sure that holds true perhaps for some of the airport ones but it is near enough. I just chose not to add beer fests but really don't mind if others want to tick it.

What I did have in mind for the beer festival tick box was to enable us to have a nice easy guide to pubs that might be holding some sort of event in the hope that it might help revive the beer festival section of the site. So for example I have now put up a pubs with beer festivals page (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pub-features/beer-festival/) that also gives an idea for some pubs as to what time of year they might have one.

sheffield hatter
29-07-2013, 18:10
I have now put up a pubs with beer festivals page (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pub-features/beer-festival/) that also gives an idea for some pubs as to what time of year they might have one.

Can the alphabetical order of the pubs be amended so that the definite article is ignored, as in the town or village pages? For example, Waggon & Horses is listed further down the page than The Waggon & Horses. If the latter were Waggon & Horses, The they would be next to each other.

Dave M
29-07-2013, 19:04
Yeah I have just removed 'The' from the start of names, I think it is all ok now. Hope not too many people saw it when I accidentally made it show every pub as simple being called The. :muppet:

PaulOfHorsham
29-07-2013, 19:06
... revive the beer festival section of the site....

Here you go, Dave, all you need is: (1) date (start/end); (2) link to pub's web page that advertises the event. Then you'd just need some way to highlight these (front page? a section for upcoming festivals in the Postal District summary?) To be honest, I gave up adding festivals because of all the typing I had to do when copying details from the local CAMRA mags.

Hope that helps :)

Aqualung
29-07-2013, 19:21
Here's another question. I believe all Spoons (apart from the aiport ones??) accept the 50p CAMRA tickets. Is this eligible to make the CAMRA Discount a Yes? Personally I would rather see it just applied to ones that do other discounts as well as the tickets.

sheffield hatter
29-07-2013, 19:25
Yeah I have just removed 'The' from the start of names, I think it is all ok now. Hope not too many people saw it when I accidentally made it show every pub as simple being called The. :muppet:

I hope you saved a screen shot - that would have been a sight to see!

Strongers
29-07-2013, 21:02
Do sausage rolls and pies from behind the bar count as hot food?

Aqualung
29-07-2013, 21:14

I would have thought the GBG definition would be useful here, "not snacks but substantial fare". What constitutes "substantial fare" is another matter. I remember years ago staying at the (then) Taylor's Cross Inn at Heptonstall and having Pie and Mushy Peas. That was substantial to me, but it was accompanied by copious quantities of Landlord.

Quinno
29-07-2013, 21:20

I'm saying 'yes' for the Nags Head based on its pies.

Mobyduck
29-07-2013, 21:22
Just a thought, maybe "accommodation available" would be a useful detail to add , not wanting to make the list too long though.

Aqualung
29-07-2013, 21:32

The GBG has the two semi-circles, are they Cow Pies?

Dave M
29-07-2013, 22:27

Yeah I think that is fair enough. The pies mean is a bit beyond simple bar snacks.

Just a thought, maybe "accommodation available" would be a useful detail to add, not wanting to make the list too long though.

Accommodation is a very good point, indeed one that didn't occur to me so have now added it to the list.

Dave M
29-07-2013, 22:29
Here's another question. I believe all Spoons (apart from the aiport ones??) accept the 50p CAMRA tickets. Is this eligible to make the CAMRA Discount a Yes? Personally I would rather see it just applied to ones that do other discounts as well as the tickets.

I'm hoping people will only tick it for places where you get a discount by just showing your CAMRA card. Some Spoons offer that without needing to use the vouchers, certainly the ones I added to the list the other day do anyway.

Mobyduck
01-08-2013, 19:18
I note the changes made on the pub page and think the edit button is very helpful ,I'm not to sure though what the phrase "No details yet" refers to between the yes/no button and the edit button ? As per my example here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59679/). Or am I just missing the obvious ,to which I have been prone to lately (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?14983-Double-entry) .:muppet:

Dave M
01-08-2013, 19:54
Don't worry, you just happen to be looking at it while I'm testing out a new feature and I admit it isn't that clear.

The new 'edit' button is for allowing you to put in some small additional details. So for example if there is a camra discount you might want to add '15p off per pint', if there is karaoke you might want to add 'Thursday evening', for real ale you might want to add '2 regular and 1 guest ale'. That is my thinking anyway.

The edit button will have no bearing on the Yes/No selection part but you have to have said yes or no before you can add a note. In theory anyway. It is a work in progress!! :)

AlanH
01-08-2013, 20:21
Don't worry, you just happen to be looking at it while I'm testing out a new feature and I admit it isn't that clear.

The new 'edit' button is for allowing you to put in some small additional details. So for example if there is a camra discount you might want to add '15p off per pint', if there is karaoke you might want to add 'Thursday evening', for real ale you might want to add '2 regular and 1 guest ale'. That is my thinking anyway.

The edit button will have no bearing on the Yes/No selection part but you have to have said yes or no before you can add a note. In theory anyway. It is a work in progress!! :)

As soon as I saw it, I thought "Oh dear, we are going to be VERY busy." Even Camra doesn't ask for details on EVERY icon:eek: Do we have to count the spaces in the car park and say what colour the pool balls are!:evilgrin:
We won't have time to get to many pubs.:(:(

Dave M
01-08-2013, 20:29
As soon as I saw it, I thought "Oh dear, we are going to be VERY busy." Even Camra doesn't ask for details on EVERY icon:eek: Do we have to count the spaces in the car park and say what colour the pool balls are!:evilgrin:
We won't have time to get to many pubs.:(:(
Do I need to make clear on the page that the additional details are very much optional?! :D

I figured there were going to be times when people wanted to clarify stuff beyond a simple yes or no. I think it will be really handy for some things like the CAMRA discount but will hardly be used for many of the others.

sheffield hatter
01-08-2013, 20:53
I figured there were going to be times when people wanted to clarify stuff beyond a simple yes or no. I think it will be really handy for some things like the CAMRA discount but will hardly be used for many of the others.

Good thought! I've been hesitating to put a Yes to real ale on some pubs where I know that it is only available sporadically, so this will help.

Quinno
01-08-2013, 23:42
As soon as I saw it, I thought "Oh dear, we are going to be VERY busy."(

It's an extra functionality that is at our disposal to make the site better if we choose to use it. No one is saying we have to! Sorry if I am overreacting (I may be misreading your post AlanH :))

This is a hobby site and Dave is allowing those of us who wish to engage to a deeper level the tools to do so. That's all. The nerds can prosper if they wish (eg me :D). You put in as much as you wish, nobody is being judged. Everyone's input is welcome; you choose your level of engagement.

Sermon over :p

AlanH
02-08-2013, 00:32
It's an extra functionality that is at our disposal to make the site better if we choose to use it. No one is saying we have to! Sorry if I am overreacting I may be misreading your post AlanH :))

Yes you are - but its my fault. I am breaking the golden rule of typing out a bit of banter after a few pints!! :drinkup::drinkup::nishelypished:
But then again - this is a pub and drinking site:lol: so it happens.

The truth is - I love it all. Well done Dave! :notworthy: Yes, it all goes to make it a better site.:cheers:

Quinno
02-08-2013, 08:05
Yes you are - but its my fault. I am breaking the golden rule of typing out a bit of banter after a few pints!! :drinkup::drinkup::nishelypished:
But then again - this is a pub and drinking site:lol: so it happens.

The truth is - I love it all. Well done Dave! :notworthy: Yes, it all goes to make it a better site.:cheers:

And I was doing likewise...oh dear! :o

gillhalfpint
02-08-2013, 08:15
Just found the yes/no section and will be popping into Birmingham to check out my top 5 or 6 pubs, so will see if I can fill in any gaps. Usually just concentrate on the beer so my observation level likely to go down as the day progresses. What would be useful would be the ability to tick these things on an app on your phone while in the pub. My Pubs Galore App just lists the pubs and the basic pub info, but I cannot enter anything on it myself.

AlanH
02-08-2013, 09:17
Dave, has the "save" method changed on the pub facilities?
The ones I added yesterday vanished and failed to save. I tried it both ways (on the pubs own page and on the "multi pub" page). Today I found that if I press "edit" then "save" in the pubs own page on each facility, the Yes or No is retained but not if I just press Yes or No as originally.
There does not seem to be a way of saving data in the multi pub page at the moment.

Is this just me or has anyone else had the same problem?

gillhalfpint
02-08-2013, 09:35
Dave, has the "save" method changed on the pub facilities?
The ones I added yesterday vanished and failed to save. I tried it both ways (on the pubs own page and on the "multi pub" page). Today I found that if I press "edit" then "save" in the pubs own page on each facility, the Yes or No is retained but not if I just press Yes or No as originally.
There does not seem to be a way of saving data in the multi pub page at the moment.

Is this just me or has anyone else had the same problem?

I had the same problem so clicked the yes or no again, then tried the edit button, and the save comes there with a box that means you can put something else in. I have done the Wellington in Birmingham and everything disappeared, so I have done again with the edit button. Things like hot food, I clicked no, and in the comment box put ok to bring your own.

My problem at the moment is I have to log in every time I want to use pubs galore ie every 5 minutes when I check the posts on here.

Dave M
02-08-2013, 09:36
Oh damnit! I'm sorry I may well have cocked something up yesterday. I will investigate it now. Apologies for that.

gillhalfpint
02-08-2013, 09:39
My Wellington entries all have yes on despite some being clicked no, and some being left as I wasn't sure of the answers. It is reading that the Wellington has accommodation and car park, and I entered no for them!!

gillhalfpint
02-08-2013, 09:44
I have gone back into Wellington, after I had to log in yet again - about 4 times in the last 10 minutes now. I have changed all the incorrect yes's to no's and clicked on edit and save on them all. Hoping that has worked or else the features will be totally wrong. Will go back and check again now, but have to go out soon.

Dave M
02-08-2013, 09:50
Arghhhh. Two huge bugs in my code! This is what happens when I go out for a few pints at lunchtime and then carry on working whilst a little bit tipsy! :muppet:

Thank you both for being so descriptive about the issues as it allowed me to find the problems very quickly. Hopefully it is now fixed, I am just testing it.

gillhalfpint
02-08-2013, 09:50
Just checked the Wellington again and it records that I have said yes to everything still. I can't be doing with this and I can't correct it. Have edited 3 times now and saved the right info, but it is still recording all the wrong info. Must go out now so cannot do anything myself to correct things. Sorry. Won't be in to sort anything out till this evening as I am doing a pub crawl in Birmingham.

gillhalfpint
02-08-2013, 09:54
Well done Dave --- all ok --- cheers. I'm off now!!

AlanH
02-08-2013, 11:04

I see this is now on again and the edit buttons now appear as the facility is used. I am being too impatient whilst you (Dave) are still perfecting and fine tuning the facility.
I'll go away and play with my building bricks and come back later.:D:D:D

Dave M
02-08-2013, 11:27
I am being too impatient whilst you (Dave) are still perfecting and fine tuning the facility.
I'm only doing so with the help of people using it though. If you hadn't pointed it out I wouldn't have realised I'd broken it. :notworthy:

I am just about done tinkering with it now, there is one more tool that I want to release then I need to get on with doing some actual admin on the site. There are a lot of corrections awaiting my attention!

Al 10000
02-08-2013, 13:34
I went in this pub http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/33984/in early July this year and had a good chat with the landlord who said "we dont sell enough beer to merit having any real ales on the bar and we dont even stock draught Guinness because of lack of sales"

I have now noticed that the pub is holding beer festivals,is this right,have things changed so quickly in a short time.

Dave M
02-08-2013, 13:54
That will be because they did hold a beer festival at some point in the past. Clearly I guess they don't any more! I really should've backdated some of my additions to the point where they were correct, something for me to look into I think.

It was a combined effort with the nearby George & Dragon http://www.thestar.co.uk/features/mexborough-beer-festival-1-853466

Dave M
05-08-2013, 18:20
Right, now onto that tool I said I wanted to release the other day and never got round to.

I've been thinking about the vast amount of information that we already have within reviews on the site and wondering how I can go about organising it.

So for example I could find every review that mentions 'real ale', the trouble is that I can't simply mark that pub as having real ale because I need context. They might have said that it doesn't have real ale, that they couldn't see any real ale or that it in fact does have it.

On that basis I have built a tool that presents me with a single review that mentions ale or ale related words, highlights those words for me and gives me all of the facility buttons to make it nice and easy to click yes or no to real ale and if I'm in the mood can click other options if I happen to spot a mention of them.

If anyone fancies having a go at using this you can find it here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/tools/check-reviews.php?pagefacid=101). When you are done with a review or want to move onto the next one just click the 'NEXT' button. If the review really doesn't tell us anything about real ale then press the 'Inconclusive' button in the bottom left.

Mobyduck
05-08-2013, 20:15
Right, now onto that tool I said I wanted to release the other day and never got round to.

I've been thinking about the vast amount of information that we already have within reviews on the site and wondering how I can go about organising it.

So for example I could find every review that mentions 'real ale', the trouble is that I can't simply mark that pub as having real ale because I need context. They might have said that it doesn't have real ale, that they couldn't see any real ale or that it in fact does have it.

On that basis I have built a tool that presents me with a single review that mentions ale or ale related words, highlights those words for me and gives me all of the facility buttons to make it nice and easy to click yes or no to real ale and if I'm in the mood can click other options if I happen to spot a mention of them.

If anyone fancies having a go at using this you can find it here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/tools/check-reviews.php?pagefacid=101). When you are done with a review or want to move onto the next one just click the 'NEXT' button. If the review really doesn't tell us anything about real ale then press the 'Inconclusive' button in the bottom left.
Hi Dave, a very useful and functional tool,I had a look and the only comment I would add is , when the random review came up, in this case
Strings by Blackthorn on 2013-03-27, It didn't state where Strings is located, I had to go to the main site and search for it and found it in Weston Super Mare. I realize this isn't the purpose of the tool, but from my point of view I like to know the location of the place I am studying.
But well done on putting this together.

sheffield hatter
05-08-2013, 21:02

Good stuff, Dave.

A couple of suggestions:

1) could we have the date of the review, please. I say this because it could well be that a pub which had a solitary real ale over a year ago has since given up on the idea, so I would suggest should be marked inconclusive rather than yes.

2) what about real cider?

Cheers

sheffield hatter
05-08-2013, 21:05
Good stuff, Dave.

A couple of suggestions:

1) could we have the date of the review, please. I say this because it could well be that a pub which had a solitary real ale over a year ago has since given up on the idea, so I would suggest should be marked inconclusive rather than yes.

Sorry, just seen the date on the top line. Used to seeing it at the bottom of the review...

Dave M
05-08-2013, 21:10

I wouldn't worry too much about clicking yes, it will use the date of the review as the date it shows on the page. As if the reviewer had clicked it themselves at the time.

sheffield hatter
05-08-2013, 21:15
I wouldn't worry too much about clicking yes, it will use the date of the review as the date it shows on the page. As if the reviewer had clicked it themselves at the time.

Even better!

Also, I like the way the highlighted word beer makes it easy to spot the occasional beer garden, too.

Trying not to get addicted to this. If I'm still here at 23.00 can you force me out of the site?

sheffield hatter
05-08-2013, 21:56
Clumsy mouse-finger alert!

Real ale button is three from the bottom, but when there's a really long review, the list gets stretched, with Wi-Fi migrating down the screen in line with the bottom of the review. This leaves the Quiz night button as third from the (apparent) bottom of the list. Unfortunately, once clicked there's no cancelling it. :muppet:

Note to self: Careful, now.

Dave M
05-08-2013, 22:17
Hi Dave, a very useful and functional tool,I had a look and the only comment I would add is , when the random review came up, in this case
Strings by Blackthorn on 2013-03-27, It didn't state where Strings is located, I had to go to the main site and search for it and found it in Weston Super Mare. I realize this isn't the purpose of the tool, but from my point of view I like to know the location of the place I am studying.
But well done on putting this together.

Yeah that sounds reasonable, I will look into adding the address and a link to the pub page.

2) what about real cider?

I can certainly add it, do you think there are that many people really interested in cider? I have a slightly skewed view on it in this part of the world but my impression is that it isn't very popular elsewhere.

Even better!

Also, I like the way the highlighted word beer makes it easy to spot the occasional beer garden, too.

I can of course make the interface revolve around beer gardens (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/tools/check-reviews.php?pagefacid=114) or camra discounts (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/tools/check-reviews.php?pagefacid=102) or whatever as well. I just figured that real ale was a good starting point as it is what most people care about.

sheffield hatter
06-08-2013, 07:15
...do you think there are that many people really interested in cider? I have a slightly skewed view on it in this part of the world but my impression is that it isn't very popular elsewhere.

I'd say it's increasing in popularity and availability, and is often mentioned in reviews, which is why I raised it. One difficulty is that it is often served from a polypin or small barrel behind the bar rather than from a hand pump, but it's still easily distinguished from keg.

Mobyduck
06-08-2013, 07:26
I can certainly add it, do you think there are that many people really interested in cider? I have a slightly skewed view on it in this part of the world but my impression is that it isn't very popular elsewhere.
I'm not sure how big a thing real Cider is in the greater scheme of things, it certainly has its advocates, I like it ,especially a good Perry but tend to steer clear of to much for sanity's sake. Obviously Real Ale is the main thrust but I feel that adding real Cider/Perry would enhance the pubs profile and not least, also that of the Pubs Galore database.

hondo
06-08-2013, 11:13

Quinno
06-08-2013, 12:15
Funny how I mainly seem to be blitzing reviews from Mr Hatter and Strongers!

And that people have their stock phrases that you notice after a while :)

Quinno
06-08-2013, 12:22
I'd say it's increasing in popularity and availability, and is often mentioned in reviews, which is why I raised it. One difficulty is that it is often served from a polypin or small barrel behind the bar rather than from a hand pump, but it's still easily distinguished from keg.

For anyone wishing to grapple with the apple, please bear the following in mind:

Below is a list of the most common ciders that CAMRA does not recognise as being real.

Please note that this is not an exhaustive list.

The most common reasons a cider or perry is not considered to be real are that it is carbonated, pasteurised, micro-filtered, or concentrate juice has been used.

The most common ciders confused for being real are:

Addlestones
Bulmers Traditional
Kingstone Press (Aston Manor)
La Cantina (Saxon)
Rattler
Saxon
Taunton Traditional
Thatchers Gold
Westons Ice
Westons in bottles
'any cider with any non apple/pear fruit (for flavouring) added'
'any cider with honey, herbs or spices added'

http://www.camra.org.uk/nonrealcider

Aqualung
06-08-2013, 13:38
'any cider with any non apple/pear fruit (for flavouring) added'
'any cider with honey, herbs or spices added'

I can't agree with this at all!! Two of the recent Spoons ciders had added fruit (Strawberries and Blackberries respectively) and they were two of the best ones. Nobody complains about beer that has fruit, honey or herbs in (especially in Belgium) so why should it be a problem for cider to do the same? Maybe they are concerned about the global abominations adding bottles of squash to make a mass produced fruit cider.

Al 10000
06-08-2013, 16:36

Hi Dave,

Yet another great tool you have added to the site for us to use.

Would it be possible to put all of these new additions to the site,IE Pubs Photographed Stats,Pubs Reviewed Stats,plus the latest real ale tool onto one sticky thread so that we dont loose these over the years.
This is just a thought,but it would be nice to see all of them on one thread that does'nt keep going down the list.

Quinno
06-08-2013, 16:57
I can't agree with this at all!!

It's fair to say that he cider fringe of CAMRA are having some internal issues with the description as is - perhaps even heading towards a schism eventually. But like it or not, 'real' cider is pretty much what CAMRA says it is. They work along a similar idea to Papal infallibility :p

Mobyduck
06-08-2013, 18:15
Hi Dave,

Yet another great tool you have added to the site for us to use.

Would it be possible to put all of these new additions to the site,IE Pubs Photographed Stats,Pubs Reviewed Stats,plus the latest real ale tool onto one sticky thread so that we dont loose these over the years.
This is just a thought,but it would be nice to see all of them on one thread that does'nt keep going down the list.
This is a good idea, at the moment I have copied and pasted them in an e-mail to myself to save keep going back to find them.

Blackthorn
06-08-2013, 21:15

Errr, yes. It's about the only thing I drink! Although evidently not the real stuff according to Camra, since Thatcher's Gold is one of my favourites! And I see on Quinno's link they also list Ashton Press and Stowford Press. I think I will have to resign my membership!

A good tool though Dave. I'm sure I'll spend far too much time on here reading random reviews.

sheffield hatter
06-08-2013, 21:16
This is a good idea, at the moment I have copied and pasted them in an e-mail to myself to save keep going back to find them.

I've added them to my favourites in my internet browser. But Al's suggestion is a good one for ease of reference for anyone who hasn't picked up on this stuff yet.

sheffield hatter
06-08-2013, 21:19
Funny how I mainly seem to be blitzing reviews from Mr Hatter and Strongers!

And that people have their stock phrases that you notice after a while :)

Yes, I've been seeing quite a lot by Strongers, but then he is very prolific.

I try to make each review an individual effort, but some phrases do seem to repeat themselves as if my fingers are typing without too much involvement of the brain.

Dave M
06-08-2013, 21:31
I've added them to my favourites in my internet browser. But Al's suggestion is a good one for ease of reference for anyone who hasn't picked up on this stuff yet.

Yes Al is quite right. I think what I actually need to do is get the links somewhere on the main site. Will look into that in the next couple of days.

AlanH
07-08-2013, 01:45

In spite of the review date being used, I have decided not to tick anything older than 2011. If the beer has not been mentioned for over three years, I find it hard to trust.
If it mentions just one ale amongst all the smooth and lager, I am a bit suspect of anything over a year old.

Quinno
07-08-2013, 14:10
Ignore

Dave M
07-08-2013, 14:40
Ignore
Just to let you know that it wasn't entirely your imagination that it wasn't working, there were a couple of terms missing from my word filter which I just fixed.

So the tool will show any review containing any of the following words:- ale, beer, camra, gbg, handpump, handpull
My highlighter wasn't showing anything if there was 'hand pump' or 'hand pull' with spaces.

Quinno
07-08-2013, 14:55
Just to let you know that it wasn't entirely your imagination that it wasn't working, there were a couple of terms missing from my word filter which I just fixed.

So the tool will show any review containing any of the following words:- ale, beer, camra, gbg, handpump, handpull
My highlighter wasn't showing anything if there was 'hand pump' or 'hand pull' with spaces.

Brilliant, thanks Dave!

One plus point of being off sick is that I can trudge through some mundane tasks :D

PaulOfHorsham
07-08-2013, 19:02
One plus point of being off sick is that I can trudge through some mundane tasks :D

Thought that was the point of going to work? There are few things more mundane... :(

Quinno
07-08-2013, 19:06
Thought that was the point of going to work? There are few things more mundane... :(

Difference here is that:

1. I am in easy reach of ill persons facilities
2. Am unlikely to mess up anything that actually results in monetary loss :)

AlanH
07-08-2013, 20:55

I had to laugh, when in one of the reviews, the word anticipation highlighted the IPA :p

Dave M
07-08-2013, 22:49
I had to laugh, when in one of the reviews, the word anticipation highlighted the IPA :p

Ah yes, I have seen that happen but hadn't got round to fixing it. :)

Al 10000
08-08-2013, 14:19
Thanks Dave, for putting all of your new stats on a sticky thread,this makes it a lot easier to see each of them.

Cheers Alan

NickDavies
08-08-2013, 22:13
I notice this pub (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/36021/) offers BT Sport rather than Sky , and I'm sure the number will grow quite quickly- I wonder if it's worth making the distinction or listing as Sky/BT sport?

Mobyduck
08-08-2013, 22:22
I notice this pub (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/36021/) offers BT Sport rather than Sky , and I'm sure the number will grow quite quickly- I wonder if it's worth making the distinction or listing as Sky/BT sport?
A good point, I have omitted a few sky sports ticks because it wasn't clear it was sky sports as opposed to some other provider.

Aqualung
08-08-2013, 23:12

Oh dear, isn't the quality and selection of beer more important? My favourite local pub is a no go area for me when it is taken over by the sub-moronic, loud and boring clowns that invade it when they are stupid enough to think that they are supporting "their team" by drinking a single pint of wife beater and screaming at a screen for 90 minutes.

Quinno
08-08-2013, 23:29
Oh dear, isn't the quality and selection of beer more important? My favourite local pub is a no go area for me when it is taken over by the sub-moronic, loud and boring clowns that invade it when they are stupid enough to think that they are supporting "their team" by drinking a single pint of wife beater and screaming at a screen for 90 minutes.

Hence a handy indicator on PuG for you!

AlanH
09-08-2013, 08:48
Dave, I have "clicked" into the wrong facility on occasions, once on the wrong pub! :muppet:
Is it possible to have a way to "un-click". I have had to decide whether to leave a Yes or No on facilities that I have no info on. :o

Quinno
09-08-2013, 11:41
Dave, I have "clicked" into the wrong facility on occasions, once on the wrong pub! :muppet:
Is it possible to have a way to "un-click". I have had to decide whether to leave a Yes on No on facilities that I have no info on. :o

Good point, I may have accidentally clicked real cider rather than real ale once or twice...

Aqualung
09-08-2013, 16:51
Is it possible to have a way to "un-click". I have had to decide whether to leave a Yes or No on facilities that I have no info on. :o

I have definitely done this several times! I once started doing what I thought was the Tollgate in N8 only to discover to my horror that I was looking at the Wellington which I didn't even visit, so I had to use guesswork.

I'm also having trouble with Real Cider as some Spoons don't do it all the time. For example the Paper Moon in Dartford didn't have any cider yesterday, but it was already set to Yes. I was reluctant to change it, in fact I won't change anyone else's settings unless it is a place I know really well and am 100% certain.

Dave M
09-08-2013, 17:04
Ok if you make a mistake you can now go to the pub page and there is a set to unknown option for you there.

AlanH
09-08-2013, 18:45
Ok if you make a mistake you can now go to the pub page and there is a set to unknown option for you there.

Thank you Dave. I've used it already:muppet:, keying data into the wrong Admiral Benbow. 'mussn't get careless just because I can alter it!

NickDavies
09-08-2013, 20:07
I have definitely done this several times! I once started doing what I thought was the Tollgate in N8 only to discover to my horror that I was looking at the Wellington which I didn't even visit, so I had to use guesswork.

I'm also having trouble with Real Cider as some Spoons don't do it all the time. For example the Paper Moon in Dartford didn't have any cider yesterday, but it was already set to Yes. I was reluctant to change it, in fact I won't change anyone else's settings unless it is a place I know really well and am 100% certain.

I would have thought that if somewhere sells cider sometimes it's fair enough to qualify it with "sometimes"

Aqualung
09-08-2013, 22:10
I would have thought that if somewhere sells cider sometimes it's fair enough to qualify it with "sometimes"

Good batting Thinkman, maybe I will risk treading on Roger B's toes and qualify it in that way.

Mobyduck
10-08-2013, 10:30
Dave,another possible addition to the growing list if theres room, wheelchair/disabled access, would obviously be a great help to some.

gillhalfpint
10-08-2013, 17:30
More use is whether loos are upstairs/downstairs. Ray gets into pubs but sometimes has to plan which pub he can use the loo in!

Farway
11-08-2013, 13:38
Yes, the disabled, stairs to loo etc would be good option, I am reasonably agile, but some pubs loos are a nightmare up / down a spiral staircase for instance

Mobyduck
11-08-2013, 18:31
More use is whether loos are upstairs/downstairs. Ray gets into pubs but sometimes has to plan which pub he can use the loo in!

Yes, the disabled, stairs to loo etc would be good option, I am reasonably agile, but some pubs loos are a nightmare up / down a spiral staircase for instance
I maybe being a bit naive here but if the pub had taken the option to make the pub disabled accessible they would surely done the same for the loo's.One thing in my experience Wetherspoons are good at.

gillhalfpint
11-08-2013, 18:37
Agree Wetherspoon's are great for disabled loos. There are however a lot of pubs with no steps at the doors so have disabled access for wheelchairs, but don't have loos on the ground floor. One London pub told Ray he would have to use the ladies!!

Mobyduck
11-08-2013, 18:40
Agree Wetherspoon's are great for disabled loos. There are however a lot of pubs with no steps at the doors so have disabled access for wheelchairs, but don't have loos on the ground floor. One London pub told Ray he would have to use the ladies!!
Needs must :evilgrin:

sheffield hatter
11-08-2013, 20:47
I've just been adding a few facilities directly onto pubs after using the review check system last week. It's a bit disconcerting because the facilities are listed in a different order on the pub and town pages - they're in alphabetical order in the review checking section. Is it possible/desirable to have the lists presented in the same fashion in all three places?

hondo
12-08-2013, 10:53
well done everybody camra discount cleared

Check reviews for CAMRA Discount
"We seem to be all out of reviews of this type that need checking right now. Well done, time for a pint?!There are 0 more reviews to check for CAMRA Discount" :bemerry:

just under 18000 reviews mentioning real ale to go :ninja:

Farway
12-08-2013, 14:21
How about a readily / easy accessible by public transport?

OK, no problems in cities, but for us out here in suburbs, no buses & no trains. the only option is car, bike, taxi, horse or walk

NickDavies
12-08-2013, 14:48

OK, no problems in cities, but for us out here in suburbs, no buses & no trains. the only option is car, bike, taxi, horse or walk

That's as subjective as you like! For some a forty minute trudge across ploughed fields from the once-a-week bus stop is considered perfectly reasonable. For others anywhere more the five minutes from a tube station, like most of South London is deemed completely impossible without a native guide.

PaulOfHorsham
12-08-2013, 17:20

There is a "Local Transport" link towards the top of some pages. I've never really investigated, but it looks fairly comprehensive. See what you think:
Stanley Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53630/), Portslade (you may not know this one, but it's urban, so plenty of transport)
The Hampshire Hog (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14100/), Clanfield (possibly more your area)

Investigating further, there does seem to be a lot of pubs without this data - they seem to be rural, so maybe there's a geographical parameter that Dave has set.

Dave M
12-08-2013, 19:02
I've just been adding a few facilities directly onto pubs after using the review check system last week. It's a bit disconcerting because the facilities are listed in a different order on the pub and town pages - they're in alphabetical order in the review checking section. Is it possible/desirable to have the lists presented in the same fashion in all three places?
Ah yes, sorry about creating that confusion. The way they are grouped on the town pages was some early thinking of mine where I was trying to put similar types of thing together. That grouping is replicated on the pub page just because I was doing the two things at the same time. Then when it came to the review checking tool for some I found it easier to have it alphabetical.

I think I should probably make the pub page list alphabetical too really. Any thoughts?

Dave M
12-08-2013, 19:04
Investigating further, there does seem to be a lot of pubs without this data - they seem to be rural, so maybe there's a geographical parameter that Dave has set.
Yeah as you have guessed if there is no public transport stop (we have a list of all the bus, train, tram, tube, boat and probably other type of stop) within a certain distance then nothing will show up. I'm not entirely sure what that distance is however. :muppet:

Mobyduck
12-08-2013, 20:05
I think I should probably make the pub page list alphabetical too really. Any thoughts?
Agreed.

sheffield hatter
12-08-2013, 21:22

There needs to be consistency and also some sort of system. As the present pub/town list is fairly random, or at least not obviously systematic, the alphabetical list is probably the best option.

Farway
13-08-2013, 12:52
There is a "Local Transport" link towards the top of some pages. I've never really investigated, but it looks fairly comprehensive. See what you think:
Stanley Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53630/), Portslade (you may not know this one, but it's urban, so plenty of transport)
The Hampshire Hog (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14100/), Clanfield (possibly more your area)

Yes I have seen the local transport link, but it is way out of date, and Dave, some time back, said it is not going to be fixed, hence adding local public transport

For instance from the Hog's Lodge example you gave, there is no Sunday service nearby, at all, by any bus company

As for The Bat & Ball (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14085/) plus The Farmer Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59855/) and The Bird In Hand (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14086/) the bus routes closed years ago, but PuG still shows buses as going there, and all would involve a long walk along country roads, without a pavement

gillhalfpint
14-08-2013, 08:41
I think public transport is too variable year by year, and sometimes seasonal to have a useful spot for it. I sometimes put the bus I have used on my review so that info is dated with the review as correct at that time. Our few weeks in Cornwall getting around pubs by public transport was so different from doing it last year, so having that info as a feature on a site could be outdated soon after it gets entered. A bit like pub opening times!!!

Strongers
14-08-2013, 11:44
Can we have a yes or no selection for Bogan Bingo? :D

Quinno
14-08-2013, 17:36
Can we have a yes or no selection for Bogan Bingo? :D

I'd forgotten about him! Never saw anything about it afterwards but seems to be going on still: https://www.facebook.com/boganbingouk

NickDavies
14-08-2013, 18:52
I'd forgotten about him! Never saw anything about it afterwards but seems to be going on still: https://www.facebook.com/boganbingouk

That's not the half of it...

http://www.boganbingo.com/pages/profiles/index.html - featuring such luminaries as

Josh ‘the Butcher’ Futcher.

Named after what he can do to a mans relationship if he turns his back during a show.
He's your man for hens nights ladies if you don't want the wedding to go ahead!

Strongers
19-08-2013, 19:32
What about pubs that allow children?

Lady Grey
22-08-2013, 10:02
Could you include wheelchair access on your list?

Farway
22-08-2013, 13:25

I think it was already asked for, I know some, including you, do like this info, so where possible I try & include it in my reviews

Lady Grey
22-08-2013, 14:36
It would be a great benefit to be armed with this information. Well done for mentioning this in your reviews .

Mobyduck
22-08-2013, 17:51

I think it was already asked for, I know some, including you, do like this info, so where possible I try & include it in my reviews

It would be a great benefit to be armed with this information. Well done for mentioning this in your reviews .
I mentioned it here (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?14946-Pub-details-on-PuG/page10#94). It doesn't affect me personally but think it would be very useful to those it does.

AlanH
24-08-2013, 01:12

But I you add any comment and press "save", it changes to the present date.

Dave M
24-08-2013, 10:20
But I you add any comment and press "save", it changes to the present date.

Where are you adding those comments? If you do it from the pub page then it will change to the present date but if you do it whilst using the check reviews tool it should use the review date.

AlanH
24-08-2013, 10:40
Where are you adding those comments? If you do it from the pub page then it will change to the present date but if you do it whilst using the check reviews tool it should use the review date.

Yes, I changed it on the pub page. If its an old review I tend to use the link to look for a newer one. I have found quite a large number have changed their "Real" status over time. Mostly for the better. :)

Strongers
26-08-2013, 14:44
What is the etiquette for updating pub details?
If I visit a pub that has real ale and find that someone else marked it as having real ale a year ago should I confirm this to update the date? Or will this be seen as overwriting another contributor’s work?

Farway
26-08-2013, 15:52
If I visit a pub that has real ale and find that someone else marked it as having real ale a year ago should I confirm this to update the date? Or will this be seen as overwriting another contributor’s work?

I don't think one is established yet, and I only realised last week that my checking the, for instance, car park, overrode previous submisssion with my name, so my apologies to any one I may have, very inadvertently, updated with my name in place of theirs

For the future I will use the Edit button, and perhaps either confirm still sells real ale, or if no longer available, click no and add edit, no longer sold. Guess same would apply to most entries, change or add edit with date

sheffield hatter
26-08-2013, 18:34

I don't think it will benefit the site if we start worrying about this. The more up to date the information is, the more useful the site will become and the more users it should attract.

Strongers
26-08-2013, 18:43
I don't think it will benefit the site if we start worrying about this. The more up to date the information is, the more useful the site will become and the more users it should attract.

I totally agree with you.

I was only really mentioning it to make sure everyone is on the same page and to be sure that there are no misunderstandings.

Bucking Fastard
26-08-2013, 21:25
The more up to date the information is, the more useful the site will become and the more users it should attract.

Agreed the most up to date the better ,certainly not bothered if my out of date contribution is overwritten.

Rex_Rattus
26-08-2013, 21:26
I've no problem if someone visits a pub after me, and ticks the "yes" button thus overwriting my date (and name) with a current one. I've already done it to other people, and it never occurred to me that anyone else would mind. The more current the information the better it is.

gillhalfpint
26-08-2013, 21:51
I have just had a look from my Nottingham visit last week, and feel I must make a lot of notes if I want to be part of this as I cannot remember which pubs had pool, darts, ads for music etc. If I noticed kids or dogs I could enter them, and the beer gardens but feel I have to leave most things out rather than put wrong information. It is a useful tool I agree, and also think later people visiting could override the existing entries to keep info up to date. Wish my memory was better or I could remember to note more than the beers I had.

Wittenden
26-08-2013, 22:12
God this is complicated.

Aqualung
26-08-2013, 22:14
Wish my memory was better or I could remember to note more than the beers I had.

Sometimes I have trouble with that!!

Given that the vast majority of pubs I visit are Spoons this feature is a lot easier for me, as apart from the odd dart board and quiz night they are all the same. In a non-Spoons I can only go by what I see, and as a result some things are overlooked. I certainly don't intend to carry out GBG style CAMRA inquisitions with the Tenant/Manager/Owner.

If someone corrects one of my entries then I welcome it.

Aqualung
26-08-2013, 22:20
God this is complicated.

I understand that sentiment but you do have the option to completely ignore it or just tick Real Ale Available (the most important one). Apart from an aberration with a Harvester I haven't been to a fizz pub since I gave up playing darts.

sheffield hatter
03-09-2013, 18:39
Just a thought:

I've added to the "additional brief notes" field a couple of times, and found that if the note is longer than the width of the column, another line is added. This is expected. What is not expected is that an extra line also gets added to every other pub facility on the page! Is this just my browser, or is it built in? And can it be fixed? (See example here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32051/).)

ROBCamra
03-09-2013, 19:02
Just a thought:

I've added to the "additional brief notes" field a couple of times, and found that if the note is longer than the width of the column, another line is added. This is expected. What is not expected is that an extra line also gets added to every other pub facility on the page! Is this just my browser, or is it built in? And can it be fixed? (See example here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32051/).)

Doesn't happen on my browser. Page looks fine to me.

Aqualung
03-09-2013, 19:10
Just a thought:

The example you quoted looks OK to me, but I did notice this somewhere else. I would think it would be tricky to implement without the entries looking a mess. The "Set To Unknown" button has been coded to appear in the same place on every line.

Do you know what your screen resolution is?

oldboots
03-09-2013, 19:13
All the facilities have a single line on this machine, Windows 7, using Firefox, Chrome and even Internet Explorer. One for Dave? Let him know your OS and browser details.

sheffield hatter
03-09-2013, 19:26
Do you know what your screen resolution is?

It was 1024 x 768, but I've changed it to 1152 x 864 and the page has reverted to normal. Makes my screen look a bit weird, but I dare say I'll get used to it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Aqualung
03-09-2013, 19:51
It was 1024 x 768, but I've changed it to 1152 x 864 and the page has reverted to normal. Makes my screen look a bit weird, but I dare say I'll get used to it. Thanks for the suggestion.

My resolution is 1024 x 768 and it looks OK to me. I use IE9. The obvious solution is to make the comments brief, I'm assuming it's the dog friendly one that is causing the grief, but it doesn't seem that verbose to me.

Lady Grey
05-09-2013, 12:46
Glad to see that wheelchair access has been added to the list.