PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 14th July 2013)

ROBCamra
15-07-2013, 10:16
aleandhearty: Jarrow Rivet Catcher
Aqualung: Brodie's Five Points Red Rye
Mobyduck: Sherfield Village Black Hoppy Bitter
hondo: Isle of Arran Blonde
Bucking Fastard: Sherfield Village Black Hoppy Bitter
oldboots: Oakham Endless Summer
Real Ale Ray: Wild Weather Stormbringer
Thuck Phat: Vale Gravitas
Oggwyn Trench: Salopian Darwins Origin
ROBCamra: Kelham Island Sweet Home Alabama

aleandhearty
15-07-2013, 11:41
Another quiet week from a variety point of view, but if BOTW was based on volume alone then London Pride would be the winner this week. However, it was pretty low in the excitement stakes. Tried this week:

Ilkley - Mary Jane.
Ossett - Yorkshire Blonde.
Otter - Amber.
Jarrow - Rivet Catcher.
Growler - Gladness.
Fullers - London Pride.

Head and shoulders above the rest was the Jarrow Rivet Catcher, a smooth but tasty golden ale. Perfect for the hot weather.

Aqualung
15-07-2013, 12:18
Despite a mid-week aberration onto the Spoons Cider there were some good ones this week:-

Dark Star Partridge Best 4.0%
Greene King Leg Before Wicket 4.1%
Five Points Pale Ale 4.4%
Brentwood Summer Virgin 4.5%
Dark Star American Pale Ale 4.7%
Williams Brothers Seven Giraffes 5.1%
Five Points Red Rye 5.5%
Siren Soundwave IPA 5.6%
London Fields Shoreditch Triangle 6.0%
Brodie's Oyster Tea Stout (Keykeg) 7.0%
Brodie's Big Mofo Stout (Keykeg) 10.5%

The contenders are the two Brodie's, The Siren Soundwave, The Shoreditch Triangle and the Five Points Red Rye. I'll hand it to the Five Points Red Rye at a wopping £4.00 in the Crooked Billet in E5.
This new brewery seem to be keeping up with Redemption, London Fields and ELB.

BOTW Five Points Red Rye

Mobyduck
15-07-2013, 12:30
A good week boosted by the Reading trip on Saturday,
Darkstar Hophead
Darkstar American pale Ale
Triple fff Moondance
Triple fff Altons Pride
Triple fff out of the ashes
Fullers London Pride
Butcombe Great Grey Owl
Blindmans Golden Spring
West Berkshire Coronation Gold
Cairngorn Caille
Breakspears Gold
Wild Weather Stormbringer
Sherfield Village Black Hoppy Bitter
Sharps Cornish Coaster
Binghams Vanilla Stout
Hopback G.F.B.
Hopback Cropcircle
Zero Degrees Pale Ale
Moorhouse Vanilla Cream Ale
Stonehenge Eye opener

My BOTW which took me by surprise as I hadn't previously found there beers to be in good form ,is Sherfield Village - Black Hoppy Bitter an outstanding flavorsome drink tried in the Nags Head (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1691/).

The above list was made possible with thanks to Soup Dragon and Bucking Fastard for their help via replys and reading their reviews and made possible by their more studious approach to drinking and therefore giving my memory a good old jog.:drinkup:=:nishelypished:=:confused:

A couple of last minute additions to the list due to semi total recall prompted by Quinno and should be regarded as educated guesses at best,
vale Metroland in the Blagrave Arms
Gales Seafarers in the Corn Stores both in Reading
thats what I reckon I would have had if I could remember?

hondo
15-07-2013, 13:55
Isle of Arran brewery - blonde

Bucking Fastard
15-07-2013, 14:59
I really pushed the boat out in Reading and am only now beginning to feel human again.

Windsor and Eton - Knights of the Garter
Blindman's - Golden Spring
Upham - Punter
Red Squirrel -Hopfest
Loddon - Cadogan Gold
Sherfield Village -Black Hoppy Bitter
Sunny Republic -Dolphin Amber
Bingham -Vanilla Stout
Sadlers -Red House
Hopback -Crop Circle
Zero Degrees -Pale Ale
Moorhouse -Vanilla Cream Ale
Stonehenge -Eye Opener
Vale -Metroland

I'm with Moby on the choice for BOTW in Sherfield Village Black Hoppy Bitter served in the pub of the crawl,Nags Head.I also like the fact that the brewer resisted the temptation to call it a Black IPA and made a very sensible naming decision.It was excellent and one of the best so far this year.

oldboots
15-07-2013, 16:46
A very long list thanks to Saturday's marathon, I think a visit to the Gateway occurred on Saturday night on the way back to the Nags but unsurprisingly my notes don't make sense :confused:

Harrogate Tewit Well Ale
Crouch Vale Yakima Gold
Roosters Stars & Stripes
Old Mill Traditional Bitter
T Taylors Boltmaker
Adnams Bitter
Rudgate Viking
Daleside Old Leg Over
Copper Dragon Golden Pippin
Oakham Endless Summer
Loddon Oarsome
Kronenberg 1664
Fullers London Pride
Wells & Young Bombadier
Three Castles Barbury Castle
Upham Punter
Cairngorm Callie
Loddon Cadogan
Butts Organic Vester
Hopback Calypso
Thwaites Little Bewdy
Sadlers Red House
Hopback GFB
Zero Degrees Pale Ale?
whatever I had in the Alehouse
Stonehenge Eye Opener
Vale Metroland
Red Squirrel Hopfest
Moles Barley Mow

BOTW is Oakham Endless Summer had in the Nags on Friday night but all gone by Saturday lunchtime :)

Mobyduck
15-07-2013, 18:09
A very long list thanks to Saturday's marathon, I think a visit to the Gateway occurred on Saturday night .
Thank god for that, I remembered finally on Monday morning I did go there, was that before or after the Oakford Social Club, :confused:.
Just one nagging doubt left, not really the right thread but while I'm here , did any of us , me included go into the Corn Stores (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61563/),not sure but something is nagging away :confused:

oldboots
15-07-2013, 18:29
Thank god for that, I remembered finally on Monday morning I did go there, was that before or after the Oakford Social Club, :confused:.
Just one nagging doubt left, not really the right thread but while I'm here , did any of us , me included go into the Corn Stores (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61563/),not sure but something is nagging away :confused:

We went past the Corn Stores four times at least, the last time was between the Oakford and the Blagrave, the Gateway would have been visited after the Blagrave on the way to the Nags Head (my third visit in two days). It was dark when I left the Nags Head.

I don't recall anyone going in the Corn Stores but thinking of the number of brain cells I lost on Saturday that's no guide.

Quinno
15-07-2013, 18:42
We went past the Corn Stores four times at least, the last time was between the Oakford and the Blagrave, the Gateway would have been visited after the Blagrave on the way to the Nags Head (my third visit in two days). It was dark when I left the Nags Head.

I don't recall anyone going in the Corn Stores but thinking of the number of brain cells I lost on Saturday that's no guide.

LOL you lot are terrible!

Order of play after Alehouse, I recall it as - Oakford, Corn Stores, Blagrave (Strongers went after the complimentary olives and peanuts!), Gateway - you'd all have had a London Pride there, unless Guinness came out (Moby?). Blagrave's beer was Vale Metroland and Andwell (Gold, I think). Beer in Corn Stores was Seafarers, Pride and ESB.

Anyone else need a memory jog? :D

Remember the bird at the Oakford in the tight white (semi-see through as well) dress..? Highlight of my crawl!

Mobyduck
15-07-2013, 18:45

Order of play after Alehouse - Oakford, Corn Stores, Blagrave (Strongers went after the complimentary olives and peanuts!), Gateway - you'd all have had a London Pride there, unless Guiness came out (Moby?). Blagrave's beer was Vale Metroland and Andwell (Gold, I think). Beer in Corns Stores was Seafarers, Pride and ESB.

Remember the bird in the tight white (semi-see through as well) dress. at the Oakford..?
The Blagrave? OMG.I think that makes it 14 pubs on the day:confused:

Quinno
15-07-2013, 18:47
The Blagrave? OMG.

Yep, with two white anti pasti thingies filled with salted, roasted peanuts and green olives. Very friendly barmaid too if I recall.

Mobyduck
15-07-2013, 18:56
Yep, with two white anti pasti thingies filled with salted, roasted peanuts and green olives. Very friendly barmaid too if I recall.
Your powers of recall are obviously better than mine ,dont remember this or even the bird in the tight white semi see through thingy, a lot to be said for interim soft drinks,:nishelypished:

Quinno
15-07-2013, 19:12
Your powers of recall are obviously better than mine ,dont remember this or even the bird in the tight white semi see through thingy, a lot to be said for interim soft drinks,:nishelypished:

That Appletiser did me proud!!

oldboots
15-07-2013, 20:52

Crikey! no wonder I had a bit of a head on Sunday. At least we didn't try out Mirage:D

london calling
15-07-2013, 21:06
Had 22 different beers this week but the 2 standouts were the Camerons -mosaic and the Thwaites or was it twits-little bewdy. Both at Reading. Beers of the week rather than beer .

Mobyduck
16-07-2013, 09:53

Order of play after Alehouse, I recall it as - Oakford, Corn Stores, Blagrave (Strongers went after the complimentary olives and peanuts!), Gateway - you'd all have had a London Pride there, unless Guinness came out (Moby?). Blagrave's beer was Vale Metroland and Andwell (Gold, I think). Beer in Corn Stores was Seafarers, Pride and ESB.

Remember the bird at the Oakford in the tight white (semi-see through as well) dress..? Highlight of my crawl!
Wont be reviewing the Corn Stores or indeed anything allegedly visited after the Alehouse :confused:

Apologies to Rob C for clogging this thread with totally unrelated stuff .

Real Ale Ray
16-07-2013, 18:26
Wild Weather - Stormbringer

Thuck Phat
16-07-2013, 20:25
Runners this week:
Oakham Bishops Farewell
Atomic Half Life
Sadlers Thin Ice
Vale Gravitas
Abbeydale Philosophy

Not a bad beer amongst that lot. BOTW Vale Gravitas and not for the first time. Pale, bitter and deeply refreshing at 4.8%, perfect for this delightfully warm and unseasonal weather.

Oggwyn Trench
19-07-2013, 21:43
Late on Parade this week :eek:

BOTW Salopian - Darwins Origin

ROBCamra
22-07-2013, 16:08
Kelham Island Sweet Home Alabama complete with a picture of Ronnie Van Zant on the pump clip tried in The Baum of course.

KI descibe it as a "Summer Bitter", a good description as it went down well in the warmth.