PDA

View Full Version : Pubs Doing CAMRA Discount.

Aqualung
14-07-2013, 22:51
This seems to be becoming a more common thing.
The only one in my area that I KNOW does it is the Bell on Forest Road.
I checked CAMRA.ORG and there is an online form there that pubs can use after which they will be sent promotional material. As there is no indication of the discount at all in the Bell, I assume they don't have the promotional material. CAMRA.ORG claim that a database is being set up and will be available soon. I do know a bit about this sort of thing and setting up an indexed list of names and addresses is probably one of the easiest possible things to do. As it's CAMRA I'll give them two years to get it up and running.

I was talking to someone last night who told me that the new Crooked Billet in E5 would be doing discount along with a list of others, but I didnt have a pen and I was too addled to remember them all!

What I do recall was that two of the three local Antic Pubs were going to do it and astonishingly the Golden Grove Spoons down in E15, which is the only East London Spoons outside of the City area that I haven't actually been to in the last few years. If I go there I won't take the CAMRA tickets as using both would not be allowed.

I gather the new Wenlock does the discount so at the moment there are just two that I know definitely do it.

If people can post the pubs that they know DEFINITELY do a CAMRA discount then I can create a database that I can post summaries onto this thread in a similar fashion to the GB & U IPAs thread.

Mobyduck
15-07-2013, 05:37
I checked CAMRA.ORG and there is an online form there that pubs can use after which they will be sent promotional material. As there is no indication of the discount at all in the Bell, I assume they don't have the promotional material. CAMRA.ORG claim that a database is being set up and will be available soon. I do know a bit about this sort of thing and setting up an indexed list of names and addresses is probably one of the easiest possible things to do. As it's CAMRA I'll give them two years to get it up and running.

I was talking to someone last night who told me that the new Crooked Billet in E5 would be doing discount along with a list of others, but I didnt have a pen and I was too addled to remember them all!

What I do recall was that two of the three local Antic Pubs were going to do it and astonishingly the Golden Grove Spoons down in E15, which is the only East London Spoons outside of the City area that I haven't actually been to in the last few years. If I go there I won't take the CAMRA tickets as using both would not be allowed.

I gather the new Wenlock does the discount so at the moment there are just two that I know definitely do it.

If people can post the pubs that they know DEFINITELY do a CAMRA discount then I can create a database that I can post summaries onto this thread in a similar fashion to the GB & U IPAs thread.
The Bree Louise (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22805/) does a CAMRA discount,I did hear a while back this pub was up for closure at some point, I don't know how true this is, Its not a pub I would go out of my way to visit nowdays, the beer quality has not been great on my last two visits although that's now over two years ago.

ROBCamra
15-07-2013, 07:00
There are 45 in the Derby CAMRA branch area alone.

See pages 8 & 20 of http://www.derbycamra.org.uk/derby-drinker/

That will give you something to do. :p

oldboots
15-07-2013, 07:56
These http://www.camra.org.uk/discountscheme are the details about the CAMRA version.

As well as all English, Welsh and Northern Ireland Wetherspoons, Castle Rock pubs take the JDW vouchers. Some Nicholsons pubs offer a discount, certainly Harkers and the Cross Keys in York do. Still in York, the Windmill does a 10% discount (spookily enough it's opposite a 'Spoons). The Alexandra in Harrogate offers 20p off but not all the staff know about it. On a related subject the Sheeshmahal curry house in Bradford offers a 10% discount.

A good source of this info are CAMRA branch magazines, I'll go through the recent pile I have collected and post a list.

Aqualung
15-07-2013, 08:55
The Bree Louise (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22805/) does a CAMRA discount,I did hear a while back this pub was up for closure at some point, I don't know how true this is, Its not a pub I would go out of my way to visit nowdays, the beer quality has not been great on my last two visits although that's now over two years ago.

That would be because of the HS2 which as I understand it will flatten a whole area around (I imagine) the North and West side of Euston. Euston Underground station is already stretched to breaking point, so I assume that they will have to rebuild that as well.

NickDavies
15-07-2013, 08:59

We were in there the other day, but not for long. Something had gone wrong with the cellar meaning no handpumped beer nor lager. As it was about 30°C the stuff on stillage was more akin to brown windsor soup. We repaired to the Doric Arch (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54207/), which as usual had an excellent range of beers. Anyway to get round to the topic under discussion, it also does a Camra discount; you have to fill in a form and they give you a card though just saying "I've got a card" usually does the trick.

Aqualung
15-07-2013, 09:00
These http://www.camra.org.uk/discountscheme are the details about the CAMRA version.

As well as all English, Welsh and Northern Ireland Wetherspoons, Castle Rock pubs take the JDW vouchers. Some Nicholsons pubs offer a discount, certainly Harkers and the Cross Keys in York do. Still in York, the Windmill does a 10% discount (spookily enough it's opposite a 'Spoons). The Alexandra in Harrogate offers 20p off but not all the staff know about it. On a related subject the Sheeshmahal curry house in Bradford offers a 10% discount.

A good source of this info are CAMRA branch magazines, I'll go through the recent pile I have collected and post a list.

Thanks for that, I'm not including the Spoons vouchers as that is all fairly obvious and there is little point in listing them all (plus the Catle Rock ones!).

Aqualung
15-07-2013, 09:01
There are 45 in the Derby CAMRA branch area alone.

See pages 8 & 20 of http://www.derbycamra.org.uk/derby-drinker/

That will give you something to do. :p

Thanks, I'll check that out!

Aqualung
15-07-2013, 13:14
We were in there the other day, but not for long. Something had gone wrong with the cellar meaning no handpumped beer nor lager. As it was about 30°C the stuff on stillage was more akin to brown windsor soup. We repaired to the Doric Arch (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54207/), which as usual had an excellent range of beers. Anyway to get round to the topic under discussion, it also does a Camra discount; you have to fill in a form and they give you a card though just saying "I've got a card" usually does the trick.

I never understood why that pub went down the gravity dispense route. Unless the beer is served from a chilled area it's never going to work. Gravity beer needs a quicker throughput as a handpulled beer losing condition can be livened up with a sparkler. It was always a pub (the Watney Jolly Gardeners) so it must surely have an adequate cellar.

Would that be 10% discount at the Doric Arch?

Quinno
15-07-2013, 13:55
Gravity beer needs a quicker throughput as a handpulled beer losing condition can be livened up with a sparkler.

A flat beer is a flat beer whether it has a head on it or not??

NickDavies
15-07-2013, 14:08
I never understood why that pub went down the gravity dispense route. Unless the beer is served from a chilled area it's never going to work. Gravity beer needs a quicker throughput as a handpulled beer losing condition can be livened up with a sparkler. It was always a pub (the Watney Jolly Gardeners) so it must surely have an adequate cellar.

Would that be 10% discount at the Doric Arch?

They claim six beers on the handle plus another 11 on gravity, which is about eight too many. In any case as they have no cooling system in the gravity bit they haven't a chance in this weather. I'm surprised they opened when we were there the other day, a lot of people were resorting to bottles or leaving fairly quickly.

It's 15% off in the Doric.

Mobyduck
15-07-2013, 18:26

Per chance I decided on a local bike ride today to a couple of pubs to make use of having a week off and went to a pub only about 3.5 miles from my doorstep that I hadn't been in since the mid-90's, (a review will appear soon), The White Hart Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/70093/).This offers 20p off a pint for card carrying members or 10p off for a half,the price of a half of 4.8% beer was £1.65, not to bad for around here.

Quinno
15-07-2013, 18:48
They claim six beers on the handle plus another 11 on gravity, which is about eight too many. In any case as they have no cooling system in the gravity bit they haven't a chance in this weather. I'm surprised they opened when we were there the other day, a lot of people were resorting to bottles or leaving fairly quickly.

They are bloody-minded fools giving real ale a bad name!!!

Most people I know round here have given up on them.

Aqualung
15-07-2013, 18:57
Per chance I decided on a local bike ride today to a couple of pubs to make use of having a week off and went to a pub only about 3.5 miles from my doorstep that I hadn't been in since the mid-90's, (a review will appear soon), The White Hart Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/70093/).This offers 20p off a pint for card carrying members or 10p off for a half,the price of a half of 4.8% beer was £1.65, not to bad for around here.

Thanks for that one, it seems that sort of figure is typical oop north where the prices are cheaper, but every little helps as someone said trying to sell me something I didn't want.

london calling
15-07-2013, 21:19
The Bree Louise and its other pub the Duchess of Cornwall give 50 p a pint discount. The Brewharf in Borough give !0% discount so 40p.

london calling
15-07-2013, 21:23
The Bree Louise has a cooling system which works quite well but the beer is always in poor condition.TIP-the beer is on Autotilts so if the barrel is quite level it should be new on .If the barrel is sloped BEWARE.

london calling
15-07-2013, 21:32
The Bree Louise has a cooling system which works quite well but the beer is always in poor condition.TIP-the beer is on Autotilts so if the barrel is quite level it should be new on .If the barrel is sloped BEWARE.

Actually BEWARE OF THE STILLAGE BEER IS A MORE SENSIBLE IDEA.

london calling
15-07-2013, 21:35
Oops sorry quinno.

Aqualung
15-07-2013, 21:50

Thanks for the update. Do you know what the cooling system is that they use? I remember the cooling jackets that CAMRA used at the GBBF back in the 90's (I gave up going there when they stopped doing Lee's Moonraker after the Madchester Winter one started). In my opinion those jackets weren't satisfactory in hot weather, which it always was as Olympia was a giant greenhouse.

Quinno
15-07-2013, 21:55
Oops sorry quinno.

Accepted ;)

london calling
16-07-2013, 19:35
Thanks for the update. Do you know what the cooling system is that they use? I remember the cooling jackets that CAMRA used at the GBBF back in the 90's (I gave up going there when they stopped doing Lee's Moonraker after the Madchester Winter one started). In my opinion those jackets weren't satisfactory in hot weather, which it always was as Olympia was a giant greenhouse.

The system they use is like a metal u shaped kettle element that screws into the spile hole.It is all connected to a plastic hose .Then ice cold water circulates through the system and into a cooler.They condition the beer in the cellar then bring it up last thing at night to let it settle overnight. But with no hard or soft spiles used I am sure this will affect the condition of the beer.

Aqualung
16-07-2013, 20:56
The system they use is like a metal u shaped kettle element that screws into the spile hole.It is all connected to a plastic hose .Then ice cold water circulates through the system and into a cooler.They condition the beer in the cellar then bring it up last thing at night to let it settle overnight. But with no hard or soft spiles used I am sure this will affect the condition of the beer.

I think I heard of this one years ago. You can get a similar thing (reversed) for keeping home brew fermenting in the winter which I once tried and it didn't really work.

I wonder how they get the beer up to the stillage overnight without ruining it. It reminds of a comment I used to make in the Leyton Drum when given a cloudy pint. "Did you pick the barrel up and shake it to see how much was left?".

11 different casks on gravity is just silly unless they are served out of a cooled cellar. I remember a pub years ago called the Wicked Lady at Nomansland Common in Herts that had this very arrangement. A room of the pub had been converted into a cellar with a serving hatch and they had two rows of gravity beers and ciders. I only went there once and it was brilliant!

london calling
16-07-2013, 21:56
The Taproom Islington has 8 stillaged beers behind the bar in a chilled cabinet .No probs with the temp or condition on my 2 visits.

Aqualung
16-07-2013, 22:41
The Taproom Islington has 8 stillaged beers behind the bar in a chilled cabinet .No probs with the temp or condition on my 2 visits.

Fair enough, that sounds like a mini version of what the Wicked Lady used to do. The big question is why the Bree Louise can't come up with something like this?

Dave M
17-07-2013, 18:00

Would this kind of thing help? http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pub-features/camra-discount/

Aqualung
17-07-2013, 19:22
Would this kind of thing help? http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pub-features/camra-discount/

That's perfect!! Would it be possible to expand the list by posting details on here?

I have these :-

The Bell,617 Forest Road,E17,E17 4NE
The Bree Louise,69 Cobourg Street,NW1,NW1 2HH
The Wenlock Arms,26 Wenlock Road,N1,N1 7TA
The Doric Arch,1 Eversholt Street,NW1,NW1 2DN
The White Hart Hotel,London Road,Hook,RG27 9DZ
The Queens Head,54 Windsor Street,Uxbridge,UB08 1AB
The Forester,2 Leighton Road,W13,W13 9EP
The Vine,121 Hillingdon Hill,Hillingdon,UB10 0JQ

Dave M
17-07-2013, 19:31
Well rather than me adding them to the list I have created a way for members to do it.

If you visit The Bell (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25219/) for example and scroll to near the bottom of the page there are some new buttons that can be clicked - one of which will show that the pub does a CAMRA discount.

Once you click that it will automatically be added to the list.

Aqualung
17-07-2013, 19:47
Well rather than me adding them to the list I have created a way for members to do it.

If you visit The Bell (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25219/) for example and scroll to near the bottom of the page there are some new buttons that can be clicked - one of which will show that the pub does a CAMRA discount.

Once you click that it will automatically be added to the list.

It gets better and better!!

Dave M
17-07-2013, 21:29
Also for anyone planning on adding details for several pubs in a given town then you can go to your choice of postal town rather than look at every pub page.

So take Reading (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/towns/reading/berkshire/) for example, go to that page and you will see on the right hand side in the section on the right hand side (where your logout button is) and there will be a button for 'Pub Facilities'. When you click that they page may take a while to load as there is a lot on it!

If you don't have access to any of these features but would like it then let me know and I'll set it up for you.

Wittenden
17-07-2013, 22:14
- one of which will show that the pub does a CAMRA discount.

Looks as if I'll rejoin when I'm eligible for the geriatric discount!(Next year...)

Aqualung
18-07-2013, 00:02
Looks as if I'll rejoin when I'm eligible for the geriatric discount!(Next year...)

If you're prepared to drink in a Spoons it's worth it for the vouchers alone. I got a life sentence back in 1990 for approx £100, so I can only assume that I am now costing them money.

I'm fully expecting a Mr Creosote (from the Python film) situation to develop in the William one Friday afternoon with a shadowy figure from CAMRA HQ offering me "just one more Big Mofo Sir".

Quinno
18-07-2013, 07:49

Ace! I'll start adding next week. Cheers Dave.

RogerB
18-07-2013, 10:49
Tapping The Admiral in Camden offers CAMRA discount. Well worth a visit if in the area. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/72375/

Bucking Fastard
18-07-2013, 11:24

That's another great addition to the site,very many thanks.:notworthy:

Quinno
18-07-2013, 14:02

Thought - would it be worth having a 'last updated' column in order to stop complaints that we are telling punters a discount is available in a pub where it has since ceased (but of which we are unaware?). That way PuG can at least 'manage expectations' as it were.

Al 10000
18-07-2013, 14:35
Yet another good addition to the Pubs Galore site,i have already done most pubs that i know about on the Nottingham list.

Regarding the discount button,you can always press the no discount button if the pub stops doing it,i will keep a look out in the Nottingham drinker for additions or deletions of pubs doing discounts,if other members do the same for their areas we might just keep the site up to date with the discounting pubs.

Aqualung
18-07-2013, 21:31
Yet another good addition to the Pubs Galore site,i have already done most pubs that i know about on the Nottingham list.

Regarding the discount button,you can always press the no discount button if the pub stops doing it,i will keep a look out in the Nottingham drinker for additions or deletions of pubs doing discounts,if other members do the same for their areas we might just keep the site up to date with the discounting pubs.

I agree with what you say.
I'm slowly trawling through CAMRA branch websites and have managed to uncover some lists for West Middlesex and North Oxfordshire. The West Middlesex branch has three pubs where they do a FOOD discount for CAMRA members. Two of these were Spoons in Hayes and Stockley Park that I visited earlier in the year so I have flagged the Discount and updated the reviews. I'm not prepared to flag a pub I haven't been to as doing just FOOD discount like the Load of Hay in Uxbridge as I don't want to post a review that just explains the discount.

Dave M
18-07-2013, 22:15
Thought - would it be worth having a 'last updated' column in order to stop complaints that we are telling punters a discount is available in a pub where it has since ceased (but of which we are unaware?). That way PuG can at least 'manage expectations' as it were.

Yeah I've added that column. To be honest that page may well change a bit and I need to work out better ways of presenting the information as it is all a bit rough around the edges at the moment. I pretty much just chucked it out there to see if people would be interested.

I have flagged the Discount and updated the reviews. I'm not prepared to flag a pub I haven't been to as doing just FOOD discount like the Load of Hay in Uxbridge as I don't want to post a review that just explains the discount.
At some point I would like to add a comment option so that people can leave an extra short comment like '10p off a pint', 'only available Sundays' or '10% off food only' - that kind of thing. It may be useful for the other features I'm hoping to collect info on too, so people can say how many pool tables there are and how much a game costs or which evening is the pub quiz.

I'm just trying to get my head around how it will all work though so probably nothing new on it till next week once I've had the chance to think about it over a few beers.

sheffield hatter
18-07-2013, 23:13
Excellent new feature, Dave. Well done!

I'm just trying to get my head around how it will all work though so probably nothing new on it till next week once I've had the chance to think about it over a few beers.

Careful, now.;)

NickDavies
19-07-2013, 08:26
How about food hygiene stars...."scores on the doors"

gillhalfpint
19-07-2013, 08:51
As long as we don't have to conduct a long interview with the landlord to get up to date info I'm happy. Don't really want my pub visit to be as drawn out as CAMRA pub surveys seem to be. I go in for a beer and report my beers. If I remember any of the features I report them but at the end of the day my memory is lacking, and although I always intend to take notes I am usually too busy enjoying the reason I have gone into the pub in the first place to remember!!

OK for those who keep full pub info records though.

Aqualung
19-07-2013, 21:10
As long as we don't have to conduct a long interview with the landlord to get up to date info I'm happy. Don't really want my pub visit to be as drawn out as CAMRA pub surveys seem to be. I go in for a beer and report my beers. If I remember any of the features I report them but at the end of the day my memory is lacking, and although I always intend to take notes I am usually too busy enjoying the reason I have gone into the pub in the first place to remember!!

I can't agree more! I've updated all my reviews as best I can, anything I'm unsure of remains "unknown". The idea of "interviewing" a landlord is a total nightmare. After all, Michael Parkinson is much older and uglier than me and does anyone REALLY know how bald Terry Wogan is?

On a more serious note, my digging into this subject has revealed that one of the best Spoons I've been to this year does 50p off a pint on Wednesdays. It's the William Jolie by Northwood Hills Station. I'm now trying to sort out a Wednesday and some extra beer tokens to allow me to make a return visit.

Dave M
29-07-2013, 16:14
How about food hygiene stars...."scores on the doors"

It is something I have always fancied getting on the site but not one that we could just have users submitting - if it is going to be done it has to be kept properly up to date (as in daily). I could get hold of the data and see if it is possible to get on the site if people are interested though.

I wouldn't expect anyone to make an effort to answer all of the things on a pub visit. Most of the people who use the site a lot at the moment are real ale enthusiasts so I would expect those type of features to get noticed and corrected. In future maybe we will draw in a group of people who are karaoke or quiz enthusiasts and they will probably tell us nothing about the beer.