PDA

View Full Version : PuG Autumn/Winter meet up Leeds 22/11/2013

Dave M
13-07-2013, 19:00
Ok, so let's start talking about where the next meet up should be?

I think most people would be up for midlands or maybe somewhere more northern.

How about Worcester, Derby, Sheffield, Manchester, York. Any preferences?

Also we need to look at dates, maybe first Friday in November?

Quinno
14-07-2013, 00:35
Based on today's discussions, Worcester is a good shout and I can vouch for its crawl-worthiness.

That's a Midlands(ish) jaunt, if agreed. Northern after, then back to South...?

Mobyduck
14-07-2013, 00:43
Based on today's discussions, Worcester is a good shout and I can vouch for its crawl-worthiness.

That's a Midlands(ish) jaunt, if agreed. Northern after, then back to South...?
At this point in time agreed.

Bucking Fastard
14-07-2013, 12:36
Looking back at where the Pubsgalore crawl has visited may be helpful.In order I think it was

Birmingham
Nottingham
Liverpool
Black Country Tour
Leicester
Reading

With the last two in the south and east midlands,it strike me as only fair to our northern correspondents to consider going to one of the great northern cities next.I agree Worcester is worth a tour but maybe not the next outing.

Sheffield,Leeds and Manchester all have that wonderful combination of great pubs and great beer.There are so many options,a weekend could easily be filled up and although I have been to all three,I barely scratched the surface.

So I am leaning to up north next.

Quinno
14-07-2013, 14:26
With the last two in the south and east midlands,it strike me as only fair to our northern correspondents to consider going to one of the great northern cities next

Fair point...

Soup Dragon
14-07-2013, 14:56
Fair point...

I would love Sheffield - and Mr Hatter can bike us back to the station

sheffield hatter
14-07-2013, 15:41
I would love Sheffield - and Mr Hatter can bike us back to the station

...erm, all on the same bike?

trainman
14-07-2013, 15:53

Easy peasey... (>1'50...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy9QeosTh7w

Mobyduck
14-07-2013, 16:15
Can you ride Tandem ?

sheffield hatter
14-07-2013, 16:43
Can you ride Tandem ?

I think I prefer Trainman's suggestion. Looks like fun.

Mobyduck
14-07-2013, 16:44
I think I prefer Trainman's suggestion. Looks like fun.
Who for? :eek:

gillhalfpint
15-07-2013, 09:32
Like all the venues, but can't do 1 or 8 Nov. 15 or 22 better for us.

aleandhearty
15-07-2013, 13:10
I agree Worcester is worth a tour but maybe not the next outing.....Sheffield,Leeds and Manchester all have that wonderful combination of great pubs and great beer.

With my in-laws living in Worcester I've had some good sessions in the city down the years. The local scene seems to be thriving, at the moment, with both the Paul Pry and Cardinal's Hat back in ale lovers' hands, after periods in the wilderness. Definitely worth a visit at some stage.

Sheffield, Leeds and Manchester all sound good to me.

sheffield hatter
15-07-2013, 15:15
With my in-laws living in Worcester I've had some good sessions in the city down the years. The local scene seems to be thriving, at the moment, with both the Paul Pry and Cardinal's Hat back in ale lovers' hands, after periods in the wilderness. Definitely worth a visit at some stage.

Sheffield, Leeds and Manchester all sound good to me.

Worcester interests me, I must admit. York is on my schedule once or sometimes twice a year and I've done a good crawl in Leeds recently, though I've never done more than a handful of pubs in Manchester. And as for Sheffield...

I've got a slight preference for Friday, 22nd November. It does get dark pretty early at that time of year, though. What's the street lighting like in Worcester?;)

Bucking Fastard
21-07-2013, 15:44
With the last two in the south and east midlands,it strike me as only fair to our northern correspondents to consider going to one of the great northern cities next.I agree Worcester is worth a tour but maybe not the next outing.

Time for a bump,I fear my interjection above may have gummed up the works.Two of the northern brigade ,sheffield hatter and a&h ,sound positive on Worcester .As there were positive vibes from some of the Reading crawlers maybe reverse logic is required.I can certainly understand that a pub crawl around a city that you are already familiar with can be a little dull,so how about proposing Worcester and seeing if there are many objections ?

In terms of dates it seems that in November the following days are still open(I have eliminated those dates I couln't make) ;

Fridays 15th,22nd

Saturdays 2nd,16th,23rd,30th

A process of elimination may get us to a suitable date .

ROBCamra
21-07-2013, 16:08
I've done Worcester myself and there are a few good pubs there, all a bit spread out.

As it's 126 miles south of me I certainly don't think it can be considered north.

All Saturdays are out for me.

Mobyduck
21-07-2013, 16:10
Time for a bump,I fear my interjection above may have gummed up the works.Two of the northern brigade ,sheffield hatter and a&h ,sound positive on Worcester .As there were positive vibes from some of the Reading crawlers maybe reverse logic is required.I can certainly understand that a pub crawl around a city that you are already familiar with can be a little dull,so how about proposing Worcester and seeing if there are many objections ?

In terms of dates it seems that in November the following days are still open(I have eliminated those dates I couln't make) ;

Fridays 15th,22nd

Saturdays 2nd,16th,23rd,30th

A process of elimination may get us to a suitable date .
No problem with Worcester or at the moment any dates in November ,but an advanced decision will obviously help.

Bucking Fastard
21-07-2013, 16:59
I've done Worcester myself and there are a few good pubs there, all a bit spread out.

As it's 126 miles south of me I certainly don't think it can be considered north.

All Saturdays are out for me.

OK that's fair,where would you favour in the north ?

ROBCamra
21-07-2013, 18:28
OK that's fair,where would you favour in the north ?

Well as the Reading trip started off as Leeds....................... :p

Strongers
21-07-2013, 19:22
I’ll not know when I am free until much nearer the time so I will go along with whatever is decided.

sheffield hatter
21-07-2013, 19:37
Well as the Reading trip started off as Leeds....................... :p

....so how about Leeds in November and then keep Worcester in mind for next Spring? Does anyone have a problem with Friday 22nd November?

gillhalfpint
21-07-2013, 19:59
Love Leeds so fine with that. Haven't done Worcester for years so fine with that. All the suggested Nov dates ok except 2nd.

Leeds Nov 22 sounds good to me if that is the way it is heading.

Bucking Fastard
21-07-2013, 20:36
....so how about Leeds in November and then keep Worcester in mind for next Spring? Does anyone have a problem with Friday 22nd November?

Thats good for me.

oldboots
22-07-2013, 08:40
Friday 22nd in Leeds works for me.

aleandhearty
22-07-2013, 10:17
Although I'm quite happy to visit Worcester in the spring, I'm glad a northern venue was chosen this time round. Can't see any problems with 22nd November, so that should be OK. Leeds should be a cracking day out. The only problem I can see is the drawing up of the pub list, which will no doubt be fiercely debated!

Quinno
22-07-2013, 11:13
Friday 22nd in Leeds works for me.

Likewise.

oldboots
22-07-2013, 16:56
Although I'm quite happy to visit Worcester in the spring, I'm glad a northern venue was chosen this time round. Can't see any problems with 22nd November, so that should be OK. Leeds should be a cracking day out. The only problem I can see is the drawing up of the pub list, which will no doubt be fiercely debated!

Bring your list on Wednesday and we'll fight it out, three falls or a submission.

gillhalfpint
22-07-2013, 18:41
Happy to go with the flow. Leeds 22 Nov good enough.

aleandhearty
23-07-2013, 10:58
Bring your list on Wednesday and we'll fight it out, three falls or a submission.

We could have two tag teams. I could certainly pass for Big Daddy! Will bring my provisional long list.

Gann
23-07-2013, 11:33
Like others I won't be able to confirm until nearer the time, but it's in the diary for the moment and more than happy with the choice of Leeds..

I'll leave it up to our northern colleagues to naked mud wrestle (or did I read that wrong... :)) to choose the pubs..

And I am sure they will be , but the only request from my side is that the Whitelocks and The Grove Inn are on the list....

ROBCamra
23-07-2013, 11:39
but the only request from my side is that the Whitelocks and The Grove Inn are on the list....

They will be, you can't go to Leeds and not visit them. The Grove may even be the meet up place as it's only about 300 yards from the station. :cheers:

Quinno
23-07-2013, 13:32
The only problem I can see is the drawing up of the pub list, which will no doubt be fiercely debated!

You also need to elect the 'four minute warning' marshal :p

Soup Dragon
23-07-2013, 13:53

You are the only one that can stay sober - it has to be you....

Quinno
23-07-2013, 16:57
You are the only one that can stay sober - it has to be you....

Six and a half pints plus a couple of Appletisers: Monks - Alehouse inclusive :p

aleandhearty
23-07-2013, 17:45

Oh,God. That'll be even more contentious than the pub list!

sheffield hatter
24-07-2013, 23:10
I'll leave it up to our northern colleagues to naked mud wrestle (or did I read that wrong... :)) to choose the pubs....the only request from my side is that Whitelocks and The Grove Inn are on the list....

Please see attached photos of the above mentioned naked mud wrestling session. We couldn't find any naked mud, so we just debated calmly and wrote some notes. (From left to right: Ale & Hearty, Sheffield Hatter and Old Boots, in The Fleece (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/41013/) in Otley.) Full results of our deliberations to follow, but suffice to say that both Whitelocks First City Luncheon Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54017/) and The Grove Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42740/) have made it onto the final team sheet.

Quinno
24-07-2013, 23:31
pub crawl by committee! :D

sheffield hatter
25-07-2013, 11:21
pub crawl by committee! :D

OK, please see attached document for the committee's democratically agreed pub crawl route for Friday, 22nd November. Obviously nothing is set in stone, but we agreed that there were eight or nine "must visit" pubs, with the Scarbrough Hotel an appropriate meeting point (so that the steep steps to reach it are taken when still sober :)) and the Brewery Tap equally appropriate for a quick sprint to the station for trains home. Other pubs mentioned as being "on the way" or "nearby" are jokers or wild cards that people can pick and choose from.

I wanted to include the Garden Gate as a "must visit", others felt that not everyone would want to do the bus trip. (It's a similar trip to the bus ride to/from Caversham on the Reading meet up.) So there is an option to give that one a miss and pick up a couple of the wild cards on the way to a rendezvous with the rest of the group later on.

Any comments as to "essential" pubs that we've missed out will be carefully considered by the committee before being rejected out of hand. We felt that if people want to do more than the pubs listed here, they will probably need a second day anyway!

Bucking Fastard
25-07-2013, 12:09
We felt that if people want to do more than the pubs listed here, they will probably need a second day anyway!

Well done t'committee for coming up with a very interesting route,and a comprehensive listing of pubs worth a visit.I may well treat myself to an overnight in Leeds that Friday night,so a less hectic ramble around some of the wild cards on Saturday might happen.Will need to get into training before attempting such a feat !!

Strongers
25-07-2013, 12:24
After much debate I have cleared it with my lovely handbrake and secured permission for an overnight stay.
I will still have to wait until nearer the time to make sure that I am free on the Friday. I’ll also need to find a heavily reduced train trip because I’m not paying over £200 for a return.

Quinno
25-07-2013, 13:10
Just did search for the nearest available Friday selection on National Rail and I can't find any reasonable trains for less than £100 so unless Trainman can guide me to some cheapness, I may not be able to make it.

The coach option is almost 5 hours from London!

trainman
25-07-2013, 13:19
Just did search for the nearest available Friday selection on National Rail and I can't find any reasonable trains for less than £100 so unless Trainman can guide me to some cheapness, I may not be able to make it.

The cheaper fares won't kick in until nearer the time Quinno; for instance two singles are currently available for, say, 30Aug at £22.60 out and £14.60 back...
I also considered trying for a £1e/w megatrain to Sheffield then £10.50rtn from there to Leeds; it would add 40-60mins to the journey, but that would be a mightily attractive price...

Quinno
25-07-2013, 13:56
The cheaper fares won't kick in until nearer the time Quinno; for instance two singles are currently available for, say, 30Aug at £22.60 out and £14.60 back...
I also considered trying for a £1e/w megatrain to Sheffield then £10.50rtn from there to Leeds; it would add 40-60mins to the journey, but that would be a mightily attractive price...

Given that we'd be heading from roughly the same direction, keep me in the loop on your thought process!

Mobyduck
25-07-2013, 21:16

Given that we'd be heading from roughly the same direction, keep me in the loop on your thought process!
I will certainly need some pointers nearer the time.

Pubsignman
26-07-2013, 00:13
I'm fairly confident that I can make this one. Having the route already sketched out is particularly handy for me, as I'll be up in Leeds in early October for the football and now I can pick out a few of the wild-cards for that visit and leave the main crawl for the PuG meet-up. Thanks to everyone involved in putting the route together - looks like thirsty work.

oldboots
26-07-2013, 07:59
Thanks to everyone involved in putting the route together - looks like thirsty work.

It was, thanks are especially due to Sheffield Hatter for adding the timings and writing it up.

ROBCamra
26-07-2013, 11:58
Please see attached photos of the above mentioned naked mud wrestling session. We couldn't find any naked mud, so we just debated calmly and wrote some notes. (From left to right: Ale & Hearty, Sheffield Hatter and Old Boots, in The Fleece (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/41013/) in Otley.) Full results of our deliberations to follow, but suffice to say that both Whitelocks First City Luncheon Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54017/) and The Grove Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42740/) have made it onto the final team sheet.

Triplets???????????????? :evilgrin:

aleandhearty
26-07-2013, 19:01
Triplets???????????????? :evilgrin:

:D In the Schwarzenegger / DeVito stylee, maybe.

an_ecumenical_matter
30-07-2013, 20:19
OK, please see attached document for the committee's democratically agreed pub crawl route for Friday, 22nd November. Obviously nothing is set in stone, but we agreed that there were eight or nine "must visit" pubs, with the Scarbrough Hotel an appropriate meeting point (so that the steep steps to reach it are taken when still sober :)) and the Brewery Tap equally appropriate for a quick sprint to the station for trains home. Other pubs mentioned as being "on the way" or "nearby" are jokers or wild cards that people can pick and choose from.

I wanted to include the Garden Gate as a "must visit", others felt that not everyone would want to do the bus trip. (It's a similar trip to the bus ride to/from Caversham on the Reading meet up.) So there is an option to give that one a miss and pick up a couple of the wild cards on the way to a rendezvous with the rest of the group later on.

Any comments as to "essential" pubs that we've missed out will be carefully considered by the committee before being rejected out of hand. We felt that if people want to do more than the pubs listed here, they will probably need a second day anyway!

Nice of you choose that weekend folks. I'm on a Black Country bus tour the following day so it would be rude not to make a weekend of it............... !!!

an_ecumenical_matter
01-08-2013, 15:28
Nice of you choose that weekend folks. I'm on a Black Country bus tour the following day so it would be rude not to make a weekend of it............... !!!
And getting the Hilton for £45 is an absolute winner too !!!

Gann
30-08-2013, 11:10
For the London contingent traveling on the day the low cost web based East Coast tickets are now available from their web site

I have booked mine today regardless if my attendance is not confirmed yet..
9.35AM out of Kings X and 19.15 back and seat E17 on both if anyone wants to have the pleasure of my company for two hours

£34 total for the two singles which is the best I could find anywhere for this direct connection..

Strongers
30-08-2013, 12:55
Is it wise to book now or wait until nearer the time? I'm going to stay in Doncaster on Friday night and have found the cheapest fare back to Eastbourne to be £17.50 :D. Going up to Leeds on the Friday the cheapest I've found is £34.90.

trainman
30-08-2013, 13:19
I've been monitoring and noticed that the apex tkts kicked in today, but Gann beat me to the notification - redundancy looms again!
Booking direct with east Coast saves you a booking fee and a coupla quid vs thetrainline.
I, too, am on the 09:35 (arr 11:48) and almost went for the 19:15 rtn, but allowed some stagger time to find the 19:45. Sorry Gann, but they gave me E18!!
Anyone wishing to chance waiting for that route via Sheff on megatrain will be waiting til end Sep (~ T- 6 weeks)- it's a gamble!

Strongers, I can't see prices going down now - considering Eastbourne>London alone is £29 for that train, I'd say you've already found the best deal...

hondo
30-08-2013, 13:49
Is it wise to book now or wait until nearer the time? I'm going to stay in Doncaster on Friday night and have found the cheapest fare back to Eastbourne to be £17.50 :D. Going up to Leeds on the Friday the cheapest I've found is £34.90.

some Doncaster starters
The Corner Pin (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/33789/)
Cask Corner (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/72950/)
The Salutation (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/33911/)
plus 3 spoons within walking distance of each other
The Old Angel (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/62613/)
The Gate House (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56323/)
The Red Lion (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/33897/)
beware of silver street :o

Strongers
30-08-2013, 14:24
some Doncaster starters
Thanks, I'll make a note of them. :notworthy: My plan was to head back to the hotel for a reasonably early night on the Friday and then get some breakfast before early doors on Saturday for 3 or so hours.

Strongers
30-08-2013, 14:56
The £7.50 journey from Victoria to Eastbourne on the Saturday have disappeared and all fares are now £29.
Is there any reason I’m missing why I can’t get a super off peak return in advance for £16.90 and only use the return ticket?

trainman
30-08-2013, 18:20
The £7.50 journey from Victoria to Eastbourne on the Saturday have disappeared and all fares are now £29.
Is there any reason I’m missing why I can’t get a super off peak return in advance for £16.90 and only use the return ticket?
None at all! Or pre-book that southern daysave for £14...

Strongers
30-08-2013, 19:06
None at all! Or pre-book that southern daysave for £14...

Daysave is the way to go.:notworthy:

I found a room in Doncaster for £26, which I thought was excellent value. After booking I read that it is in the middle of the red light district and the road at night gets lined with hookers. It should be an interesting stumble back on Friday night. :eek:

trainman
30-08-2013, 21:37
I found a room in Doncaster for £26, which I thought was excellent value. After booking I read that it is in the middle of the red light district and the road at night gets lined with hookers. It should be an interesting stumble back on Friday night. :eek:

Better check you have that room for more than an hour...

Strongers
30-08-2013, 21:48
Better check you have that room for more than an hour...

Damn it... I've just realised I booked the room through lastaminute.com :D

sheffield hatter
31-08-2013, 21:39
some Doncaster starters

Can't fault the Corner Pin, but the Plough (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/33883/) is a much better pub than either the Salutation or the Cask Corner, IMHO. Or how about a brisk stroll across the bridge to the Three Horseshoes (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/33940/)?

And three 'Spoons within walking distance? Why not save the walk and have three drinks in one 'Spoons? (Sorry, but I only go in a 'Spoons if there's nothing else available, and even then I'm usually disappointed.)

hondo
31-08-2013, 22:21
Can't fault the Corner Pin, but the Plough (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/33883/) is a much better pub than either the Salutation or the Cask Corner, IMHO. Or how about a brisk stroll across the bridge to the Three Horseshoes (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/33940/)?

And three 'Spoons within walking distance? Why not save the walk and have three drinks in one 'Spoons? (Sorry, but I only go in a 'Spoons if there's nothing else available, and even then I'm usually disappointed.)

Just trying to maximise potential different beers in a limited time

Strongers
01-09-2013, 01:37

Just trying to maximise potential different beers in a limited time

I'm a pub ticker so after being kicked out of the hotel at 10am I'll be making a beeline for the Spoons for breakfast and a couple of early beers before the proper :eek: pubs open!

Bucking Fastard
01-09-2013, 10:53
I, too, am on the 09:35 (arr 11:48) and almost went for the 19:15 rtn, but allowed some stagger time to find the 19:45. Sorry Gann, but they gave me E18!!

I have booked mine today regardless if my attendance is not confirmed yet..
9.35AM out of Kings X and 19.15 back and seat E17 on both if anyone wants to have the pleasure of my company for two hours

I'm getting on at Stevenage at 9.54 on the same train that arrives in Leeds at 11.48.Seat E10.

Decided to just make a day of it ,so returning on the 19.15.Please wake up the old drunk in seat E8 just before Stevenage;)

gillhalfpint
01-09-2013, 17:35
If we get the 10.03 from Birmingham getting to Leeds 12.01 on one train it costs £74.10 for 2 returns or £68.60 for 4 singles.

If we buy:
Off Peak Returns Birmingham to Derby
Derby Wayfarer to Sheffield
Off Peak Returns Sheffield to Leeds

we can travel on the same train for £45.50 for the 2 of us.

Will pop into New Street tomorrow armed with times and fares and see how we get on.

trainman
01-09-2013, 17:55
Coach takes 3hrs, but, if you could cope with that Gill, megabus tickets are available at £1ew from Birmingham Hill St

Al 10000
01-09-2013, 18:12
If we get the 10.03 from Birmingham getting to Leeds 12.01 on one train it costs £74.10 for 2 returns or £68.60 for 4 singles.

If we buy:
Off Peak Returns Birmingham to Derby
Derby Wayfarer to Sheffield
Off Peak Returns Sheffield to Leeds

we can travel on the same train for £45.50 for the 2 of us.

Will pop into New Street tomorrow armed with times and fares and see how we get on.

Hi Gill,

If you wait a while to book your tickets from Birmingham to Derby you should get them for £7.00 each way,i have just had a look for late September and these fares apply to the 9.30, 9.44 and 10.03, the same from Derby at 19.29, 1936, 1954 and 20.28, if you try too book for November now it will be almost full price.

The Derbyshire Wayfarer costs £5.80 for over 60s but you will have to buy this ticket from a library or train station within Derbyshire.

gillhalfpint
01-09-2013, 18:12
Thanks. I forgot about them. Having a look to check times. We used them to London once, and they caused an uproar on the way back as the loo wasn't working and it didn't want folk to use the loo in the services when they changed drivers, and some of them were carrying on to Edinburgh.

Apart from that they were fine.

gillhalfpint
01-09-2013, 18:14
I buy my Derby wayfarers half a dozen at a time from Matlock if I cannot get to library in Derby for them. Last lost cost me £5.55 each and still have a few years on them.

Checked Megabus and it is £13 each way, and we would have to leave Leeds at 18.20 as the bus after that would be a £15 taxi ride home.

I never seem to get these £1 tickets that others get on National Express either. Think it might be the train.

The Off Peak Return Birmingham to Derby for us is coming up as £10.25 each so ok.

Oggwyn Trench
01-09-2013, 18:39
Booked the day off , just trying to find the best value route , normal way would be Telford , Birmingham , Leeds , but Telford , Shrewsbury , Manchester , Leeds is coming up a bit cheaper and a bit quicker , will keep on looking .

trainman
01-09-2013, 19:42
I

Checked Megabus and it is £13 each way,
That's odd - there is one tkt still there at £1ew, and the next band(s) would usually be £5, £7, £10 - so the jump to £12 is a bit odd. Restrictive on times tho, as you say..

Booked the day off , just trying to find the best value route , normal way would be Telford , Birmingham , Leeds , but Telford , Shrewsbury , Manchester , Leeds is coming up a bit cheaper and a bit quicker , will keep on looking .
I don't see less than £24.50ew - via Brum? In fact, that's cheaper than actually starting from Brum??? Bizarre!
That pesky Peak District kinda gets in the way of cross country travel...

gillhalfpint
01-09-2013, 20:48
To save me going back through all the pages and posts, does anyone have a rough idea of the plan for the day. I have seen some Doncaster but they are for the overnighters I believe.

Is there a running order of the Leeds plan?

Mobyduck
01-09-2013, 20:53
To save me going back through all the pages and posts, does anyone have a rough idea of the plan for the day. I have seen some Doncaster but they are for the overnighters I believe.

Is there a running order of the Leeds plan?
Page 4, post 38.

gillhalfpint
01-09-2013, 21:23
Thanks. I have it all saved and getting them mapped out.

Dave M
03-09-2013, 18:52
Got my tickets sorted and will be arriving at 11:01 leaving at 20:11

gillhalfpint
03-09-2013, 18:55
Got my tickets and arrive 12.01 and leave 19.11.

Strongers
03-09-2013, 23:14
I'm in seat E17 on the way there... Don't worry Gann I'm not sitting on your lap, I'm on the train before so should arrive around 11:20. Train leaves for Doncaster at 20:45 so a good nine hours on the ale... Happy daze!!!

aleandhearty
05-09-2013, 10:00
The first pub on the itinerary, the Scarbrough Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42913/), is currently closed for a £300k refurb and due to re-open on Sept 25th. Be interesting to see what they do to the old girl.

oldboots
01-10-2013, 22:46
The first pub on the itinerary, the Scarbrough Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42913/), is currently closed for a £300k refurb and due to re-open on Sept 25th. Be interesting to see what they do to the old girl.

Opening October 3rd apparently...I should be able to check before the 22nd

Quinno
02-10-2013, 12:27
due to circumstances I'm looking unlikely to make this one... :(

RogerB
02-10-2013, 12:31
All booked up. Going up on the Thursday morning arriving 12.17. Staying at Ibis Hotel. Neds Atomic Dustbin / Cud / Republica gig at O2 Academy in the evening and then available for the full Friday session the next day. Returning on the 19.45. Fares + hotel + gig = £71. Beer and food probably twice as much!

Pubsignman
03-10-2013, 00:40
I've just returned from two days in Leeds, primarily to watch the football although I did find time to take in 18 pubs, none of which are on the main part of the proposed November crawl. The standard was pretty high across all the pubs I visited, so it's quite exciting to think that there is better still to come. Highlights were The Cross Keys, Hop, Friends of Ham, Town Street Tavern in Horsforth and the newly opened Kirkstall Bridge Inn in Kirkstall.

It's pretty much certain that I can make the November meet-up, so I'll try to get trains and hotel sorted - I was in the Ibis last night. It's cheap, handy for the city centre, extremely basic and has a bar next door with three decent ales.

oldboots
08-10-2013, 18:04
Mainly dross I couldn't care less about but there's a couple of Leeds pubs that people might be interested to hear about in view of the forthcoming PuG event

PUB OF THE YEAR IN ASSOCIATION WITH HILLS FINE FOOD
A good pub is so much more than its bar and beer; this is for the hostelry that offers innovative food, first-class facilities and friendship by the barrel.

Friends of Ham (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/77983/)

DINING PUB OF THE YEAR IN ASSOCIATION WITH MOET AND CHANDON
For a ground-breaking inn pushing the boundaries of pub food with sensational seasonal menus and well kept ales, bringing the best of fine dining into the friendly and informal pub environment.

The Reliance (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65764/)

ROBCamra
08-10-2013, 20:06
Love them both. :cheers:

The Beaujolais day has just been annouced at The Baum, it's 21st November.

Oh God my poor liver. :sick:

ROBCamra
05-11-2013, 13:54
Well for the first time ever I've managed to book online with Northern Rail for Advance tickets for Rochdale - Leeds.

It normally says not available whenever I've tried to book.

Arriving 11:33, returning 19:08.

After the Beaujolais day at The Baum the day before I think 7 hours on the razz should be enough. :sick::evilgrin:

Soup Dragon
05-11-2013, 14:55
I am now looking into whether I can get to Leeds for this meet - has an itinerary been drawn-up - also, who are actually going??????

ROBCamra
05-11-2013, 15:32
I am now looking into whether I can get to Leeds for this meet - has an itinerary been drawn-up - also, who are actually going??????

Post 38 for the itinerary.

Dave M
05-11-2013, 15:39
Just checked through the thread and a rough guide to likely attendees is as follows:-
AEM
AleandHearty
Bucking Fastard 11:48 19:15
Dave M 11:01 20:11
FatBeerBadger
Gann 11:48 19:15
Gillhalfpint 12:01 19:11
Oggwyn Trench 10:52/11:22 19:11/20:11
Old Boots
PubSignMan 13:00
Real Ale Fiona
Real Ale Ray
ROBCamra 11:33 19:08
RogerB Early 19:45
SheffieldHatter
Strongers 11:20 20:45
Trainman 11:48 19:45

Not sure about yet
Mobyduck
Soup Dragon

Unlikely to make it
Quinno

In need of some gentle encouragement?!
Al 10000
Hondo

The itinerary has been put together into a handy pdf by Mr Hatter.

Mobyduck
05-11-2013, 18:44
Just checked through the thread and a rough guide to likely attendees is as follows:-
AEM
AleandHearty
Oggwyn Trench
Old Boots
PubSignMan
SheffieldHatter

Not sure about yet
Mobyduck
Soup Dragon

Unlikely to make it
Quinno

Al 10000
Hondo

I'm leaving it to the last minute but its beginning to look unlikely for this one.

Oggwyn Trench
05-11-2013, 18:55
Was looking a bit doubtfull for me as i am a bit skint , but the next module of my Driver CPC has been put back till January so the £65 i am saving can pay for the train fare , breakfast and the first pint or two :D
I will arive between 10-52 , 11-22 depending on what time i can persuade the Mrs to drop me off at the station , return 19-11 .......... or maybe 20-11 depending on sobriety :nishelypished:

Real Ale Ray
05-11-2013, 22:23

Yam-Yam Ray defo going (and also maybe that woman that keeps following me around!)

Al 10000
06-11-2013, 17:18
Al 10000
Hondo

Thank you Dave for considering me for one of the Pubs Galore bi-annual piss ups.

I had made rough plans to go,no pre booking and just over £20 from my house to get there,a nice early start to do all the Spoons in Leeds before the main piss up.

But i had this crappy operation and had four weeks off work on basic sick pay,so it has put a strain on our money.

I will look if there are any other piss ups with a decent amount of new pubs for me to do in the future,that dont cost too much in transport costs.

oldboots
15-11-2013, 12:12
Just to bounce the thread up the list as we are now a week away and for anyone in Leeds on the Thursday night or Saturday a list of more unusual beery things in the City,

http://leeds-list.com/10-beers-to-try-before-you-die/

trainman
15-11-2013, 21:22
So, it's looking like another 16-20 beer-minded folk again? Amazing!
Looking back through the thread, I have to be feeling for 'ROB', who is heading to Leeds on the back of his annual Beaujolais (+ale) day, oh dear..!!

Mobyduck
16-11-2013, 00:23
Cant make it this time unfortunately. Enjoy yourselves.:drinkup:

Strongers
16-11-2013, 14:59
It just took me half an hour to find my train tickets! Thankfully they weren't thrown away or eaten by one of the demented women that I live with.

an_ecumenical_matter
16-11-2013, 18:00
AEM
AleandHearty
Oggwyn Trench
Old Boots
PubSignMan
SheffieldHatter

Not sure about yet
Mobyduck
Soup Dragon

Unlikely to make it
Quinno

Al 10000
Hondo

Add FatBeerBadger to that list !!! The double bed Friday night should be interesting.............

Pubsignman
17-11-2013, 21:24
Unfortunately, I'm going to be arriving late for this one - judging by the itinerary, I'll be aiming to meet you all in The Adelphi, just after 13:00. To make up for this, I've decided to book myself a hotel for the weekend, which should allow me to make up for lost time (and some!).

gillhalfpint
17-11-2013, 23:39
As our train is due in at 12.01 and you are moving on to the Grove for 12.30, I am wondering if we should go straight to the Grove as you will likely be leaving the Scarbrough Hotel by the time we get there. We have been to the Scarbrough before, so if timing will be tight, we don't mind if we have to miss it out.

sheffield hatter
18-11-2013, 08:38
As our train is due in at 12.01 and you are moving on to the Grove for 12.30, I am wondering if we should go straight to the Grove as you will likely be leaving the Scarbrough Hotel by the time we get there. We have been to the Scarbrough before, so if timing will be tight, we don't mind if we have to miss it out.

If your train's on time you should have time for a half in the Scarbrough, as I don't expect we'll be moving on until about 12.30. If you haven't arrived by the time we leave we'll expect to see you in the Grove.

gillhalfpint
18-11-2013, 09:22
If your train's on time you should have time for a half in the Scarbrough, as I don't expect we'll be moving on until about 12.30. If you haven't arrived by the time we leave we'll expect to see you in the Grove.

Sounds good to me. If we are not at the Scarbrough by 12.30, we will be at the Grove and catch up with you all there.

Bucking Fastard
18-11-2013, 13:31
Just been doing some research on this excellent itinerary and noticed that The Garden Gate website www.gardengateleeds.co.uk is saying this pub is closed for a refurb,reopening in early 2014.Is this correct ?

sheffield hatter
18-11-2013, 13:53
Just been doing some research on this excellent itinerary and noticed that The Garden Gate website www.gardengateleeds.co.uk is saying this pub is closed for a refurb,reopening in early 2014.Is this correct ?

B*gg*r!

Well spotted, saves us a wasted bus journey.

ROBCamra
18-11-2013, 14:10

There will be hell to pay if it's not a very sympathetic refurb. :mad:

aleandhearty
18-11-2013, 15:22

Well spotted BF. Apparently the boiler has packed up and other repairs need doing. More info here:

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/time-at-historic-leeds-pub-but-just-for-repairs-1-6224789

Gann
19-11-2013, 12:36
"One regular visitor and active member of the Campaign for Real Ale, who wished to remain anonymous, said: “If that pub were to go it would be an absolute travesty.""

I didn't put you down as the shy type A&H.......:)

Real Ale Ray
20-11-2013, 23:56
Presume the Scarborough is the meeting point for the crawl? What time?

oldboots
21-11-2013, 08:31
Presume the Scarborough is the meeting point for the crawl? What time?

The Scarbrough opposite the station is the meeting point - it opens at 10 and most people will arrive between 11 and 12 then we're off to the Grove about 12:30. Full itinerary at post 38.

Real Ale Ray
21-11-2013, 10:30
The Scarbrough opposite the station is the meeting point - it opens at 10 and most people will arrive between 11 and 12 then we're off to the Grove about 12:30. Full itinerary at post 38.

Cheers OB

Dave M
21-11-2013, 10:57
Has anyone given any thought as to where we get the usual team photo? :)

oldboots
21-11-2013, 14:24
Has anyone given any thought as to where we get the usual team photo? :)

Possibly the Victorian splendour of Victoria Family & Commercial Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42987/) - indoors for a change given the weather! or perhaps the Art Deco/mock tudor splendour of Templar Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42952/) in case it gets pulled down next year, or the yard outside Whitelocks First City Luncheon Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54017/)

Soup Dragon
21-11-2013, 15:56
Just to say that I will have to pass on this one - have a good time one and all.

trainman
21-11-2013, 19:04
Just to say that I will have to pass on this one - have a good time one and all.
Yeah, yeah.
Seriously, how long will we have to wait for a fashionably late arrival..?

oldboots
21-11-2013, 20:36
Yeah, yeah.
Seriously, how long will we have to wait for a fashionably late arrival..?

Soup Dragon, fashionably..... ?@!? you don't often find those words in one thought :D

sheffield hatter
21-11-2013, 22:08
Possibly the Victorian splendour of Victoria Family & Commercial Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42987/) - indoors for a change given the weather! or perhaps the Art Deco/mock tudor splendour of Templar Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42952/) in case it gets pulled down next year, or the yard outside Whitelocks First City Luncheon Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54017/)

...or all three?

Quinno
21-11-2013, 23:53
sometimes things seem to work out...I've got a stinking cold! Have a great time oop Nurff everyone.

Dave M
22-11-2013, 08:01
Just got on my train, safe journeys everyone - see you all soon!

trainman
22-11-2013, 08:09
sometimes things seem to work out...I've got a stinking cold! Have a great time oop Nurff everyone.
...not always for the better!
Hope you're back in form soon Quinno; we'll have a pint of Ecky Thump, or summat similar, on your behalf.

sheffield hatter
22-11-2013, 08:59
... we'll have a pint of Ecky Thump, or summat similar, on your behalf.

It's not what it used to be, since it became a national brand, big advertising campaign, changed the recipe to remove all the taste - you know how it goes. :(

Grin Oop North! :D

gillhalfpint
22-11-2013, 10:14
Birmingham New St chaos. Running late.

gillhalfpint
22-11-2013, 10:35
On 10.03 from New Street, but still on platform in Birmingham. Will check where you are when we get there. Probably head straight for Grove.

RogerB
22-11-2013, 10:43
Spoons brekky and first pint already downed! Will have a wander and head for the Scarborough for around 11.45. If I don't see any of you there I'll be in the Grove for 12.30.

Soup Dragon
22-11-2013, 10:46
Writing-up a depressing visit to Edgbaston and Quinton.... no beer.... miserable.

gillhalfpint
22-11-2013, 11:09
Just leaving so eta 13.10. Will go to Grove then catch you up.

oldboots
22-11-2013, 11:16
On the bus but 20 mins late should be in Scarbrough by noon

Dave M
22-11-2013, 11:29
Train getting in about 45 minutes late. Should also reach pub around noon

gillhalfpint
22-11-2013, 11:55
Our train not going to Leeds now due to being so late. We have to get off at Sheffield and catch one there.

sheffield hatter
22-11-2013, 21:27
Our train not going to Leeds now due to being so late. We have to get off at Sheffield and catch one there.

Glad you caught up with us in the end - we had a great day out in Leeds.

gillhalfpint
22-11-2013, 23:22
It was a fantastic day, and yes, we did get a Midnight Bell in the Tap before catching the train home. Thanks for showing us the way.

Bucking Fastard
23-11-2013, 09:30
Hope everybody got back safely to where ever they were heading.I had asked Gann to wake me up just before Stevenage but in the end the snoring noises were coming from his seat !

Good to see the regulars and to meet up with fat beer badger for the first time.

Head not in too bad shape,must be the quality ale to thank for that.

Looking forward to the next one..............................

gillhalfpint
23-11-2013, 09:47
I'm about to do my reviews, but being in the company of so many descriptive experts, I will keep mine short and sweet and leave the best for you all.

We had 12 beers new to us yesterday, and our favourites funnily enough were our first and last beers. Collingham Winter Warmer in the Grove Inn and Leeds Midnight Bell in the Tap.

It is always great to have a meet up like this, and will look forward to the next one too. Happy Christmas!!!

trainman
23-11-2013, 09:52
Good pubs, good beer, good company.
Bad head... would be the usual consequence but, as BF says, maybe the quality ale is my salvation today as don't feel too too bad.
The monster crabs, for my first attempt at crab cakes tonight, look something of a challenge though. If I'm missing a couple of digits at the next meet, you know why.

trainman
23-11-2013, 09:55
We had 12 beers new to us yesterday, and our favourites funnily enough were our first and last beers. Collingham Winter Warmer in the Grove Inn and Leeds Midnight Bell in the Tap.

Rather surprised you'd not had Midnight Bell before Gill, Ding Dong!

gillhalfpint
23-11-2013, 10:55
Rather surprised you'd not had Midnight Bell before Gill, Ding Dong!

We have had Midnight Bell before, one of our favourites which is why we dashed into the Tap on our way to the station as we had not seen it around the other pubs. I hadn't written that very well. Those two were our favourites of the day.

Oggwyn Trench
23-11-2013, 11:13
A very good day out in good company and lots of good beer , feel OK this morning even after sharing a bottle of Proseco with some young ladies on the train to Manchester ;):D

Strongers
23-11-2013, 11:21
Well I made it to Donny... and found the key under the plant pot outside Creaky Hotel last night. I decided to give Silver Street the swerve. In the Red Lion Spoons with the shakes at the mo. I think an emergency evacuation in the gents is imminent.

Great day yesterday and already looking forward to the next one.

Strongers
23-11-2013, 11:49
I was correct... feeling much better. Off to the Corner Pin in a while so that Will doesnt beat me to death. ;)

sheffield hatter
23-11-2013, 12:46
Off to the Corner Pin in a while so that Will doesnt beat me to death. ;)

I know I was enthusiastic about the Corner Pin (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/33789/), but don't remember making any threats! Hope you enjoy your day out in sunny Donny.

Strongers
23-11-2013, 12:56
Only pulling your leg...

The map facility isn't showing pubs so I'm walking a bit blind. Managed to find some medicre pubs today but keep walking down the same streets! On the Fosters in a shopping centre local boozer at the moment, reminds me of Kilburn.

trainman
23-11-2013, 13:47
On the Fosters in a shopping centre local boozer at the moment...

Eh? Noooo!!!!!

Strongers
23-11-2013, 13:58
Loving the aussie brew...

It's so much friendlier up in these here lands... I've chatted with more locals today than I did doing 700 pubs in East Sussex. Being a born and bred southern tosser I feel embarrassed at our lack of comradery.

Up the north!

Real Ale Ray
24-11-2013, 09:15
Great to see everyone on Friday, we really enjoyed it. Just about remember being at the Brewery Tap, but was too far gone so had to bail out. Had another good days walkabout yesterday, found a couple of gems, one of which was this one Fox & Newt (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42711/) also this one The Hop (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/69010/)

Heading back home today - the liver can't handle much more. See you all in Worcester!

gillhalfpint
24-11-2013, 15:22
I did the Hop on our last Leeds crawl. Another close to the station.

oldboots
24-11-2013, 16:33
I did the Hop on our last Leeds crawl. Another close to the station.

Network Rail / Leeds City Council keep talking about an entrance at that end so the Hop Grove Midnight Bell will all in easier reach

aleandhearty
24-11-2013, 17:53
I think it's fair to say the Leeds trip was another classic Pug day out. Really good to see everyone and particularly glad that Gill, Ray, AEM and Fat Beer Badger made it in the end. As the beers start to take their toll, it's amazing how quickly these days fly by! I'd echo trainman and the Cap'n regarding the lack of a hangover, just a bit fuzzy round the edges yesterday. We didn't seem to have too many pictures taken this time, but I hope there's enough for a decent gallery. Will and Gill?

sheffield hatter
24-11-2013, 18:56
We didn't seem to have too many pictures taken this time, but I hope there's enough for a decent gallery. Will and Gill?

Sorry, didn't bring my camera because I've already photographed all the pubs, and my camera's not very good for indoors.

oldboots
24-11-2013, 19:23
Here's a few pics from the Adelphi and the Templar, if Roger managed to fix
his camera there may be more...

Real Ale Ray
24-11-2013, 21:02
Some shaky group ones in here...

Real Ale Ray
24-11-2013, 21:23
987 988 989 990 991 992

gillhalfpint
24-11-2013, 22:07
Great photos. We are in the caravan at Cheltenham till Tuesday, and although I have my camera, I haven't got the lead to load the photos, and will have to check how to load them. I see there is an insert image, reckon I'll cope ok when I get home.

aleandhearty
26-11-2013, 14:33
Ray and 'ob' thanks for the photos. I don't remember being snapped at all! Love the third group shot in #148, where Strongers looks as though he's just finished a pint of chilli stout! :D

trainman
26-11-2013, 18:14
Ray and 'ob' thanks for the photos. I don't remember being snapped at all! Love the third group shot in #148, where Strongers looks as though he's just finished a pint of chilli stout! :D
Aah, I see it now, or maybe DragonSlayer...

trainman
26-11-2013, 20:53
feel OK this morning even after sharing a bottle of Proseco with some young ladies on the train to Manchester ;):D

Erm, I presume you inveigled their bottle, rather than carrying the handy-prosecco on board yerself?

See you all in Worcester!

Eh? I heard a couple of votes for Derby, but don't recall Worcester getting in the mix? Although, I haven't been there...
s'all good.

sheffield hatter
27-11-2013, 02:03
Eh? I heard a couple of votes for Derby, but don't recall Worcester getting in the mix? Although, I haven't been there...
s'all good.

See the early part of this thread, up to about #25, for discussion of Worcester as a possibility for the next meet up. Perhaps someone should start a new thread...

gillhalfpint
27-11-2013, 14:02
One of our local CAMRA branches is doing a pub crawl of Worcester on 7th Dec, and we will likely go and see what is on offer as we haven't been for years.

an_ecumenical_matter
27-11-2013, 15:23
A great selection of bandits in those pictures !!!! An excellent day in the field. I went in a kebab shop for sustenance, came out and couldn't find the Leeds Tap where it all finished up !!! So that was the end, or at least I think. FBB went back out later to some dubious lager pubs and was sick as a small hospital Saturday morning !

gillhalfpint
27-11-2013, 16:12
Right, I have my photos loaded. Having a go at getting them on here. I get insert image, browse, but once I have picture 1 there is nothing to click to either load it up or get the next one. Anyone help please. Hit upload files, but that hasn't put it on.

oldboots
27-11-2013, 17:56
Right, I have my photos loaded. Having a go at getting them on here. I get insert image, browse, but once I have picture 1 there is nothing to click to either load it up or get the next one. Anyone help please. Hit upload files, but that hasn't put it on.

hit the insert image icon (drawing of a tree in a box with a dot at each corner), select the From Computer tab, then the Select Files button at the bottom, you should now get a browsable list of the files on your PC, select the chosen picture and then the Upload Files button. if that doesn't work try the Basic Uploader link then Browse, select the required file and then Upload File (s).

Here's one I prepared earlier, special prize if you can guess who it is and why I have a picture like this :confused:

gillhalfpint
27-11-2013, 18:52
When I get from computer tab, I have no select files option. I have a browse button and can bring up my photos and select one, but there is no ok or save and the upload files isn't uploading them. I don't have a simple uploader on here that I can find. Stuck.

Strongers
27-11-2013, 19:33
When I get from computer tab, I have no select files option. I have a browse button and can bring up my photos and select one, but there is no ok or save and the upload files isn't uploading them. I don't have a simple uploader on here that I can find. Stuck.

I've not tried uploading picures to the forum for a while. The last time I tried I had the same problem Gill has highlighted.

trainman
27-11-2013, 20:04
After insert image, (from computer tab) click on narrative 'basic uploader' (bottom rt) then browse, and you should be able to navigate to your computer pics from there...

gillhalfpint
27-11-2013, 21:05
I don't have basic uploader. Apart from the box that comes up, the rest of the screen is white - blank. Guess I'll have to pass on this one.

trainman
27-11-2013, 21:49
So you don't see this when you first get in there Gill..?

sheffield hatter
27-11-2013, 22:12
So you don't see this when you first get in there Gill..?

I click on the manage attachments button below the text box. This brings up a sort of dialogue box (see attached image). Click on choose file to find the file/photos, then click on upload.

gillhalfpint
27-11-2013, 22:17
Below are the only words copied from the box I get.

Insert Image
X
From ComputerFrom URL

Add an Image from your computer

Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif

Upload File(s)

oldboots
28-11-2013, 08:38
I don't have basic uploader. Apart from the box that comes up, the rest of the screen is white - blank. Guess I'll have to pass on this one.

I had a similar problem which I found was related to Flash, specialist help required I fear.