PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 7th July 2013)

ROBCamra
02-07-2013, 15:31
Real Ale Ray: Elmtree Burston's Cuckoo
Aqualung: Milestone Raspberry Wheat
Bucking Fastard: Firestone Walker American Independence Pale Ale
Oggwyn Trench: Wye Valley Dorothy Goodbody's Ocean Wave
london calling: Bellville Thames Surfer IPA
Mobyduck: Dark Star American Pale Ale
Wittenden: Dark Star Genesis
aleandhearty: Fullers Wild River
Thuck Phat: Downton Nelson's Delight
oldboots: Marble Dobber
ROBCamra: XT XPA

Real Ale Ray
07-07-2013, 13:35
Elmtree - Burston's Cuckoo

Aqualung
07-07-2013, 15:37
A mixed selection this week, only the Brodie's, Twickenham and Milestone were in really good nick.

Redemption Rock The Kazbec 4.0%
Freeminer Iron Brew 4.2%
Twickenham Hornet 4.4%
Clarence & Frederick's American Pale Ale 4.5%
Twickenham Pale Beauty 4.7%
Clarence & Frederick's IPA 5.2%
RCH Double Header 5.3%
Milestone Raspberry Wheat 5.6%
London Fields Shoreditch Triangle 6.0%
Brodie's Hoxton Special IPA 6.6%
Brodie's Simcoe For Breakfast (Keykeg) 10.1%

The winner is the Milestone Raspberry Wheat in the Leyton King William IV at £2.60. I'm not a big fan of wheat beer generally and fruit flavoured beers can be quite hit and miss, but I really liked this one. Given that it was clear I'm assuming it's a "Hybrid" rather than a full wheat beer. The raspberry flavour was subtle but detectable which made for a thoroughly enjoyable drink, especially after the rank pint that preceded it in a North London Spoons.

BOTW Milestone Raspberry Wheat

Bucking Fastard
07-07-2013, 16:00
Solid drinking week and managed to celebrate finishing the paint job on the boat.

Marston's -Pedigree
Wye Valley - HPA
Dancing Duck - Amberillo
Lymestone - Foundation Stone
Firestone Walker Brewing Co. -American Independence Pale Ale
Fullers - London Pride
Stonehouse - Station Bitter
Liberation Brewery - Liberation Ale

BOTW by a long chalk was Firestone Walker American Independence Pale Ale 5% a collaboration ale brewed by Adnams exclusively for Wetherspoons to celebrate 4th July and sunk in The Acorn ,Lichfield.A very fine American Pale Ale not dissimilar to Dark Star's APA,possibly this category of ale deserves it's own appreciation thread like India Pale Ales (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?9073-IPA-s-The-Good-The-Bad-and-The-Ugly)

Oggwyn Trench
07-07-2013, 16:25
Only one night drinking Ale , Saturday was spent drinking Becks Vier outside a Beefeater watching the planes go by:D

Buntingford - Centennial
White Rose - Summer Hoppiness
Kelham Island - Sweet Home Alabama
Allgates - Gin Pit
Redwillow - Headless
Wye Valley - Dorothy Goodbodies , Ocean Wave

BOTW Wye Valley - Dorothy Goodbodies , Ocean Wave

london calling
07-07-2013, 20:59
21 different beers this week inc a Greene King -ipa (not bad )No real stand-outs at the Ealing beer fest.
So Bellville -Thames Surfer ipa at the White Horse is the winner

Mobyduck
07-07-2013, 22:06
Another light week variety wise,
Darkstar Hophead
Darkstar American Pale Ale
Portobello Star
Portabello Pale
Butcombe Bitte
Skinners Betty Stogs

The standout beer this week was Darkstar American Pale Ale

Aqualung
07-07-2013, 23:22
21 different beers this week inc a Greene King -ipa (not bad )No real stand-outs at the Ealing beer fest.
So Bellville -Thames Surfer ipa at the White Horse is the winner

I remember years ago going to a GBG listed Gray's pub somewhere East of Chelmsford and being taken aback as to how good it was. The trouble with beers like Pride, GK IPA and Doombar is not so much that they are "bad" beers, but they are so commonplace and many of the pubs that sell them either don't or can't (because they don't sell enough) look after them.

The Genie is out of the bottle now with the explosion of new breweries in London, so I will never feel the need to ever visit a pub selling boring (although it might still be crap as I discovered on Friday!) beer ever again.

Wittenden
08-07-2013, 09:04
I remember years ago going to a GBG listed Gray's pub

The Genie is out of the bottle now with the explosion of new breweries in London, so I will never feel the need to ever visit a pub selling boring (although it might still be crap as I discovered on Friday!) beer ever again.

Ah Gray's-I went to Chelmsford on the eve of closure. Glorious beer especially the Stock.

I'd still go to a dull beer pub if the pub itself was excellent, and the beer in great condition. I don't rule out Sheps pubs-many are wonderful, even though modern Sheps isn't really memorable.

Wittenden
08-07-2013, 09:08
Quality not quantity in East Sussex
Dark Star-Genesis 4.7ABV a very dark ruby beer-is it a strong mild, is it a porter? Either way damn good.Rich and dry.
Hastings HPA 4.7ABV A vegan very hoppy slightly hazy Pale ale. A new brewery for me, and one to watch.

Very close, but my vote goes to Dark Star, but both are in the running for boty.

aleandhearty
08-07-2013, 09:56
Poor week for me. With all the beautiful weather over the weekend, only managed to snatch an hour in the pub, on Saturday evening. :(

Riverhead - Lavender Blonde.
Fullers - Wild River.
Arbor - Monsoon Saison.
Raw - Black Cherry Stout.

The Wild River was the pick of the bunch, but even then was end of barrel-ish. Not my finest week.

london calling
08-07-2013, 16:46
I remember years ago going to a GBG listed Gray's pub somewhere East of Chelmsford and being taken aback as to how good it was. The trouble with beers like Pride, GK IPA and Doombar is not so much that they are "bad" beers, but they are so commonplace and many of the pubs that sell them either don't or can't (because they don't sell enough) look after them.

I only had Gk -ipa as I wanted to see the British Lions thrash Australia and there are only a few pubs in Fulham with Sky..So it was that or golden hen.

Thuck Phat
09-07-2013, 11:19
Some good beer last week:
Wye Valley HPA
Dancing Duck Amberillo
Firestone Walker (brewed by Adnams) - American Independence Day Pale Ale
Downton Nelsons Delight
Hopback Summer Lightening

The American Independence Day PA was excellent, as BF has mentioned, and was possibly the best beer I've tried from Adnams. Mentions also for the Amberillo and ever excellent Summer Lightening. BOTW Downton Brewery Nelson's Delight. Another from the Hopback stable. Light amber, bitter and refreshing, apparently dark rum is used in its brewing but, on a hot day, my three pints perhaps went down too swiftly for me to notice this.

oldboots
10-07-2013, 15:37
late this week but a good number of beers, sadly the quality wasn't that great and there were two real mingers in there (recipe not condition) . BOTW Marble Dobber

Roosters YPA
Brass Castle Bad Kitty
Ilkley Summer
Hambleton Stallion
Hambleton Bitter
Saltaire Blonde
Firestone-Walker Pale Ale
Walls Northallerton Dark
Theakstons Rivers Answer
Theakstons Lightfoot
Theakstons XB
T Taylors Landlord
Barngates Catnap
Black Sheep Black Sheep Ale
York Guzzler
Bushys Piston Brew
Maxim Swedish Blonde
Wold Top Wold Gold
Treboom Yorkshire Sparkle
Roosters Yankee
Hardknott Cool Fusion
Marble Dobber

aleandhearty
10-07-2013, 16:44
late this week but a good number of beers, sadly the quality wasn't that great and there were two real mingers in there (recipe not condition) . BOTW Marble Dobber

Roosters YPA
Brass Castle Bad Kitty
Ilkley Summer
Hambleton Stallion
Hambleton Bitter
Saltaire Blonde
Firestone-Walker Pale Ale
Walls Northallerton Dark
Theakstons Rivers Answer
Theakstons Lightfoot
Theakstons XB
T Taylors Landlord
Barngates Catnap
Black Sheep Black Sheep Ale
York Guzzler
Bushys Piston Brew
Maxim Swedish Blonde
Wold Top Wold Gold
Treboom Yorkshire Sparkle
Roosters Yankee
Hardknott Cool Fusion
Marble Dobber

Much prefer your list, this week. Can we swap? Think you should name the two mingers.

oldboots
10-07-2013, 17:54
Much prefer your list, this week. Can we swap? Think you should name the two mingers.

You need to go to York more often, anyway here they are:

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1771-Bloody-Awful-Beer-Of-The-Week&p=56146#post56146

ROBCamra
17-07-2013, 15:31
XT XPA a dangerously drinkable IPA at 5.9% tried several times in The Baum of course.