PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 23rd June 2013)

ROBCamra
19-06-2013, 16:05
Bucking Fastard: Ringwood Fortyniner
Oggwyn Trench: Three Tuns Stout
Mobyduck: Surrey Hills Greensand IPA
Aqualung: Brodie's Hoxton Special IPA
gillhalfpint: Hunters Royal Hunt
london calling: Weird Beard Little Things That Kill IPA
oldboots: Kinver Light Railway
Real Ale Ray: Southport Golden Sands
Wittenden: Larkin's Traditional
Thuck Phat: Oakham Bishops Farewell
aleandhearty: Fullers Wild River
ROBCamra: Saltaire Stateside IPA

Bucking Fastard
23-06-2013, 16:37
Yes a very poor week ,only two pub visits.

Ringwood - Fortyniner
Hopback - Summer Lightening.

BOTW Ringwood Fortyniner in decent shape in the unlikely venue of The Honey Bee,Aylesbury the nearest pub to the office ,that's my excuse.

From famine to feast next week,more boat painting = more beer in Lichfield and then an end of week session in The Euston Tap.There must be a fine BOTW on the way:pray:

Oggwyn Trench
23-06-2013, 18:10
Bit of a heavy session yesterday :nishelypished::D

Three Tuns - Stout
Ludlow - Gold
Darkstar - Hophead
Bass
Blacksheep - Bitter
Byatts - Phoenix Gold
Chapel - Miracle
Doctor Mortons -Phone Dip
Blue Monkey - Amarillo
Bristol Beer Factory - Ultra Pale Ale

BOTW Three Tuns - Stout

Mobyduck
23-06-2013, 19:17
Robinsons -Uncle Sams
McMullen - Country Bitter
Portobello - Pale
Butcombe - Bitter
Surrey Hills - Shere Drop
Surrey Hills- Greensand IPA
Upham - Punter

BOTW - Surrey Hills Greensand IPA Fairly low ABV for an IPA at 4.6% ,but it packs an incredible flavour punch.

Aqualung
23-06-2013, 20:31
An average collection this week:-

Dark Star Hophead 3.6%
Sambrook's Pumphouse Pale Ale 4.2%
Arkell's Moonlight 4.5%
Redemption Hopspur 4.5%
Redemption Urban Dusk 4.6%
Beartown Black Bear 5.0%
Brodie's Old Street Pale Ale 5.0%
Moorhouse's Pendle Witches Brew 5.1%
Siren Soundwave IPA 5.6%
Brodie's Hoxton Special IPA 6.6%
Brodie's Romanov Stout (Keykeg) 12.1%

Hophead is one I haven't tried in many a year and I'm pleased to say that combined with Summer Meltdown last week my faith in this brewery has been completely restored after trying a couple that didn't impress during previous months.

The easy winner this week is the Brodie's Hoxton Special IPA on cask. It is normally only available on keykeg but I can see no justification for that at all as it made for a truly outstanding drink at £2.50 in the King William IV.

BOTW Brodie's Hoxton Special IPA

gillhalfpint
23-06-2013, 20:57
Not a bad week in Cornwall.

Backyard Blonde 4.1%
Robinsons Trooper4.8%
Dartmoor Jail Ale 4.8%
St Austell Proper Job 4.5%
St Austell Tribute 4.2%
McMullen Country Bitter 4.3%
Clearwater Devon Darter 4.5%
Dorset Piddle Silent Slasher 5.1%
Hunters Royal Hunt 5.5%
Hunters Full Bore 8%
Hook Norton Old Hooky 4.6%
Coastal English Garden Gold 6.5%
Hop Kettle Mississippi Mud Rye 4.9%
Penzance Brisons Bitter 4.5%
Sharps Amber Pilsner 3.9%
McMullen AK 3.7%

Hunters Royal Hunt at Watermill Lelant beer festival my BOTW.

london calling
23-06-2013, 21:31
Had some lovely beers this week.Do beers taste better when the weather is warm. Seem like that to me.
buxton -golden boar
adnams -fat sprat
5 points -porter no2
the next 3 were Awesome as the craft beer geeks say
howling hops -wit ipa
alpha state -citronvand
and the finest was from my local brewer
weird beard -little things that kill ipa 3.9(but truly an ipa)

oldboots
23-06-2013, 21:40
A fair mix this week

Leeds Vienna
Backyard Brewhouse Bitter
Hobsons Mild
Purity Mad Goose
Exmoor Gold
Kinver Light Railway
Oakham Citra
Rat Raw Rat
Arundel Black Stallion
Oakham Bishops Farewell
Oakham Inferno
Oakham Citra
Oakham Scarlett Macaw
Molson Coors Carling Lager (!)
Banks's Mild
Salamander Baldander
Purity UBU
Titanic Iceberg
Goose Eye Bitter

The Leeds Vienna seems to have lost a lot of its hoppiness from the last time I tried it. In spite of the presence of some Oakham beers, drunk at the incredible Bartons Arms BOTW for me was Kinver Light Railway although the Rat was close, can anyone guess my BABOTW?

Real Ale Ray
23-06-2013, 22:50
Southport Brewery - Golden Sands

Wittenden
23-06-2013, 23:51
Quiet and unadventurous, but two unplanned visits:
Harveys Sussex Best Bitter-as it should be.
Larkin's Traditional.3.4%abv, but what wonderful flavour, from the man who talks to his hops. My BOTW.
I was interested to see McMullen's mentioned, especially the AK, by two scribes.Desperately unfashionable, but I used to really like their beer several years ago, esp the AK.Haven't seen 'em for ages, though.

gillhalfpint
24-06-2013, 09:41
It surprised me to see McMullens here in Cornwall, not in one pub but two! I hadn't seen them for ages.

Thuck Phat
24-06-2013, 10:26
I was interested to see McMullen's mentioned, especially the AK, by two scribes.Desperately unfashionable, but I used to really like their beer several years ago, esp the AK.Haven't seen 'em for ages, though.

I think you're lucky to have missed it. Desperately undrinkable the last time I tried it.

BOTW Oakham Bishops Farewell. Acorn Sovereign, although a quality boring brown beer, just wasn't quite good enough.

aleandhearty
24-06-2013, 13:43
Steady week for me, with a mostly solid set of beers, but nothing that blew my socks off. Managed to try a couple of new breweries (Glastonbury and Plain), on a flying visit to London, but the beers weren't that great.

Fullers - Summer Ale.
Kirkstall - Pale Ale.
Rat - Black Rat.
Whitstable - Kentish Reserve.
Ossett - Sizzler.
Fernandes - Wakefield Pride.
Fernandes - Best MILD.
Fullers - Wild River.
Glastonbury - Pilton Pop.
Whitstable - EIPA.
Plain - Inspiration.
Westerham SPA.
XT - 8.

With honorable mentions for the Black Rat and Wakey Pride, this week's winner is Wild River. I'm becoming rather partial to Fullers take on an APA, brewed with Liberty, Cascade, Williamette and Chinook.

PaulOfHorsham
24-06-2013, 18:14
Wild River. I'm becoming rather partial to Fullers take on an APA, brewed with Liberty, Cascade, Williamette and Chinook.

Definitely a big improvement on last year's debut offering; this year I got the hops, which seemed so under-played last year.

aleandhearty
25-06-2013, 10:27
Definitely a big improvement on last year's debut offering; this year I got the hops, which seemed so under-played last year.

I think you're right. According to my beer list for 2012 I did actually try it, but don't remember doing so, so it must have been pretty forgettable.

PaulOfHorsham
25-06-2013, 18:38
I think you're right. According to my beer list for 2012 I did actually try it, but don't remember doing so, so it must have been pretty forgettable.

According to the thread Fuller's Wild River (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?11893-Fuller-s-Wild-River&highlight=wild+river), you and I tended to agree on the subject almost a year ago! It's ok - I'm not stalking :evilgrin: but I did remember some Wild River related chat from last year.

aleandhearty
26-06-2013, 16:35
According to the thread Fuller's Wild River (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?11893-Fuller-s-Wild-River&highlight=wild+river), you and I tended to agree on the subject almost a year ago! It's ok - I'm not stalking :evilgrin: but I did remember some Wild River related chat from last year.

OK, Paul. Now I'm really worried. It's bad enough not remembering trying the beer (although it was one of over 400 tasted in 2012) but to forget an entire thread...:eek: The alcohol induced neurone depletion is happening faster than I thought.

Mobyduck
27-06-2013, 20:56
Aqualing: Brodie's Hoxton Special IPA
Aqualing ??, I am now very worried that next week I will be Mobydick, :eek: :D

ROBCamra
28-06-2013, 07:59
Aqualing ??, I am now very worried that next week I will be Mobydick, :eek: :D

Ah, yes, that's my Aqualling spelling. :p

ROBCamra
30-06-2013, 15:52
BOTW Saltaire Stateside IPA tried several times in The Old Bell in Harrogate.

A bit of a hefty hoppy beer at 6%, but it went down very well with a trio of venison (steak, sausage & burger).

You need a strong tasting beer to go with a strong tasting meat like venison.

Runner up was Roosters Last Stand also in The Old Bell. :cheers: