PDA

View Full Version : An East London Perambulation

Millay
27-02-2010, 23:39
Here’s a link to a London pub crawl I did yesterday afternoon with a few mates. Don’t take any notice of the route on the map, no sane person would take that route.

An East London Perambulation (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/crawl/viewcrawl.php?crawl=487)

Oggwyn Trench
28-02-2010, 00:04
The last crawl of this type i undertook started in Wellington (the Plough) then moved to Shrewsbury (Salopian, Shrewsbury Hotel , Montgemerys Tower , Loggerheads , Yorkshire House , Hole in the Wall (why?)3 Fishes) and ended up in Oakengates (Station , Crown) 15 pints of real ale , 1 pint of crap Guiness and several Tequilas :nishelypished: woke up next morning with a bad head and dodgy tummy (had a kebab , so i was told) mate had 2 broken knuckles after trying to get off train at Wellington and door wouldnt open so he tried to punch his way out:rolleyes: Another one coming soon :eek:

Conrad
28-02-2010, 01:05
Fantastic use of the Pub Crawl tool, it is really nice to see it coming into its own.

RogerB
28-02-2010, 08:28
Here’s a link to a London pub crawl I did yesterday afternoon with a few mates. Don’t take any notice of the route on the map, no sane person would take that route.
An East London Perambulation (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/crawl/viewcrawl.php?crawl=487)

I have to say I think you could have found some better pubs with a bit more pre-crawl research and missing the Pride of Spitalfields was criminal!! Good to see the Still & Star in good form though - I haven't been there for years and it was always standard ales on my visits. Makes me want to have a quick trape around the area again myself.

Millay
28-02-2010, 10:38
I have to say I think you could have found some better pubs with a bit more pre-crawl research and missing the Pride of Spitalfields was criminal!!

I know Roger, and had it been me doing the planning we would have done. As we came out of the Ten Bells I was saying that we should seek out the Pride of Spitalfields but the advance party strode off up Commercial Road and the next thing I know we are heading into a bleeding bar/restaurant thing :(

Still, I did manage to convert a couple of usually FP drinkers to ale for the day. Plus I found a couple of new pubs as that's not an area I know well. Might do a bit more exploring around there, if this weather ever improves.

Manky Badger
28-02-2010, 11:17
As we came out of the Ten Bells I was saying that we should seek out the Pride of Spitalfields

I was in both of these places last Thursday.
You missed the better place...

Millay
28-02-2010, 11:30
I was in both of these places last Thursday.
You missed the better place...

Was that on your Jack the Ripper tour MB, how did you get on? I was expecting an update in your 'Whitechapel, Liverpool Street' thread.

Manky Badger
28-02-2010, 13:46
Was that on your Jack the Ripper tour MB, how did you get on? I was expecting an update in your 'Whitechapel, Liverpool Street' thread.

The tour was... not what I was expecting.
Pub-wise we found the Pride of Spitalfields and the Dispensary to be good, and the Ten Bells to be awful. And a lot of places that we didn't bother with, but we weren't really on a pub mission.
For the "Jack the Ripper" side of our trip, I was disappointed. Over the years pretty much the entire area has been bulldozed and rebuilt. And I would have expected the local council, or English Heritage or somebody to have put up some plaques in the area at sies of the murders. I have gone into more detail at mankybadger.blogspot.com if anyone finds themselves with a few spare minutes...

Conrad
28-02-2010, 14:18
The tour was... not what I was expecting.
Pub-wise we found the Pride of Spitalfields and the Dispensary to be good, and the Ten Bells to be awful. And a lot of places that we didn't bother with, but we weren't really on a pub mission.
For the "Jack the Ripper" side of our trip, I was disappointed. Over the years pretty much the entire area has been bulldozed and rebuilt. And I would have expected the local council, or English Heritage or somebody to have put up some plaques in the area at sies of the murders. I have gone into more detail at mankybadger.blogspot.com if anyone finds themselves with a few spare minutes...
Just to be an ass, this takes you directly to the post on the: Jack the Ripper crawl (http://mankybadger.blogspot.com/2010/02/25-february-2010-thursday-jack-ripper.html). I read it on the day and almost posted it into this thread, but am never quite comfortable with promoting other blogs in case that isn't what they want.

Been quite enjoying your blog, although it sounds like you have been a mixture of masochist and in the wars this week, hope the back pain is under control!

Manky Badger
28-02-2010, 20:18
Just to be an ass, this takes you directly to the post on the: Jack the Ripper crawl (http://mankybadger.blogspot.com/2010/02/25-february-2010-thursday-jack-ripper.html). I read it on the day and almost posted it into this thread, but am never quite comfortable with promoting other blogs in case that isn't what they want.

Feel free to post away :p