PDA

View Full Version : Closed maps visible on interactive map

bcfczuluarmy
13-06-2013, 23:37
Not sure if this is the correct place to post but is there anyway that the closed pub locations can be shown on the interactive map maybe as a red icon rather than green?

sheffield hatter
13-06-2013, 23:44
I asked Conrad about this a couple of years ago, and he wasn't keen on the idea. Muttered something about graphics not being his strong point, oh and perhaps more seriously he was concerned about cluttering the maps as more and more closed pubs get added. It would be nice to have as an option though, like it is in the lists. I guess it's a low priority - not all of us are massively into closed pubs.

bcfczuluarmy
13-06-2013, 23:57
I Know what you mean/appreciate the sentiments of those with power, but some pubs do reopen so it's nice to know ones that were in an area if unfamiliar with that area to maybe swing by and check out. I've expanded my quest into Glos, Wilts and Somerset by a large radius from Bristol so would be nice to easily identify closed pubs in areas unfamiliar to me from the list that I may miss. Suppose if nothing comes of it I'll just have to review all pubs in these area via the list and open the map and see what's what, would just be easier if the map could do it all.

Soup Dragon
14-06-2013, 15:08
he was concerned about cluttering the maps as more and more closed pubs get added.

I have noticed a lot of pubs being added as closed - i am doing the Wolvo area at the moment and lots were put on that were demolished in the 60s, and even older - i think the place for those is the Lost Pubs project. Fair enough if you went to them and have a photo of them before they went, but putting them on without a word of context/photo would lead to mayhem for those that may want to visit only to find it was knocked down and is under a ring road!

Mobyduck
14-06-2013, 20:23
I asked Conrad about this a couple of years ago, and he wasn't keen on the idea. Muttered something about graphics not being his strong point, oh and perhaps more seriously he was concerned about cluttering the maps as more and more closed pubs get added. It would be nice to have as an option though, like it is in the lists. I guess it's a low priority - not all of us are massively into closed pubs.

I have noticed a lot of pubs being added as closed - i am doing the Wolvo area at the moment and lots were put on that were demolished in the 60s, and even older - i think the place for those is the Lost Pubs project. Fair enough if you went to them and have a photo of them before they went, but putting them on without a word of context/photo would lead to mayhem for those that may want to visit only to find it was knocked down and is under a ring road!
Some kind of archive section /thread somewhere would be interesting to look at but closed pubs if they are beyond the point of no return serve no purpose on the main site. Forgive me if I am stating the obvious.

bcfczuluarmy
14-06-2013, 21:17
Sort of agree with Mobyduck's point pubs converted to houses, bulldozed for flats, turned into Tesco's etc should/could be moved, however they just remain as closed so you don't see them on the map/lists unless you highlight show closed pubs so what's the harm.

The point I'm getting at is what I call yo-yo pubs that flitter between being open and shut every so often. If these are marked as shut in an area that people are doing/have done they may not notice them and they may have reopened.

In response to Soup Dragon if people add pubs that shut more than say 10 years ago they do need to let people know/be removed by admin depending upon the checks they do once a new pub is suggested. Regarding the Bristol area and surrounding counties I know of a fair few pubs that have shut and been converted in the last decade or so that never made it on here but I've toyed with adding them and decided against it as they serve no purpose other than to maybe alert other locals to what used to be in the vicinity that they never knew about but may be interested to know once existed as a pub. For example I've seen pubs feature on TV programs that aren't on here especially if it's homes under the hammer.

Also in my job I can review surveys where by infrastructure is installed on or near pubs and I've wondered whether I should mark these shut if the survey informs me they are. However as I've never been/unlikely to ever go I'm reluctant to do so as the survey is only a snapshot of that day in time.

AlanH
19-06-2013, 01:56
On "What Pub", there is a closed pub button where they can be switched on or off by the user. Even open pubs can be switched off so closed pubs can be viewed on their own. I like this option.
On PuG, no two closed pubs can be shown on the same map. As closed pubs remain here as a feature, I would like to be able to view them together.