PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 9th June 2013)

ROBCamra
04-06-2013, 11:21
Mobyduck: Darkstar Hophead
Bucking Fastard: Titanic Pier 54
Aqualung: Otter Amber
Oggwyn Trench: Box Steam Golden Bolt
Real Ale Ray: Bowland Sky Dancer
london calling: Marstons Amarillo
Wittenden: Old Dairy Sun Top
hondo: Saltaire Blonde
Thuck Phat: Titanic Pier 54
aleandhearty: Five Towns Davy Jones Locker
oldboots: Old Bear Yorkshire Ale
ROBCamra: First Chop Hop

Mobyduck
09-06-2013, 16:40
Darkstar Hophead
Darkstar American Pale Ale
Portobello Pale
Caledonian XPA
Courage Best

Best beer this week has been the Hophead, expecting more variety and challengers next week with a trip to London on Saturday.

Bucking Fastard
09-06-2013, 19:08
Lichfield and a crawl around Oxford,somehow missing Oggy and Mrs Oggy judging by the reviews,led to a high rate of consumption.

Marston's - Pedigree
TT - Landlord
Backyard -Gold
Titanic - Pier 54
Shotover - Prospect
Vale - Black Beauty
Skinners - Betty Stogs
Brew Co. -Bitter
Beowulf -English Norseman
Sadlers -Elementis
White Horse -Village Idiot

Oxford didnt produce anything really outstanding and there was only ever going to be one winner of BOTW,Titanic Pier 54 an unexpected bonus for doing a walk through in The Gatehouse,a 'spoons in Lichfield.Dark brown with lots of malt on the nose and a beautifully balanced Titanic bitter finish,it whistled down for a 5.4%er.Another outstanding ale from Burslem ,and I suspect there will be another nomination coming along soon:whistle:

Aqualung
09-06-2013, 19:49
Another modest selection this week :-

Otter Amber 4.0%
Welton's Old Cocky 4.3%
Adnam's Ghost Ship 4.5%
Welton's Sun Oak Clog 4.6%
Brodie's Old Street Pale 5.0%
Ringwood Old Thumper 5.6%
Brentwood Chockwork Orange 6.5%
Brodie's Dalston Black IPA (Keykeg) 7.0%
Brodie's Big Mofo Stout (Keykeg) 10.5%

The winner is the weakest one, Otter Amber in great condition for £2.15 in the King's Ford. It's a pale orange beer with a superb hop flavour.

BOTW Otter Amber

Oggwyn Trench
09-06-2013, 19:53
A pretty good week ending up with a weekend in Oxford , i probally missed BF because i was being dragged around bloody Shoe Shops:eek: and only managed two pubs on Saturday Lunchtime :( made up for it later though:nishelypished:

Ringway - Best Bitter
Bird Brain - Puffin Ale
Empire - Gone Native
RAT - King Rat
Darkstar - American Pale
Tiny Rebel - CWCTH
Hook Norton - Old Hooky
Isle of Purbeck - Solar Power
Bath - Special
St Peters - Golden Ale
Oxford Ales - Pride of Oxfordshire
Vale - Black Beauty
Box Steam - Golden Bolt
Henley - Jailhouse
Skinners - Betty Stogs
Stonehenge - Eye Opener
White Horse - Village Idiot
Great Orme - Welsh Black
White Horse - Wayland Smithy
Sam Smiths - Sovereign(keg)
Bath - Summer Hare
Potbelly - Bejing Black

BOTW Box Steam - Golden Bolt with Great Orme - Welsh Black a close second

Real Ale Ray
09-06-2013, 21:32
Lots of choice this week, but one of my fave breweries gets it again - Bowland - Sky Dancer

london calling
09-06-2013, 22:28
A quiet week beer wise
lamb -one in the bush
brains -bragging rights
brains -touch paws engage
great yorkshire-firkin pale
anarchy -smoke bomb
so the best was
marstons -amerillo

Wittenden
09-06-2013, 23:17
Beer at a food fair:
Nelson-Dragon's Revenge 4.3%abv. Not one of my favourite Kent micros, but this was a serviceable Best;good malt with a bittersweet finish.
Old Dairy-Sun Top 3.8%abv.It made the sun shine for about thirty seconds! A good, session worthy hoppy pale ale. My BOTW.

hondo
10-06-2013, 08:06
Saltaire Brewery - Blonde

Thuck Phat
10-06-2013, 13:29
This week:
TT Landlord
Pedigree
Backyard Gold
Titanic Pier 54
Wadworths 6X - so poor I switched to Stella. :(
Oakham Bishops Farewell

As predicted by BF above who says it all, BOTW Titanic Pier 54.

aleandhearty
10-06-2013, 13:51
A change of plan over the weekend enabled me to meet up with 'oldboots', on Saturday and explore the beery delights (or not) of Castleford. On our travels, I tried the following:

Acorn - UK Cascade.
Titanic - Nautical MILD.
Ridgeside - Jailbreak. *
Hobsons - Town Crier. *
Ridgeside - Rushmore. *
Walls - Brewers Gold. *
Revolutions - Severin Dark MILD.
Camerons - Strongarm.
Atomic - Power.
Mallinsons - Wormhole.
Great Heck - Porter.
Great Heck - Golden Bull.
John Smiths - Cask Bitter. (A whole pint! :eek:)
Highland - Dark Munro MILD.
Five Towns - Davy Jones Locker.

* All from the wood, at the fabulous Junction, Castleford.

The easy winner was the Davy Jones Locker, a wonderfully aromatic copper coloured bitter.That's two on the bounce for Five Towns. Last week's BOTW was Monster Mash, a really tasty strong mild. Definitely one of my favourite micros. Incredible for a one man operation.

oldboots
10-06-2013, 16:36
A fair number sampled including as A&H says a few from the wood in the outstanding Junction in Castleford, surely a contender for Pub of the Month although it's early days and a trip to Brum beckons. Anyhoo BOTW was Old Bear Yorkshire Ale sampled in my vastly improved local 'spoons.

York Guzzler
Copper Dragon IPA
Copper Dragon Golden Pippin
Copper Dragon Scotts 1816
Leeds Pale
Old Bear Yorkshire Ale
Daleside Stout
T Taylors Landlord
Hambleton Stud
Bridgehouse Moorish Mild
Woods Shropshire Lass
Ridgeside Jailbreak
Ridgeside Rushmore
Walls Brewers Gold
John Smiths Cask
Camerons Strong Arm
Mallinsons Wormhole
Great Heck Golden Bull
Wadworths Red White & Brew
Ilkley Mary Jane
Goose Eye Chinook

Mobyduck
13-06-2013, 20:39
Lichfield and a crawl around Oxford,somehow missing Oggy and Mrs Oggy judging by the reviews,led to a high rate of consumption.

Marston's - Pedigree
TT - Landlord
Backyard -Gold
Titanic - Pier 54
Shotover - Prospect
Vale - Black Beauty
Skinners - Betty Stogs
Brew Co. -Bitter
Beowulf -English Norseman
Sadlers -Elementis
White Horse -Village Idiot

Oxford didnt produce anything really outstanding and there was only ever going to be one winner of BOTW,Titanic Pier 54 an unexpected bonus for doing a walk through in The Gatehouse,a 'spoons in Lichfield.Dark brown with lots of malt on the nose and a beautifully balanced Titanic bitter finish,it whistled down for a 5.4%er.Another outstanding ale from Burslem ,and I suspect there will be another nomination coming along soon:whistle:
B.F. Did you have the Whitehorse Village Idiot in the Royal Blenhim, Oxford If you did I'm surprised you wouldnt have found it outstanding ,as I have every time I've been in there , maybe it was somewhere else or just under par, or maybe it's a beer that just doesn't "float your boat" (pun intended) :D . I've always found it outstanding where ever I've tried it. :drinkup:

Bucking Fastard
14-06-2013, 13:10
B.F. Did you have the Whitehorse Village Idiot in the Royal Blenhim, Oxford If you did I'm surprised you wouldnt have found it outstanding ,as I have every time I've been in there , maybe it was somewhere else or just under par, or maybe it's a beer that just doesn't "float your boat" (pun intended) :D . I've always found it outstanding where ever I've tried it. :drinkup:

Yes it was in the Royal Blenheim and it was the last pint of the crawl,so my tastebuds may have been shot.However,and this is just a personal opinion,it did taste rather bland despite being clear and crisp.I didn't detect much hop character,it seemed like a standard session bitter.I suppose that I may just have been unlucky. Quoting from Genesis " I know what I like, and I like what I know " ,so a lack of boat floating possibly exposes my personal bias.

ROBCamra
14-06-2013, 13:30
A few visits around Salford Central station on Saturday saw us in The Kings Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13145/)

First Chop beers are often available around Manchester now especially in Chorlton and in the Northern Quarter.

However their MIA was on in Gaslamp (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/73019/) and HOP in The Kings Arms.

The HOP was a very good pint and did what it said on the pumpclip although not a hop monster. :cheers: