PDA

View Full Version : Godmanchester

Maldenman
12-05-2013, 14:09
A small village, now a commuter town for Cambridge and Peterborough which has seen significant population increase in the last twenty years with new estates built. Now I know Graham may be going back a long way in time but is there anywhere else in the UK that has lost such a percentage of it's pubs? For those that know me, my former brother-in-law lives there, the tightest person I've ever encountered with money! :rolleyes:

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/godmanchester/cambridgeshire/

Mobyduck
12-05-2013, 16:57
A small village, now a commuter town for Cambridge and Peterborough which has seen significant population increase in the last twenty years with new estates built. Now I know Graham may be going back a long way in time but is there anywhere else in the UK that has lost such a percentage of it's pubs? For those that know me, my former brother-in-law lives there, the tightest person I've ever encountered with money! :rolleyes:

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/godmanchester/cambridgeshire/
Not only are there a large amount of closed pubs, but no one goes in the few that are left open , according to the reviews, or lack of them .

Al 10000
12-05-2013, 17:23
There were only four pubs open in Godmanchester in 1989

Black Bull : Whitbread
Exhibition : Watney Norwich
Royal Oak : Watney Norwich
White Hart : Watney Norwich

These are the same four pubs that are still open today,so Godmanchester has'nt faired that badly in recent times.
I would like to bet that most of those pubs closed at or before the turn of the last century not the 1900s the 1800s.

Oggwyn Trench
12-05-2013, 18:07
We lost a lot of pubs around here in the 60s and 70s due to town improvements and urban regeneration , for a quick example Wellington has 32 pubs listed 25 open , 7 closed , if i deicided to photograph the pub buildings that still exist and are no longer pubs i could easily add another 25 , add demolished pubs and thats another 25-30.
I do not bother to add them to the site as luckily we have a few good historic pub sites for around here .

AlanH
13-05-2013, 04:00
Salford has lost a vast amount of pubs looking through various old guides, and as AL 10000 can confirm, many of these have been in the last 20 years. Many of my old pub crawls have vanished completely!:mad: