PDA

View Full Version : Kelham Island Tavern dethroned!!

ROBCamra
09-05-2013, 10:44
Sheffield have just announced their pub of the year 2013.

The KIT has won it for the last 9 years, but this years winner is Shakespeares (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43362/) its near neighbour. :cheers:

Quinno
09-05-2013, 12:42
Which might now be the ideal time to get those pics of it shuttered and boarded relegated away from showing on the main listing!?

sheffield hatter
10-05-2013, 21:40
Which might now be the ideal time to get those pics of it shuttered and boarded relegated away from showing on the main listing!?

Done. (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/43362/) Sorry, should have thought of it before.

Quinno
12-05-2013, 10:48
Done. (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/43362/) Sorry, should have thought of it before.

Good man :cool:

sheffield hatter
13-05-2013, 22:27
Sheffield have just announced their pub of the year 2013.

The KIT has won it for the last 9 years, but this years winner is Shakespeares (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43362/) its near neighbour. :cheers:

I'm reliably informed that out of 1300 Camra members in the Sheffield area, 42 submitted voting forms. This comment is not meant to suggest that the Shakespeare is not a worthy winner, because obviously the same argument could be applied to the previous nine years when the Kelham Island Tavern was voted the pub of the year here in Sheffield. I am just a little disturbed to discover that a decision that can have large consequences for the livelihoods of the people who work in these pubs is taken by such a small proportion of the electorate.

Aqualung
13-05-2013, 23:22
I'm reliably informed that out of 1300 Camra members in the Sheffield area, 42 submitted voting forms. This comment is not meant to suggest that the Shakespeare is not a worthy winner, because obviously the same argument could be applied to the previous nine years when the Kelham Island Tavern was voted the pub of the year here in Sheffield. I am just a little disturbed to discover that a decision that can have large consequences for the livelihoods of the people who work in these pubs is taken by such a small proportion of the electorate.

When I was involved with the CAMRA branch many many years ago GBG selections were decided by the Committee, although I'm sure members who turned up to the branch meetings could bend their ear about alternatives.

I think your concerns about the livelihoods of the KIT staff are unrealistic. The GBG and CAMRA doesn't really have that much clout in my opinion. I've heard of the KIT and have never been to Sheffield! If the Shakespeare is literally round the corner then people other than regulars will visit both. The only problem is if one of the pubs has excessively higher prices than the other.

gillhalfpint
14-05-2013, 07:16
I think that most people doing a real ale crawl of Sheffield will do both. We did a couple of weeks or so ago when last up there. Don't think it will affect either that much.

On the voting, I think most members fail to do scoring of pubs which is a shame, but that is the way of it in most voting cases. The minority who care enough will win the day so those who don't vote can't moan.

Aqualung
14-05-2013, 09:10
On the voting, I think most members fail to do scoring of pubs which is a shame, but that is the way of it in most voting cases. The minority who care enough will win the day so those who don't vote can't moan.

I think more people would vote for GBG entries if they didn't have to write a 5,000 word dissertation about the place. I took one look at my local branch's form and gave up immediately. All they need is a few lines, the rating of the beer in the pub (1-10), the date visited and a Yes/No should the pub go in the GBG. An optional description should be provided to explain why it was found to be brilliant, complete rubbish or just average.

gillhalfpint
14-05-2013, 15:48
I have been doing the stubbies or scoring for 11 years now, and I have never seen such a form. I go on line now on the CAMRA site, find the pub and enter the date and give it a score from 0 to 5. That's it. I think the form you mean is the one they complete when they do the surveys.

If a branch can enter 20 pubs in the guide, I think they look at the top 25 to 30 pubs from the stubbies which are completed (for all pubs in the area, not just GBG ones). They then go round those 25 - 30 to do a full survey, and from that they select the 20 for the GBG guide. That's my understanding of the system, but I may be wrong.

Aqualung
14-05-2013, 16:04
I have been doing the stubbies or scoring for 11 years now, and I have never seen such a form. I go on line now on the CAMRA site, find the pub and enter the date and give it a score from 0 to 5. That's it. I think the form you mean is the one they complete when they do the surveys.

If a branch can enter 20 pubs in the guide, I think they look at the top 25 to 30 pubs from the stubbies which are completed (for all pubs in the area, not just GBG ones). They then go round those 25 - 30 to do a full survey, and from that they select the 20 for the GBG guide. That's my understanding of the system, but I may be wrong.

Thanks for pointing that out Gill, I've been looking at the local branch site, and yes the form is one that is used for the actual survey so is useless for just making a suggestion.

I'll have a look at the main CAMRA site, I only recently discovered that the 1974 and the prototype GBG are downloadable from there.

gillhalfpint
14-05-2013, 16:17
It is NBSS National Beer Scoring Site, or was. It is now part of WhatPub and I have saved it on favourites and get straight into it, so isn't a chore or anything. It was a pain when I first started using it, but now I am getting used to it, find it has potential. Not as good as this site with it's reviews, but is useful.

Quinno
14-05-2013, 17:26
It is NBSS National Beer Scoring Site, or was. It is now part of WhatPub and I have saved it on favourites and get straight into it, so isn't a chore or anything. It was a pain when I first started using it, but now I am getting used to it, find it has potential. Not as good as this site with it's reviews, but is useful.

The chronic failure with NBSSv.2/Whatpub is that the local branches have to upload and update all their pubs. And if a pub hasn't been put on then you can't score it! And of course some branch Pubs Officers are better than others at uploading all their stuff... :D

gillhalfpint
14-05-2013, 21:10
That's what really irritated me when I started as I didn't always have the pub address for the map, so I was putting the pub in the town hall! I now find all my pubs great, so branches must be catching up. Went back and corrected my pub locations . Quite enjoy scoring on the new system now.

oldboots
15-05-2013, 08:25
The chronic failure with NBSSv.2/Whatpub is that the local branches have to upload and update all their pubs. And if a pub hasn't been put on then you can't score it! And of course some branch Pubs Officers are better than others at uploading all their stuff... :D

Yep, spot on, on both counts :D but there isn't another way to do it I guess.

The other point is WhatPub is currently only available to members of CAMRA although that may change later this year when some branches get their fingers out and load the pubs so it can be unleashed on an unsuspecting public. It'll never replace our favourite pub site anyway.