PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 28th April 2013)

ROBCamra
22-04-2013, 15:16
Oggwyn Trench: Growler Hound Dog
Real Ale Ray: Hook Norton Hooky Bitter
Mobyduck: Surrey Hills Greensand IPA
Wittenden: Vale Brewery Conspiracy
aleandhearty: Acorn Tarn Life
oldboots: Leeds Vienna
Aqualung: Kent Brewery Enigma Black IPA
london calling: Leeds Vienna
Bucking Fastard: Magic Rock High Wire
hondo: Timothy Taylor Landlord
Thuck Phat: Roosters Fort Smith
ROBCamra: Arkwrights Tarquin Fin tim lin bin whin bim lim bus stop F'Tang F'tang Ole Biscuitbarrel

Oggwyn Trench
28-04-2013, 15:41
Last game of the Season so quite a lot of beer drunk yesterday :nishelypished:

Marstons - Me Duck
Jennings - Red Rascal
Jennings - Boondoggle
Robinsons - Hoptimus
Brown Cow - Roof Raiser
Kelham Island - 20th Century Boy
Milltown - Spring Fever
Off Beat - Kooky Gold
Growler - Hound Dog

BOTW Growler - Hound Dog

Real Ale Ray
28-04-2013, 17:18
Hook Norton - Hooky Bitter

Mobyduck
28-04-2013, 18:09
Darkstar American Pale Ale
Darkstar Hophead
Skinners Betty Stogs
Brains Reverend James
Sambrook's Pump House Pale
Ascot Anastasia Exile Stout
Surrey Hills Greensand IPA
Downton Dark Delight
Binghams Hot Dog Chilli Stout
Redemption Hopspur
Bathams Mild
Titanic Chocolate and Vanilla Stout
O'Hanlons Dry Stout
By The Horns Diamond Geezer
Castle Rock Harvest Pale
Shepherd Neame Kents Best

BOTW is Surrey Hills Greensand IPA.

Wittenden
28-04-2013, 18:52
Only one pub visit, so my BOTW is Vale Brewery-Conspiracy, a mahogany ,roasty best bitter with a bitter finish. Moreish, and improves my opinion of Vale, which I don't often come across here in Kent, and have found dull in the fairly distant past.

aleandhearty
28-04-2013, 18:58
Quiet week for me, just five beers tried at my village local's beer festival.

Rat - Flying Rat
Wood Street - Tulip Tree.
Acorn - Tarn Life.
Fernandes - Pierrepoint's Drop.
Rudgate - Wunjo.

Almost impossible to separate Tarn Life and Pierrepoint's Drop, as they were both excellent, but for sheer drinkability the Acorn has it.

oldboots
28-04-2013, 19:07
A mix of good, mediocre and excellent, both Darkstars were as good as you would expect being sampled at the Coverbridge Inn helped as well :p, however Leeds Vienna is definitely BOTW

Wolf- Tasmanian Wolf
Titanic- Molly Brown
Oakham - Inferno
Rudgate - Ruby Mild
Darkstar - Hophead
Darkstar - Art of Darkness
Wells & Young - Courage Best Bitter
Saltaire - South Island Pale
T Taylors - Landlord
Black Sheep - Bitter
Caledonian - Golden XPA
Daleside - St Georges Ale
St Austell - Trelawney
Wharfebank - Tether Blonde
Leeds - Vienna
Vasileostrovsky - Siberian Red

Aqualung
28-04-2013, 20:37
A shorter list this week half of them from the aftermath of the Spoons festival :-

Blue Monkey Sanctuary 4.1%
Inveralmond Frisco Steamy 4.4%
Cairngorm Pollination 4.6%
Hyde's Burnt Sienna 5.0%
Brodie's Old Street Pale 5.0%
Kent Brewery Enigma Black IPA 5.5%
Vasileostrovsky Siberian Red 6.0%
Brodie's Brett IPA (keykeg) 7.8%

The winner by a mile is the Kent Brewery Enigma Black IPA in great form for £3.15 (inc CAMRA discount) in the Walthamstow Bell.

BOTW Kent Brewery Enigma Black IPA

london calling
28-04-2013, 20:40
Lots of good beers again this week but these stood out.
muirhouse -shopping for hops
black jack -canasta mild
but the best was
leeds -vienna mild
not a fav style and not a fav brewery but this was superb

Bucking Fastard
29-04-2013, 11:01
Some good ale slipped down this week,plus a visit to a Macs pub.

Mc Mullens -Country Bitter
McMullens -AK
Clarence & Fredericks -Golden Ale
Marble -Chocolate
Ilkley -Norsman (an unusual spruce beer)
Magic Rock -High Wire
Dark Star -Art of Darkness
Atomic -Half Life

Clarence & Fredericks based in Neville Road,Selhurst might be expected to get my vote,but on this occasion BOTW goes to Magic Rock,Hire Wire in great nick in The Southampton Arms,Gospel Oak and up against serious competition over there.

aleandhearty
29-04-2013, 15:39
...however Leeds Vienna is definitely BOTW.

but the best wasleeds -vienna mild, not a fav style and not a fav brewery but this was superb

And from the BABOTW thread:

I like MILD, so when I was having a pre-crawl pint in the Wetherspoons on Leeds station the other day I plumped for the Leeds Vienna....I've had some bad experiences with Black IPAs in the last year or so - this wasn't as bad as them, but still pretty nasty.

Sounds a bit of a 'Marmite' beer!

oldboots
29-04-2013, 17:15
Sounds a bit of a 'Marmite' beer!

it's dark an smooth but it's not to my mind a mild, it's too highly hopped with new world hops so I think the brewery description is a bit off. Lovely beer to my taste though so I'd better try some more to make sure :D.

http://www.leedsbrewery.co.uk/beers/

london calling
30-04-2013, 00:02
I have had black ipa,s a white stout(durham) and this week i saw but did not drink Flying dog 7.5 hopless ipa.So hoppy milds bring them on.

hondo
30-04-2013, 10:10
Timothy Taylor - Landlord

Thuck Phat
30-04-2013, 10:41
A few sampled this week at The Merchants (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57333/) semi-annual beer festival including:

Oakham Bishops Farewell 4.6%
Tryst Carronade IPA 4.2%
Victory Thick as Thieves 6.8%
Rooster Fort Smith 5%
Blue Monkey Guerilla Stout 4.9%
Acorn St George's Best 4.6%

All were very good but I think Roosters Fort Smith just nudges it as BOTW. A typical Roosters beer, pale and hoppy but with that bit extra punch.

Aqualung
01-05-2013, 14:19
it's dark an smooth but it's not to my mind a mild, it's too highly hopped with new world hops so I think the brewery description is a bit off. Lovely beer to my taste though so I'd better try some more to make sure :D.

It means nothing to me putting my oar in with this debate. I agree that it's not a mild but a dark bitter. To me it's like a lower ABV version of my two local brews, Redemption Urban Dusk and ELB Nightwatchman.

aleandhearty
03-05-2013, 09:59

:D Unfortunately missed it at the 'spoons fest, but as it's a proper Leeds seasonal might just catch it at the Midnight Bell, or Brewery Tap.

Roosters Fort Smith just nudges it as BOTW. A typical Roosters beer, pale and hoppy but with that bit extra punch.

The first beer I had in the York Tap, on Tuesday afternoon. Lovely stuff.

ROBCamra
04-05-2013, 11:51
I really wish I hadn't thought that this was a great beer. :o

It's from Arkwrights (claiming to be The Very Silly Brewing Company) and is named after a Monty Python sketch featuring Michael Palin as Tarquin...................

Light, hoppy, very moreish and 3.9%. It passed the 3 pint test easily in The Baum on a Tuesday night.

BOTW Arkwrights Tarquin Fin tim lin bin whin bim lim bus stop F'Tang F'tang Ole Biscuitbarrel. :cheers:

Bucking Fastard
04-05-2013, 21:26
I really wish I hadn't thought that this was a great beer. :o

It's from Arkwrights (claiming to be The Very Silly Brewing Company) and is named after a Monty Python sketch featuring Michael Palin as Tarquin...................

Light, hoppy, very moreish and 3.9%. It passed the 3 pint test easily in The Baum on a Tuesday night.

BOTW Arkwrights Tarquin Fin tim lin bin whin bim lim bus stop F'Tang F'tang Ole Biscuitbarrel. :cheers:

Well at least Tarquin managed to get elected in Luton unlike Kevin Philips Bong who polled zero votes on the night but strangely scored a cracker today :D.

aleandhearty
27-05-2013, 18:14

It means nothing to me putting my oar in with this debate. I agree that it's not a mild but a dark bitter. To me it's like a lower ABV version of my two local brews, Redemption Urban Dusk and ELB Nightwatchman.

:D Unfortunately missed it at the 'spoons fest, but as it's a proper Leeds seasonal might just catch it at the Midnight Bell, or Brewery Tap.

Finally managed to try Vienna in The Midnight Bell, on Saturday. After two pints, I still couldn't make up my mind about it. Just didn't get a lot from it, to be honest. Maybe it was a little tired?