PDA

View Full Version : 'Hurry Up Please I'ts Time'. Radio4. Saturday 27th Feb. 20.00 - 21.00.

aleandhearty
26-02-2010, 17:04
Another radio programme on pubs, albeit a little more cerebral, looking at their place in literature. Here's the promotional puff from The Radio Times online:

'Roberts Hanks explores the pub in literature. From Falstaff at The Boar's Head to John Self at The Shakespeare in Martin Amis's Money, English literature and the pub are intertwined. It started in a pub - Chaucer's pilgrims setting out from The Tabard in Southwark - and has been waiting to be chucked out ever since. Robert presents an elegy for pubs in literature and an exploration of what the smoking ban, the gastro pub and the five-quid pint are going to do to writing.'

Might be worth a punt on iPlayer. I suspect there won't be too many takers tomorrow night, given the broadcast time!

Conrad
26-02-2010, 18:10
Have to admit I wont be catching it, will try and get it on the Listen Again though.

Thanks for that, sounds interesting.

Conrad
02-03-2010, 11:28
Only just remembered this and listened to it on Listen Again (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qyqwd).

Very Literary, I found myself zoning out at various points, a single presenter playing lots of clips from poetry and plays that involve pubs. It was quite interesting at points, but also a little monotonous. I think I would have preferred it as a two parter.