PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Farway
25-02-2010, 14:26
Bit of background first, within the last few months I have found cash on pub floor at lunch time

The first was about 20p near fruit machine, the last was £1 coin near a table leg

The first I offered back to fruit machine player who had just swept it onto floor [big mistake, seems yoof of today consider copper as "naff" and is to be discarded ASAP, thus displaying how cool & wealthy they are]

Second was a pound coin near table leg, presumably dropped by accident

In first case, after rejection by the rightful owner of the pence, and a bit of "sneering" by same, I put it in the charity box

Second case, pound coin, no obvious owner, I pocketed it

Any thoughts on this? If you found a tenner on the pub floor what would you do? Is this different from a 20p coin?

RogerB
25-02-2010, 14:48
I have probably dropped more money than I have ever picked up so I don't have any great guilty complex in pocketing any lucky finds. What comes around goes around. If I saw someone actually drop it and not notice I would hand it back or point it out. If it was something of more value (ie wallet etc) I would hand it in at the bar.

Rex_Rattus
25-02-2010, 15:40
I have probably dropped more money than I have ever picked up so I don't have any great guilty complex in pocketing any lucky finds. What comes around goes around. If I saw someone actually drop it and not notice I would hand it back or point it out. If it was something of more value (ie wallet etc) I would hand it in at the bar.
Me too. If there is a realistic probability of returning it to its rightful owner I would do it, otherwise I would pocket it. I certainly wouldn't do anything daft like hand cash over to the bar staff so the rightful owner could reclaim it later! A wallet is different of course.

Bucking Fastard
25-02-2010, 15:50
Me too. If there is a realistic probability of returning it to its rightful owner I would do it, otherwise I would pocket it. I certainly wouldn't do anything daft like hand cash over to the bar staff so the rightful owner could reclaim it later! A wallet is different of course.

If it was a coin on the floor ,I would always give it a little kick to make sure that it wasnt superglued to the floor by the jovial landlord looking to poke fun at any one desperately trying to pocket some discarded shrapnel.

RogerB
25-02-2010, 15:59
If it was a coin on the floor ,I would always give it a little kick to make sure that it wasnt superglued to the floor by the jovial landlord looking to poke fun at any one desperately trying to pocket some discarded shrapnel.

Hmm! I though it was just me that did that. :whistle:

NickDavies
25-02-2010, 16:03
If it doesn't fold up, in the blind box or sometimes just leave it for the cleaners, who in chain pubs probably make more money from odd coppers found on the floor than they get in wages. If you spot the same coin in the same place a couple of days later, and I have, it says a lot about their cleaning arrangements, of course, and makes you wonder what the kitchen's like.

I never seem to come across lost folding money so the question of what to do with that has never arisen.

Then there's the question of coins left on the tables. I always wonder who does that, misguided American tourists? In some JDWs they can remain untocuched, along with the dirty plates and glasses, for hours.

hopwas
25-02-2010, 19:01
If it is 1p or 2p then I would pocket it and put to my piggy bank at home. I made £87 from 1p and 2p in past year and half of it come from JDW's floor, tables, beer garden and even in toilets! :D

I remember once someone dropped £10 note on floor in Gents since there are hundreds people in room I can't tell who is rightful owner so I decided to treat myself with £10 note.

Another time, I sat down and saw £20 in deposit box (cash machine) I had few mins to think whether I should take it or leave it. In the end I decided to take "freebie" £20... :whistle: that was in also JDW! Lets say it was Finder's Keepers..

Soup Dragon
25-02-2010, 20:03
I would pay someone a quid to pick it up for me - i have seen too many tricks usung half five pound notes etc - let someone else look the buffoon, by contracting out the pick-up saying, i am sure i have dropped a tenner here somewhere

arwkrite
25-02-2010, 20:12
Now we know why Hoppy is so keen on JDWs...they are a second source of income to him. Lucky sod, I never find anything. This habit of leaving coins on tables has not reached this neck of the woods. I do not tip in pub eateries for canteen service,though for proper resturant sevice I do.
In the rare event of me finding a coin I put in a charity box. I can honestly say I have never found a note.
I did find a wallet once in a pub in Wales.Neither the Publican nor the Police were interested. It had a lady pensioners bus pass in it and a Lloyds Bank debit card plus about £250 ( this was in the 1970s). A quick trip to Lloyds and the manager checked whose the card was and found the old couple were holidaying on the caravan site next to ours.So it was returned reasonably quickly to the owners who said it was all their holiday money.
See I can be saintly if I try really hard.

runningdog
25-02-2010, 20:39
Pocket it...:drinkup::drinkup:

aleandhearty
25-02-2010, 20:44
In first case, after rejection by the rightful owner of the pence, and a bit of "sneering" by same, I put it in the charity box

Filthy ingrate. Charity box? I think I'd have been tempted to put it up his right nostril.

hopwas
25-02-2010, 20:51
Pocket it...:drinkup::drinkup:

.. and spend on BEAST :whistle::whistle:

runningdog
25-02-2010, 21:23
.. and spend on BEAST :whistle::whistle:

Oh yeah, too right..........:drinkup:

Maldenman
26-02-2010, 10:58
If I find some cash then I take the view I've been lucky. I found a crisp folded tenner a couple of months ago on the pavement next to a phone box. If there are no means of returning it to whoever lost it what else is there to do? It goes some way to redressing the balance I guess whereby any change I leave lying around at home mysteriously vanishes.........I presume into my teenage kids' pockets.

RogerB
26-02-2010, 11:23
A couple of months back I had a blank Saturday afternoon and decided to go to footy at Welling and do a couple of local pubs. I cashed £40 at Dartford, caught the train and popped in 2 pubs on the way to the ground, not needing to break into the cash I had taken out and put in my pocket. When I got to the ground all I had just a bit of loose change and not enough to get in. Much pocket searching ensued for the missing notes but I had to own up to the fact that they had fallen out of my pocket either on the train or in one of the pubs. I didn't think it was much use going back into the pubs and asking if anyone had handed in £40 cash as I doubt it would have achieved anything other than a laugh at my expense and just to add salt into the wounds it was a big hike to find the nearest cash machine. Someone got lucky and I just hope they had a good time on it as I would do if I was the lucky recipient. No use crying over spilt milk.

Gann
26-02-2010, 11:31
I had the reverse experience last week whilst standing at a busy bar.
Having queued behind a guy ordering a round I managed to order my pint.
As he moved away with half his round i got to the front and got my wallet out to take out a note to pay.
Then I am tapped on the shoulder by the bloke coming back for the second half of his round who is now holding two folded fivers.
"You've dropped this mate" and being very thankful of his honesty I pocketed the notes.

It wasn't till i sat down with my pint that I realised that the cash i was carrying had only been crisp 20's out of a nearby cash machine, and those fivers couldn't possibly been mine. In fact if anything they could well have been his....

After wrestling with my conscience, I chose the win some , loose some view and took this as a win...... I'm not sure if that makes me evil...

Conrad
26-02-2010, 11:59
I may have to rename this thread "Who is going to Hell" ;)

You're an immoral bunch, and I fully support your decisions as I would do the same :).

It might be another one of those folk tales but don't the Police just allow you to keep the money if it is below a certain amount? I would have thought it is more hassle than it is worth.

trainman
26-02-2010, 12:13
Earlier this week I was waiting to see the vet; when the lady in front of me went in with her Greyhound I noticed a purse left on the bench. Well, I am rather skint, and I'm a Manc ... so, of course, I handed it in at reception explaining that I thought the lady had left it behind. I was slightly surprised that she didn't wait 5 mins to thank me when I came out. And my 5 mins had cost £71.

Conversely, I was in the Nags Head in Welling late last year & my day improved rapidly when I spotted £40 on the floor at the bar. That did not get handed in!

RogerB
26-02-2010, 12:36
Earlier this week I was waiting to see the vet;

Time for your worming tablets again?

Conversely, I was in the Nags Head in Welling late last year & my day improved rapidly when I spotted £40 on the floor at the bar. That did not get handed in!

I thought it was you dancing in the middle of the road when I passed by after the game.

Eddie86
26-02-2010, 22:01
From this side of the bar (I wish I'd named my blog that) I've had a few interesting experiences.

One gent asked if we sell the Kilvert's pint glasses. When I said yes, £3, he replied 'I just stopped my son nicking one and told him if he asked you probably sold them'. I thanked him for his honesty and let him have one for £1.50. I may have been scammed, but on the whole our lot seem an honest bunch.

We had an old boy hand in £100 that he'd found on the floor. What had actually happened, he had a slight mental illness and was out on a day trip. His minder was worried sick she'd lost £100 of his. It turns out he hates labour so much he doesn't want to give them 40% of his leftovers, as it were, and so is determined to spend every last penny and get rid of it before 'those thieving bastards' took 'even more, considering it's tax when I earn, save and spend'

Gin and Orange, in case you wondered. He insisted it was the gin, and not the orange, that kept him regular...

arwkrite
27-02-2010, 05:50
The old boy may have been a mental case but with his attitude, should he ever decide to run for Parliament, he would get my vote any time. Lets face it a bunch of mental cases would make a pleasant change from the thieving b88t88d8 we have at present.

Conrad
27-02-2010, 14:49
The old boy may have been a mental case but with his attitude, should he ever decide to run for Parliament, he would get my vote any time. Lets face it a bunch of mental cases would make a pleasant change from the thieving b88t88d8 we have at present.
Isn't putting themselves up for election the first sign that they are not fit for it?

Eddie86
27-02-2010, 15:07
That's what I thought Conrad!

Oggwyn Trench
27-02-2010, 15:10
Im with Billy Connelly "If your children show any signs of becoming a politician , drown them"

nogoodboyo
03-03-2010, 22:34
Pick it up... many a mickle makes a muckle, as they say north of the border!;)

Strongers
03-03-2010, 23:21
Isn't putting themselves up for election the first sign that they are not fit for it?

Hell yeah!

I’ve been trying to get it into my brother’s thick skull that however nice the politician seems it doesn’t matter. The higher up in government he is the bigger a back stabbing lying cheating deceiver he is.

Back to the original subject:

I used to work in herehttp://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55733/ and the governor walked around the bar and found £60 in three folded notes laying on the floor the other side of the bar and he said ‘if you were doing your job properly you’d have pocketed this’. He then pulled out the grands worth wad of notes that he always carried about and put the £60 in and pulled out a tenner and stuck it on the bar and said ‘get your f*cking hair cut’. Best boss I ever had by far!!!

RogerB
14-04-2010, 15:34
Was in the 'Spoons last night and as I stepped up to the bar, a half drunk old geezor was in front of the hand pumps with his very nice looking daughter/wife/prostutute who was ordering food for them both. He stepped back to let me have access to the hand pumps and I then noticed a shiny pound coin on the bar where he had been standing. I pushed it towards him and said "I think this is yours". He didn't say anything comprehensible and walked away. His companion finished ordering and I expected her to pick up the coin. She totally ignored it. I ordered my pint and looked around in case there was some other meat head to whom it may have belonged and was just waiting for us to clear the bar before reclaiming it. No-one did so I grabbed my pint and the coin and wandering off. With my CAMRA 50p off voucher and my bar booty, my pint of Burton Runner cost me 35p. It was the worst pint I had all night. I'm sure there is a moral in there somewhere.

arwkrite
14-04-2010, 20:31
Being the wary, paranoid sort of cove I am I would have suspected a set up. I would have dropped it in the charity box. If it had been £60 in a booth or on the floor I would have made myself very small grabbed it and legged to another pub. The rest of the night I would have been looking over my shoulder. Must be a guilt thing.

Soup Dragon
14-04-2010, 20:44
remind me to keep my wallet in my pocket if we do meet up for that drink, Mr A

Andy Ven
14-04-2010, 20:48
Im with Billy Connelly "If your children show any signs of becoming a politician , drown them"

I like his line "Don't vote for them, it only encourages them"

arwkrite
14-04-2010, 21:00
Just had a thought Roger, perhaps you look the sort who they thought needed the pound more than they did.........only joking......honest.

Soups ,would I steal the wallet of a hardworking Archivist ?........That would depend on A. Can he run faster than me.....and B. Does he know where I live. If the answer to both A & B is No and you would be right in worrying about your wallet.

Soup Dragon
14-04-2010, 21:13
Mate, i just need to steak out (forgive the pun) the Hungry Horse pubs in Worcestershire!