PDA

View Full Version : How Much?

london calling
02-04-2013, 20:22
Camra,s latest price survey has listed London as £3.31 a pint.I think this is way below the price i pay and wonder how much Wetherspoon pubs effect the final price.Seems like they checked about 60 pubs in each region.They also reckon prices only went up in London by 7p in the last year up to Feb.

Mobyduck
02-04-2013, 21:53
Camra,s latest price survey has listed London as £3.31 a pint.I think this is way below the price i pay and wonder how much Wetherspoon pubs effect the final price.Seems like they checked about 60 pubs in each region.They also reckon prices only went up in London by 7p in the last year up to Feb.
I'm paying £3.50 for a pint of average session bitter out in the sticks of Hampshire, wouldnt mind a bit of £3.31 action, ( not in Wetherspoons though,) :sick: :evilgrin:

Aqualung
02-04-2013, 23:01

The trouble is that Central London is where the highest prices apply (which is why I mainly don't bother with the area). You could probably add Fuller's, Young's, McMullen's and Shep's tied houses to that list which again makes me reluctant to visit them as the wrongly maligned supermarkets sell their bottles so cheaply (the supermarkets are not forcing the breweries to sell their beers to them). I've only seen McMullen's beers in ASDA and they weren't that cheap or apparently selling very well.

Wetherspoon's would most definitely affect the prices as there are so many of them in some parts of London with little creditable opposition.

Some Wetherspoon prices actually decreased last year as after the Summer £1.99 offer disappeared some of them dudn't go back to the same prices as before.

I suspect that the £1.99 pint in a pub is a thing of the past other than Ruddles Worst in Spoons outside of Central London.

oldboots
03-04-2013, 07:36
Seems like they checked about 60 pubs in each region.

The annual price survey specification is to do at least 12 pubs in each branch area, three real ales in each pub plus a real cider and a lager (where possible). A range of beer strengths as well as a range of tied, free and pubco pubs are also to be included. Not all branches complete the survey but a fair UK wide representation is usually gained.

We may need to remember that a mean average can sometimes be a meaningless mean, a modal average is probably closer to most peoples experience.

Aqualung
03-04-2013, 08:38
We may need to remember that a mean average can sometimes be a meaningless mean

Would a mean of meaningless means mean that a meaningful mean had been achieved? I'll get me coat.

Mobyduck
03-04-2013, 12:05
Would a mean of meaningless means mean that a meaningful mean had been achieved? I'll get me coat.

What do you mean?

ETA
03-04-2013, 12:16
What do you mean?

Don't be mean.

london calling
03-04-2013, 19:10
meanwhile.My daughter bought me a pint of the rarely seen(thank god) Banks -bitter 3.8 in a local pub on Easter sunday.Rubbish pint and it was £3.90.

Rex_Rattus
04-04-2013, 10:42
meanwhile.My daughter bought me a pint of the rarely seen(thank god) Banks -bitter 3.8 in a local pub on Easter sunday.Rubbish pint and it was £3.90.

Don't knock it mate. "Daughter buys dad a pint" - surely that should be in News of the Day?

Farway
04-04-2013, 14:07
In pub today and was told, [so second hand hearsay] that a pint at local gastro pub is £4.50. We all found it hard to believe but maybe they can? Knowing rhe pub it is more food than beer so perhaps it fits in

Farway
04-04-2013, 14:08
Don't knock it mate. "Daughter buys dad a pint" - surely that should be in News of the Day?

I am hoping for this at the weekend, my 70th birthday on Monday :cheers:

london calling
04-04-2013, 20:34
Euston tap had on last night
magic rock -highwire 5.5 (cask) very nice beer at £3.60 a pint
also
magic rock -highwire 5.5(keg) its the same beer at £5.20 HOW MUCH?

Mobyduck
04-04-2013, 20:58
Euston tap had on last night
magic rock -highwire 5.5 (cask) very nice beer at £3.60 a pint
also
magic rock -highwire 5.5(keg) its the same beer at £5.20 HOW MUCH?
I know which one I'd go for.

MJ71
04-04-2013, 21:38

Lovely drink. I grew up in Banks's country but 3.90 is obscene for that strength.

Aqualung
04-04-2013, 23:00
Lovely drink. I grew up in Banks's country but 3.90 is obscene for that strength.

You can buy 500ml bottles of it for £1.00 in any large Tesco. I'm assuming this wasn't in a Banks's house, please don't tell me that Banks's houses are being rebranded as Marston's!!

I would prefer Banks's Bitter and Mild to anything of similar ABV from the non Banks's Marston's stable.

NickDavies
06-04-2013, 17:25
£2.75 for most of the generally Marston's or W&Y related beers in my Bramwell pubco local, bookended by Courage Best at £1.99 and the inevitable London Pride topping the bill at £3.05. All remarkably good value, given that the Wifebeater brigade are quite happy to pay well over four quid for lager (this is filthy rich Surrey commuter belt)and that there is no real competition, only two other so-so pubs in walking distance.

Strongers
12-04-2013, 09:42
Earlier this week I paid £4.10 for a pint of Hophead in the Mermaid in Rye. Stella was the same price.

sheffield hatter
12-04-2013, 10:04
Just back from a few days in London. £3.85 for an average pint of St Austell Tribute at the Oak & Pastor (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25372/) in N19 (and I mean average in the true sense of neither outstandingly good, nor horribly bad, just somewhere in the middle), followed by the same beer in very good condition at £3.50 in The Wrestlers (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25481/) in N6. Later I was drinking Woodforde's Wherry for just £3.20 at The Victoria (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25479/) just down the road. (Incidentally there's an excellent jazz band there on Wednesday evenings - the Swinging Garcons.)

Good to be back in Sheffield, where I can still get change out of £3.

NickDavies
13-04-2013, 10:12
£7 in some Brighton pubs

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10351931.City_pubs_charging_up_to___7_for_pint_of_ beer/

gillhalfpint
13-04-2013, 15:16
A day of 2 halves in Melton Mowbray today.

Ann of Cleves - Both Castle Rock Elsie Mo and Everards Yakima were £3.60 a pint.
Grapes - Scottish Borders Willacade Broughton and Grays Traditional Mild. One was about £1.50 a pint and the other about £1.76. Too gobsmacked to write the prices down.

P.S. The mild at 3.8% was one of the best milds I have had.

hondo
16-04-2013, 08:42
" a milestone moment "
http://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2013/04/milestone-moment-as-average-price-of-beer-passes-3-a-pint/