PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 7th April 2013)

ROBCamra
02-04-2013, 14:07
:cheers:

Mobyduck
06-04-2013, 20:08
Early days but nothing will beat The Darkstar Six Hop Ale drunk in an unreasonable quantity today, other have been -
Darkstar Hophead
Cottage brewery Dutchess
West Berks berkshire Beauty
Courage Best
Youngs Double Chocolate Stout ,bottled( this was on course to be BOTW until the event of of the Six Hop)
Triple fff Altons Pride
BOTW Darkstar Six Hop Ale , One of the best beers I have ever drunk.

Wittenden
06-04-2013, 23:24
Just one pub visit this week-our trip to the Merry Harriers at Hambledon was postponed to next week.My BOTW-Harvey's- Sussex Best Bitter.Nothing more need be said.

Bucking Fastard
07-04-2013, 11:53
Managed to keep a note of this weeks consumption

TT Landlord
Everards Beacon ,Tiger
Oakham Scarlet McCaw
Great Heck Dispensary
Raw Black Ghost
Fullers London Pride
Morrisey Fox Palace Blonde Ale (bottle)
Blue Monkey BG Sips,Infinity,99 Red Baboons

Some good ones there and BOTW goes to Blue Monkey 99 Red Baboons in the impressive Organ Grinder,Loughborough the sister pub to the OG in Nottingham.

At the end of next week another boating journey with a reprise in Loughborough,then Ilkeston,Beeston and Nottingham should produce many worthy BOTW contenders and a merry crew:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::nishelypished:

Oggwyn Trench
07-04-2013, 18:14
Only one night out this week :(

Brown Cow - Empress of Britain
White Rose - Ice Blonde
Abbeydale - Faith Book
Ironbridge - American Pale
Ironbridge - West Coast IPA 48 Special
Oakhams - Jesters Ferret
Brewdog - Dead Pony Club(fizzy Craft keg)

BOTW Ironbridge - West Coast IPA 48 Special , i have been really impressed with some of these experimental brews from Ironbridge all 4.8% hence the 48 special tag , several deserve to be brewed again :pray::drinkup:

I have now tried three of the Craft Keg beers in the Fighting Cocks and they have all tasted the same :rolleyes:

Real Ale Ray
07-04-2013, 19:50
Old Dairy - Gold Top

Aqualung
07-04-2013, 21:35
Here's the selection :-

Shepherd Neame New World Pale Ale 4.0%
Lodewijks Fly By Night 4.2%
Redemption Hopspur 4.5%
Caledonian Brewer's Passion 4.6%
Adnam's Abbey Ale 5.0%
Everard's Malty Tasker 5.0%
Brodie's Old Street Pale 5.0%
Brodie's Jamaican Stout 5.3%
Good George Pacific Gem 5.5%
Orkney 1878 Strong Ale 5.5%
Vasileostrovsky Siberian Red 6.0%
Wadworth's 6X Anniversary 6.0%
Brodie's Dopple Dunkle Wheat 6.5%
Central City Red Racer IPA 6.5%
Brodie's Romanov Stout 12.1%

The oustanding one for me was the Vasileostrovsky Siberian Red, a dark red ale with a superb full flavour, served in immaculate condition in the George at Wanstead for £2.29.

BOTW Vasileostrovsky Siberian Red

trainman
07-04-2013, 21:53
... BOTW goes to Blue Monkey 99 Red Baboons in the impressive Organ Grinder,Loughborough the sister pub to the OG in Nottingham.

Any other worthies in Loughborough BF? Would it be worth a visit?
ta, j

Bucking Fastard
08-04-2013, 00:02
Any other worthies in Loughborough BF? Would it be worth a visit?
ta, j

My problem with Loughborough is that having got in The Organ Grinder (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/20818/) I would find it very difficult to leave.In the past I have visited the Tap and Mallet (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/20857/) ,which I really liked. The Swan in the Rushes (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/20855/) is worth a visit for the Castle Rock beers and I know there is a Steamin' Billy owned pub in town,although unvisited by me.The Albion (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/20758/) on the canal towpath is charming but I havn't been in for years:o.There is also an Everards pub near the church.

Will be going back to L'boro this Thursday with a different crew,but I only expect a one pub visit;).However I am sure you could organise a decent crawl with a bit of discipline.

oldboots
08-04-2013, 08:19
A quiet week for me

Black Sheep All Creatures
Skinners Sennen
Ionan Coffe Porter
Daleside Old Leg Over
Darkstar Art of Darkness
Ossett Yorkshire Blonde
Great Heck Heckate
York Guzzler
Roosters Yankee

an easy winner in Darkstar Art of Darkness

aleandhearty
08-04-2013, 12:09
Decent week for me, managing a couple more sessions than normal, with the Easter break. This weeks offerings:

Thornbridge - Juvenia.
Hop Studio - Dark Rose.
Corfu - Ionian Coffee Porter.
Lodewijk's - Fly By Night.
Central City - Red Racer IPA.
Five Towns - Crisis What Crisis?
Ossett - Citra.
Itchen Valley - 1644.
Navigation - Pale.
North Cotswold - Shag Weavers.
Fernandes - West Coast IPA.
Abbeydale - Black Mass.
Treboom - Drum Beat.
Wold Top - Bitter.
Thornbridge - Jaipur

Both the Thornbridges were in tip top nick, but even they couldn't touch the West Coast IPA - aromatic, smooth and powerful. Delicious.

hondo
08-04-2013, 13:35
Inveralmond Brewery - Thrappledouser

Thuck Phat
08-04-2013, 13:50
A decent week:

Oakham Bishops Farewell
Dowbridge Gladiator
Growler - Umbel Magna Porter
Langton All H'Ale
Salopian Matrix
Banks & Taylor - Edwin Taylor's Extra Stout, Dragon Slayer
Titanic Lifeboat

All of these were good with special mentions to the Gladiator - 4.5% of red ale drinkability, Magna Porter - a delicious coriander infused porter at 5% and Lifeboat - a very quaffable boring brown beer at 4%. BOTW was Salopian Matrix which punched way above its 4.1% with a distinctive dry and hoppy flavour. Ideal for wrapping yourself around on a Spring day.

london calling
08-04-2013, 21:25
Had 17 new beers this week but cant find the list so from memory a new London brewer is the winner
five points -pale ale was very impressive

Pubsignman
12-04-2013, 00:27
I spent most of the week drinking Mythos and Alfa before finally finding a restaurant with an extensive beer list which gave me the chance to try out some Greek microbreweries. By far the best was the off-puttingly named Septem Brewery, with their Septem Friday's Pale Ale in particular impressing. A really hoppy number - very uncharacteristic of Greek beer and so good that I brought a load of their beers home with me.

ROBCamra
18-04-2013, 09:34
Spitting Feathers Old Wavertonian Stout tried in their Brewery Tap in Chester.