PDA

View Full Version : London ... Its not all about Norf and Sarf.. I'm hearing the call of the East...

Gann
02-04-2013, 10:55
After seeing the amusing (but for those of us who live there, reality) suggestion in another thread to categorize London into Norf and Sarf, I have to report that I have now picked up on the stirrings coming from the East..

Last week I got roped into joining the better half in a historical and cultural walk of Walthamstow E17..
For me, culture in Walthamstow used to stop at the Manze's Pie and mash shop on the high road, but that's before I got exposed last week to Walthamstow village, Vestry House Museum and the revamped William Morris Gallery.. Who'd have thought this all exists within spitting distance of the Chicken, betting and charity shops of Hoe Street.

But also on the pub front, things are looking up. The three pubs around Walthamstow village all seem to have had make overs in recent years and I managed to get the wife into the 'The Village' on our walk and along with the Nags Head now support a row of Ale pumps on the bar.
And as Aqualung has been reporting, both the Bell and the now Antic owned Chequers have been remodeled and support a decent beer range.

So , as I also have not paid a visit to the William IV for many a moon I am contemplating a return towards the end of the month for a mini crawl of E17 to finish at the William IV (yes, before you say, I know not technically in E17, but close enough).

Anyone interested in joining, in which case we can synchronize on a date ?

Rex_Rattus
02-04-2013, 11:21
Great idea Gann. A trip to the North East is long overdue for me. I assume we are aiming for a weekend, in which case the weekends of 20/21, 27/28 Apr, and 4/5 May are currently OK for me.

Quinno
02-04-2013, 12:01
I'd be interested. Weekends of 20/27 are fine for me at present.

Bucking Fastard
02-04-2013, 17:15
I could sneak out on the weekend of 27/28th but sadly not the other dates.Never been to the William IV :o

Mobyduck
02-04-2013, 20:48
Been planning something similar for a while but Aprils out for me I'm afraid, but could sort something in May

london calling
02-04-2013, 21:04
Yes i am up for that depending on the date as i have rarely scooped in the Far East apart from the Hackney area.

Rex_Rattus
03-04-2013, 00:13
Yes i am up for that depending on the date as i have rarely scooped in the Far East apart from the Hackney area.

Sorry mate, you can't claim to have been to the Far East unless you've been out at least as far as Dagenham!

PaulOfHorsham
03-04-2013, 19:15
I like the sound of this - a trip to Walthamstow, with beer. Can't do 27th, as I'm off to Hastings / St. Leonards (with beer!), though.

Dave M
04-04-2013, 19:26
I'm keeping an eye on this, may be able to make it but not sure which weekends I will be free at the moment.

RogerB
05-04-2013, 15:24
If the date's OK, no problem for me.

Gann
09-04-2013, 17:01
Thanks for the positive nods..

As it happened, over the last week the April weekends have suddenly become quite busy, especially due to Saracens getting through to the Heineken Semi, so another trip to Twickers is in the dairy for the 28th and the wife certainly wont tolerate me disappearing on the 27th, and on the following weekend we are now off to Cheltenham for the Jazz festival..
So looks like I will need to push this one back into May. But will keep you informed when I can see some date daylight..
Cheers
Gann.

Mobyduck
10-04-2013, 17:50

As it happened, over the last week the April weekends have suddenly become quite busy, especially due to Saracens getting through to the Heineken Semi, so another trip to Twickers is in the dairy for the 28th and the wife certainly wont tolerate me disappearing on the 27th, and on the following weekend we are now off to Cheltenham for the Jazz festival..
So looks like I will need to push this one back into May. But will keep you informed when I can see some date daylight..
Cheers
Gann.
May is much better for me.

Mobyduck
16-05-2013, 10:21

Cheers
Gann.
Anything on the horizon for this one yet?

Bucking Fastard
18-05-2013, 10:53
Anything on the horizon for this one yet?

I would still be interested in exploring this part of London and it's not too far from home.

If we are talking about Saturdays,all apart from June 8th free with me from now until the Reading trip on 13th July.