PDA

View Full Version : PuG Summer meet 2013 (Anybody for... Leeds?) (or maybe Reading)

rpadam
23-03-2013, 22:32
The location for the next Pubs Galore meet-up was discussed at various points yesterday; I think that Leeds was mentioned as a possibility by several people, so how does that sound?

gillhalfpint
23-03-2013, 22:42
I like Leeds. Done a couple of sessions there.

oldboots
24-03-2013, 09:26
The location for the next Pubs Galore meet-up was discussed at various points yesterday; I think that Leeds was mentioned as a possibility by several people, so how does that sound?

Strangely enough I'm ok with that :D

ROBCamra
24-03-2013, 09:35
Sounds good to me.

Off hand I can only think of about 25 pubs in and around the centre that I would happily include on a PuG crawl. :cheers:

Bucking Fastard
24-03-2013, 10:15
I could manage another tour of Leeds,great pubs ,great ale. :notworthy:

Mobyduck
24-03-2013, 10:25
Look forward to it.

Oggwyn Trench
24-03-2013, 10:32
Leeds OK for me , as long as i can get the day off , will probally merit an overnight stay , just in case we get a dusting of snow and all the buses and trains are cancelled:moremad:

PaulOfHorsham
24-03-2013, 10:52
There's often good deals on East Coast fares, so with a bit of notice....

an_ecumenical_matter
24-03-2013, 11:01
There's often good deals on East Coast fares, so with a bit of notice.... 12 weeks is the Advance purchase furthest date from the present. This is week 13 of the year, so week 25ish is what we are aiming at, June 28th is 12 weeks away. Suggestion, would a Saturday be better for more people to have a day off ????

aleandhearty
24-03-2013, 11:20
Off hand I can only think of about 25 pubs in and around the centre that I would happily include on a PuG crawl. :cheers:

The first PuG weekender? :D

Obviously, I'm biased, as Leeds is so close to home, but for those who haven't visited the city, it would be a cracking day out.

Quinno
24-03-2013, 11:21
I think if we have a Northern day out, it's only fair to follow it with a Southern one to even things out.

Of course I can offer Reading :D but we'll leave that discussion for another day.

Quinno
24-03-2013, 11:22
The first PuG weekender? :D

Roger's already done one I think - on his own, mind!

aleandhearty
24-03-2013, 11:27

Roger's a given. I was thinking of us lesser mortals.

Bucking Fastard
24-03-2013, 11:36
Two days in Leeds is a very tempting idea,and the best way of doing a thorough survey.Chance to sample some of the local food delights as well. Would probably need to be outside the football season for me if we are looking at a weekend.

Bucking Fastard
24-03-2013, 11:49
I think if we have a Northern day out, it's only fair to follow it with a Southern one to even things out.

Of course I can offer Reading :D but we'll leave that discussion for another day.

Have to agree with that idea.It would be good to see Our Friends from the North dahn sarf but i'm not sure they are ready for Croydon just yet.;)

Crossste
24-03-2013, 12:14
May well come off the bench and make my debut for this one.

I presume its free beer for debutantes.

ROBCamra
24-03-2013, 12:28

It's free beer for all PAID for by debutantes. :evilgrin:

RogerB
24-03-2013, 12:41

I think a few of us did a double session in Liverpool! I have actually done quite a few Leeds pubs but I'm sure there are several more lurking in the back streets!

Real Ale Ray
24-03-2013, 13:43
Would defo be up for a Leeds crawl, count us in.

Mobyduck
24-03-2013, 18:10
May well come off the bench and make my debut for this one.

I didn't find that to be the case, but worth the expense.

Strongers
24-03-2013, 20:04
They’ll have to be a drastic drop in the train prices for me to come as I’ll have to stay overnight. Just looked on the East Coast Trains website at Sat 8th June and the cheapest I could find was £104 return from Euston. Add to that the return from Eastbourne to Victoria, the tube fares and the room for the night and I end up with a frowning wife!

Real Ale Ray
24-03-2013, 20:28
We're all getting excited about Leeds here and I'll go anywhere there's good beer :drinkup: but maybe it is about time that us Northerners ventured down south for a change and give our pals there a visit!!

I may have to pay a bit more for a pork pie and a pint, but I'll give it a shot :sick:

london calling
24-03-2013, 21:50
You will have to pay a lot more for a pint and a shot.

london calling
24-03-2013, 21:54
London would suit me for obvious reasons but there are a load of new pubs and brewpubs in the Islington and Hackney area.

rpadam
24-03-2013, 21:59
They’ll have to be a drastic drop in the train prices for me to come as I’ll have to stay overnight. Just looked on the East Coast Trains website at Sat 8th June and the cheapest I could find was £104 return from Euston. Add to that the return from Eastbourne to Victoria, the tube fares and the room for the night and I end up with a frowning wife!
I think that price must be something to do with weekend engineering works, the normal advance fare (if you buy far enough ahead) is £13 each way from East Coast trains (or £14.60 from elsewhere).

ROBCamra
25-03-2013, 13:20
but maybe it is about time that us Northerners ventured down south for a change and give our pals there a visit!!

Leicester's in the south to me!! :p

sheffield hatter
15-04-2013, 22:29
We're all getting excited about Leeds here and I'll go anywhere there's good beer :drinkup: but maybe it is about time that us Northerners ventured down south for a change and give our pals there a visit!!

This thread seems to have run out of steam, so I'm just giving it a bit of a kick to start it off again.

What about Reading? It's relatively easy to reach without going into London for those of us coming from the North (Cross Country Trains, changing in Birmingham if necessary) and a pretty quick journey for most southerners, I would guess, including those lucky enough to live in Bristol. Plus we've got a ready-made guide (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/member.php?6419-Quinno) to devise a crawl and lead us around.

Mobyduck
15-04-2013, 23:07
This thread seems to have run out of steam, so I'm just giving it a bit of a kick to start it off again.

What about Reading? It's relatively easy to reach without going into London for those of us coming from the North (Cross Country Trains, changing in Birmingham if necessary) and a pretty quick journey for most southerners, I would guess, including those lucky enough to live in Bristol. Plus we've got a ready-made guide (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/member.php?6419-Quinno) to devise a crawl and lead us around.
Very easy for me.

Strongers
16-04-2013, 00:53
I used to work in Reading and then Shinfield in the late 90s and would love a return visit. But I'd also love a trip to Leeds!

Soup Dragon
21-04-2013, 12:12
Has the next PuG meet-up been mooted yet? I have been off the radar over the past several months and am trying to get back into swing of things with reports and such like - would be nice to catch-up.

Strongers
21-04-2013, 12:20
Has the next PuG meet-up been mooted yet? I have been off the radar over the past several months and am trying to get back into swing of things with reports and such like - would be nice to catch-up.

Leeds has been discussed and someone mentioned Reading which also interests me. No dates have been set. I'd like a date before the end of July as things get a bit hectic for me in August/September.

Soup Dragon
21-04-2013, 12:23
Reading! We have to do Quinno's infamous Nag's Head!

Quinno
21-04-2013, 12:32
Reading! We have to do Quinno's infamous Nag's Head!

:D

A crawl consisting of the Nags, Alehouse, Hop Leaf, Lyndhurst, Retreat, Zerodegrees, Three Guineas and Sweeney Todds (perhaps taking in the Abbot Cook, Eldon, Oakford, Jolly Anglers and Back of Beyond - or how about a quick trip to Caversham to do the Fox & Hounds?) is not to be sniffed at...plus you have a ready-made guide and it's easy to get to being a major interchange station :whistle:

ROBCamra
21-04-2013, 12:39

A crawl consisting of the Nags, Alehouse, Hop Leaf, Lyndhurst, Retreat, Zerodegrees, Three Guineas and Sweeney Todds (perhaps taking in the Abbot Cook, Eldon, Oakford, Jolly Anglers and Back of Beyond - or how about a quick trip to Caversham to do the Fox & Hounds?) is not to be sniffed at...plus you have a ready-made guide and it's easy to get to being a major interchange station :whistle:

I think there are at least 3 ready made guides for Leeds.;)

Soup Dragon
21-04-2013, 12:49
I think there are at least 3 ready made guides for Leeds.;)

I think the next 2 meets are arranged then!:glass:

Strongers
21-04-2013, 14:41
We should attempt to set a venue and date so there is something to look forward to.

Bucking Fastard
21-04-2013, 14:50
We should attempt to set a venue and date so there is something to look forward to.

Yes I agree.We all need a bit of advanced notice and if the idea is to get some dates together between now and then end of July,the only really difficult days for me would be the last Thursday and Friday of any month.Weekends also fine with me after May12th apart from June 8th when I am doing a mini crawl around Oxford.

Strongers
21-04-2013, 15:34
I can probably manage an August date, but my free weekends going up to the end of July are:

June: 8th (BF unavailable)
15th
22nd
29th

July: 13th
27th

I could also arrange the Friday of these weeks.

Dave M
21-04-2013, 15:44
Having these last few posts in the thread that eventually became the Leicester meet up was becoming confusing to me, so moved them into one place now for this summer meet - whereever it may turn out to be!

oldboots
21-04-2013, 16:50
I've already got drinking related stuff booked for

31st May - 2nd June, 15th June, 21-23 June, and 6th July. Other dates are fine depending on work commitments I'm yet to be told about :(.

Quinno in your other beery life are you at the 22nd June meeting?

Quinno
21-04-2013, 18:12
Quinno in your other beery life are you at the 22nd June meeting?

Oh the NBSS one at the Bartons Arms? yes, I'm looking like I'll be there...

I can't do June 8 or July 27 either but otherwise...

Strongers
21-04-2013, 18:22
So between 4 of us we've written off all but 2 weekends up to the end of July.

June 29th

July 13th

ETA
21-04-2013, 19:28
Reading - while I might not be able to make it, I definitely couldn't do Leeds.

oldboots
21-04-2013, 19:55
Oh the NBSS one at the Bartons Arms? yes, I'm looking like I'll be there...

That's the one, I'm going on Friday and will probably do Digbeth and maybe city centre favourites. Maybe a mini-meet up?

Quinno
21-04-2013, 21:04
That's the one, I'm going on Friday and will probably do Digbeth and maybe city centre favourites. Maybe a mini-meet up?

That'd make my journey all the more worthwhile. Will PM.

Mobyduck
21-04-2013, 21:36
Having these last few posts in the thread that eventually became the Leicester meet up was becoming confusing to me, so moved them into one place now for this summer meet - whereever it may turn out to be!
Now I'm confused, albiet having been at work all day via the pub.The pub bit may have added to my confussion.
From my own (selfish) point of view Reading would suit me financialy, although I am keen to discover Leeds, I would need to find a good train deal, best Iv'e seen is £72.00 return, a bit steep for me in my current financial state . Reading or Leeds?

Mobyduck
21-04-2013, 21:42
Just to throw a spanner in the works , has there been a Brighton trip,I realise its a long haul for the more northen among us, as is Leeds for me in reverse, but there is a cracking pub scene going on there.

Dave M
21-04-2013, 21:43
Now I'm confused...
...Reading or Leeds?
It is still very confusing. The latest state of play is that there will probably be a meet, I would suggest around the weekend of July 13th (since that gives a reasonable chance of getting some early train deals).

The destination is looking less certain, I would guess that if we do Leeds in July then there will probably be a Reading meet around November or vice versa.

Clearer? No, I thought not! :eek: :confused:

Mobyduck
21-04-2013, 21:48
It is still very confusing. The latest state of play is that there will probably be a meet, I would suggest around the weekend of July 13th (since that gives a reasonable chance of getting some early train deals).

The destination is looking less certain, I would guess that if we do Leeds in July then there will probably be a Reading meet around November or vice versa.

Clearer? No, I thought not! :eek: :confused:
Theres going to be a meet then??? :confused: :evilgrin:

Quinno
21-04-2013, 21:57
Theres going to be a meet then??? :confused: :evilgrin:

Given that we have done a Northern place (Liverpool) I suggest the balance is redressed by a Southern (Reading, for example) next.

Mobyduck
21-04-2013, 22:01
Given that we have done a Northern place (Liverpool) I suggest the balance is redressed by a Southern (Reading, for example) next.
Seconded

ROBCamra
22-04-2013, 08:07

I agree a Southern one would be fair, but READING, really?

I spent quite a bit of time there when I worked in Slough and I wasn't THAT impressed.

Liverpool has 28 GBG listed pubs, Leicester 13, Nottingham 12.

Reading has 6!!! Rochdale has 7 including the POTY and I wouldn't recommend it as a PuG destination

Bucking Fastard
22-04-2013, 08:52

I spent quite a bit of time there when I worked in Slough and I wasn't THAT impressed.

Reading has 6!!! Rochdale has 7 including the POTY and I wouldn't recommend it as a PuG destination

To be fair to Quinno ,he has identified 14 pubs that could be included on a tour ,which is a lot more than I was aware of .The only other southern venues that spring to mind that have decent rail connections from further north and a big choice of GBG pubs are Bristol,Bath and Oxford.Although Brighton sounds interesting,it is more difficult to access from further afield.

Anyway sounds like we are moving towards a definite date ,July 13th.

oldboots
22-04-2013, 09:03
Having suffered Basingstoke I don't have a problem with Reading for the southern venue especially as it's easier than Brighton for travel, agreed it doesn't have the breadth of pubs of the cities mentioned but it does have the Nags Head and the Alehouse.

For a southern city with reasonable rail links avoiding London for us Northerners, what about Pompey? 22 GBG pubs plus three in Gosport and a with native guide. The hotels are probably cheaper than Brighton too.

sheffield hatter
22-04-2013, 09:03

On PuG Reading Central has 70 pubs, Rochdale Central 20. This suggests the fault may lie with Camra's allocation policy rather than the number of quality pubs. I think Reading has been suggested as well because of its good train links. Leaving London aside for a minute, probably only Bristol has comparable train links with the midlands and north. For example, Manchester to Reading is 3h 12m, Reading to Manchester 3h 29m (obviously it's uphill on the return journey).

As a northerner myself, though born in the south, I would prefer on the whole to have PuG meet ups in one or other of our great northern cities, but it does seem fair to spread the travel burden around a little.

Quinno
22-04-2013, 09:11
I

We have an allocation of 18 pubs for GBG from a pool of 160 (including some rural parts of Berks). Just the way it is.

I might also point out that our selection regime is based on stats and scoring, unlike some other 'hands in the air if you like this pub' branches.

Anyway, Reading is just a suggestion - I'd be happy to anywhere in the South.

ROBCamra
22-04-2013, 09:19
Anyway sounds like we are moving towards a definite date ,July 13th.

If it's the 13th July I'm out anyway. :(

I shall be at Derby Beer Festival. :drinkup:

Where there also happens to be 15 GBG listed pubs. :p

Pubsignman
22-04-2013, 10:03
I've got a wedding up in Edinburgh on July 13th, so looks like I'll be missing this one. I suppose the only consolation is that I can look forward to planning a trip to Reading (and Leeds) when next year's fixtures are released!

trainman
22-04-2013, 12:49
I think that price must be something to do with weekend engineering works, the normal advance fare (if you buy far enough ahead) is £13 each way from East Coast trains (or £14.60 from elsewhere).

Yes, I see £14.60e/w currently available for, say, 13July. I wonder if East Coast will do another £10 e/w to anywhere this year?
If folk are heading from London to Reading, try to team up as groupsave applies so you'll get 4 travelling for the price of two...

sheffield hatter
22-04-2013, 14:19
So between 4 of us we've written off all but 2 weekends up to the end of July.

June 29th

July 13th

Previous meet ups have been on Fridays. 29 June & 13 July are Saturdays. In a later post Dave M suggests
"around the weekend of July 13th (since that gives a reasonable chance of getting some early train deals)", which seems like a good idea. So, how about Friday, 12 July?

ROBCamra
22-04-2013, 14:29
Previous meet ups have been on Fridays. 29 June & 13 July are Saturdays. In a later post Dave M suggests
"around the weekend of July 13th (since that gives a reasonable chance of getting some early train deals)", which seems like a good idea. So, how about Friday, 12 July?

Still be in Derby. :(

trainman
22-04-2013, 20:28

Has the Retreat survived? I thought departure/closure was imminent on my last visit.
Jolly Anglers was dreadful, the only time I cast my net in that direction; March?
Zerodegrees doesn't sound a name that many here would aim for but, if you're holding the tour umbrella Quinno, local knowledge & all that...

Soup Dragon
22-04-2013, 21:01
i think i am away the last week in July, i just need as much notice in case i have to change work rota

Mobyduck
22-04-2013, 22:09

I personaly dont think a GBG listed pub is the be all and end all, Iv'e been is some bloody good ones and some decidedly average ones,Reading is an option and is very near to me ,and as a result done a fair percentage of the pubs mentioned before.Other places to consider at the southern end of things could be Winchester,Sailsbury , Portsmouth, but I do favour Brighton as a destination,a fair distance for some I agree but easily accessable from London, end of the day I dont mind where we go for a good day out but personally at the moment due to some financial constraints ,south would suit me in the near future.

Strongers
22-04-2013, 22:56
Brighton is my backyard and would be a great venue for a summer PUG beano. Being selfish I'd rather go somewhere else as I've got an overnight pass and don't want to waste it because I'm only going half an hour up the road.
I used to work in Reading so would like to review some of the pubs I've not been in for ten years. I'd also like to go somewhere new like Bristol which has been mentioned. How about PUG does Wales? We could dump the south and all go to the Shetlands to get them up to 100 on pictures and reviews!

sheffield hatter
23-04-2013, 10:16
We could dump the south and all go to the Shetlands to get them up to 100 on pictures and reviews!

:cool::cool::cool:

Mobyduck
23-04-2013, 20:56
We could dump the south and all go to the Shetlands to get them up to 100 on pictures and reviews!
Any cheap deals on the train?:eek:

Bucking Fastard
28-04-2013, 09:35

Thought I would bump this thread to see if we can get something nailed down.

Reading "around the weekend of July 13th" seems acceptable as the next PuG meet to the following

Strongers
Sheffield Hatter
Moby Duck
oldboots
Quinno
BF
ETA (possible)
Soup Dragon (advanced notice needed for work rota)
Dave M (I assume,advanced train ticket required)
Apologies if I have missed anyone

Sadly PSM and ROBCamra are unavailable,but we still have a decent number interested and a lot of " regulars" havent indicated either way as yet.

Sheffield Hatter makes a good point in the quote.As this is a southern based tour ,I wont be staying overnight and am just looking to join the main crawl.Others may wish to stay overnight and this may well drive the decision on which day to hold the tour.Either Friday 12th or Saturday July 13th are fine by me.Thoughts ?

Quinno
28-04-2013, 13:06
Sheffield Hatter makes a good point in the quote.As this is a southern based tour ,I wont be staying overnight and am just looking to join the main crawl.Others may wish to stay overnight and this may well drive the decision on which day to hold the tour.Either Friday 12th or Saturday July 13th are fine by me.Thoughts ?

I'm fine with either. I suppose I'd prefer Saturday as that means I won't have to take a day off.

I guess we also need to finalize the Southern venue. I threw Reading in for convenience (for all, not just me!) but by all means choose somewhere else.

Mobyduck
28-04-2013, 14:59
Thought I would bump this thread to see if we can get something nailed down.

Reading "around the weekend of July 13th" seems acceptable as the next PuG meet to the following

Strongers
Sheffield Hatter
Moby Duck
oldboots
Quinno
BF
ETA (possible)
Soup Dragon (advanced notice needed for work rota)
Dave M (I assume,advanced train ticket required)
Apologies if I have missed anyone

Sadly PSM and ROBCamra are unavailable,but we still have a decent number interested and a lot of " regulars" havent indicated either way as yet.

I'm fine with either. I suppose I'd prefer Saturday as that means I won't have to take a day off.

I guess we also need to finalize the Southern venue. I threw Reading in for convenience (for all, not just me!) but by all means choose somewhere else.
The above quotes are OK with me, leaning toward the Saturday for the same reasons as Quinno but either are OK.

Oggwyn Trench
28-04-2013, 15:30
No way i can make the Friday but i will probally be able to make Saturday if the train prices come down , well over £40 at the moment:eek:

Strongers
28-04-2013, 18:43
I'm good for either date.

Is it Reading then?

gillhalfpint
28-04-2013, 18:47
Can't remember if I have replied or not, but we will be in Cornwall so cannot attend.

oldboots
28-04-2013, 18:54
If it's Reading then I would prefer the Saturday, if it's Leeds then either day suits.

sheffield hatter
28-04-2013, 21:36

Getting a Saturday off is just as hard for me as getting a Friday off is for most others, it seems, but I'm happy to join in if that's the preferred date. So are we on for Saturday 13th July? Those of us coming from t'north need to know fairly soon in order to book favourably priced train tickets!

Bucking Fastard
28-04-2013, 22:38
Getting a Saturday off is just as hard for me as getting a Friday off is for most others, it seems, but I'm happy to join in if that's the preferred date. So are we on for Saturday 13th July? Those of us coming from t'north need to know fairly soon in order to book favourably priced train tickets!

Reading on Saturday 13th July does look like the decision,will book time off accordingly.Looking forward to seeing Quinno wield his umbrella;)

Real Ale Ray
28-04-2013, 22:38
I'll go for either Friday or Saturday, so count me in:cheers:

Strongers
28-04-2013, 23:03
Count me in.
Looking forward to seeing the pub crawl list!

sheffield hatter
28-04-2013, 23:24
No way i can make the Friday but i will probally be able to make Saturday if the train prices come down , well over £40 at the moment:eek:

You can sometimes get cheaper fares by breaking the journey at Birmingham, rather than booking a through ticket.

Quinno
28-04-2013, 23:48
You can sometimes get cheaper fares by breaking the journey at Birmingham, rather than booking a through ticket.

Or Banbury

sheffield hatter
29-04-2013, 09:06

Or Banbury

I've managed to reduce my fare from £57.50 (Sheffield to Reading and return) to £43.20 by chunking it up into bits: Sheffield to Derby, Derby to Birmingham, Birmingham to Banbury, Banbury to Reading. (Two hours 46 minutes there, three hours 44 minutes back.) Still seems quite expensive...

Quinno
29-04-2013, 13:09
I've managed to reduce my fare from £57.50 (Sheffield to Reading and return) to £43.20 by chunking it up into bits: Sheffield to Derby, Derby to Birmingham, Birmingham to Banbury, Banbury to Reading. (Two hours 46 minutes there, three hours 44 minutes back.) Still seems quite expensive...

Perhaps, then, it might be instructive to see if there are cheaper options for 'the South' - Bristol, Bath, Oxford...? Or we could shunt the date forward by a month to allow for advance tickets?

Soup Dragon
29-04-2013, 13:35
Perhaps, then, it might be instructive to see if there are cheaper options for 'the South' - Bristol, Bath, Oxford...? Or we could shunt the date forward by a month to allow for advance tickets?

Oxford sounds nice!

Strongers
29-04-2013, 13:37
Kings cross to Cambridge £6 each way at the moment.

sheffield hatter
29-04-2013, 14:48
Oxford sounds nice!

...but Bristol seems more apposite!

Quinno
29-04-2013, 22:31
Kings cross to Cambridge £6 each way at the moment.

ha ha but any prices from Leeds??

Quinno
29-04-2013, 22:37
From Leeds to Bristol (no breaks or cards) - £61 Sat £100 Fri

From Leeds to Oxford - £55 Sat £85 Fri

From Leeds to Brighton - £74 either day

Soup Dragon
29-04-2013, 22:50
...but Bristol seems more apposite!

Bristol sounds nice :D

PaulOfHorsham
29-04-2013, 22:56
From Leeds to Brighton - £74 either day

Southern will do you singles to/from Victoria/Brighton for £5, although these are Advances and tie you to a specific train - East Coast may well have similarly restrictive (albeit a little pricier) deals for Leeds/Kings Cross. In fact I see that they have - £22.15 each way for Saturday 13th.

Anyway, I'm tempted by a Reading trip (obviously Brighton's handy too).

Strongers
30-04-2013, 02:25
We seem to be going backwards!

Can someone set up a poll so we can have a vote on the location?

Reading, Leeds, Brighton, Bristol, Oxford, Cambridge, Swindon ;), Shetlands :o

Roger, Clive, Jim the Train… are you up for this one?

trainman
30-04-2013, 12:49
We seem to be going backwards!
Roger, Clive, Jim the Train… are you up for this one?
If it were to be Leeds I'd want to know fairly soon for apex fare; any of the others are quite easy for me, so likely to be in attendance.
I did wonder about Cambridge/Peterborough, but those are rather time-consuming for our western contingent.
I aint ticked Bath yet, but neither have my regular casketeers so that can be done any-ish time.
There, another definitive answer for the list! :whistle:

Quinno
30-04-2013, 13:58
Not the North - I think we settled that at least vis-a-vis Liverpool having been done before and the rest were all Midlands.

This time it's the South (of Birmingham!)

Strongers
30-04-2013, 14:37
Bath sounds interesting and is a pound cheaper at the moment than it would cost me to get to Reading… Heaven knows why??! It would also stay overnight so I would get two days on the sauce out of it. I can’t really justify staying in Reading as it is less than three hours away.

oldboots
30-04-2013, 16:23
Anything south of Birmingham would be an overnight for me, probably two nights, so it might get a bit pricy. Reading is cheap and easy for travel and hotel but I have been there too often.

My single transferable voting would be:

1. Bristol

2. Brighton

3. Cambridge

4. Bath

5. Oxford

Quinno
30-04-2013, 17:43
Anything south of Birmingham would be an overnight for me, probably two nights, so it might get a bit pricy. Reading is cheap and easy for travel and hotel but I have been there too often.

My single transferable voting would be:

1. Bristol

2. Brighton

3. Cambridge

4. Bath

5. Oxford

I've done all those to some degree so will abstain from this vote...

Bucking Fastard
30-04-2013, 18:21
I thought we had settled on Reading for Saturday 13th July and then Leeds next with the actual date to be arranged for Leeds at some point in the future.

I have earmarked Saturday 13th and would prefer Reading,but if there is a strong consensus for somewhere else then I will look into fares and logistics.

Soup Dragon
30-04-2013, 19:16
I thought we had settled on Reading for Saturday 13th July

I can do Sat 13th Reading for £34 return - but i will need to change rota. I just need a quick decision on day and place really

Strongers
30-04-2013, 19:51
I think that we’ve settled on the 13th July, but where to go?

I’m really am easy with any of the locations that have been mentioned. I would lean towards Bath, Bristol or Cambridge but if we agree on Reading so be it. I’m sure we’ll have a good day wherever we go.

Mobyduck
30-04-2013, 19:59
I thought we had settled on Reading for Saturday 13th July and then Leeds next with the actual date to be arranged for Leeds at some point in the future.

I have earmarked Saturday 13th and would prefer Reading,but if there is a strong consensus for somewhere else then I will look into fares and logistics.

I can do Sat 13th Reading for £34 return - but i will need to change rota. I just need a quick decision on day and place really
Well I am happy with Reading on this date, we can agree on pubs later, other southernish destinations I can probably do but Leeds will be possibly a tad to far for me in the next few months unless there are some amazing train deals on offer ,last time I looked it was about £72.00 (I'm not an expert in these matters), too much for me for a day on the beer at the moment.

sheffield hatter
30-04-2013, 20:56

Likewise. I've actually booked the day off, so just need to know where to buy tickets to. The deal I saw the other day may not last much longer, and the longer we delay, the more expensive it's likely to get. As there doesn't seem to be much of a concerted movement towards other southern towns or cities (and unfortunately Shetland does seem to be a bit of a non-starter ;)), I think we should stick with Reading. (I suggest we keep Bristol and Brighton in mind for future trips, though.)

PaulOfHorsham
30-04-2013, 21:32
Hope I didn't set too many cats amongst pigeons! Anyway, Reading would be good for me, as would 13th July.

Soup Dragon
30-04-2013, 23:50
Likewise. I've actually booked the day off, so just need to know where to buy tickets to. The deal I saw the other day may not last much longer, and the longer we delay, the more expensive it's likely to get. As there doesn't seem to be much of a concerted movement towards other southern towns or cities (and unfortunately Shetland does seem to be a bit of a non-starter ;)), I think we should stick with Reading. (I suggest we keep Bristol and Brighton in mind for future trips, though.)

Let's go with the hatster! I really need to see the Nags Head, as recommended by Quinno on 94 occasions - Bristol next southern trip, Leeds up north and 25 trips to the midland in between. Seems fair!

Strongers
01-05-2013, 00:17
Sounds like it's job done... Can I book my ticket to Reading?

Bucking Fastard
01-05-2013, 06:37
Sounds like it's job done... Can I book my ticket to Reading?

I would say so,should be a good days drinking.

gillhalfpint
01-05-2013, 07:59
Wow, that must be the longest decision making process so far. Glad you are sorted and you can think of us in Cornwall with our Skinners, Sharps and St Austell!!

Dave M
01-05-2013, 09:24
Wow, that must be the longest decision making process so far!!
I was thinking we might still be trying to make a decision on the morning of July 13th.

Anyway yeah Reading sounds good, I certainly intend to be there :)

I reckon that is about 7-8 of us that have indicated we can probably make it, now to drum up some more interest since we have settled on a time and place!

Soup Dragon
01-05-2013, 10:21
I was thinking we might still be trying to make a decision on the morning of July 13th.

Anyway yeah Reading sounds good

Great, i will try to sort out a change in our rotas and book tickets on choo-choo

Bring on the 'Nags' - already written my review, with a 1/10 score.

Quinno
01-05-2013, 10:30
Bring on the 'Nags' - already written my review, with a 1/10 score.

:evilgrin:

Quinno
01-05-2013, 10:48

Strongers
01-05-2013, 11:28
Tickets booked!!!
I arrive in Reading at 10:54 and have to depart at 21:34.

trainman
01-05-2013, 13:20
Tickets booked!!!
I arrive in Reading at 10:54 and have to depart at 21:34.

Just the 10.5hrs on the lash Strongers? :notworthy:

Trains:
a) Do NOT forget London-Reading groupsave. Can be bought on the day, if necessary. Organise groups of 4 for half price travel (as long as you return together), making it £8.60pp rtn to Reading (~30mins).
b) Strongers, did you remember the Southern hop on/off open day ticket? £14 in advance, & so much nicer than FCC.
c) Leeds - London, seems the £14.60s have gone. Gamblers who don't mind a longer journey could get day rtns to Sheffield and hope for super-cheapies on megatrain to StP (bidding opens ~01:00 29May?), before linking up with others at Paddington (see 'a', above)
d) Manchester - London, currently available £31.50rtn 06Jul but those prices not (yet?) open for 13Jul. Academic, as locals here have opined re Reading, and will be on the sauce elsewhere.
e) Liverpool - London, there is a 'same day rtn' (presumably on specific trains, which includes London travelcard, for £38. Can't see it for 13Jul yet but it's there for 06Jul so will presumably become available over the next few days.

Quinno, the pressure is ON!

Quinno
01-05-2013, 14:04
Quinno, the pressure is ON!

I've got a job interview today so in context, leading you lot around on the lash doesn't bother me! As acknowledged, Reading doesn't necessarily have the breadth of pubs that somewhere like Derby has, but there's more than enough to keep you lot busy for 8 hours!

Mobyduck
01-05-2013, 18:41

Anyway yeah Reading sounds good, I certainly intend to be there :)

I reckon that is about 7-8 of us that have indicated we can probably make it, now to drum up some more interest since we have settled on a time and place!
Well I'm definitely on board and a mate of mine has indicated he may like to come along too.

Gann
02-05-2013, 10:34
That's the week the Wife has booked a cottage in Portmeirion village, so I wont be able to join this one..

But I will be thinking of you whilst attempting to increase the photo and review % for Gwynedd.

Quinno
02-05-2013, 10:41
That's the week the Wife has booked a cottage in Portmeirion village, so I wont be able to join this one..

But I will be thinking of you whilst attempting to increase the photo and review % for Gwynedd.

I went there earlier this year, it was lovely!

Dave M
02-05-2013, 10:45

Sorry to hear we wont Be Seeing You. Good luck with escaping from The Village.

trainman
02-05-2013, 12:42
I've got a job interview today so in context, leading you lot around on the lash doesn't bother me!
A surprisingly relaxed approach to the task in hand Quinno, I hope the interview wasn't for a job in the pub-crawl industry! ;)
Dare we ask how it went..?

Mobyduck
02-05-2013, 19:45
Well I'm definitely on board and a mate of mine has indicated he may like to come along too.
Just realized its the same date as my local beer festival so my mate who's promised to work a bit of it wont attend but I'm still going despite the beer festival I was looking forward to, I prefer pubs anyway.

aleandhearty
03-05-2013, 10:08
Would really like to make Reading, particularly with missing out on Leicester. Realistically, I'll probably have to combine it with a visit to family in London, to make it work.

Quinno
09-05-2013, 17:38
PLEASE NOTE REVISED MEET POINT!!!

Current route below (subject to change and timings are approximate!):

'Officially' (I will of course be available to meet the early birds who wish to Spoon-it-up with beer and breakfast at 10:30am!) meet at:

1. The Three Guineas (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1776/) - I will arrive midday, all to depart earlier than 1pm if possible
*Number 23 bus to Caversham
2. Fox and Hounds (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61613/) – arrive 1.15pm
Catch 22/24 back to town
3. The Nags Head (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1691/)– arrive 2.30pm. Pies available here for the hungry, take just under 10 mins to come out so order early. Largest ale selection so longest drinking time!
*Then catch 17 to East Reading
4a/b. The Retreat (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1728/)/The Lyndhurst (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1682/) – we’ll arrive here 3.45pm. As the two pubs are less than a minute apart and both quite small, in order to avoid bar cloggage and maximise drinking time, I suggest the group splits 50/50 and swaps between the two
*13 minute walk to
5. Hop Leaf (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1664/) – arrive 4.40pm
*8 minute downhill walk to
6. Zerodegrees (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55743/) – arrive 5.15pm. Depending on time, we may decide to split the group so the early departures get a fair crack at the Alehouse.
*Short walk to
7. The Alehouse (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1661/) (nee Hobgoblin) - arrive 6.00

That completes the circuit, based on SheffieldHatter being the earliest departure at 18.40

Given that there’s quite a large overlap in departure times, I think it’d be better to end at the Alehouse rather than start there, as Reading BR is only a few minutes walk. It also gives others a chance to try other pubs in RG1 from a central base if they wish.

For those going late, there’s the possibility of getting a pint and pie at Sweeney and Todd (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61601/) (just over the way from Zerodegrees) or heading back to the Nags (as Strongers will be doing his one-man tour of the Wild West (Reading)). From the Nags it’s around 10 mins to the station so long as you don’t get lost!

I’ve dropped some previous wildcards as my research has shown that there is not the quality to justify the time if we are to make it round sensibly (my crawling pace may be somewhat swifter than others!). The Jolly Anglers and Abbot Cook are too off-piste and not (IMO) good enough to divert out for. The Eldon will likely be closed as Trainman pointed out, which is a shame.

PaulOfHorsham
09-05-2013, 20:10
Visitors to Reading might want to consider a PlusBus (http://www.plusbus.info/reading) add-on at £3 (as long as its valid for the correct operators and areas). According to the website, there's even a £2 deal in June & July.

Mobyduck
09-05-2013, 21:03
Visitors to Reading might want to consider a PlusBus (http://www.plusbus.info/reading) add-on at £3 (as long as its valid for the correct operators and areas). According to the website, there's even a £2 deal in June & July.
Interesting, we need a plan of action pub wise first, over to you Quinno.

Quinno
09-05-2013, 21:54
Interesting, we need a plan of action pub wise first, over to you Quinno.

Umm I posted one earlier!??

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?13889-PuG-Summer-meet-2013-%28Anybody-for-Leeds-%29-%28or-maybe-Reading%29&p=54649&viewfull=1#post54649

Mobyduck
09-05-2013, 23:15
Umm I posted one earlier!??

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?13889-PuG-Summer-meet-2013-%28Anybody-for-Leeds-%29-%28or-maybe-Reading%29&p=54649&viewfull=1#post54649
Good to see your on the ball, even if I'm not:rolleyes:

Mobyduck
09-05-2013, 23:26
Based on where the Reading beer scene currently is, I've sketched out a rough itinerary (seeing as there hasn't been an overwhelming response to the minibus suggestion :p )

'Officially' meet at:

1. The Alehouse (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1661/)

Then bus (all-day ticket around £4 but can use Groupsave depending on numbers) to

2. Fox and Hounds (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61613/)

with a wildcard of the GBG regular JDW:
The Baron Cadogan (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56820/)

Then bus and short walk to

3. The Nags Head (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1691/)

Then bus to

Wildcard
Abbot Cook (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1802/)

4. The Retreat (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1728/)

Wildcard
The Eldon Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1622/)

5. The Lyndhurst (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1682/)

Then walk to

6. Hop Leaf (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1664/)

Then walk to

7. Zerodegrees (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55743/) or Sweeney and Todd (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61601/) (beer in one, beer and pies in t’other if hungry)

Walk to

8. The Three Guineas (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1776/) (for train departures; the adventurous/late departures) can check out The Oakford Social Club (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1631/) in addition

I will of course be available to meet the early birds who wish to Spoon-it-up with beer and breakfast at 10:30am!
Six unvisited by me in the above mentioned although the talk of spoons does fill me with some trepidation :eek:

Quinno
09-05-2013, 23:42
Six unvisited by me in the above mentioned although the talk of spoons does fill me with some trepidation :eek:

Ha ha, yes well it's been GBG pretty much every year since 2008 I think so it's one of life's better examples. It is a wildcard, that can be played depending on time and strength of feeling on the day.

I've just been putting together the latest beer scores for the branch and the Jolly Anglers seems to be doing OK so I'll check that out a few extra times and see if that's worth a punt...

Mobyduck
10-05-2013, 06:42
Ha ha, yes well it's been GBG pretty much every year since 2008 I think so it's one of life's better examples. It is a wildcard, that can be played depending on time and strength of feeling on the day.

I've just been putting together the latest beer scores for the branch and the Jolly Anglers seems to be doing OK so I'll check that out a few extra times and see if that's worth a punt...
Whats happening with the Allied Arms, my previous experiences are that its a nice pub but the beer range is a bit dull, is this still the case?

Bucking Fastard
10-05-2013, 08:22
Well done Quinno ,the list looks interesting and glad to see a real mix of different kinds of drinking establishments.I am arriving at 11.09 so will join the early brigade,is the 'spoons near the station or are there other options early doors ?

oldboots
10-05-2013, 08:50
good list Quinno, especially as I don't know Caversham.

Which 'spoons were you thinking of, is it the one between the station and the Alehouse Monks Retreat (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56814/) ? I'll be in Reading early Saturday morning so I might drop in there rather than the one at the other end of Friar St with its "faint whiff of despair".

Quinno
10-05-2013, 08:53
Whats happening with the Allied Arms, my previous experiences are that its a nice pub but the beer range is a bit dull, is this still the case?
It's a nice pub alright but the scores coming in for it (and personal experience over the last 18 months) are consistently below par; the beer is often tired and this might well be because of the sky-high prices (£3.80+ for London Pride and Loddon!). I'll add it in as a wildcard as given the location I imagine some people might run screaming for the hills in Zerodegrees! The beer range varies; Pride and Loddon are permanent and there's up to three guests from the Enterprise lists...be warned that these may be hitting close to the £4 mark come trip-time!

Well done Quinno ,the list looks interesting and glad to see a real mix of different kinds of drinking establishments.I am arriving at 11.09 so will join the early brigade,is the 'spoons near the station or are there other options early doors ?

Which 'spoons were you thinking of, is it the one between the station and the Alehouse Monks Retreat (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56814/) ? I'll be in Reading early Saturday morning so I might drop in there rather than the one at the other end of Friar St with its "faint whiff of despair".

The Monks Retreat (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56814/) is the closest to the station. Beer scores so far for 2013 are fairly good and it's a lot better than the Hope Tap (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1665/) at the other end of the street. The best RG1 JDW is the Back Of Beyond (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1576/) but that's a bit of hike from the station. It's GBG though and if it wasn't for their stupid beer festival stillage they'd do much better. I figure the Baron Cadogan in Caversham is a better bet for a token Spoons, I might set off a revolt if I included two on the official itinerary. :eek:

Real Ale Ray
10-05-2013, 11:55
Quinno, any idea (roughly) when we'll be finished up in Reading?? Not easy I know, but haven't booked my ticket yet and don't want to miss out on a gem...

Quinno
10-05-2013, 12:18
Quinno, any idea (roughly) when we'll be finished up in Reading?? Not easy I know, but haven't booked my ticket yet and don't want to miss out on a gem...

It usually depends on when everyone has booked their return tickets...Strongers is on an all day mission by the looks of his post, but of course he has less distance to travel back...

I'm presuming 7-8pm.

london calling
10-05-2013, 21:08
I have drank in Reading 6 or 7 times and i always go to Zerodegrees.Swap it for any Mcspoons easily.

Mobyduck
10-05-2013, 21:14
I have drank in Reading 6 or 7 times and i always go to Zerodegrees.Swap it for any Mcspoons easily.
I'm with you there.

sheffield hatter
10-05-2013, 22:47
It usually depends on when everyone has booked their return tickets...Strongers is on an all day mission by the looks of his post, but of course he has less distance to travel back...

I'm presuming 7-8pm.

I'm arriving at 12:09 and departing on the 18:40.

Bucking Fastard
11-05-2013, 11:13

I dont have far to travel,arriving 11.09 ,departing 20.46

Mobyduck
11-05-2013, 12:04

I dont have far to travel,arriving 11.09 ,departing 20.46
Arrive 11.00- Leave whenever.

Strongers
11-05-2013, 14:26
Just the 10.5hrs on the lash Strongers? :notworthy:

Avin’ it large init!! :drinkup:

There are a couple of pubs that I used to frequent when I was living and working in Reading circa 2001 that I would like to revisit. I thought that I’d give them a go after everyone had departed which is why I went for a late return train. I didn’t think that Quinno would be considering taking us all too any pubs along the Oxford Road which is where I used to live… It was horrible, but cheap!!!

Quinno
11-05-2013, 15:00

There are a couple of pubs that I used to frequent when I was living and working in Reading circa 2001 that I would like to revisit. I thought that I’d give them a go after everyone had departed which is why I went for a late return train. I didn’t think that Quinno would be considering taking us all too any pubs along the Oxford Road which is where I used to live… It was horrible, but cheap!!!

Feckin' hell, Oxford Rd! I might just be leathered enough by then to join you. I live near the Butler so it isn't a million miles from my door.

Mobyduck
11-05-2013, 16:26

Feckin' hell, Oxford Rd! I might just be leathered enough by then to join you. I live near the Butler so it isn't a million miles from my door.
I've done a bit of drinking down the Oxford Road myself over the years, as Quinno says Feckin' hell, it wont be about the beer but you will get a Guinness or two.

Strongers
11-05-2013, 19:21
Yeah, it's a bit rough and ready around there! I was thinking more of the Rose and Thistle which is on the edge of the bad lands.
I used to rent a room down Elm Park Road. The house over the road had a burnt out car in the garden for the whole year I stayed there. There were also some funny goings on a couple of doors down where different gentlemen would turn up at all hours. I was never tempted to investigate further!

Mobyduck
11-05-2013, 19:27
Yeah, it's a bit rough and ready around there! I was thinking more of the Rose and Thistle which is on the edge of the bad lands.
I used to rent a room down Elm Park Road. The house over the road had a burnt out car in the garden for the whole year I stayed there. There were also some funny goings on a couple of doors down where different gentlemen would turn up at all hours. I was never tempted to investigate further!
You was in the posh bit then. :whistle:

Strongers
11-05-2013, 19:48
You was in the posh bit then. :whistle:

I thought it was wonderful, but I did move there from Cricklewood!

Quinno
11-05-2013, 21:13
[QUOTE=Strongers;54711]Yeah, it's a bit rough and ready around there! I was thinking more of the Rose and Thistle which is on the edge of the bad lands.
I used to rent a room down Elm Park Road. The house over the road had a burnt out car in the garden for the whole year I stayed there. There were also some funny goings on a couple of

Rose & Thistle (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1734/) is quite tarted up now! Not a bad little place actually. The area is going slowly upmarket as younger professionals are starting to move in, especially round where the Spread Eagle is. The streets round by the Wishing Well, Pond House and Royal Albion are still a bit skanky.

an_ecumenical_matter
20-05-2013, 11:18
I'm in !!! Working till 1115 that day but 1245 arrival in Reading is the intent.

Mobyduck
20-05-2013, 19:49
I'm in !!! Working till 1115 that day but 1245 arrival in Reading is the intent.
That's dedication.

Soup Dragon
22-05-2013, 09:35
I have swopped my shift and just need to book the train - are we getting a plus bus ticket on top then?

Quinno
22-05-2013, 10:05
I have swopped my shift and just need to book the train - are we getting a plus bus ticket on top then?

yes, do so if you can. It makes the day a bit more exciting :D

trainman
22-05-2013, 12:51
I was noticing that the Caversham pubs, despite not being too too far out (0.9m from stn), are in opp direction to most targets and, during a timebound day, an accelerated transfer to Nags has to be a good thing; so even I may fork out if I can get the plusbus for £2! Can't vouch for the yorkies tho... :whistle:

Quinno
22-05-2013, 13:00

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2134425_mans_teeth_broken_in_fight_outside_west_re ading_pub

Mobyduck
22-05-2013, 20:10
http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2134425_mans_teeth_broken_in_fight_outside_west_re ading_pub
Thought this was par for the course in the Oxford Road , surprised it made the news. :whistle:

Mobyduck
22-05-2013, 20:15

yes, do so if you can. It makes the day a bit more exciting :D
Can you buy the plus bus ticket on the day on the bus?

Quinno
22-05-2013, 23:35

Judging by the text here, no: http://www.plusbus.info/reading-plusbus-includes-woodley

But an all-day ticket (purchsed on the bus) is only a couple of quid extra (£4) and a groupsave is:

"4 go together - simplyReading group only £8 and valid all day. Any 4 people travelling together, can be a combination of adults & children, all adults or all children!"

is £2pp so perhaps it might be easier to buy on the day? Of course, it depends on how many show up so perhaps get the plusbus anyway?!? Who is good at maths?

trainman
23-05-2013, 12:59

No, they are supposed to be bought in conjunction with a train ticket; train, plus bus...

Quinno
31-05-2013, 12:05

And another!

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2134919_southcote_men_charged_after_incident_in_we st_reading_pub

Mobyduck
31-05-2013, 19:39
And another!

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2134919_southcote_men_charged_after_incident_in_we st_reading_pub

Drunk and disorderly !!! what ever next.

aleandhearty
12-06-2013, 23:23
Having missed Leicester, I'm rather gutted to announce I won't be able to make Reading either. I've just found out tonight it clashes with a close friend's fiftieth bash. Oh, well. Third time lucky.

london calling
16-06-2013, 23:01
As today is father,s day and I like reading I usually get booktokens but as I also like Reading I got a train ticket and beer tokens.Can catch the slow train from Ealing Broadway saves me going into London and will be there at 11.30.See you at the Alehouse.£14.50 return seems a bargain to me.cheers john

Mobyduck
17-06-2013, 20:35
As today is father,s day and I like reading I usually get booktokens but as I also like Reading I got a train ticket and beer tokens.Can catch the slow train from Ealing Broadway saves me going into London and will be there at 11.30.See you at the Alehouse.£14.50 return seems a bargain to me.cheers john
See you there John.

PaulOfHorsham
17-06-2013, 21:44
A quick National Rail check suggests that I'll probably be arriving at Reading at 11:24 and then heading off to The Alehouse to meet up. Train home likely to be at 19:34. Less than 4 weeks to go!

london calling
17-06-2013, 22:47
See you there John.

looking forward to it cheers

Soup Dragon
18-06-2013, 12:50
Just booked my train tickets and plus bus. It is amazing, £9 cheaper if i split the journey at Banbury, without actually getting off the train. Nag's Head will get at least 1/10, as i am in a good mood.:cheers:

Quinno
18-06-2013, 13:07
Just booked my train tickets and plus bus. It is amazing, £9 cheaper if i split the journey at Banbury, without actually getting off the train. Nag's Head will get at least 1/10, as i am in a good mood.:cheers:

The only reason we're going to the Nags is because you keep talking about it :p

Soup Dragon
18-06-2013, 13:45
The only reason we're going to the Nags is because you keep talking about it :p

I offer that, "My favourite in Reading and one of the best in the South" and "I love this pub and you’ll find me in here quite often", does suggest that isn't quite true that I am the "only reason":D

Looking forward to it - I just hope Real Ale Ray doesn't 'Yam Yam' someone in the loos.

Soup Dragon
18-06-2013, 14:15
I forgot to say, i get in at 11.11am and have to get the 20.10 back. It is amazing that you can knock £9 off a train ticket with getting off the train, simply by braking the tickets (at Banbury). Has anyone else experienced this?

Strongers
18-06-2013, 14:38
I forgot to say, i get in at 11.11am and have to get the 20.10 back. It is amazing that you can knock £9 off a train ticket with getting off the train, simply by braking the tickets (at Banbury). Has anyone else experienced this?

Yep! when I booked, a ticket from Eastbourne to Gatwick and then Gatwick to Reading was far cheaper than one ticket from Eastbourne to Reading. I have to change at Gatwick anyway so I will be getting the same trains as if I booked the journey as one.
Madness!

Oggwyn Trench
18-06-2013, 18:51

If i go , Telford - Brum New St - Brum Moor st - Banbury - Reading , its about £14 less than , Telford - New st - Reading ...... still looking sure i will get it lower

Real Ale Ray
18-06-2013, 20:33
I offer that, "My favourite in Reading and one of the best in the South" and "I love this pub and you’ll find me in here quite often", does suggest that isn't quite true that I am the "only reason":D

Looking forward to it - I just hope Real Ale Ray doesn't 'Yam Yam' someone in the loos.

Sorry to disappoint, but RAR will be on his best behaviour as Reading is down South and posh!

Mobyduck
18-06-2013, 20:37
Sorry to disappoint, but RAR will be on his best behaviour as Reading is down South and posh!
I know its down South ,but posh ? :confused: :eek:
p.s. its North to me :D

Soup Dragon
19-06-2013, 00:08

Nice to know you feel at home in the Black Country, mate

Quinno
19-06-2013, 14:17
OK, to keep track of who's is coming and when:

Sat July 13
In and confirmed Arr Dpt
1. Quinno FILO - FILO
2. an_ecumenical_matter 12.45 -
3. Bucking Fastard 11.09 - 20.46
4. Dave M
5. london calling 11.30-
6. Mobyduck 10.30 - Whenever!
7. oldboots 10.30 - n/a
8. PaulOfHorsham 11:24- 19:34
9. Real Ale Ray 10:38 - 19.10
10. sheffield hatter 12:09 - 18:40
11. Soup Dragon 11.11 - 20.10
12. Strongers 10:54 - 21:34
13. RogerB 10ish - ????
14. Oggwyn Trench 11ish - 8ish)
15. trainman (+2) 11-??

Out
ROBCamra
gillhalfpint
Gann
aleandhearty
PubSignMan
ETA

Have I missed anyone?

Current Itinerary (subject to change!!): http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?13889-PuG-Summer-meet-2013-%28Anybody-for-Leeds-%29-%28or-maybe-Reading%29&p=54649&viewfull=1#post54649

I'll PM my mobile number out to those who are coming.

Real Ale Ray
19-06-2013, 17:42
Arriving - 10.38
Departing - 19.10

Bucking Fastard
19-06-2013, 18:32
Arriving - 10.38
Departing - 19.10

Sounds like there will be a good crowd in The Monks Retreat (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56814/) for the early kick off early,I will head straight there for something to line to stomach.

Oggwyn Trench
19-06-2013, 19:38
Still working on it hope to arrive 11-11 probally same train as Soupy leave either 19-10 or 20-10

National rail enquiries has just given me this gem of a route ;)

Telford - Brum New St - Euston - Waterloo - Woking - Heathrow - then Bus to Reading Bus Station and then Bus to Reading Train Station :confused:

oldboots
19-06-2013, 19:53
I'll be in the Monks Retreat from about 10:30 and don 't have to leave Reading on Saturday evening as I have a room booked somewhere.

trainman
20-06-2013, 00:07
Monks Retreat from about 10:30 and don 't have to leave Reading on Saturday.
Don't have to, or won't be capable to....? :drinkup:

oldboots
20-06-2013, 07:43
Don't have to, or won't be capable to....? :drinkup:

probably both:nishelypished:

Mobyduck
20-06-2013, 09:29
I'll be in the Monks Retreat from about 10:30 and don 't have to leave Reading on Saturday evening as I have a room booked somewhere.
I shall aim to make the Monks Retreat (even though this will mean two JDW's in a day :eek:) I have only about 30 mins train journey including one connection so will probably aim for 10.30.

Soup Dragon
20-06-2013, 13:12
I shall aim to make the Monks Retreat (even though this will mean two JDW's in a day :eek:) I have only about 30 mins train journey including one connection so will probably aim for 10.30.

I was hoping to visit the Abbey ruins (was going to ask oldboots), sadly, it is closed - health & safety. I shall then go to the Monk's Retreat after arrival. I will need to find out where it is - what we need is a website that gives names, locations and maps to all the pubs in a given place:p

ETA
05-07-2013, 10:11
Damn damn damn - I now can't make it.

Quinno
05-07-2013, 16:18
Damn damn damn - I now can't make it.

boo :(

trainman
09-07-2013, 12:21
Based on where the Reading beer scene currently is, I've sketched out a rough itinerary
!

You have the umbrella in the air Quinno, but just to say I think the Eldon may be closed at the estimated time you'll be in that area. Doesn't she still shut afternoons, even on Saturday?
I hope to be over and will msg in to pick up the trail if I miss the off, but I'm not a deffo so, if not, have a TOP day...!
(only an hour in Nags?)

Quinno
09-07-2013, 13:49
You have the umbrella in the air Quinno, but just to say I think the Eldon may be closed at the estimated time you'll be in that area. Doesn't she still shut afternoons, even on Saturday?
I hope to be over and will msg in to pick up the trail if I miss the off, but I'm not a deffo so, if not, have a TOP day...!
(only an hour in Nags?)

A good reminder that I need to check the opening times but these days I think the Eldon is an interesting curio rather than the 'should-visit' it was a few years ago so if it's shut then never mind...

If anyone wants my mobile number do drop me a PM ASAP.

RogerB
10-07-2013, 13:55
Have I missed anyone?

Haven't really been following the thread very closely but I'm in. I have a gig in Surbiton in the evening and then a music festival in Guildford the next day so will need to be a bit more selective about the day's events and I'll probably cut out some of the bus ride pubs but we'll see how it goes. Will aim for the Alehouse midday after my customary Spoons brekky.

Quinno
10-07-2013, 14:05
Haven't really been following the thread very closely but I'm in. I have a gig in Surbiton in the evening and then a music festival in Guildford the next day so will need to be a bit more selective about the day's events and I'll probably cut out some of the bus ride pubs but we'll see how it goes. Will aim for the Alehouse midday after my customary Spoons brekky.

Don't take 'bus ride' too literally. None are more than 15 minute's walk. You should definitely come to the Fox & Hounds!

Quinno
10-07-2013, 14:09
Anyone got Dave's number? He is in but no confirmed time as yet.

RogerB
10-07-2013, 14:09
Not really done any homework yet - it's all rather crept up on me! Must pull my finger out.

Quinno
10-07-2013, 14:47
Not really done any homework yet - it's all rather crept up on me! Must pull my finger out.

I did wonder where you're name was on the list - I just assumed you'd show up on the day!

an_ecumenical_matter
10-07-2013, 19:44
You don't need to get off, the train just has to call at the "split" station.

Soup Dragon
11-07-2013, 09:40
You don't need to get off, the train just has to call at the "split" station.

Sorry, yes - it was supposed to say 'without getting off the train'!

Quinno
11-07-2013, 13:29
To throw this in now, it might be a good idea on Saturday to try and firm up the next couple of meet-up venues to avoid long, drawn out sagas (like this one was!).

I believe that we'll be equal on the North/South splits after Saturday, as all the other venues have been fairly central.

Some suggestions thrown around at various points were Leeds (North), Bath (South), Shrewsbury (centralish...)

Let's see where the beer takes us...

Quinno
11-07-2013, 15:20
DEAR ALL - PLEASE NOTE I HAVE CHANGED THE START POINT - it'll be the Three Guineas.

Itinerary here:

Easier for everyone and quicker (as I now know) for the Caversham bus.

Massive apologies for the short notice. :o

an_ecumenical_matter
11-07-2013, 17:51
To throw this in now, it might be a good idea on Saturday to try and firm up the next couple of meet-up venues to avoid long, drawn out sagas (like this one was!).

I believe that we'll be equal on the North/South splits after Saturday, as all the other venues have been fairly central.

Some suggestions thrown around at various points were Leeds (North), Bath (South), Shrewsbury (centralish...)

For the south I would emphatically say NO to Bristol (beer quality and bad landlord/staff attitude) and Bath (10 pints of Butcombe/Otter/6X/Bellringer____ insert "AN OTHER" boring brown beer). For the centralish it has to be Worcester- great quality/friendly pubs who want your money/ diversity with the old, new etc.

Oggwyn Trench
11-07-2013, 20:32
Looks like it may be a tad on the warm side on Saturday , may have to scare the good people of Reading with my gloss white legs :eek::D

sheffield hatter
11-07-2013, 22:03

Is this fair? A number of people will not be attending on Saturday for one reason or another. One of them being: it's in the south!

I quite enjoyed the "long drawn out saga", anyway.

Mobyduck
12-07-2013, 06:44

Norwich ?

Quinno
12-07-2013, 10:08
Is this fair? A number of people will not be attending on Saturday for one reason or another. One of them being: it's in the south!

All the best for rigging it!

Seriously though, I was thinking more along the lines of at least agreeing the general geography of the next one or two, and *maybe* then throwing a couple a couple of suggestions in for each one.

At least it'll make things a bit simpler than the READING! LEEDS! BATH! shenanigans of trying to agree this one...

trainman
12-07-2013, 12:33
I aim for noon with a couple of non-PGers, if that's allowed, I know, I know..., but probably have one in Allied rather than an hour in Guineas.
Cricket-wise (if it lasts til tmw!) where might we pick up a bit of (Sky) background on the circuit?

Dave M
12-07-2013, 12:56
Still not quite sure when I'll arrive but I'll try to join in with the spoons breakfast brigade.

Looks like it may be a tad on the warm side on Saturday , may have to scare the good people of Reading with my gloss white legs :eek::D
I shall be showing off my white legs too. At least the trains shouldn't be suffering from snow this time - although at what point do the tracks start getting too hot I wonder.... :eek:

Cricket-wise (if it lasts til tmw!) where might we pick up a bit of (Sky) background on the circuit?
Yeah I'd been wondering the same earlier in the week. Somehow I'm struggling to see it go beyond lunch tomorrow so I'm banking on the Guineas where it seems likely they'll have it.

Quinno
12-07-2013, 13:18
I aim for noon with a couple of non-PGers, if that's allowed, I know, I know..., but probably have one in Allied rather than an hour in Guineas.

It's an hour in the Guineas due to the staggered arrival times and because the Caversham bus stop is 2 mins away. We all need to be in the same place to get the bus but of course the early arrivals can go off and explore if they wish!

Cricket - likely to be on at all of the first three pubs.

an_ecumenical_matter
12-07-2013, 19:53
At least the trains shouldn't be suffering from snow this time - although at what point do the tracks start getting too hot I wonder.... :eek:

Been a shambles today, lineside fire burned all the signal wires at Swindon...............

Dave M
12-07-2013, 20:03
Been a shambles today, lineside fire burned all the signal wires at Swindon...............
Oh goodness, I see what you mean. I take it there are still likely to be delays through Swindon tomorrow?

an_ecumenical_matter
13-07-2013, 06:23
Oh goodness, I see what you mean. I take it there are still likely to be delays through Swindon tomorrow?
Swindon to Gloucester still broke but main line working ok now. However the day is still young.....

Oggwyn Trench
13-07-2013, 06:42
Going to be pushing 30C today :eek: , weather warning out for a possible heatwave , offical goverment advice is to drink lots of cool drinks , i am sure we will all manage this :D:nishelypished:

an_ecumenical_matter
13-07-2013, 06:45
Swindon to Gloucester still broke but main line working ok now. However the day is still young.....

an_ecumenical_matter
13-07-2013, 06:59
PLEASE NOTE REVISED MEET POINT!!!

Current route below (subject to change and timings are approximate!):

'Officially' (I will of course be available to meet the early birds who wish to Spoon-it-up with beer and breakfast at 10:30am!) meet at:

1. The Three Guineas (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1776/) - I will arrive midday, all to depart earlier than 1pm if possible
*Number 23 bus to Caversham
2. Fox and Hounds (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61613/) – arrive 1.15pm
Catch 22/24 back to town
3. The Nags Head (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1691/)– arrive 2.30pm. Pies available here for the hungry, take just under 10 mins to come out so order early. Largest ale selection so longest drinking time!
*Then catch 17 to East Reading
4a/b. The Retreat (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1728/)/The Lyndhurst (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1682/) – we’ll arrive here 3.45pm. As the two pubs are less than a minute apart and both quite small, in order to avoid bar cloggage and maximise drinking time, I suggest the group splits 50/50 and swaps between the two
*13 minute walk to
5. Hop Leaf (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1664/) – arrive 4.40pm
*8 minute downhill walk to
6. Zerodegrees (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55743/) – arrive 5.15pm. Depending on time, we may decide to split the group so the early departures get a fair crack at the Alehouse.
*Short walk to
7. The Alehouse (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1661/) (nee Hobgoblin) - arrive 6.00

That completes the circuit, based on SheffieldHatter being the earliest departure at 18.40

Given that there’s quite a large overlap in departure times, I think it’d be better to end at the Alehouse rather than start there, as Reading BR is only a few minutes walk. It also gives others a chance to try other pubs in RG1 from a central base if they wish.

For those going late, there’s the possibility of getting a pint and pie at Sweeney and Todd (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61601/) (just over the way from Zerodegrees) or heading back to the Nags (as Strongers will be doing his one-man tour of the Wild West (Reading)). From the Nags it’s around 10 mins to the station so long as you don’t get lost!

I’ve dropped some previous wildcards as my research has shown that there is not the quality to justify the time if we are to make it round sensibly (my crawling pace may be somewhat swifter than others!). The Jolly Anglers and Abbot Cook are too off-piste and not (IMO) good enough to divert out for. The Eldon will likely be closed as Trainman pointed out, which is a shame.
See you all in the Nags !!! Overslept this morning so didn't bring me drinking clobber.......

Mobyduck
13-07-2013, 07:25
Just heard some advice from a doctor on TV this morning on how to deal with the high temperatures expected today, "stay in the shade where possible and drink plenty".
Well that's sorted then. :drinkup: :D

Quinno
13-07-2013, 11:26
Filling up at the Monks....

RogerB
15-07-2013, 15:52
Did anyone make a note of the Fox & Hounds beers - I didn't note what I had in there - it had "Tim" in the name if that helps!

Dave M
15-07-2013, 15:58
Did anyone make a note of the Fox & Hounds beers - I didn't note what I had in there - it had "Tim" in the name if that helps!

That would have been Tiger Tim, the Mighty Oak July special (http://www.mightyoakbrewing.co.uk/mightyoakmonthlyspecials.htm)

RogerB
15-07-2013, 16:03
That's the one. Thanks Dave.