PDA

View Full Version : Guess who I met today?

hopwas
24-02-2010, 17:40
Ex West Brom, Coventry and Oldham footballer Lee Hughes was in my local today. He even gave £100 tip to pub staff! Of course he is now Notts County player. Some of you may know he was jailed for hit and run few years ago.

Obviously he stuck with soft drinks and his girlfriend/wife drove him home.

Tilly-Miss
24-02-2010, 18:43
Notts County obviously paying him to much money,i have never heard of him.

Oggwyn Trench
24-02-2010, 18:44
I see ex Villa and Ipswich striker Dalian Atkinson regulary in my local barber

Maldenman
24-02-2010, 21:24
Ex West Brom, Coventry and Oldham footballer Lee Hughes was in my local today. He even gave £100 tip to pub staff! Of course he is now Notts County player. Some of you may know he was jailed for hit and run few years ago.

Obviously he stuck with soft drinks and his girlfriend/wife drove him home.

A bit more tha "Hit And Run" Hoppy, he killed someone while pi$$ed I recall. No time for him at all, as a decent footballer he was able to come out and rebuild his lucrative career. Great for him but what about what he did. Most people who digress in the same way are effectively finished.

Soup Dragon
24-02-2010, 22:20
A bit more tha "Hit And Run" Hoppy, he killed someone while pi$$ed I recall. No time for him at all, as a decent footballer he was able to come out and rebuild his lucrative career. Great for him but what about what he did. Most people who digress in the same way are effectively finished.

yes, i worked in a prison he was in - played against him, he only scored about 5 times!

Strongers
24-02-2010, 22:36

You forgot to mention that he fled the scene leaving the other person for dead - A selfish piece of shit!

Soup Dragon
24-02-2010, 22:41
I dont suppose you watch The Big Match revisited last night Strongers on some channel or other - it was Brentford 3 Watford 3, feb 1979, div 3 - class game

Pubsignman
24-02-2010, 23:41
Hughes is absolute scum - ran away from the scene after killing someone in a drink driving incident. Now a mercanary footballer helping to bleed our oldest professional football club dry. I would have told him where he can stick his £100 tip.

RogerB
24-02-2010, 23:52
I also have an interesting little story from tonight although not quite a household name.

I was in the 'Spoons at Chingford tonight before the Spurs v Bolton game and was reading one of the local historical snippets that 'Spoons are fond of sticking on the walls. This one concerned a local boxer called Derek Lloyd who was known as the Punching Postman back in the 50's when he became British flyweight champion. As I was reading it, a half cut old codger came up to me and introduced himself as the very man I was reading about. He pulled out a tatty envelope containing some very creased old photos and newspaper cuttings and proudly showed them to me. He fought at Wembley a couple of times and retired in '61 after he lost a fight for the European title. It was quite sad really given that today he would probably have a yacht and a villa and here he was having his daily tipple in a Wetherspoons but I think it made his day that I showed some interest in his little wall display. He apparently continued to work for the post office until he retired in the mid 90's and still helps out at the local boys boxing club and does regular road runs despite being 74. Quite a character.

Tilly-Miss
25-02-2010, 02:21
Hughes is absolute scum - ran away from the scene after killing someone in a drink driving incident. Now a mercanary footballer helping to bleed our oldest professional football club dry. I would have told him where he can stick his £100 tip.

My thoughts exactly couldnt have put it better.

Tilly-Miss
25-02-2010, 02:29
That is nice to hear,74 and going strong probably the beer keeps him going, on a different note i used to have kevin and chris finnigan as drinking buddies,my god did we used to have some? great stories of kevin who was like a lodger in my place he would always turn up and of we go for a few days...oh happy times.

hopwas
25-02-2010, 18:43
I see ex Villa and Ipswich striker Dalian Atkinson regulary in my local barber

His former team mate in Villa days, Ian Taylor share our same dentist in Tamworth. Funny thing is that Ian Taylor is also my name!

Dave Gilbert who played in 2007 World Snooker Championship (he lost to Stephen Hendry in1st round) regularly drinks in one of my locals.

runningdog
25-02-2010, 20:56
This one concerned a local boxer called Derek Lloyd who was known as the Punching Postman back in the 50's when he became British flyweight champion. Quite a character.

Yeah, I remember the Punching Postman, never met him or saw him fight, but I know who I'd prefer to spend some time with...:drinkup:..Here's to the old boys who did it for love and for peanuts...:drinkup::drinkup:

Oggwyn Trench
25-02-2010, 21:28
For older readers the great former Wolves and England winger Johnny Hancocks lived a couple of doors down from my Nan and Grandad , he had the tiniest feet i have seen on a man .
Used to see Richie Woodhall around a lot , when he wasnt in training he would work for his dads gardening firm

RogerB
26-05-2010, 10:43
Went to see Glenn Tilbrook do a small pub gig at the Anchor & Hope in Charlton last night and Sophie Ellis Bextor was propping up the bar. She didn't recognise me.

trainman
26-05-2010, 11:05
Sophie Ellis Bextor was propping up the bar. She didn't recognise me.
Well I wouldn't recognise her, Roger. That fame lark is obviously relative.
Has the A&H got any cask ale yet?

RogerB
26-05-2010, 11:27
Has the A&H got any cask ale yet?

Sadly, not a drop.

Conrad
26-05-2010, 11:47
When I got the email to tell me this thread had been updated I was wondering if Ale & Hearty was opening a pub.

aleandhearty
26-05-2010, 18:03
When I got the email to tell me this thread had been updated I was wondering if Ale & Hearty was opening a pub.

:D I've certainly thought about it more than once, as well as going down the microbrewery route. With hindsight, I wish I'd used my inheritance for something a little braver than going back into higher education.

ROBCamra
27-12-2010, 12:28
Called in The Baum last night and Lisa Stansfield was in.

She now lives in Ireland so she's an infrequent visitor.

She hasn't changed though, still loud and sweary. Proper Rachda lass. :D

She was in again last night (Tuesday), not that infrequent then :p

Spinko
27-12-2010, 12:48
James Nesbitt was in the Adelphi a couple of weeks back. Erm, that's about it.:D

arwkrite
29-12-2010, 13:24
Sorry to say it but the present crop of footballers and celebrities could walk in the pub and beat the crap out of me. They would be perfectly safe as I would not have a clue who they were. Not much of a mixer with the high and mighty is Arwkrite. The ones I would recognize are more than likely now dead and not upto visiting pubs.

Farway
29-12-2010, 14:24
Sorry to say it but the present crop of footballers and celebrities could walk in the pub and beat the crap out of me. They would be perfectly safe as I would not have a clue who they were. Not much of a mixer with the high and mighty is Arwkrite. The ones I would recognize are more than likely now dead and not upto visiting pubs.

Wot 'e said

Delboy20
20-03-2011, 19:08
Took a while to find this thread but I thought I would add to it.

I was having a pre match beer in the Old Contemptibles in Brum yesterday when I found myself standing next to Alan Davies ( aka Jonothan Creek ). We had a chat and he seemed a decent bloke. He was on his way to West Brom to watch the Arsenal and had called in for a Guinness.

He proved he is a comedian by predicting a 7-0 Arsenal win !!:D:D

Strongers
20-03-2011, 23:48
I popped into the Duke of Hamilton last Sunday and Gail Porter was working behind the bar. Apparently she had also done a few other shifts - a couple more and she might have figured out how to pull a decent pint.

Rex_Rattus
21-03-2011, 09:27
I popped into the Duke of Hamilton last Sunday and Gail Porter was working behind the bar. Apparently she had also done a few other shifts - a couple more and she might have figured out how to pull a decent pint.

Thanks for that - I plan to be in the Duke later today and will look out for her. But my companions are not the types who will let her get away with short measure!

RogerB
21-03-2011, 09:32
Many years ago when I lived in the area, I went to Ye Olde Swan in Thames Ditton where I was served by the very lovely Jenny "Magpie" Hanley - she owned the pub.

Strongers
21-03-2011, 22:07
Thanks for that - I plan to be in the Duke later today and will look out for her. But my companions are not the types who will let her get away with short measure!

Did any of you have a scotch egg or sausage roll? I've heard they're good, but I'm a bit tight though and wouldn't fork out the £2.50!

Rex_Rattus
23-03-2011, 08:41
Did any of you have a scotch egg or sausage roll? I've heard they're good, but I'm a bit tight though and wouldn't fork out the £2.50!

No, but we eyed them up in the little heater at the back of the bar. They looked good, but we had already indulged in the pork pies at The Southamptom Arms. No sign of Gail though.

Maldenman
23-03-2011, 09:37
The late Malcolm Allison was a regular visitor to The Sale Hotel back in the day. I recall him sitting with a group of lads watching the 1982 World Cup games chatting away. Decent bloke he was.
Around the same time Pat Crerand, ex Man U, ran The Park pub in Altrincham, the pub has gone now though.

ROBCamra
29-06-2011, 15:11
A certain Mr P Scholes had lunch in The Baum yesterday with a mate of his.

Typically of the man, he sat quietly in a corner chatting to his mate and then left a tenner tip.

The bill was only for 2 main meals and two drinks, so less than £25. :notworthy:

Farway
29-06-2011, 15:22
A certain Mr P Scholes had lunch in The Baum yesterday with a mate of his.

Typically of the man, he sat quietly in a corner chatting to his mate and then left a tenner tip.

The bill was only for 2 main meals and two drinks, so less than £25. :notworthy:

I admit that I had to Google it to find out who he was :o

ROBCamra
29-06-2011, 15:34
I admit that I had to Google it to find out who he was :o

The thing with Scholesey is that he'd be quite pleased about that. :evilgrin:

Quinno
29-06-2011, 16:00
I think the only vaguely famous person to share a pub with my good self is Craig Charles (he of Red Dwarf and Robot Wars...and other stuff) who came to The Mill Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43751/), Aberystwyth for a late-night lock-in after his show at the Arts Centre.

I obviously don't drink in the right places (or recognise the right faces)

trainman
30-06-2011, 07:02
A certain Mr P Scholes had lunch in The Baum yesterday

Do you reckon he's gonna wind down his career at the 'Dale then? Maybe his tackles wouldn't arrive quite so late in that division?

Just kiddin, actually one of my less hated u*&^!d' players, and brought home the bacon when we beat Scotland at Hampden - I had England 2-0 & Scholes first or last scorer, he got them both making both halves of the bet winners at 60/1 (tenner on each).

Spinko
03-07-2011, 20:15
Hardknott Dave was in Port St Beer House today. Being the usual recluse I had my nice half of Hardknott Queboid and buggered off.

ROBCamra
26-02-2014, 11:40
Danny John Jules was in The Baum on Saturday.

He didn't need to act to be The Cat in Red Dwarf he's as mad as a hatter in real life! :D

aleandhearty
27-02-2014, 11:50
Danny John Jules was in The Baum on Saturday.

He didn't need to act to be The Cat in Red Dwarf he's as mad as a hatter in real life! :D

Pity it wasn't his gorgeous co-star Sara Martins. I'd have been over the Pennines faster than a a rat up a drainpipe. :)

ROBCamra
27-02-2014, 11:56
Pity it wasn't his gorgeous co-star Sara Martins. I'd have been over the Pennines faster than a a rat up a drainpipe. :)

Mmmmmmm! Camille. :love:

Bucking Fastard
12-05-2014, 14:20
Non football supporters stop reading here.

There I was yesterday in The White Horse,Parsons Green (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23234/) post match (Fulham v Palace)minding my own business looking for a quiet beer and a sit down after having stood throughout the match. The downstairs bar didn't have a seat free so decided to investigate the small lounge on the first floor.There were a handful of fellow Palace fans up here too so plonked down at a spare table.Within a few minutes three of the Palace Directors and their families had pitched up,then celebrity fan Kevin Day.It seemed like a private party but having explained we were season ticket holders ,our presence was tolerated.Even Tony Pulis showed up ,and having had a brief chat with the great man I sloped off home happy.

Aqualung
12-05-2014, 19:58
I used to play darts in the Angel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22070/) long before Sam Smiths took it over. I was in there most lunchtimes and after work. As it was so near all the theatres it would attract all sorts of famous faces.
One lunchtime I got there a bit early (just before midday) and Lord George Brown (the famous Labour politician and drunkard) was in the other bar and as I was throwing a few darts and waiting for some opposition to arrive he was knocking back doubles and as any politician would talking a complete load of crap which was becoming more and more slurred.

Jenny Agutter was in there once when I arrived, sadly she didn't have all her kit off like in that boring film based in Australia.

The late Pete Postlethwaite would regularly appear on a Friday night for a game of darts and several pints of Directors. He wasn't that famous then but we knew he was an actor as he was mates with Eamon Boland who was a regular and a reserve for our dart team.

The four McGann brothers from Liverpool were appearing with the group Darts in a musical at the Astoria and they were regulars in there. Mark, the one associated with John Lennon stuff was keen to play darts but was pretty useless.

Su Pollard from Hi-De-Hi was in one night and had the bar staff and the remaining stragglers in stitches. I just hope it was all an act and not her real persona as otherwise you would have to classify her as a fruitcake based on that encounter.

The late Malcolm McClaren was in there one night and seemed to be something of a "gob on a stick".

One lunchtime after I had returned to work Tommy Cooper came in for a game of darts. I always regretted missing that!

london calling
13-05-2014, 23:39
I used to play darts in the Angel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22070/) long before Sam Smiths took it over. I was in there most lunchtimes and after work. As it was so near all the theatres it would attract all sorts of famous faces.
One lunchtime I got there a bit early (just before midday) and Lord George Brown (the famous Labour politician and drunkard) was in the other bar and as I was throwing a few darts and waiting for some opposition to arrive he was knocking back doubles and as any politician would talking a complete load of crap which was becoming more and more slurred.

Jenny Agutter was in there once when I arrived, sadly she didn't have all her kit off like in that boring film based in Australia.

The late Pete Postlethwaite would regularly appear on a Friday night for a game of darts and several pints of Directors. He wasn't that famous then but we knew he was an actor as he was mates with Eamon Boland who was a regular and a reserve for our dart team.

The four McGann brothers from Liverpool were appearing with the group Darts in a musical at the Astoria and they were regulars in there. Mark, the one associated with John Lennon stuff was keen to play darts but was pretty useless.

Su Pollard from Hi-De-Hi was in one night and had the bar staff and the remaining stragglers in stitches. I just hope it was all an act and not her real persona as otherwise you would have to classify her as a fruitcake based on that encounter.

The late Malcolm McClaren was in there one night and seemed to be something of a "gob on a stick".

One lunchtime after I had returned to work Tommy Cooper came in for a game of darts. I always regretted missing that!
Tommy Cooper live near me and used to drink around Strand on the Green/Kew Bridge.He was a notorious tight-arse in pubs but a funny man in person.

Aqualung
14-05-2014, 00:01
Tommy Cooper live near me and used to drink around Strand on the Green/Kew Bridge.He was a notorious tight-arse in pubs but a funny man in person.

I've been accused of that myself and I'm not aware of being very funny!

london calling
24-09-2015, 20:45
Spoke to Huey Morgan (lead singer and guitarist) from Fun Loving Criminals outside The Lady Ottoline Bloomsbury on Monday.Real friendly guy and yes I recognised him rather than he recognised me.Awesome.

london calling
24-09-2015, 20:59
Heres a funny one.I got in the lift at an old folks home and in got an attractive young women.I said I seem to recognise you.Did you used to work behind the bar at the Express pub Kew Bridge.She said no I am an actress and burst out laughing.It was Amanda Redmonde a quite famous actress at the time.Oops.

Aqualung
24-09-2015, 21:25
Spoke to Huey Morgan (lead singer and guitarist) from Fun Loving Criminals outside The Lady Ottoline Bloomsbury on Monday.Real friendly guy and yes I recognised him rather than he recognised me.Awesome.
I'm not an FLC fan but have seen him on the Wright Stuff a few times and he always came over well even though I couldn't always agree with what he said. He's certainly not a typical Yank.

aleandhearty
24-09-2015, 23:42

Oooh! Quite jealous there, LC. I've got several FLC albums and was lucky enough to see them live a few years ago. However, the Victoria Theatre, Halifax doesn't have the same ring as Glasto. Wish I'd been there to see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrf4DK-Sv1E

P.S. Huey is a very underrated guitarist.

aleandhearty
24-09-2015, 23:54
Heres a funny one.I got in the lift at an old folks home and in got an attractive young women.I said I seem to recognise you.Did you used to work behind the bar at the Express pub Kew Bridge.She said no I am an actress and burst out laughing.It was Amanda Redmonde a quite famous actress at the time.Oops.
Do you mean the fragrant Amanda Redman?

Strongers
25-09-2015, 07:52
I've seen her a few times with the other members of New Tricks in the pubs along the river by Hammersmith Bridge.

london calling
25-09-2015, 21:28
Do you mean the fragrant Amanda Redman?

Yep,thats her.

london calling
25-09-2015, 21:30
I've seen her a few times with the other members of New Tricks in the pubs along the river by Hammersmith Bridge.

Handy for visiting her mum in Acton although this was a few years ago.

ROBCamra
08-01-2017, 16:03
Not today, but between Xmas and New Year in Hull.

Dave Rotheray from the Beautiful South serving me beer and having a friendly chat behind his bar on Newland Avenue.

The People's Republic (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84012/)

Quinno
08-01-2017, 19:12

Dave Rotheray from the Beautiful South serving me beer and having a friendly chat behind his bar in Hull.

Did you need a little time to think it over? :evilgrin:

ROBCamra
08-01-2017, 19:45
Did you need a little time to think it over? :evilgrin:

No, I wasn't going to name drop I was going to keep it all in, but found this thread eventually.:p

trainman
09-01-2017, 12:35
I was going to keep it all in,
Very good!

Aqualung
09-01-2017, 13:05
No, I wasn't going to name drop I was going to keep it all in, but found this thread eventually.:p

How would you rate the encounter? A Perfect 10? I always thought that Beautiful South were just that geezer from the Housemartins and the Scouse bird. They're from Oop North so how would I know any better?

Pubsignman
09-01-2017, 13:40

Dave Rotheray from the Beautiful South serving me beer and having a friendly chat behind his bar on Newland Avenue.

I'm going to Hull for the first time this weekend. I'm overnighting, so will probably look to tick off around 15 pubs. Would you say the Newland Avenue area is worth a visit for a first-timer or would I be better off just sticking to the City Centre?

ROBCamra
09-01-2017, 13:52
I'm going to Hull for the first time this weekend. I'm overnighting, so will probably look to tick off around 15 pubs. Would you say the Newland Avenue area is worth a visit for a first-timer or would I be better off just sticking to the City Centre?

Stick to the city centre for starters, you'll collect 10 pubs in and around the Old Town alone, especially if you're staying at the Premier Inn.

Newland is mainly small cafe bars with a real pub at either end (roughly).

Pubsignman
09-01-2017, 15:46
Stick to the city centre for starters, you'll collect 10 pubs in and around the Old Town alone, especially if you're staying at the Premier Inn.

Newland is mainly small cafe bars with a real pub at either end (roughly).

Thanks ROB

In that case, I might just follow the route of the PuG crawl, albeit a year too late!

ROBCamra
09-01-2017, 16:21
Thanks ROB

In that case, I might just follow the route of the PuG crawl, albeit a year too late!

Good plan, but add Head Of Steam (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60303/) as it wasn't open then and is worth a visit.

I might even get around to reviewing it in the next day or so. :o

oldboots
10-01-2017, 09:18
Don't forget The Whalebone (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52688/) and don't be put off by the walk through a run down area. Hull & E Yorks Pub of the Year yet again.

Bucking Fastard
12-11-2017, 18:56
Well it wasn't today,but there I was minding my own business in The White Horse (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/36919/),Atherstone along with TP and another mate while boating,when who should appears at the bar,none other than rpadam adding to his already impressive review total.

It was good to see you sir.:cheers:

rpadam
12-11-2017, 19:33
Well it wasn't today,but there I was minding my own business in The White Horse (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/36919/),Atherstone along with TP and another mate while boating,when who should appears at the bar,none other than rpadam adding to his already impressive review total.

It was good to see you sir.:cheers:
And likewise the three of you, with the conversation adjourning to the Angel Ale House (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/36886/) on a serendipitous evening!

ROBCamra
15-02-2018, 19:25
We arrived in the tiny Hard Times & Misery (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84483/) in Liverpool on Sunday.

There were only 4 people in when we arrived.

I was talking to the barman about beer and the style of beers I order for The Baum when one of the
other punters introduced himself as Al Bundy.

What are the chances that we were in the same place at the same time in a city as big as Liverpool?

Good to meet you Al. :cheers:

Mobyduck
25-02-2018, 10:13
A nice day in Oxford yesterday in the company of Tim Hampson (https://www.beerguild.co.uk/guild-member/tim-hampson/) amongst others, very knowledgeable and a thoroughly nice chap.

oldboots
25-02-2018, 10:50
A nice day in Oxford yesterday in the company of Tim Hampson (https://www.beerguild.co.uk/guild-member/tim-hampson/) amongst others, very knowledgeable and a thoroughly nice chap.

here's a photo (taken by NHSMartin) from Pub Curmudgeon's twitter 1564, a couple of dodgy looking characters there....:evilgrin:

Mobyduck
25-02-2018, 10:54
here's a photo (taken by NHSMartin) from Pub Curmudgeon's twitter 1564, a couple of dodgy looking characters there....:evilgrin:

More than a couple I'd say.;)

sheffield hatter
29-04-2018, 08:58
Yesterday in the Kelham Island Tavern, Gill halfpint and Ray, just stopping for a quick half and a cob on their way between the beer festival at Shakespeares and the Fat Cat. Gill named a long list of beers they'd had at the festival, after which I was surprised that they were able to stand up!

Aqualung
23-05-2018, 10:19
No name dropping here as I didn't catch a name. I was sitting at the rear of the Berkhamsted Crown (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56831/) yesterday and a blackbird flew straight over my head, out the rear door, through the garden ending up in some low trees or bushes behind the garden. It's a long narrow pub so I can only assume it flew in the front entrance and all the way through the pub. I've seen pigeons travelling on the Circle line and one in a beer festival but never anything like that.

aleandhearty
23-05-2018, 16:09
...I was sitting at the rear of the Berkhamsted Crown (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56831/) yesterday and a blackbird flew straight over my head, out the rear door, through the garden ending up in some low trees or bushes behind the garden. It's a long narrow pub so I can only assume it flew in the front entrance and all the way through the pub...

Perhaps it had heard the beer was going cheep.

I'll get me coat.

Aqualung
23-05-2018, 17:07
Perhaps it had heard the beer was going cheep.

I'll get me coat.

I knew there must be a joke somewhere!
The immediate banter was directed at a young barman along the lines of "Was that your bird I just saw rushing out the pub?".

Tris39
23-05-2018, 17:48
No name dropping here as I didn't catch a name. I was sitting at the rear of the Berkhamsted Crown (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56831/) yesterday and a blackbird flew straight over my head, out the rear door, through the garden ending up in some low trees or bushes behind the garden. It's a long narrow pub so I can only assume it flew in the front entrance and all the way through the pub. I've seen pigeons travelling on the Circle line and one in a beer festival but never anything like that.

I can easily believe it. In 1968, a disgruntled RAF pilot flew his Hawker Hunter through Tower Bridge. :whistle:

I've also seen pigeons walking the platform at Hampstead tube and it's the deepest on the London network. They get on the trains a stop earlier at Golders Green which is an open air station - boy are they in for a shock when a few minutes later they are more than 190 feet below ground!

london calling
25-05-2018, 21:36
I met a famous musician in my local last week but cant remember his name.All the young ones were getting selfies with him.I will have a think and post when I remember who he was.

london calling
25-05-2018, 21:43
I met a famous musician in my local last week but cant remember his name.All the young ones were getting selfies with him.I will have a think and post when I remember who he was.

Just Googled top 60,s bands.Spencer Davis it was .Anyone remember him?

sheffield hatter
25-05-2018, 22:27

You bet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kamXvqoL_JA

Steve Winwood on vocals, of course.

Aqualung
25-05-2018, 22:59

Of course I remember them! The "leader" Spencer Davis was probably the oldest one and I think was a Taff. Steve Winwood was around 15 in their early days but the band had his big brother Muff Winwood. Steve went on to join Traffic and briefly Blind Faith with Eric Clapton & Ginger Baker. I was at their Hyde Park concert but it was so packed I decided against going to the Stones one shortly after. Steve Winwood also had solo success in the 1980s.

Mobyduck
05-11-2018, 22:06
Just back from a great day out (cautious day given my current medical status) around St Albans with a number of serial bloggers led by Mr Protz (http://protzonbeer.co.uk/news), a fine chap and excellent host.

Aqualung
05-11-2018, 22:28
Just back from a great day out (cautious day given my current medical status) around St Albans with a number of serial bloggers led by Mr Protz (http://protzonbeer.co.uk/news), a fine chap and excellent host.

Did you know that in pre CAMRA days he was a very left wing journalist? I've no idea what his politics are nowadays and to be honest don't really care. He's done a great job for CAMRA over the years but I'm not sure about his unquestioning support for the major regional brewers, apart from Batham's and Holden's of course!

Pubsignman
06-11-2018, 00:51
I popped into the Camden Town Brewery Bar (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83421/) on Wednesday and found myself sat across the room from Jonny Buckland - the guitarist from Coldplay. The prospect of him striking up a tune was far more frightening than anything else I encountered on that Halloween evening.

Mobyduck
06-11-2018, 07:30
Did you know that in pre CAMRA days he was a very left wing journalist? I've no idea what his politics are nowadays and to be honest don't really care. He's done a great job for CAMRA over the years but I'm not sure about his unquestioning support for the major regional brewers, apart from Batham's and Holden's of course!

Not sure about any current politics, but he is a vegetarian. :D

Mobyduck
06-11-2018, 07:32
The prospect of him striking up a tune
Scary :eek:

Wittenden
06-11-2018, 08:59
Wondered if you were hanging out with the great man.Someone Tweeted a picture of his hat:very snappy!

Mobyduck
06-11-2018, 13:52
Wondered if you were hanging out with the great man.Someone Tweeted a picture of his hat:very snappy!

He had a matching very long scarf, and long black coat, looked like Dr Who (not the current one).

Mobyduck
06-11-2018, 13:59
Someone Tweeted a picture of his hat:very snappy!
That was Duncan Mackay (https://pubmeister.wordpress.com/), he's done every GBG pub ever apart from a few newby's from the current one which he is now dealing with, logged in excess of 17000 pub's, flew down from Scotland especially for yesterdays meet up. A nice bloke.

Quinno
06-11-2018, 21:20
I popped into the Camden Town Brewery Bar (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83421/) on Wednesday and found myself sat across the room from Jonny Buckland - the guitarist from Coldplay. The prospect of him striking up a tune was far more frightening than anything else I encountered on that Halloween evening.

:lol::notworthy:

Bucking Fastard
14-11-2018, 17:49
There I was today,passing through Hemel Hempstead ,which is normally a good idea,when I decided to investigate a new micro (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/87135/) that Quinno had recently posted on the site and who should I bump into in there .....none other than Millay.I had just popped in for a quick one,and I was impressed that he recognised me after several years.He is now back in the PuG fold and hopefully can join future PuG pub crawls.

Good to see you,Clive.:cheers:

Mobyduck
14-11-2018, 18:58
There I was today,passing through Hemel Hempstead ,which is normally a good idea,when I decided to investigate a new micro (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/87135/) that Quinno had recently posted on the site and who should I bump into in there .....none other than Millay.I had just popped in for a quick one,and I was impressed that he recognised me after several years.He is now back in the PuG fold and hopefully can join future PuG pub crawls.

Blast from the past.

Real Ale Ray
14-11-2018, 19:00

Brilliant! Me every time I hear their music = :moremad:

Millay
16-11-2018, 12:13

It was good to see you as well Neville, I think we both did well in recognising each other even though we've probably only met 2-3 times some years ago. If you are planning another visit to Monk's Inn let me know and I'll try to join you. Probably a little too adventurous to start suggesting Hemel Hempstead for a PuG crawl :D

Bucking Fastard
16-11-2018, 14:53
Probably a little too adventurous to start suggesting Hemel Hempstead for a PuG crawl :D

It might get more votes than Lewes ;)

Quinno
18-08-2019, 13:55
Rory Kinnear in the Union Tavern, London a few weeks back. No pigs or Dominc Cummings in situ at the time.

oldboots
18-08-2019, 16:21

More proof that males over 13 years old should not wear shorts.

Tris39
18-08-2019, 19:41

...not least because they always make men look like Don Estelle in It Ain't Half Hot Mum, at centre. (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081878/mediaviewer/rm1062160384?ft0=name&fv0=nm0261584&ft1=image_type&fv1=still_frame)

Aqualung
18-08-2019, 22:47

I've got a term for them "Shorts Wearing Shits". Why do people wear shorts and a tee shirt on freezing midwinter days? I've seen this twice now locally and in Leigh Gtr Manchester. Neither were sporty types so what's it all about?

rpadam
18-08-2019, 23:17
Why do people wear shorts and a tee shirt on freezing midwinter days?
I think they are called postmen / postwomen - no weather, however adverse, seems to deter their wearing of shorts and short-sleeved shirts...

Aqualung
19-08-2019, 15:22
I think they are called postmen / postwomen - no weather, however adverse, seems to deter their wearing of shorts and short-sleeved shirts...I know what you mean here but the two examples I had in mind were young fat blokes definitely not postmen. This summer has seen an explosion of blokes wearing shorts.

Tris39
19-08-2019, 19:08
No pigs or Dominc Cummings in situ at the time.

Slightly confused by the Cummings/pig cultural references. Any chance of a hint?

oldboots
19-08-2019, 20:13
Slightly confused by the Cummings/pig cultural references. Any chance of a hint?

An out of touch and usually confused old man writes; Rory Kinnear played Dominic Cummings' arch rival in the drama doc about the Brexit campaign (Cumberbatch played Cummings), not sure about the pigs, these days that's usually a Cameron reference. Mr Kinnear was last seen in "Years & Years" and very good he was too after a couple of series as Count Arthur Strong's sidekick but still no pigs. :confused:

Aqualung
19-08-2019, 21:22
An out of touch and usually confused old man writes

Blimey! What does that make me????

Mobyduck
19-08-2019, 23:38
Blimey! What does that make me????

Very ? :D

Komakino
19-08-2019, 23:48

The latter is from a Black Mirror episode called The National Anthem (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_National_Anthem_(Black_Mirror)).

Quinno
26-08-2019, 19:05
The latter is from a Black Mirror episode called The National Anthem (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_National_Anthem_(Black_Mirror)).

Cummings - https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-04-01/brexit-the-uncivil-war-cast/ (actually it was Craig Oliver, but who knows who he is?)

oldboots
26-08-2019, 20:22
Cummings - https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-04-01/brexit-the-uncivil-war-cast/ (actually it was Craig Oliver, but who knows who he is?)

welcome back Sir Quinno, I think the pig reference was the more confusing one, but of course Rory Kinnear is more famous than Craig Oliver (aka Dominic Cummings' deadly rival).

For anyone "out the loop" Mr Cummings is back in the heart of Government. :eek:

london calling
22-09-2019, 21:11
Whilst sitting in the beer garden at the Runnymede Hotel the guy sending clouds of cigar smoke our way was Miguel Angel Jiminez.One of my favourite all time golfers.

Tris39
23-09-2019, 19:46
Whilst sitting in the beer garden at the Runnymede Hotel the guy sending clouds of cigar smoke our way was Miguel Angel Jiminez.One of my favourite all time golfers.

I get a certain sense of déjà vu (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81VUHm6JEj4) here.

Real Ale Ray
29-10-2019, 20:19

Great to meet Komakino in the Cross Keys, Covent Garden this evening. A chance conversation at the bar where Pubs Galore was mentioned and that was it!

Komakino
29-10-2019, 22:14

Great to meet Komakino in the Cross Keys, Covent Garden this evening. A chance conversation at the bar where Pubs Galore was mentioned and that was it!

Great to meet you and Mrs Ray too - what were the chances of that, eh? Hope you enjoyed your subsequent visit to The Duke after we parted ways.

Mobyduck
29-10-2019, 22:29

Great to meet you and Mrs Ray too - what were the chances of that, eh? Hope you enjoyed your subsequent visit to The Duke after we parted ways.

:cheers::bemerry:

Quinno
29-10-2019, 22:53

Brilliant! Joy Division unmasked. Sounds like a TV programme.

Aqualung
29-10-2019, 23:57
Brilliant! Joy Division unmasked. Sounds like a TV programme.

I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I had to Google this to discover the JD connection. Just when you thought you had just about all pub quiz music questions nailed........

aleandhearty
30-10-2019, 10:24

Great to meet you and Mrs Ray too - what were the chances of that, eh?

Would love to know how the conversation went, before you had that 'light bulb' moment.

Tris39
31-10-2019, 20:09

Surprised you could find one another given the lighting in there. ;)

Komakino
03-11-2019, 12:00
I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I had to Google this to discover the JD connection. Just when you thought you had just about all pub quiz music questions nailed........

Interestingly (for some), it's my birthday today and the other half got me a pair of Joy Division ovengloves...

Al Bundy
03-11-2019, 13:47
Interestingly (for some), it's my birthday today and the other half got me a pair of Joy Division ovengloves...

And some piccalilli shinpads hopefully.

Tris39
03-11-2019, 19:18

That's so romantic - clearly love won't tear you apart.

I've always hankered after a Joe Dolce thong, but she never got the hint...

Aqualung
03-11-2019, 21:23
Interestingly (for some), it's my birthday today and the other half got me a pair of Joy Division oven gloves...

Wear them today then you won't have a Blue Monday. She obviously has True Faith in you!

Tris39
22-11-2019, 19:47
The Drapers Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23601/) three nights ago - Michael Palin.

oldboots
22-11-2019, 20:42
The Drapers Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23601/) three nights ago - Michael Palin.

Crikey, I thought it was a weird conjunction between Tris39, Michael Palin and Boak&Bailey for a moment, however it's a different The Drapers Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83494/); maybe Cider Drinker and DaveM could be involved if such a thing ever happened.

bcfczuluarmy
22-11-2019, 21:53
Crikey, I thought it was a weird conjunction between Tris39, Michael Palin and Boak&Bailey for a moment, however it's a different The Drapers Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83494/); maybe Cider Drinker and DaveM could be involved if such a thing ever happened.

More likely to see me in there I only live 410m from it.

Tris39
29-11-2019, 14:22
Cheating a bit as I wasn't in a pub, rather standing next to me at the check-out queue at the Oxford Street branch of M & S: Kenneth Cranham (likes his cardies does our Ken).

Real Ale Ray
29-11-2019, 20:47
Cheating a bit as I wasn't in a pub, rather standing next to me at the check-out queue at the Oxford Street branch of M & S: Kenneth Cranham (likes his cardies does our Ken).

I'd say he was fairly flush after the Hatton Garden job :)

Tris39
30-11-2019, 19:17
I'd say he was fairly flush after the Hatton Garden job :)

Yeah, but he'd lost all his lolly in Layer Cake. :ninja:

Tris39
18-12-2019, 18:22
Last night in https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22729/ : David Mitchell.

sheffield hatter
04-02-2020, 15:57
No surprise to meet Gill and Ray at the Camra winter beer festival (or beer festival winter, as it is now called) - in fact I had been looking around expecting to see them for the best part of an hour. Then I was at the bar waiting to be served when a voice beside me said "this gentleman is before me", and it was Gill! Really good to catch up with them both. Gill with her great enthusiasm for whatever she was drinking, or looking forward to what was next. Ray just as sharp and witty as ever. What great way to spend your retirement.

Tris39
09-05-2020, 18:48
Not in a pub of course, but close to The Old Oak (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/68490/), Robert Peston the other night - didn't appear to be observing social distancing either...

Mobyduck
09-05-2020, 19:05
Not in a pub of course, but close to The Old Oak (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/68490/), Robert Peston the other night - didn't appear to be observing social distancing either...

Wikipedia ( :rolleyes:) says he died (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Preston_(actor)) in 1987? :eek: Unless you're talking about a different one, I had to google this one.

ROBCamra
09-05-2020, 19:13
Wikipedia ( :rolleyes:) says he died (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Preston_(actor)) in 1987? :eek: Unless you're talking about a different one, I had to google this one.

Peston not Preston.

Political Correspondent who talks reallllllly slooooowwwwly and puts really long

pauses in his sentences for no apparent reason. He might not be observing social distancing but his words do :evilgrin:

Mobyduck
09-05-2020, 20:15
Peston not Preston.

Political Correspondent who talks reallllllly slooooowwwwly and puts really long

pauses in his sentences for no apparent reason. He might not be observing social distancing but his words do :evilgrin:

Ahhhhhh, never heard of him. :D

Tris39
10-05-2020, 17:41
He might not be observing social distancing but his words do :evilgrin:

:D:D

Tris39
10-05-2020, 17:44
Ahhhhhh, never heard of him. :D

A good example of him here. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGtVw7l8e80)

Mobyduck
10-05-2020, 18:27
A good example of him here. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGtVw7l8e80)

I know his face just crap at names.

Tris39
17-06-2020, 18:17
Ed Milliband out last night for a stroll and sorely in need of a haircut - he looked like a cross between Tim Martin and Barry Gibb!

rpadam
07-07-2020, 19:06
Tim (Wetherspoon) Martin, on his way to The Kings Fee (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56891/) in Hereford.

Tris39
07-07-2020, 19:20
Tim (Wetherspoon) Martin, on his way to The Kings Fee (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56891/) in Hereford.

I hate to think what his hair must be like after three months!

rpadam
07-07-2020, 19:22
I hate to think what his hair must be like after three months!
We had a bit of a chat, but steered well clear of 'B word' (and I didn't mention hair - his or mine)!

Mobyduck
25-07-2020, 12:54
ETA , in The Horse And Groom (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/89005/) micropub, Chobham, what a small pub world.

ETA
25-07-2020, 22:05
ETA , in the Horse And Groom micropub, Chobham, what a small pub world.

I was just about to say the same, Moby. And the pub's only been open a week.

And jolly nice it was to see you.

Mobyduck
26-07-2020, 08:37
And jolly nice it was to see you.
Likewise.

Mobyduck
16-08-2020, 09:44
ETA , in The Horse And Groom (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/89005/) micropub, Chobham, what a small pub world.

Talking of small pub worlds, I got off the train at East Croydon yesterday and straight into Cronx (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84803/), who should be sat there but
Si (BRAPA) Everitt (http://brapa-4500.blogspot.com/) and Colin The Cauliflower. That kind of reshaped my planned day, instead of pub ticking Croydon I accompanied him to Clapham Junction and showed him around a few pubs there, meaning I only ended the day 2 new pubs better off instead of a planned 7 or 8. It was however a great day out.

oldboots
27-08-2020, 21:06
Talking of small pub worlds, I got off the train at East Croydon yesterday and straight into Cronx (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84803/), who should be sat there but
Si (BRAPA) Everitt (http://brapa-4500.blogspot.com/) and Colin The Cauliflower. That kind of reshaped my planned day, instead of pub ticking Croydon I accompanied him to Clapham Junction and showed him around a few pubs there, meaning I only ended the day 2 new pubs better off instead of a planned 7 or 8. It was however a great day out.

BRAPA has now published the details of the historic meeting between Mobyduck and Colin the Cauliflower http://brapa-4500.blogspot.com/2020/08/brapa-is-in-croydon-took-problem-cauli.html. The words "twitter pub legend" are mentioned and there's a nice photo of him too.

Mobyduck
28-08-2020, 06:58
BRAPA has now published the details of the historic meeting between Mobyduck and Colin the Cauliflower http://brapa-4500.blogspot.com/2020/08/brapa-is-in-croydon-took-problem-cauli.html. The words "twitter pub legend" are mentioned and there's a nice photo of him too.

Twitter or Twatter, I'll say it before anyone else! :D
There should be more of me tonight on his next blog as I help (hinder) guide him around Clapham Junction.

london calling
29-08-2020, 20:52
Used to cringe when Brapa used to go around pubs with a toy owl now he has a stuffed toy cauliflower I cant read his blog.Shame too as he sometimes comes out with great puns.Obviously will read his piffle this week to as it includes Moby.

Mobyduck
30-08-2020, 08:50
Used to cringe when Brapa used to go around pubs with a toy owl now he has a stuffed toy cauliflower I cant read his blog.Shame too as he sometimes comes out with great puns.Obviously will read his piffle this week to as it includes Moby.

Colin The Cauliflowers alright. Doesn't say much though.

london calling
30-08-2020, 21:52
Colin The Cauliflowers alright. Doesn't say much though.
Cant talk and gets carried everywhere.Maybe he is a vegetable.

sheffield hatter
30-08-2020, 22:00
Cant talk and gets carried everywhere.Maybe he is a vegetable.

That's a little harsh. Perhaps he doesn't speak unless he's got something important to say - or at least interesting. Unlike us lot.

london calling
30-08-2020, 22:10
That's a little harsh. Perhaps he doesn't speak unless he's got something important to say - or at least interesting. Unlike us lot.
That's an interesting observation.

sheffield hatter
30-08-2020, 22:31
That's an interesting observation.

Are you sure?

Mobyduck
30-08-2020, 23:27

Mobyduck
02-09-2020, 22:07
The next episode. (http://brapa-4500.blogspot.com/2020/09/brapa-says-let-me-brap-em-in-clapham.html)

oldboots
03-09-2020, 09:20
The next episode. (http://brapa-4500.blogspot.com/2020/09/brapa-says-let-me-brap-em-in-clapham.html)

with guest appearance of some old bloke. The prices shown make me glad to live in Yorkshire.

Ironic comment from Russtovich, does he know you?

Mobyduck
03-09-2020, 19:55
with guest appearance of some old bloke. The prices shown make me glad to live in Yorkshire.

Ironic comment from Russtovich, does he know you?

He doesn't, but he remembers this (thepubexplorer.wordpress.com/2018/10/26/should-i-stay-or-should-i-go/).

Pubsignman
03-09-2020, 22:35
I forgot to mention it at the time, but a couple of weeks ago I was in the Bull's Head in Reigate when former Crystal Palace and England footballer John Salako walked in and sat at the table next to me. Apologies to BF, but I was too busy taking notes for my review to ask for an autograph!

Bucking Fastard
04-09-2020, 11:35
I forgot to mention it at the time, but a couple of weeks ago I was in the Bull's Head in Reigate when former Crystal Palace and England footballer John Salako walked in and sat at the table next to me. Apologies to BF, but I was too busy taking notes for my review to ask for an autograph!

Great story however,not too bothered about autographs ! He was a real favourite down at Selhurst and was known to the supporters as Johnnie Salad after the announcer at Coventry City got his name wrong when he came on as a substitute.

Tris39
04-09-2020, 19:16

I saw an identically worded (but with real picture) of the Brucie 'Nice Two Metres, Two Metres...Nice!' skit on the side of a primary school in Primrose Hill, a quote which would probably pass over the heads of most parents, let alone their kids.

If you want to see the real Hoff's autographed photo in a pub rather than a cardboard cut-out, pay a visit to The Centre Page (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54261/) (note the address).

Tris39
05-05-2021, 17:09
Drinking at The Lauriston (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25096/) last night: Josh Widdicombe.

NickDavies
05-05-2021, 18:03
Drinking at The Lauriston (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25096/) last night: Josh Widdicombe.

Was he enjoying "just keg rubbish" ©Custodian 42 or have things moved on?

sheffield hatter
05-05-2021, 18:52
Josh Widdicombe.

Never heard of him.

Quinno
05-05-2021, 19:21
Never heard of him.

The inaugural winner of Taskmaster.

Unrelated to Ann, AFAIK.

Mobyduck
05-05-2021, 19:25
Never heard of him.

You and me both.

Tris39
06-05-2021, 18:17
Never heard of him.

You and me both.

Heard of him but don't find him funny. Not a great pub choice either.

Tris39
28-07-2021, 19:05
London Calling seen in The Express Tavern (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/27424/) yesterday?

Mobyduck
28-07-2021, 19:39
London Calling seen in The Express Tavern (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/27424/) yesterday?

Thats really good, I was becoming a little concerned as he hasn't logged onto the forum since the 12th of June, did you quiz him?

Tris39
29-07-2021, 18:01
Thats really good, I was becoming a little concerned as he hasn't logged onto the forum since the 12th of June, did you quiz him?

He was in the next bar, having ordered two pints, so as he had company, I though it polite not to barge in.

sheffield hatter
30-07-2021, 14:03
He was in the next bar, having ordered two pints, so as he had company, I though it polite not to barge in.

Well, if it was the Express Tavern, then it's sure to have been him!

Tris39
30-07-2021, 18:07
Well, if it was the Express Tavern, then it's sure to have been him!

I can categorically assure you that it was the Express and yes, I was aware that it's his local - lucky him!

Al Bundy
14-08-2021, 14:22
Both Anne 'The Governess' Hegerty and Paul 'The Sinner Man' Sinha from The Chase were in The Ship And Mitre, Liverpool today.

Tris39
14-08-2021, 19:23
Both Anne 'The Governess' Hegerty and Paul 'The Sinner Man' Sinha from The Chase were in The Ship And Mitre, Liverpool today.

Was there a pub quiz by any chance?

Al Bundy
16-08-2021, 15:56
Was there a pub quiz by any chance?

Yes there was. And anyone (famous or otherwise) who can spend 5 hours on a Saturday afternoon upstairs in sweaty room answering 400 questions has my..... contempt/sympathy/ridicule/indifference * (tick as appropriate).

Tris39
16-08-2021, 18:00
Yes there was. And anyone (famous or otherwise) who can spend 5 hours on a Saturday afternoon upstairs in sweaty room answering 400 questions has my..... contempt/sympathy/ridicule/indifference * (tick as appropriate).

I like a good pub quiz but this sounds too much. I suppose it must have been one of those 'national' affairs; I wonder if they won?

ROBCamra
07-09-2021, 19:29
Not a guess who I met, but a look who we've lost.

Tony Allen, ex of Phoenix Brewery in Rochdale has died.

One of the pioneers of the micro brewing phenomenon I met him probably dozens of times over the years, including several times at the brewery on his annual
piss ups for customers, CAMRA members and friends alike.

RIP Tony, brewing wouldn't be as it is these days without you being there at the start.:notworthy:.

Mobyduck
08-09-2021, 17:38
You may not recognise him as he hasn't got his hat on and hopefully won't have to eat it if I don't manage 20 pubs in Sheffield, it'll be easy and I'm on the case 2 down 18 to go.
He'll probably kill me for the picture when we meet tomorrow.

sheffield hatter
08-09-2021, 18:51
You may not recognise him as he hasn't got his hat on and hopefully won't have to eat it if I don't manage 20 pubs in Sheffield, it'll be easy and I'm on the case 2 down 18 to go.
He'll probably kill me for the picture when we meet tomorrow.

You said you were taking a photgraph of the beer! I'll never believe another word you say.

Mobyduck
08-09-2021, 18:52
You said you were taking a photgraph of the beer! I'll never believe another word you say.

Very wise.

Gann
11-09-2021, 16:10
You may not recognise him as he hasn't got his hat on .
Is that Luton Town’s new away kit ?

Mobyduck
11-09-2021, 17:15
Is that Luton Town’s new away kit ?
I kinda like it.

Spinko
18-09-2021, 01:59
Out in Saltburn yesterday. Hoped to bump into Rod Liddle but didn't.

Quinno
25-09-2021, 14:32
Nev AKA Bucking Fastard at the Nags last night.

The bottle of Geuze Boon wasn't wasted :)

Bucking Fastard
26-09-2021, 09:27
Nev AKA Bucking Fastard at the Nags last night.

The bottle of Geuze Boon wasn't wasted :)

That makes me feel a whole lot better ;) Good session :nishelypished:

Tris39
06-10-2021, 19:02
The Fox & Pheasant (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22929/) - James Blunt.

Mobyduck
06-10-2021, 19:56
The Fox & Pheasant (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22929/) - James Blunt.

Dunno about James Blunt but looks a decent pub thats escaped my attention to date.

Tris39
09-10-2021, 18:06
Green Man (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22264/) - Norman Cook.

Tris39
05-11-2021, 19:30
The Round House (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22137/) - BBC's Nick Robinson - glamorous or what?

Mobyduck
05-11-2021, 20:32
BRAPA (https://twitter.com/StymieSi) , again.

london calling
05-11-2021, 21:04
Sorry to hear your bad news.

sheffield hatter
05-11-2021, 21:27
BRAPA (https://twitter.com/StymieSi) , again.

Very jealous that you got to meet Colin - feeble excuse about him hiding in the washing machine (http://brapa-4500.blogspot.com/2021/09/brapa-in-sheffield-thursday-fail-house.html) instead of joining us in Sheffield in September.

Mobyduck
05-11-2021, 22:23
Very jealous that you got to meet Colin - feeble excuse about him hiding in the washing machine (http://brapa-4500.blogspot.com/2021/09/brapa-in-sheffield-thursday-fail-house.html) instead of joining us in Sheffield in September.

Looking nice and clean.

Tris39
05-12-2021, 19:30
Coopers Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23089/) - Milton Jones the other night.

london calling
09-04-2022, 20:23
Sir Kier Starmer was in the Pineapple in kentish Town last night.

Tris39
10-04-2022, 19:09
Sir Kier Starmer was in the Pineapple in kentish Town last night.

He's their Holborn and St. Pancras (Camden) MP, so it's unlikely he'd get thrown out. (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9487383/Keir-Starmer-THROWN-Bath-pub-astonishing-bust-Labour-supporting-landlord.html)

aleandhearty
23-05-2022, 15:29
By an amazing coincidence I happened to be Shipley, on Saturday afternoon, at the same time as 'old boots'. Enjoyed a very rapid catch-up in Hullabaloo (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/69597/), before he had to dash off for his bus. (Well, that's what he told me at least :) ).

oldboots
23-05-2022, 15:47
I just had time to pop into the Sun Hotel before getting the bus to the Cardigan Arms.

Quinno
08-06-2022, 20:54
London Calling at The Alehouse (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1661/) yesterday. Briefly, as I had a work colleague inside waiting for me, but lovely to see you John :)

london calling
08-06-2022, 23:29
Nice to see you.Had a great night last night.See you in Winchester.

sheffield hatter
06-07-2022, 12:34
Gill & Ray at the Brunswick Inn in Derby. I was between trains on my way to do a few pubs between Duffield and Belper.

Good to see you!

london calling
22-07-2022, 22:00
Shared a table with OZ Clarke the wine writer whilst sheltering from a shower outside the Euston tap.He was talking about wine not a subject I am bothered about so I moved to another table.

hondo
23-07-2022, 10:48
Shared a table with OZ Clarke the wine writer whilst sheltering from a shower outside the Euston tap.He was talking about wine not a subject I am bothered about so I moved to another table.

should've asked him about superman

Tris39
23-07-2022, 17:44

Not heard from him in a long while, so he wasn't one of the smackheads who hang out around the ' Tap?

should've asked him about superman

Yes. He was an actor before becoming an oenophile and was an uncredited 'hood' in the '78 film.

Mobyduck
25-08-2022, 20:59
Well not actually in person today.... 2772

Bucking Fastard
26-08-2022, 14:52
Well not actually in person today.... 2772

Better put it on my" to do" list.:) Real Ale Ray kindly gave me a BF pump clip :notworthy:which I keep on dispay onboard.

Tris39
20-09-2022, 18:08
Seve Pemberton in The Scottish Stores (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54267/) last night.

Mobyduck
20-09-2022, 19:06
Seve Pemberton in The Scottish Stores (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54267/) last night.

A face more memorable than his name.

Tris39
20-09-2022, 19:16
A face morememorable than his name.

Yes. I initially thought it was the other one, Reece Shearsmith.:)

Mobyduck
20-09-2022, 19:23
Yes. I initially thought it was the other one, Reece Shearsmith.:)

Had to google him as well.

sheffield hatter
23-09-2022, 10:28
Seve Pemberton

Reece Shearsmith.

Never heard of either of them.

sheffield hatter
23-09-2022, 10:30
Never heard of either of them.

Oh, Steve Pemberton. No, still drawing a blank.

His brother Seve might be more interesting.

Tris39
23-09-2022, 18:38
Oh, Steve Pemberton. No, still drawing a blank.

His brother Seve might be more interesting.

Inside No. 9...The League of Gentlemen.

Quinno
27-09-2022, 20:53
inside no. 9...the league of gentlemen.

benidorm

Komakino
27-09-2022, 21:04
benidorm

Killing Eve

Mobyduck
27-09-2022, 21:07
Killing Eve

Whitechapel

Bucking Fastard
31-12-2023, 11:17
Good to bump into Tris39 in the Barrel Vaults (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/86846/) late on Friday after a lengthy session with the usual suspects .Not sure I was all that coherent,but the Naked Ladies had sailed past the three pint test and my stash of CAMRA vouchers had taken a major hit.:nishelypished:

Tris39
31-12-2023, 18:34
Good to bump into Tris39 in the Barrel Vaults (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/86846/) late on Friday after a lengthy session with the usual suspects .Not sure I was all that coherent,but the Naked Ladies had sailed past the three pint test and my stash of CAMRA vouchers had taken a major hit.:nishelypished:

Great to see you too, treasuring your GBG in a yuletide Christmas bag. Given the location, shouldn't this have been a brief encounter?

Tris39
31-12-2023, 20:02
Whitechapel

Mornington Crescent!