PDA

View Full Version : A question

Lady Grey
06-03-2013, 14:18
I 'm just wondering what the correct procedure is, for updating old photos of pubs? What I mean is, many pubs have been refurbished since the existing photos were taken, how would someone approach the author of an older photo and ask if it would be alright for them to use the "Don't show image on main page" facility. Or is it best to leave things how they are?

sheffield hatter
06-03-2013, 17:10
I had a sort of discussion with Conrad about this a couple of years ago. I had uploaded a photo of a pub that had been repainted, and suggested to him that maybe the older photos should no longer appear on the summary page as they didn't reflect the current appearance of the pub. His response could be summed up in a single word: "No".

The "Don't show image on main page" facility was initially rolled out to several users, but there was an overenthusiastic rush to block photos for aesthetic (and other) reasons, which caused a bit of an outcry and a rethink, so it's now limited to a user's own photos. The difficulty about contacting the photo's owner, as you are suggesting, is that a lot of photographers don't use the forum, so can't be contacted through private messaging. The alternative, of asking Galore admin to contact owners through their email address would get the same answer as in the previous paragraph, I guess.

It would be good if there was a forum similar to "That doesn't go there", where we could report photos that we thought should be blocked, but of course the problem remains of how to contact the photo owner to get action taken. Pity, because such suggestions would provoke a lively discussion!

Mobyduck
06-03-2013, 18:45
I 'm just wondering what the correct procedure is, for updating old photos of pubs? What I mean is, many pubs have been refurbished since the existing photos were taken, how would someone approach the author of an older photo and ask if it would be alright for them to use the "Don't show image on main page" facility. Or is it best to leave things how they are?
All the photos have dates attached, I personally think its interesting to look back and see any changes year on year, if you come across a pub thats changed in appearance take a photo and put it on the site,I would like to see the old ones remain, the more the merrier.

sheffield hatter
06-03-2013, 19:09
All the photos have dates attached, I personally think its interesting to look back and see any changes year on year, if you come across a pub thats changed in appearance take a photo and put it on the site,I would like to see the old ones remain, the more the merrier.

No one was suggesting deleting photos, it's just a matter of whether they appear (randomly) on the summary page. So for example, a photo of a detail of some tiles in a corridor or an interesting piece of furniture might be valid photos to load onto the site, but possibly not what should appear as the sole illustration of the pub when a random user opens the pub's page.

The "Don't show image on main page" facility enables a photographer to chose whether or not their picture should appear on the summary page, and Lady Grey was wondering if it is possible to suggest just that to other photographers. Personally, if someone were to suggest that to me via a private message I would give it due consideration and respond dispassionately. When this or a similar discussion happened before, some people reacted as though someone was suggesting drowning a favourite kitten.:eek: It's not like that - we're just chewing over ideas for making the site better.:)

Quinno
06-03-2013, 22:47
No one was suggesting deleting photos, it's just a matter of whether they appear (randomly) on the summary page. So for example, a photo of a detail of some tiles in a corridor or an interesting piece of furniture might be valid photos to load onto the site, but possibly not what should appear as the sole illustration of the pub when a random user opens the pub's page.

The "Don't show image on main page" facility enables a photographer to chose whether or not their picture should appear on the summary page, and Lady Grey was wondering if it is possible to suggest just that to other photographers. Personally, if someone were to suggest that to me via a private message I would give it due consideration and respond dispassionately. When this or a similar discussion happened before, some people reacted as though someone was suggesting drowning a favourite kitten.:eek: It's not like that - we're just chewing over ideas for making the site better.:)

I agree with the above and I think as time goes on this conversation will gain more traction...IMHO.

Mobyduck
06-03-2013, 23:53

That all sounds reasonable, (not the drowning a favourite kitten bit).:whistle:

Lady Grey
10-03-2013, 11:09

Yes that is what I meant.
I'm selective with my own photos, if a photo that I've taken is out of date, I'll submit new ones, but retain the older ones and use the "Don't show image on main page facility" . I personaly, wouldn't object if someone asked me to use the "Don't show image on main page facility". I agree that it is interesting to look at the older photos, but there is no harm in wanting to make this already fantastic site, the most up to date pub website.