PDA

View Full Version : Scarborough

gillhalfpint
04-03-2013, 07:45
We are going to Scarborough for the day and have the GBG pubs, but looking at the site I am finding most of those with reviews are going back to 1986 or thereabouts which must have been brought over from the other site and may have no real relevance today.

Does anyone know of a few real ale outlets worth visiting.

Off for bus in 45 mins.

Gill

ROBCamra
04-03-2013, 11:23
North Riding Brewpub is a must. Say hello to Karen & Stuart for us.

Also Scholars, Angel, Indigo Alley, Valley.

Cellars is good but doesn't open until 4.

Old Scalby Mills is also good but a bit of a walk.

Try also's would be Cask, Tap & Spile, Hole In The Wall & Highlander.

The Lord Roseberry(JDW) is a dump.

Sadly this may be a bit late, but at least you can see what you could have won Gill. :evilgrin:

gillhalfpint
04-03-2013, 20:44
We strarted at North Riding Brewpub. We have been there before and were chuffed to find Great Yorkshire Chocolate Orange 6% on. I had it in the Slip in York Saturday and loved it, so went back for more yesterday and it had gone, so great to find it in Scarborough. Had one of their own beers 1 vs 100 5.7% too.

Angel was a new GBG pub for us so we went in there. No new beer but the Landlord in top condition and I would have loved a day to go round reading the saucy seaside postcards. So many of them so rude you just have to chuckle. Why do we stop the fun element these days.

Indigo and Scholars we last visited in 2008, but they opened at 4 and 4.30 so we had to pass on them as we didn't want a late bus back. I thought both Cellars and Valley were downstairs so we decided to do Lord Rosebery for dinner - not a great beer choice so we had Hobgoblin. To be honest, it tasted too weak for Hobgoblin. They were not going to take CAMRA voucher so I said put them in a pint glass and we'll share, so they took it. Chap then offered me change before telling me how much he wanted and found it hard to grasp I was waiting with coins in my hand to pay him.

We called it a day then really and went down to the front by the harbour and walked along to the cliff lift and back for the bus to satisfy my longing for the coast. I really miss living by the sea and we don't get to the coast often enough.

York Tap had 16 beers different from those available Saturday, so we topped up there before coming back to the caravan, so a good day out. Will have another session round York tomorrow though before heading home Wednesday.

hondo
05-03-2013, 12:41
enjoying reading your reviews gill

gillhalfpint
05-03-2013, 15:59
Got a few more to go on today when I feel sure I can spell ok.