PDA

View Full Version : Pub Ghosts

RogerB
23-02-2010, 10:29
I have always loved a good ghost story and pubs always seem to be a good source. Sceptics may wish to look away now! A friend of a woman I work with was drinking in the Lamb at Swanley about 3 weeks ago when the normally docile pub dog suddenly started going crazy, hairs standing up and barking wildly. Its behaviour was so unusual that he took a photo on his mobile phone. You can clearly see the 2 regulars sitting at the bar looking at the dog whilst the landlady is behind the bar. No-one noticed the extra figure at the bar that appears to be the centre of the dog's attention until they looked at the photo on the phone. I have spoken to the guy who took this remarkable photo - he knows a bit about the history of the area and tells me that there was an old priory nearby and a building near the pub was previously used as the village mortuary. The pub itself looks like 2 Victorian cottages knocked into 1 but the image appears to be wearing robes. He is happy for me to reproduce it here and I will probably send it off to an expert paranormal site for further evaluation. Judge for yourself...

hopwas
23-02-2010, 10:35
Hmmm.. it look bit too good for me. I think it was photo shopped but then I wasn't there in pub...

trainman
23-02-2010, 10:44
Did even the photographer not see the apparition until looking at his phone snap?

Without wanting to spirit your thread away from the paranormal Roger, would it be appropriate to invite suggestions as to which topical beers may have been available at the Lamb that day?

RogerB
23-02-2010, 10:45
The guy doesn't sound like a hoaxer to me and he has been a friend of my work colleague for donkey's years so I don't doubt the photo's authenticity. Trick of light maybe but it doesn't explain why a docile dog would start going crazy like it apparently did.

trainman
23-02-2010, 12:02
would it be appropriate to invite suggestions as to which topical beers may have been available at the Lamb that day?

OK, I'm sure you won't mind. I'll get the ball rolling. How about;

Oakham Bishop's Farewell, or Blue Monk(ey) Evolution, or, better still, Blue Monk(-ey, same gag) BG Sips (bar ghost sips...?)

Yeah yeah, I can hear the barracking, I'll get me coat...

aleandhearty
23-02-2010, 12:41
would it be appropriate to invite suggestions as to which topical beers may have been available at the Lamb that day?

I'd have thought' Monkman's Slaughter' must be in with a shout.

ROBCamra
23-02-2010, 14:21
Did even the photographer not see the apparition until looking at his phone snap?

Without wanting to spirit your thread away from the paranormal Roger, would it be appropriate to invite suggestions as to which topical beers may have been available at the Lamb that day?

How about Anglo-Dutch Ghost on the Rim or same brewery At t'Ghoul & Ghost.

Maybe York Centurians Ghost or Tring Ghostly Knight.

Must be plenty more.

Was the TV showing An Inn Spectre Calls :eek: :D

I know, I know, coat!

Conrad
23-02-2010, 14:39

I know, I know, coat!
Oh dear, oh dear. :D

Once again showing my sci-fi leanings all I could see is the Emperor from Star Wars giving the dog instructions - 'Kill them, KILL THEM ALL....... Oh and a bag of pork scratchings and pint of BEAST'.

Soup Dragon
23-02-2010, 18:52
I just think it shows how bad the service is, he has been clearly waiting for ages to be served and the landlady just looks on - shocking:rolleyes:

aleandhearty
23-02-2010, 20:53

Ouch! :D....Or possibly The Grapes Of WRAITH.....Spooks.....The Saint?

Maldenman
23-02-2010, 22:11
The Kings Head in Guildford http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35840/ has an interesting framed newspaper article on display about when the front of the pub collapsed without warning in the 1990's. The article goes on to describe how the long-standing pub ghost was banished that night never to return. More likely I would offer is that the nightly creaking and groaning often heard was the pub actually trying to fall down before it finally did!

arwkrite
24-02-2010, 08:04
A friend of mine ran a black and white pub,built as a guesthouse for the neaby minster. I often stayed overnight and found the building noisy.Supposedly there were a couple of ghosts but I never saw or experienced anything that convinced me of their existance. As a security guard I found most buildings had their noises especialy factories, the cavernous buildings amplified the sounds. The creepiest place was the old Cheltenham& GloucesterBuiding Soc. HQ. The place was so well sound insulated you could not hear your own footsteps. Creepy a bit like loosing your shadow.

RogerB
24-02-2010, 08:53
Anyone heading for the beer mecca that is Derby should check out the orb photos inside the Falstaff - the pub is apparently a magnet for paranormal activity although some of the photos on display do look more like camera shake!

Oggwyn Trench
24-02-2010, 18:53
If your in Shrewsbury go to the Nags Head and ask to see the painting on the inside of the warderode door :eek:

RogerB
25-02-2010, 08:48
If your in Shrewsbury go to the Nags Head and ask to see the painting on the inside of the warderode door :eek:

I was in there in Nlovember (it's on my list of pending write ups) but wasn't aware of anything untoward inside the pub. The most notable feature was the medieval structure in the beer garden that is used as a shelter. That is a bit wierd! I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the building has quite a few strange and eerie stories attached to it.

Oggwyn Trench
25-02-2010, 18:22
I was in there in Nlovember (it's on my list of pending write ups) but wasn't aware of anything untoward inside the pub. The most notable feature was the medieval structure in the beer garden that is used as a shelter. That is a bit wierd! I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the building has quite a few strange and eerie stories attached to it.

In the 3rd storie room that juts out into the street , theres a painting of a biblical prophet on the inside of a warderobe door , said to be as old as the pub itself , its said if you look at it you will go mad , 3 people have commited suicide in the room , A mate of mine asked if he could see it and it freaked him out , made him feel really uncomfortable .

runningdog
25-02-2010, 21:02
Back to Mr B's original post, has anybody else noticed that the dog isn't even looking at the 'ghost'. And no, before anybody asks, I'm not a sceptic, I'm a total bluidy unbeliever..........:drinkup::drinkup::cheers:

Darlo Boy
04-03-2010, 11:23
HORSE & JOCKEY, WOOD GREEN ROAD, WEDNESBURY.

I worked there for some time in the 1990’s. the ground floor and cellar are ‘Sid’s’ domain, moves things, makes you jump and goes to the loo a lot.
The other was the sound of two girls crying. This was in the upstairs restaurant (is it still there?)
From what I remember, the manager of the Monway works in Wednesbury was on his way home for breakfast and popped into the pub for a drink, he ordered a rum and a glass of milk, took them upstairs and then shot himself in the head.

When I was there I found the report in the local paper and we got a copy framed and put up in the room. He had a big Masonic funeral.
The crying is supposed to be his two small daughters, many of the staff heard it and a couple were very upset, it was always in the same place, the corner by the ovens.
I can honestly say that I have first-hand-knowledge of both of these ‘happenings’.

ETA
05-03-2010, 09:02
I was very sad to see that the George in Newington, Kent (ME9 7xx) closed down a couple of years ago and has been converted into housing (and is therefore not listed on this site). It was reputed to be the most haunted pub in Kent. Just after the final time was called, the pub caught fire and was destroyed, and local talk was that one of the supernatural residents was responsible and that the final closure was to blame.

Personally, and at risk of offending the politically correct lobby, I put it down to one of the local (and very much corporeal) undesirables who would be better off well away from society.

hopwas
05-03-2010, 09:05
Just after the final time was called, the pub caught fire and was destroyed, and local talk was that one of the supernatural residents was responsible and that the final closure was to blame.

Don't look at me.. I never been to this pub! :whistle:

Conrad
05-03-2010, 10:25
I was very sad to see that the George in Newington, Kent (ME9 7xx) closed down a couple of years ago and has been converted into housing (and is therefore not listed on this site)
We do accept the addition of closed pubs, it definitely spices it up if you leave a review and if you have any pictures :pray: that is even better.