PDA

View Full Version : Lets Design a Pub Sign! (Part II)

Youngie
22-02-2010, 22:57
'The Armoury' is a good old fashioned boozer in Yeovil... and guess what? They need a new Pictorial Sign. Regards subject matter nothing exciting really springs to mind so I thought I'd pick the brains of some wise and knowledgeable Gentlemen (...unfortunately I couldnt find any so I came on here instead):)
Basically the cellar of the pub used to be a store for powder and amunitions and the current sign shows a chap loading a rifle rack with guns. Having chatted to the Landlord he mentioned the 16th Somerset rifle corp(light infantry? Volunteers?) not sure, all a bit vague I'm afraid.
So are there any Military minded buffs out there who would know the correct uniforms badges battalion names etc??
All advice/info greatfully accepted and feel free to pour scorn on my ignorance of the History of our Armed Forces!

Oggwyn Trench
22-02-2010, 23:16
Try here http://www.sommilmuseum.org.uk/

RogerB
23-02-2010, 08:58
Slightly straying but still on the subject of pub signs - this one will delight a few people.

hopwas
23-02-2010, 09:18
Slightly straying but still on the subject of pub signs - this one will delight a few people.

Seriously.. what's with early closing times? :eek::confused:

trainman
23-02-2010, 09:35
Yep, the 'no lager sold' is amusing, and I've often thought about a trip out to Annie's but never made it. An excursion for a choice of Adnams Bitter or, well, there is no or, only to find the place shut of an afternoon, would not have left me in the best frame of mind. I do, however, understand it to be something of a pilgrimage, so maybe one day...

Re similar signs, I knew I should've had a camera at Bedford's Wellington, where an external plaque announces ‘We are a real ale pub, No Fosters, No Stella, No Carling, No Crap’.

Conrad
23-02-2010, 12:28
Well hopefully someone has some ideas, I loved the last one of these threads and I am still hoping Youngie will post all his pub signs onto Pubs Galore [hint] [hint].

rpadam
23-02-2010, 18:12

For this and several other reasons, this relates to one of England's 'must visit' pubs (and Conrad added it to the site a few days ago...).

Alesonly
23-02-2010, 21:06

Yes thats definatelly a good sign for a good Pub I wish more wetherspoons had signs like that outside. :D

Alesonly
23-02-2010, 21:16
Forgot to Add what about a Picure of Knight in a suite Armour with various 16th century weapons, axe, dagger, spears, etc in the back ground

Soup Dragon
23-02-2010, 21:44
'The Armoury' is a good old fashioned boozer in Yeovil...

Hi Youngie, i have not read this up until now as i have been off site a lot due to work. If it inspiration you seek, i would look to the Monmouth rebellion and Sedgemoor, which all happened around there in 1685. I checked my books for anything else and there was a small engagement in Sep 1642 at Babylon Hill, after which the Marquis of Hetford retired to Sherborne Castle before eventually abandoning it - this was very early on in the Civil War, Charles only raising his standard in August of that year. I dont know if that helps, or you may well know it anyhow. The other place to check is what Oggy gave you, the Smoerset Regimental Museum for examples of later uniforms.

Oggwyn Trench
23-02-2010, 21:56
Hi Youngie, i have not read this up until now as i have been off site a lot due to work. If it inspiration you seek, i would look to the Monmouth rebellion and Sedgemoor, which all happened around there in 1685. I checked my books for anything else and there was a small engagement in Sep 1642 at Babylon Hill, after which the Marquis of Hetford retired to Sherborne Castle before eventually abandoning it - this was very early on in the Civil War, Charles only raising his standard in August of that year. I dont know if that helps, or you may well know it anyhow. The other place to check is what Oggy gave you, the Smoerset Regimental Museum for examples of later uniforms.

I must confess the link came from a mixture of inspiration and google .... and the fact i took my son to the Shropshire Regimental Mueseum in Shrewsbury Castle at half term

Youngie
24-02-2010, 11:41
Cheers for the link and ideas Chaps, am sifting through as we speak...although trying to ascertain what someone who worked in the 'Armoury Section' would wear is proving a bugger! Would they be in full uniform??

Conrad
24-02-2010, 12:24
They would only wear their underwear for fear of sparks off items like the belt buckle sparking the arsenal.

OK, I made that up. :whistle:

Soup Dragon
24-02-2010, 22:14
Cheers for the link and ideas Chaps, am sifting through as we speak...although trying to ascertain what someone who worked in the 'Armoury Section' would wear is proving a bugger! Would they be in full uniform??

depends when you are talking of i guess, if they are forging weaponry, i doubt it

Youngie
10-08-2010, 22:59
Forgot to Add what about a Picure of Knight in a suite Armour with various 16th century weapons, axe, dagger, spears, etc in the back ground
Better late than never!!
Thanks for all the advice Chaps, I decided to forgo the rather drab 'Man stocking Arsenal of guns image' and went with Alesonly's suggestion!!
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/youngie44/armoury2go.jpg

....now to: 'Design a pub sign Part III'
:cheers:

Conrad
10-08-2010, 23:14
:notworthy:

I was wondering about this one yesterday, glad to see the results - great stuff.

Youngie
10-08-2010, 23:24
Cheers Conrad ...I'll post it up on the Armoury's pub section.....maybe a few others too if your lucky ha ha!

Dave M
10-08-2010, 23:47
That is a very nice one - must remember to look out for it next time I'm in Yeovil.

I still always smile when I go past the Railway Inn at Sandford - I really should stop there one day!!

arwkrite
11-08-2010, 12:37
How about something more modern ? Stacked Rifles anyone ?

Conrad
11-08-2010, 13:06
How about something more modern ? Stacked Rifles anyone ?
Too late Ark, already done and now posted on the site.

Thanks for that Youngie, I do love the good images of signs on the site.

arwkrite
11-08-2010, 13:24
Not surprised, I am slow on the uptake today.