PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 20th January 2013)

ROBCamra
18-01-2013, 11:11
Spinko: Abbeydale Moonshine
london calling: Darkstar Hophead
Aqualung: Brodie's Dalston Black IPA
Bucking Fastard: Magic Rock High Wire
Real Ale Ray: Joules Slumbering Monk
Mobyduck: Plain Ales Arty Farty
Thuck Phat: Blue Monkey 99 Red Baboons
Oggwyn Trench: Mallinsons Pondrasper
hondo: Fyne Ales Avalanche
oldboots: Fernandes Great Northern
ROBCamra: Welbeck Abbey West Australian

Spinko
19-01-2013, 17:54
Had a quality pub crawl this weekend involving Leeds, Dewsbury, Huddersfield and Manchester. The competition is strong. Here are the contenders:

Kirkstall - North Prototype (North Bar, Leeds)
Brasserie de la Senne - Zinne bir/Brussels people ale (North Bar, Leeds)
Buxton - Moor Top (Friends of Ham, Leeds)
Moorhouses - Blond Witch (West Riding Refreshment Room, Dewsbury)
Abbeydale - Moonshine (Kings Head, Huddersfield)
Magic Rock - Curious (Port St Beer House, Ancoats, Manchester)
Caveman - Citra (Smithfield Hotel, N/4, Manchester)

The winner is Abbeydale - Moonshine (Kings Head, Huddersfield). It was so good it dissuaded me from going to the Grove..

EDIT: It seems the Caveman Brewery is in Kent and this was their first brew, "Our first beer. A hoppy pale ale with a lot of citrus aroma from US Citra hops. A steady session beer for summer days. Available on cask in fined or unfined form". How on earth did it end up at the Smithfield in a quaint corner of Manchester... http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/caveman-citra/183145/

Wittenden
19-01-2013, 18:43

The winner is Abbeydale - Moonshine (Kings Head, Huddersfield). It was so good it dissuaded me from going to the Grove..

EDIT: It seems the Caveman Brewery is in Kent and this was their first brew, "Our first beer. A hoppy pale ale with a lot of citrus aroma from US Citra hops. A steady session beer for summer days. Available on cask in fined or unfined form". How on earth did it end up at the Smithfield in a quaint corner of Manchester... http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/caveman-citra/183145/

Moonshine- a good drop. Caveman share space at Kent Brewery until they find their own cave.

london calling
19-01-2013, 20:40
another week with a lot of average beers inc the new Portobello brewery from London.
so my choice is the brilliant Darkstar -hophead (galaxy hopped version)

london calling
19-01-2013, 20:45
Had a quality pub crawl this weekend involving Leeds, Dewsbury, Huddersfield and Manchester. The competition is strong. Here are the contenders:

Kirkstall - North Prototype (North Bar, Leeds)
Brasserie de la Senne - Zinne bir/Brussels people ale (North Bar, Leeds)
Buxton - Moor Top (Friends of Ham, Leeds)
Moorhouses - Blond Witch (West Riding Refreshment Room, Dewsbury)
Abbeydale - Moonshine (Kings Head, Huddersfield)
Magic Rock - Curious (Port St Beer House, Ancoats, Manchester)

Caveman beers are cuckoo brewed at Kent brewery and distibuted along side Kent beers.Caveman have now bought the plant from Devilfish brewer who have closed.

PaulOfHorsham
19-01-2013, 20:53
[QUOTE=london calling;52014... Devilfish brewer who have closed.[/QUOTE]

They're not happy (http://www.devilfishbrewery.com/WELCOME.html) about things! Mind you, I understand their position. Shame - I had heard good things about the beer, but hadn't had the opportunity to sample.

Aqualung
20-01-2013, 11:36
A paltry four this week.

Butcombe Old Vic Porter 4.7%
GK Abbot Ale 5.0%
Newby Wyke HMS Warrior 5.0%
Brodie's Dalston Black IPA 7.0%

The Old Vic and HMS Warrior were very good but not a patch on the welcome return of Dalston Black on cask in the William. I'd like to think this is permanent but somehow I doubt it!!

BOTW Brodie's Dalston Black IPA

Bucking Fastard
20-01-2013, 15:50
Not a great week for me either,but Dark Star Festival did mange to pass the three pint test with some ease.However BOTW was Magic Rock Hire Wire in great nick in The Cock Tavern,Hackney;an ale house worth visiting.

Next week planning a visit to The Gunmakers,EC1 ,so hoping for a good BOTW from there.

Real Ale Ray
20-01-2013, 15:54
Joules - Slumbering Monk

Mobyduck
20-01-2013, 15:59
Not the greatest of weeks beerwise by any stretch of the imagination,
Plain Ales Tam 'O' Shanter
Plain Ales Arty Farty
Courage Best
Brains IPA
Gales HSB
Caledonian Golden XPA

BOTW - Plain Ales Arty Farty

Thuck Phat
20-01-2013, 19:59
Only two this week but both excellent.
Oakham Bishops Farewell and BOTW Blue Monkey 99 Red Baboons. Both sampled in the same modest village boozer not too far from home. 2013 is looking up.

Oggwyn Trench
20-01-2013, 21:48
Another decent Saturdays drinking :nishelypished::D

Rat - Rat Pack
Abbeydale - Deception
Mallinsons - Pondrasper
Green Mill - Chief
Elland - Yorkshire Rose
Redwillow - Endless
Redwillow - Headless

BOTW Mallinsons - Pondrasper

hondo
21-01-2013, 07:07
Fyne Ales - Avalanche

oldboots
21-01-2013, 16:31
A limited choice but a difficult one especially between the Fernandes and the Salamander, I think the Fernandes Great Northern just takes it,

Ilkley - Gold
Fernandes - Great Northern
Daleside - Old Leg Over
Timothy Taylor - Landlord
Roosters - Black Math
Saltaire - Cream Stout
Salamander - Hell & High Water Porter
Walls - Keeper's Gold
Saltaire - Blonde

ROBCamra
25-01-2013, 16:05
This weeks BOTW is going to be Welbeck Abbey West Australian.

A bit of a hop bomb IPA. It's 4.6% but tastes stroger to me.

I don't think it would pass the 3 pint test, it's a bit strong, but I had two of them on different days and both tasted excellent. :cheers: