PDA

View Full Version : Let me be the judge of that.

ROBCamra
16-01-2013, 11:02
I've just accepted an invitation to be a judge at this years National Winter Ales Festival in Manchester. :cheers:

I have to be there for 10:30 next Wednesday and judging starts at 11.

I don't know what category I'm judging yet, but with my luck it will be barley wines and strong ales.

I'll be ratted by the time the trade session starts at 2:30 if it is. :D

NickDavies
16-01-2013, 11:29
I've just accepted an invitation to be a judge at this years National Winter Ales Festival in Manchester. :cheers:

I don't know what category I'm judging yet, but with my luck it will be barley wines and strong ales.

You're supposed to spit it out!

Aqualung
16-01-2013, 11:34

You're thinking just the way I would be!

I hope they serve pints rather than halves, or even worse those stupid third of a pint thimbles!!

ROBCamra
16-01-2013, 12:12
You're supposed to spit it out!

No you're not, they don't supply spitoons. :sick:

Besides that would be wasting it. ;)

aleandhearty
17-01-2013, 09:58
Congratulations ROB, looks like all those tastings at The Baum have paid off. Let me buy you a....er, you probably don't need one.

ROBCamra
17-01-2013, 10:21
Congratulations ROB, looks like all those tastings at The Baum have paid off. Let me buy you a....er, you probably don't need one.

Not on the day I won't. It's free beer from the championship bar for judges through until 5 and they feed us as well! :notworthy:

ROBCamra
23-01-2013, 07:20
I shall be setting off in a few minutes to meet up with Simon for a JDW breakfast before we head to Manchester for the judging.

I may be some time..........:p

aleandhearty
24-01-2013, 09:11
How's the head this morning ROB? :D Hope you had a good day. No doubt after NWAF you hit a few of Manchester's finest, before ending up back at The Baum.

ROBCamra
24-01-2013, 09:19
How's the head this morning ROB? :D Hope you had a good day. No doubt after NWAF you hit a few of Manchester's finest, before ending up back at The Baum.

The head is fine. After the fest we went to Terrace Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/78841/)

Then on to The Blue Pig (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/78340/) for some more beer and a charcuterie board.

Then finally to Castle Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25799/) and then back to The Baum.

I judged the regional porters. We had 8 porters to try in a blind tasting.

Our unanimous winner was Dunham Massey Dunham Porter.

aleandhearty
24-01-2013, 09:26

Should have known better than to question your constitution. :D Don't think I've had the Dunham Porter before, but will definitely keep an eye out for it.

oldboots
26-01-2013, 10:24

Slightly confused as Elland 1872 won the porter category. :confused:.

I tried the Dunham Massey but I thought they'd overdone the patent black malt in an attempt to get the colour but forgetting the negative effects on flavour. A classic mistake of amateurs but not expected from professionals.

ROBCamra
26-01-2013, 11:00
Slightly confused as Elland 1872 won the porter category. :confused:.

It won the overall prize of Winter Beer Of Britain, not porter.

It wasn't in the Porters section, none of the final beers were.

I explained how the judging worked on a previous thread.

------------------------------------------------------

This is how the judging for the Winter Beer Festival works (I think).

The initial judging process in done within local areas and comprises of 9 regions to ensure a fair distribution across the country. These are selected through local CAMRA branches and tasting panels.

The categories are Old Ale/Strong Mild, Porter, Stout & Barley Wine/Strong Old Ale.

All the beers nominated from the regions go forward to the area tasting panels who decide which 5/6 beers in each category will go through to the final area judging. The area judging is done at the Winter Beer Festival.

The judging for the Winter Beer of Britain is also done at the festival but they are judging from the category winners for LAST YEARS area competition.

The winners in each of the categories goes through to the FOLLOWING YEARS Champion Winter Ale judging.

Hope that's all clear then. :confused: :p

aleandhearty
28-01-2013, 10:35
....I thought they'd overdone the patent black malt in an attempt to get the colour but forgetting the negative effects on flavour.

:D You've really got a bee in your bonnet about this, haven't you?

ROBCamra
10-12-2013, 14:24
Well it's that time of year again.

The National Winter Ales Festival is in Derby this year but there is a new Manchester Festival to replace it
at the National Cycling Velodrome.

http://www.manchesterbeerfestival.org.uk/

I've just accepted an invitation to be a judge again.

Either for the North West Super Regional competition which are the four Winter Ale categories, Old Ales and Strong Milds, Porters, Stouts and Barley Wines and strong Old Ales.

The winners of these 4 rounds will then go to the National Winter Ales Festival in Derby in February and be judged in the Champion Winter Beer of Britain competition along with the regional winners from the rest of the UK.

Or for the Champion Beer of the North West

The winners of the four categories above against the winners of the remaining six categories from all over the North West. These remaining six have already been judged at other festivals over the last year.

Don't know which yet.

After we've finished judging they give us free beer, then there's then a trade session for 3 hours.

With any luck I'll be just as sober as last year at the end. :bemerry:

ROBCamra
22-01-2014, 06:56
Well, today's the day, time for a quick breakfast buttty and then off to the Velodrome for the judging.

I may be some time. :cheers:

See http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?16598-Tandleman-s-Beer-Blog-Live-from-the-Velodrome&p=61702#post61702

For a look at what the Velodrome looks like with a beer festival set up inside it.

ROBCamra
20-01-2015, 18:33
Judging at the Velodrome again tomorrow.

Starting at 9:45 a.m.:eek::eek:

Good job I'm on Porter and not Barley Wines. ;)

trainman
20-01-2015, 19:43
Blimey! I hope there's no comedy cycling at the end of the day..?
Porter for breakfast? - there's lead in the auld pencil! Have a top day.

Strongers
20-01-2015, 19:53
Judging at the Velodrome again tomorrow.

Starting at 9:45 a.m.:eek::eek:

Good job I'm on Porter and not Barley Wines. ;)

I will think of you when I'm at work tomorrow on my second cup of instamatix vending machine sludge that is meant to pass as coffee. :sick:

ROBCamra
25-01-2015, 12:09
The winner of the Porters section was Pied Bull Black Bull Porter.

5 of us had it top and the other 2 judges had it joint top, so a worthy winner.

Dunham Massey Porter last years Winter Beer Of Britain didn't get into the top three although it was my second favourite.

The Black Bull Porter then went on to win the Beer Of The Festival and was crowned Champion Beer Of The North West.

They'll be knackered now at the Pied Bull, they only have a one barrel plant and 2 fermenters.

I was lucky enough to be given a private guided tour of their brewery in the cellar of the pub a couple of years ago.

Well done guys. :cheers:

Full results are here http://manchesterbeerfestival.org.uk/cbonw2015/

ROBCamra
19-01-2016, 10:35
Well, here we go again. Tomorrow is the start of the Manchester Beer & Cider Festival http://mancbeerfest.uk/ .

This year I'm on the judging panel for the Champion Beer Of The North West rather than one of the heats
for the Champion Winter Ale of Britain finals.

I think it's a promotion, but I'm not sure, but the main plus is that we have to be there for 11:30 rather than 9:45. :drinkup:

After the judging we get some free beer and a small buffet and then the Trade Session starts for 2 hours and we have to pay for beer.:eek:

After that we'll probably have a bit of a wander around Manchester and try out Cafe Beermoth (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83591/) amongst others.

Back to The Baum afterwards and then off home merrily:bemerry:

Good job I don't have to drive anywhere on Thursday. :D