PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 28 Feb 2010)

Conrad
22-02-2010, 13:46
Hopefully for me I will have a worthy beer this week.

trainman:Saltaire Cascade Pale (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1334-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-28-Feb-2010%29&p=8563#post8563)
aleandhearty: Holden's Double Chocolate Stout (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1334-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-28-Feb-2010%29&p=8580#post8580)
Millay: Fullers Bengal Lancer (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1334-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-28-Feb-2010%29&p=8589#post8589)
Pubsignman: Itchen Valley Russian Winter (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1334-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-28-Feb-2010%29&p=8592#post8592)
Eddie86: Butty Bach (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1334-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-28-Feb-2010%29&p=8600#post8600)
RogerB: Stonehenge Pigswill (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1334-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-28-Feb-2010%29&p=8604#post8604)
Grailhunter: West Berkshire Maggs Magnificent Mild (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1334-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-28-Feb-2010%29&p=8625#post8625)
ROBCamra: Blue Monkey 99 Red Baboons (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1334-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-28-Feb-2010%29&p=8631#post8631)
runningdog: Beast (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1334-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-28-Feb-2010%29&p=8729#post8729)
Dave M: Hobgoblin (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1334-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-28-Feb-2010%29&p=9134#post9134)

runningdog
22-02-2010, 17:40
Unlike yesterday, today started well, the 'Granny Wouldn't Like it' finally arrived. She mayn't but I do. Yes, yess, yesss, a contender already. Back for more shortly...:drinkup::drinkup:...:):p:D

hopwas
23-02-2010, 09:16
Right..

At the moment First place goes to Beowulf's Dragon Stout.. very smokey burnt coffee flavour.. at Linford Arms. Cannock. 2nd place.. Usher's Flounders at Fern & Fallow also at Cannock. 3rd place.. Black Country's winter ale at The Imperial, Walsall.

Soup Dragon
23-02-2010, 20:02
I think the Fern & Fallow, now it has real ale, is always worth popping into if in the area, Hoppy

runningdog
23-02-2010, 20:03
Had a bit of a shock a short while ago. Back in 'my' JDW for another fix of what Granny Don't Like, and lo and behold, there's Cottage Brewery's Norman Conquest MM. So, it bein silly not to, I have a little drink-off between them. I know the Granny thing is goin to win, tell the barmen so. How wrong can you get........MM rules:drinkup:OK.

Soup Dragon
23-02-2010, 20:05
there's Cottage Brewery's Norman Conquest

I have always been impressed with Cottage Brewery stuff, had the QE2 first and loved it - always try anything of theirs when i see it RD - never been disappointed yet

runningdog
23-02-2010, 20:26
I have always been impressed with Cottage Brewery stuff, had the QE2 first and loved it - always try anything of theirs when i see it RD - never been disappointed yet
Yeah, the always ready to try them bit works for me, but I have been disappointed on occasion. I reckon they've got about six different brews which they constantly tinker with. 'My' JDW, as I'm prone to call it, usually has two, sometimes three on at the moment, which is giving me a good opportunity to test me theory...:drinkup::drinkup:MM rules, for now, as the Beast is coming back:drinkup::drinkup::cheers:

Millay
24-02-2010, 01:11
This week is looking difficult already. Yesterday I had a couple of excellent pints of Rudgate Ruby Mild which, as I was comparatively sober, tasted much better than my post-Great Escape one on Saturday. Tonight I was drinking mainly Ringwood Fortyniner until catching the very last orders at the Doric Arch Euston with a pint of the Bengal Lancer. The jury is still out :cheers:

RogerB
24-02-2010, 09:07
Not much occuring this week for me yet either. Had some Pigswill in a local 'Spoons last night (that's the name, not an opinion) before an evening on Broadside. Off to the Lane tonight so maybe a 'Spoons dinner and a couple of guests since there is nothing else in the area.

ROBCamra
24-02-2010, 09:25
Well I've already got a tie for first place with Summer Wine Modus and Bridestones Double Gold setting a fine standard last night.

Green Mill Special Mild was also a good pint but Little Valley Gustibus wasn't to my taste at all, it's a dark wheat beer, yeuk!

HTM69
24-02-2010, 10:37
Managed to sink 6 pints last night after a stressful day in the office.

2 x Fullers Dicovery - Jugged Hare, Pimlico
1 x No idea - The Expensie Cask Pub & Kitchen
2 x Guests (no idea names or brewies) - Willow Walk, Victoria
1 x Abbott - Willow Walk, Victoria

trainman
24-02-2010, 11:29
1 x No idea - The Expensie Cask Pub & Kitchen
2 x Guests (no idea names or brewies) - Willow Walk, Victoria

Wow! Sunday sessions with MrB really do take a severe toll on memory cells HTM - even into the following week!

HTM69
24-02-2010, 14:55
Wow! Sunday sessions with MrB really do take a severe toll on memory cells HTM - even into the following week!

Well, when you have two blokes partially blocking your view of the clips, one just tends to just point and say 'I want that one'!

I do usually tend to note the guests I try

oldboots
25-02-2010, 08:43
I've had a rotten week for beer so far, my top tip of the week is don't bother drinking in Thurso if you like decent beer. Two outlets for real ale, neither up to much, lots of "laagar" of course.

Thank god for Sheffield and the Harrogate beer festival so things can only get better.

RogerB
25-02-2010, 09:01
A few weeks ago I mentined Brentwood IPA as being my dishwater of ther week. Yesterday I had another Brentwood beer called Spooky Moon and it was just as bland and tasteless. I don't think I will be in hurry to do a pub crawl of Brentwood. I think the Stonehenge Pigswill is ahead at the moment but with Mrs B out tonight and my culinary skills limited to "heat and eat" it would be rude not to pop along for curry night especially since there is terrestrial TV footy on making it a rare sporty 'Spoons night. God, I am morphing into Hoppy.

trainman
25-02-2010, 09:13
I've had a rotten week for beer so far, my top tip of the week is don't bother drinking in Thurso if you like decent beer. Two outlets for real ale, neither up to much, lots of "laagar" of course.

Thank god for Sheffield and the Harrogate beer festival so things can only get better.

Well, I had to look up Thurso on the map and it's hardly surprising to hear it's not a real ale stronghold.
But with Sheffield imminent, plus a beerfest, you seem to have a perfect antidote lined up ob.

oldboots
25-02-2010, 09:35
Well, I had to look up Thurso on the map and it's hardly surprising to hear it's not a real ale stronghold.
But with Sheffield imminent, plus a beerfest, you seem to have a perfect antidote lined up ob.

Thornbridge Jaipur at the Sheffield Tap will be the perfect antidote to the weirdest tasting Deuchars I've ever had, :sick: and a surfeit of Tennants with a free iceberg :sick::sick: I don't mind cold laagar but not when it's -7 outside .

Actually the best beer I had was ice cold Hoegaarden served with a lump of lime in the glass.... I thought a lump of coagulated yeast had made it through the pipes :eek:

That's how bad it was

trainman
25-02-2010, 10:40
Thornbridge Jaipur at the Sheffield Tap will be the perfect antidote

I suppose the Sheffield Tap may form the 1st & last venue of the day; if so, I think I'd leave the Jaipur until the latter visit.

aleandhearty
25-02-2010, 12:19
Thornbridge Jaipur at the Sheffield Tap will be the perfect antidote to the weirdest tasting Deuchars I've ever had Have a good day tomorrow, sorry I couldnt make it this time. Have some Jaipur for me. (My decision was purely financial, but as you may recall from our West Riding trip my mother in law has been very ill. Unfortunately, she died on Saturday, so I'd have cried off anyway).

oldboots
25-02-2010, 18:09
I suppose the Sheffield Tap may form the 1st & last venue of the day; if so, I think I'd leave the Jaipur until the latter visit.

Yep that was the plan, maybe a Wild Swan or something just to settle the dust.

Have a good day tomorrow, sorry I couldnt make it this time. Have some Jaipur for me. (My decision was purely financial, but as you may recall from our West Riding trip my mother in law has been very ill. Unfortunately, she died on Saturday, so I'd have cried off anyway).

Sorry to hear about your mother in law, I will raise a glass of Jaipur on your behalf.

runningdog
25-02-2010, 21:17
A couple of decent pints of Adnams Gunhill poured into the mix tonight. Have no idea where this week is going but I'm enjoying it so far. A Peculiar Beast seems called for...:drinkup:...your health, lads..........

hopwas
25-02-2010, 21:36
I had Outlaws (Couldn't remember its brewery) at The Bole Bridge last nite. One of hoppiest I ever had and is at mind boggling 6.2%! I wasn't even aware of alcohol proof until I ordered 3th pint.. Oh dear! :nishelypished::nishelypished::nishelypished:

Needless to say I swagged away to bus station and had funny looks from waiting bus passengers while I was trying to stand up.. :o

In other JDW.. The Silk Kite.. I havent had a decent real ale in there for while now. I had Sporran's Porter which is very disappointing and tasted absolutely NOTHING! :mad:

runningdog
25-02-2010, 21:53
In other JDW.. The Silk Kite.. I havent had a decent real ale in there for while now. I had Sporran's Porter which is very disappointing and tasted absolutely NOTHING! :mad:

Does this mean you're moving pubs, hoppy, old son....:whistle::drinkup:

hopwas
25-02-2010, 21:59
Does this mean you're moving pubs, hoppy, old son....:whistle::drinkup:

Not yet... I am praying Silk Kite will get improve with their hopeless choice of ales. There is quite big difference with 2 JDWs in town...

Silk Kite.. used to sells 4 to 5 on sale but recently they only sells 1 to 2. I dont know why.

The Bole Bridge.. Far cheaper and 8 real ales on sale BUT further away from home than Silk Kite.

Seems that I am spending more time in The Bole Bridge than Silk Kite this week! :o

Maldenman
26-02-2010, 00:09
Thankfully off call now and back in the real world. Some new ones on tonight in The Edward Rayne(Raynes Park). JW Lees Game On, Three B's Pinch Noggin, Jenning's Sneck Lifter and Holden's Golden Glow.

My beer of the night.....as I haven't a week....is the Golden Glow. Light, hoppy and still quite bitter as befits a black country brew. Good stuff.

trainman
26-02-2010, 09:35
Not so much botw, but choice of the week, to date, is veering toward Croydon's George, where I found myself for a sharpener yesterday; they again had the wonderful Bishops Farewell, plus JHB, Exmoor Beast, Twickenham Sundancer & Grandstand, Jaipur IPA, plus the standard tosh, £1.89.
I'm pretty sure that the ensuing crawl of Cricketers (Shirley Rd), Bree Louise, Pineapple (Kentish Town), Junction Tavern, & Southampton (the pub, not the place) offered a very good selection too, but I just can't remember what they were. HTM69 will enjoy that fact.

Eddie86
26-02-2010, 22:16
Cottage Brewery's Norman Conquest MM.

Cottage is the only brewery I've had to turn down because of price. They offered my a 9 of their beer, delivered direct, for less than what I worked out the local brewery could brew for. I've tried a couple of their beers, and not for me. I'm afraid.

Oggwyn Trench
26-02-2010, 22:36
Had a stinking cold all week so taste buds a little jaded , only Three Tuns , Clerics Cure . Pictish Claymore and Peerless Hibre Gold had any taste , so the choice goes to ...... Pictish Claymore :)

Rex_Rattus
27-02-2010, 11:39
Thankfully off call now and back in the real world. Some new ones on tonight in The Edward Rayne(Raynes Park). JW Lees Game On, Three B's Pinch Noggin, Jenning's Sneck Lifter and Holden's Golden Glow.

I had a pint of Jennings Sneck Lifter the other night, and jolly good it was too. However, I have to say that I found the name a bit confusing, as sneck lifting is not something that I have heard of happening in the South. Luckily I was with a chum from somewhere up North, who explained that a "sneck" was a northern word for a "latch" (which is apparently some sort of door fastening device) - thus if a punter is a bit short of the readies and only has enough for his first drink that is seen as sufficient for him to "lift the sneck", thus gaining admittance to the pub in the hope that less pecuniarily embarrassed chums will see him OK for the rest of the evening. Fascinating what you learn in pubs, eh?

rpadam
27-02-2010, 11:45
I had a pint of Jennings Sneck Lifter the other night, and jolly good it was too.
Rather surprisingly, I came across the same beer as a guest in a Charles Wells pub in Bedford the other night, and jolly good that was too!

trainman
28-02-2010, 11:38
Can't remember much about the mini-fest at Isleworth's Red Lion last night so, despite some good beers on Thurs, incl Bishop's Farewell, my botw is Saltaire Cascade Pale, at Bricklayers, Putney.

oldboots
28-02-2010, 14:53
After a very poor start to the week by the end I was spoiled for choice. The outstanding beer has to be Elland 1872 Porter sampled at Harrogate beer festival in the company of the ROBcamra family outing and pub crawl team. A fine afternoons drinking we had too.

aleandhearty
28-02-2010, 17:40
Another very quiet week, owing to family circumstances, but the winner by a country mile was East Coast 'Holden's Double Chocolate Stout' 7.2%. Sublimely rich and satisfying and dangerously easy to drink. 'runningdog' you'd have loved it!

aleandhearty
28-02-2010, 17:50
... sampled at Harrogate beer festival in the company of the ROBcamra family outing and pub crawl.
Would loved to have made up the numbers, but unfortunately circumstances wouldn't allow. Look forward to raising a glass with you all in the future.

Conrad
28-02-2010, 19:37
Another very quiet week, owing to family circumstances, but the winner by a country mile was East Coast 'Holden's Double Chocolate Stout' 7.2%. Sublimely rich and satisfying and dangerously easy to drink. 'runningdog' you'd have loved it!
That sounds nice. Only managed a couple of bottled beers this week, neither memorable enough to qualify for a BOTW really :(

Millay
28-02-2010, 19:43
This week I'm going for Fullers Bengal Lancer :drinkup:

NickDavies
28-02-2010, 19:44
Had some excellent Bill King's old at lunchtime. I'm not usually all that keen on the style, I find them too rich, but this was top notch stuff. Only three halves though due to driving, can't win 'em all.

Pubsignman
28-02-2010, 20:21
My BOTW is one that I've been enjoying for a few weeks now - Itchen Valley Russian Winter, an outstandingly tasty imperial stout.

Runners up spots for Fullers Bengal Lancer and Dark Star Summer Meltdown.

Eddie86
28-02-2010, 21:11
I'm going to cheat and say Butty Bach this week.

Well it is a good beer!

RogerB
28-02-2010, 23:29
Not the best week's drinking but I have at least been introduced to one of the best new ale pubs in London thanks to a few recommendations (Southampon Arms in Kentish Town). I'm gonna stick with my Stonehenge Pigswill in the Flying Boat, Dartford because it was a perfectly decent pint and appeals to my sense of humour.

Grailhunter
01-03-2010, 12:49
My BOTW is West Berkshire Maggs Magnificent Mild. A really tasty mild, quite hoppy (unusually for a mild) and not too sweet. Like the sound of that Itchin Valley Russian winter though that Pubsignman has been enjoying.

ROBCamra
01-03-2010, 14:47
After a very poor start to the week by the end I was spoiled for choice. The outstanding beer has to be Elland 1872 Porter sampled at Harrogate beer festival in the company of the ROBcamra family outing and pub crawl team. A fine afternoons drinking we had too.

Well my beer of the week was also tried at Harrogate Beer Festival. It was almost Harviestoun Old Engine Oil but the award goes to Blue Monkey 99 Red Baboons. The beer is my sort of beer, dark and very tasty and the pump clip is great.

I'll write a few words on the Harrogate weekend and our festival and post festival session with oldboots when I get around to it. We can't compete in quantity with a RogerB crawl, but there was certainly plenty of good quality beer around. :nishelypished:

aleandhearty
01-03-2010, 15:01
My BOTW is one that I've been enjoying for a few weeks now - Itchen Valley Russian Winter, an outstandingly tasty imperial stout.

Like the sound of that Itchin Valley Russian winter though that Pubsignman has been enjoying.

Although my default beer choice is for very hoppy golden ales, occasionally the pendulum swings completely the other way and I go mad for strong dark beers! I also liked the sound of Russian Winter. Nothing about it in the GBG and more frustratingly, there's currently no seasonal beer section on the Itchen Valley website.

Conrad
01-03-2010, 16:54
but the award goes to Blue Monkey 99 Red Baboons. The beer is my sort of beer, dark and very tasty and the pump clip is great.

Goodness that was hard work:
Found and adapted from the Blue Monkey Brewery site (http://www.bluemonkeybrewery.com/).

Pubsignman
01-03-2010, 19:31
I also liked the sound of Russian Winter. Nothing about it in the GBG and more frustratingly, there's currently no seasonal beer section on the Itchen Valley website.

Yeah, it's a bit of an enigma - I can't find any info anywhere, partly because the brewery website is still under construction. Apologies in advance if this beer turns out to be a figment of my addled imagination! :nishelypished:

ROBCamra
02-03-2010, 10:00
Goodness that was hard work:
Found and adapted from the Blue Monkey Brewery site (http://www.bluemonkeybrewery.com/).

It's great isn't it (well I think so). 99 red baboons and a little blue monkey as the 100th. :cheers:

Conrad
02-03-2010, 10:51
Yep, I do like beer clips, sad to admit they can sway me to buy the beer.

hopwas
02-03-2010, 14:23
Itchen Valley Russian Winter, an outstandingly tasty imperial stout.

:mad:

I am massive fan of Russian Stout.. I have heard of Itchen Valley Russian Winter but never tried it.

Stout ales are rare as Dodo around here in Tamworth. :(

arwkrite
02-03-2010, 17:59
I am not certain if this is the correct place for this post . I see on the BBC website that Tettley is moving some of its brewing out of Yorkshire and into Wolverhampton. Should be an interesting culture and language clash !

Conrad
02-03-2010, 18:11
Alright I resign, I clearly don't belong here.

I read Ark's post and it took me a minute to get past thinking about tea.

arwkrite
02-03-2010, 19:25
You must be getting confused with Eddie and and his boiling teabags. I must be getting round to trying his recipe out for a cup of tea.:eek:

runningdog
03-03-2010, 01:09
Nearly forgot, my BotW choice was easy, the Beast...:drinkup::drinkup:

Dave M
07-03-2010, 16:41
Sorry for my very late entry to this one! Have been off sunning myself on the Costa del Sol. Thanks to Conrad for handling most of my workload on the site for the week and an even bigger thanks to all the members who kept him very busy!! :D

Anyway, my BotW was a Hobgoblin that I had at the Globe Inn at the North Terminal of Gatwick. Kind of wish I'd flown from the South Terminal though, at least they have a JDW there and I may have actually had some choice!

RogerB
07-03-2010, 16:52
Kind of wish I'd flown from the South Terminal though, at least they have a JDW there and I may have actually had some choice!

From my experience Airport 'Spoons are pretty basic when it comes to ale selection - you'd probably have ended up with Ruddles.

Dave M
07-03-2010, 17:01
From my experience Airport 'Spoons are pretty basic when it comes to ale selection - you'd probably have neded up with Ruddles.

Yes, I'm sure that is the case, although rpadams review of The Village Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57011/) gave me hope of a WJ King brewery offering, which would've been a new one for me.

I had checked the review before leaving but got a little confused about which Terminal I was going from :muppet: