PDA

View Full Version : Not So Boring Brown Beer

Mobyduck
08-01-2013, 19:33
I have been critical of late regarding brown beer, I am talking here about the bland mass produced usual suspect beers that may,in their heyday have been good beers ,the list is endless,Doom Bar, Courage Best,Wells and Young's Bombardier, Fullers London Pride and so on.My taste tends to veer toward the golden/pale/hoppy beers, "nancy boy" I hear you shout but, no I also enjoy milds, porters and stouts as evidenced by my beer of the year Titanic Stout, the main criteria being they are full to bursting with their particular flavours. So tonight I was heartened upon trying a pint of Shepherd Neame Bishops Finger straight from the cask in my local, it was excellent and very flavoursome ,in good condition and nowhere near bland,there is life in brown beer yet.
Any others I should try?

Bucking Fastard
08-01-2013, 21:45
Possibly this thread

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?10346-Anyone-for-(boring)-brown-bitter&highlight=boring+brown+beer

london calling
08-01-2013, 22:49
i think the problem with brown boring beer is you can sometimes get a great pint then the next time you try it its tasteless.once had a couple of great pints of Sam Smiths but have never been able to replicate it.

Mobyduck
15-03-2014, 07:51
Two brown beers I enjoyed last night, Moorhouses Premier Bitter and Charles Wells/Dogfish Head DNA, no problem drinking these last night at all,they were not boring.

london calling
15-03-2014, 21:57
Two brown beers I enjoyed last night, Moorhouses Premier Bitter and Charles Wells/Dogfish Head DNA, no problem drinking these last night at all,they were not boring.
I don't think when were were talking about boring brown beer that Wells/dogfish -dna new world ipa was really the sort of beer we were thinking of.I tried it on the launch night with the brewers and brown it was not. cheers john

Mobyduck
16-03-2014, 16:56
I don't think when were were talking about boring brown beer that Wells/dogfish -dna new world ipa was really the sort of beer we were thinking of.I tried it on the launch night with the brewers and brown it was not. cheers john
I have seen the DNA described as a dark amber brown which my pint was last week, I know it is nowhere near what we are describing as boring brown beers, but I started this thread originally, really to say its not about colour but taste.