PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 23rd December 2012)

ROBCamra
20-12-2012, 13:29
hondo: Hawkshead Lakeland Lager
Aqualung: Sunny Republic St Wite's Ale
Mobyduck: Binghams Doodle Stout
MJ71: Batemans GHA
Wittenden: Old Dairy Copper Top
Thuck Phat: Blue Monkey King Kong Merrily on High
aleandhearty: Rat Rat Attack
Oggwyn Trench: Salamander Off Your Tree
Bucking Fastard: Mighty Oak Old Nick's Nog
Spinko: Boggart Meme
london calling: Roosters Franklin
Pubsignman: Nethergate Red Santa
rpadam: Nethergate Red Santa
ROBCamra: Kelham Island Captain Crimbo

hondo
21-12-2012, 07:15
Hawkshead Brewery - Lakeland Lager

Aqualung
21-12-2012, 20:10
After a few disastrous encounters with "Xmas Ales" I came across a proper Xmas beer brewed in Blandford Forum (and you won't be able to Badger me into revealing it at this point!).

Hers is the list

Brains Festive Cheer 4.0%
Adnam's Topaz Gold 4.0%
Brentwood Berry Christmas 4.4%
Brodie's Stepney Green Steam 4.5%
Stonehenge Rudolph 5.0%
Sunny Republic's St Wite's Ale 5.0%
Brodie's Mentol Brown 6.5%
Brodie's Big Mofo Stout 10.5% (keykeg)

The winner (ignoring the obvious Big Mofo) is Sunny Republic's Wite's Ale. This is a PROPER Xmas ale apparently brewed with a Belgian yeast strain. It's sweet for me but it is full bodied and I quite enjoyed the pint I tried in the William IV. It was miles better than the rubbish that Spoons are hawking as Xmas ales.

BOTW Sunny Republic's St Wite's Ale

Mobyduck
23-12-2012, 20:50
Milk Street The Usual
Darkstar American Pale Ale
Skinners Christmas Fairy
Ringwood Porter
Red Squirrel Hopfest
Vale Old Frost Moon
Binghams Doodle Stout
The Doodle Stout is this weeks winner,new to me, dark and complex with plenty of flavour.

MJ71
23-12-2012, 21:26
Batemans GHA for me. Very moorish.

Wittenden
24-12-2012, 00:14
Only the one pub visit this week:
Old Dairy-Copper Top. A good copper coloured "premium ale"-luscious malt and farmyard hops.

Thuck Phat
24-12-2012, 12:17
Another fairly quiet week with 3 to choose from:
Hopping Mad Topnotch - not bad but didn't quite live up to its name
Oakham Bishops Farwell - excellent
BOTW Blue Monkey - King Kong Merrily on High. Another winner from the wizards at Blue Monkey, this one is dark and has all the things you'd expect form a festive ale but with a refreshing bitterness which begs you to have another. So I did. My Christmas beer of the year by a long stretch.

aleandhearty
24-12-2012, 15:14
A fairly quiet week for me, but at least I managed some beer this week. This week's offerings:

Elland - Summit.
Rat - Black Death.
Rat - Rat Attack.
Fernandes - Chocolate Stout.
Leeds - Yorkshire Gold.
Leeds - Midnight Bell.

Both the Rat Attack and Chocolate Stout were excellent, but the Rat just shades it. A lovely APA.

Oggwyn Trench
24-12-2012, 16:27
Better week this week ,

Coastal - , Margawr
Green Duck - Bah! Humduck
Greenfield - Brandy Blonde
Salamander - Off Your Tree
Wharfbank - Cranberry Blond
Six Bells - Christmas Crack
Highgate - Dark Mild

BOTW Salamander - Off Your Tree

Bucking Fastard
24-12-2012, 22:49
One of the best weeks for a long time.

The Old Fountain served up a treat Blue Monkey BG Sips,Fyne Hurricane Jack,Magic Rock Great Alphonso and The Big Top all superb and worthy BOTW contenders.Then the rehabilitated Green Dragon ,Croydon dished up a great Dorking Brewery Chocolate Oatmeal Stout.

However BOTW goes to the ever dependable Mighty Oak Brewery and their Old Nick's Nog,a classic dark porter in The Old Cross Tavern ,Hertford.What a great start to Christmas.

Spinko
26-12-2012, 16:25
Boggart - Meme.

Described as "A lager style ale with an amazing tropical flavour and aroma."

Lovely jubbly in the Micro Bar in the Arndale, Manchester. And served on Boxing Day, on a day when three quarters of the landlords in Manchester thought people wanted to drink water instead.

london calling
27-12-2012, 20:33
a long list of beers drank this week some of them were real christmas Turkeys
but Roosters -franklin was pale hoppy and quaffable.

Pubsignman
28-12-2012, 12:22
Firstly, a belated Merry Christmas to everyone - I've been in France over the festive period, swapping beer for wine for a short while.

I did manage a few pints in London before I left, the best of which was Nethergate Red Santa in the Hole in the Wall, Waterloo. Generally, these Christmas brews do nothing for me, and I usually find December ends up being a lean month for pub visits, but this one was a pleasant surprise and certainly well above average.

rpadam
28-12-2012, 21:26
Firstly, a belated Merry Christmas to everyone - I've been in France over the festive period, swapping beer for wine for a short while.

I did manage a few pints in London before I left, the best of which was Nethergate Red Santa in the Hole in the Wall, Waterloo. Generally, these Christmas brews do nothing for me, and I usually find December ends up being a lean month for pub visits, but this one was a pleasant surprise and certainly well above average.
I'll second that - same beer, same place (although I thought, from what was left of the photocopy taped to the pump clip, that it came from the Reigate Brewery)!

london calling
29-12-2012, 00:46
After a few disastrous encounters with "Xmas Ales" I came across a proper Xmas beer brewed in Blandford Forum (and you won't be able to Badger me into revealing it at this point!).

Hers is the list

Brains Festive Cheer 4.0%
Adnam's Topaz Gold 4.0%
Brentwood Berry Christmas 4.4%
Brodie's Stepney Green Steam 4.5%
Stonehenge Rudolph 5.0%
Sunny Republic's St Wite's Ale 5.0%
Brodie's Mentol Brown 6.5%
Brodie's Big Mofo Stout 10.5% (keykeg)

The winner (ignoring the obvious Big Mofo) is Sunny Republic's Wite's Ale. This is a PROPER Xmas ale apparently brewed with a Belgian yeast strain. It's sweet for me but it is full bodied and I quite enjoyed the pint I tried in the William IV. It was miles better than the rubbish that Spoons are hawking as Xmas ales.

BOTW Sunny Republic's St Wite's Ale

had it tonight good but very sweet.

ROBCamra
29-12-2012, 11:49
BOTW is going to be Kelham Island Captain Crimbo tried in The Baum of course, but also in Kosmonaut (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/78797/)

It's a strong IPA at 5.4%, but it drinks easily, very dangerous. :cheers: