PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 2nd December 2012)

ROBCamra
28-11-2012, 11:35
Mobyduck: Salopian Oracle
Thuck Phat: Salamander Ramraider
Aqualung: Brodie's Jamaican Stout
Bucking Fastard: Magic Rock/Dark Star Rock Star
london calling: Green Duck Duck Frost
Real Ale Ray: Springhead Robin Hood
Wittenden: Old Dairy Snow Top
hondo: Kelburn Goldihops
oldboots: Acorn Gorlovka
aleandhearty: Fernandes Ale To The Tsar
Oggwyn Trench: Highland Orkney IPA
Pubsignman: Fullers London Porter
ROBCamra: Roosters Buckeye

Mobyduck
02-12-2012, 10:26
Again only a few to choose from,
Darkstar Hophead
Darkstar Partridge
Darkstar American Pale Ale
Salopian Oracle
Belhaven St Andrews Ale
Skinner's Betty Stogs
Gales HSB
Black Sheep Progress
BOTW goes to Salopian Oracle,the APA was as good but as it was the first time I'd encountered the Oracle I give it the edge.

Thuck Phat
02-12-2012, 10:32
The ever excellent Oakham Bishops Farewell and BOTW Salamander Ramraider are the only contenders. I've never come across Salamander beers before but enjoyed this 4.8% porter very much. Easily passed the 3 pint test.

Aqualung
02-12-2012, 15:33
Some good ones tried this week, including quite a few from the larger brewers.

Adnam's English Red Ale 4.5%
Redemption Urban Dusk 4.6%
Jenning's Snecklifter 5.1%
Brodie's Jamaican Stout 5.3%
Marston's Old Empire 5.7%
Greene King Abbot Reserve 6.5%
Brodie's Mentol Brown 6.5%
Brodie's Citra For Breakfast 10.1% (keykeg)
Brodie's Big Mofo Stout 10.5% (keykeg)
Brodie's Romanov Stout 12.1% (keykeg)

The clear winner this week is Brodie's Jamaican Stout, a dry stout for the strength with a high hop content.

BOTW Brodie's Jamaican Stout

Bucking Fastard
02-12-2012, 15:47
After paul of horsham and Pubsignman had pointed the way a fortnight ago,once I spotted the Magic Rock/Dark Star Rock Star in The Old Cross Tavern,Hertford I had to give it a go ,and it won BOTW hands down.Described an an American Brown beer,there was a lot going on in that pint and the crisp bitterness to finish with made it a worthy winner.So good in fact that two more slipped down the next day in The George,Croydon.

Certainly not a boring brown beer.

london calling
02-12-2012, 19:52
not a lot of new beers but good quality mostly
these be good
salopian -oracle
twick -naked ladies
roosters -yankee
liv organic -iron men
cotswold spring -trooper
but my fav was
gree duck -duck frost.

london calling
02-12-2012, 19:54
not a lot of new beers but good quality mostly
these be good
salopian -oracle
twick -naked ladies
roosters -yankee
liv organic -iron men
cotswold spring -trooper
but my fav was
gree duck -duck frost.

that should have been green duck

Real Ale Ray
02-12-2012, 21:13
Springhead - Robin Hood

Wittenden
02-12-2012, 23:44
Weald and Downs:
Goody Ales-Bleangate Brewery-Good Shepherd:Chestnut coloured ,malty,long hop finish.Almost cloying.4.5abv
Larkins-Traditional:Excellant session beer, with that Larkins toffee note.3.4abv
Darkstar- Hophead:Good, but not as passionate as last time.3.8abv
Old Dairy-Snow Top:Plenty of hops, but not bitter.Malt but not cloying. Peppermint, red currant.Deep ruby.If I drink a better winter warmer this year I'd be surprised. Belies its strength.6abv
Harveys-Sussex Best Bitter:Wonderfully fresh, lustrous and peppery.Like meeting a long lost friend.
My BOTW-Old Dairy-Snow Top

hondo
03-12-2012, 06:53
Kelburn - Goldihops

oldboots
03-12-2012, 09:11
A small but select choice, five of the pales and all the dark beers were good, but my BOTW by a short head is Acorn Gorlovka

Acorn - Herkules IPA
Copper Dragon - Victorian Porter
Castle Rock - Harvest Pale
Taylors - Landlord
Titanic - Plum Porter
Stonehenge - Great Bustard
Acorn - Gorlovka
Youngs - Winter Warmer
Hop Studio - White Rose
Oakham - Inferno
Acorn - Old Moor Porter

aleandhearty
03-12-2012, 11:45
Well, at least I managed to visit the pub this week! Last week was completely dry, hence no BOTW nomination. A fairly subdued couple of sessions over the weekend, with some old favourites not quite at their best, along with some pretty average brews, overall.

Marstons - EPA.
Wychwood - Hobgoblin.
Salamander - Mustard Cutter.
Jarrow - Old Cornelius.
Acorn - Gorlovka.
Oates - Summit.
Salamander - Solstice Sun.
Saltaire - Cherry Stout.
Fernandes - Ale To The Tsar.
Rat - Golden Rat.
Arkells - Wiltshire Gold.
Acorn - Yorkshire Pride.

Both the Gorlovka and Yorkshire Pride were a little tired, so BOTW goes to ATTT, drunk in the Three Pigeons, Halifax.

aleandhearty
03-12-2012, 11:55
I've never come across Salamander beers before..

I'm almost certain The Grove, Leeds would have had a couple on, when we went in the summer, as Salamander beers feature very heavily there. Probably the usual case of too many beers, too little time! :D

Oggwyn Trench
03-12-2012, 18:11
It was Oakengates Winter Beer Festival this Weekend , held jointly between the Old Fighting Cocks (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/68336/) and the Station Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32757/) both pubs had a healthy bustle , pity i could only make one night :(

Pheasantry - PA
Gun Dog - Booze Hound
Highland - Orkney IPA
Barley Bottom - Clog Dancer
Franklin - Citra IPA
Dale Ale - Old Chestnut
Empire - Pandemonium Vanilla Porter

BOTW Highland - Orkney IPA

Pubsignman
03-12-2012, 20:12
I seem to nominate this beer once a year, even though (or perhaps because) it's getting harder and harder to find, but Fullers London Porter remains one of my all time favourites.

Mind you, at £4.25 a pint in the Red Lion, Westminster, it needs to be something special. :eek:

Thuck Phat
04-12-2012, 15:29
I'm almost certain The Grove, Leeds would have had a couple on, when we went in the summer, as Salamander beers feature very heavily there. Probably the usual case of too many beers, too little time! :D

I'm sure that you're right a&h, that was a rash statement and should have read: "I don't remember coming across Salamander beers before". Having had a squint at their website and seen that they were based in Bradford I was surprised at not having noticed them before. I think at the time I only had eyes for Ridgeside - no regrets there.

rpadam
04-12-2012, 23:48
Found several in Bradford on Sunday / Monday.

ROBCamra
07-12-2012, 11:39
Well it's going to be yet another weak beer this week.

Roosters Buckeye, tried in The Baum of course. Pale and only 3.5%, but tasting far more.

Good to see that the Fozzards are brewing as well if not better than the Franklins.

I also hear that they have resurrected Outlaw which will be brewing again soon. :cheers:

oldboots
07-12-2012, 16:24
I also hear that they have resurrected Outlaw which will be brewing again soon. :cheers:

They have brewed already, the first brew Mad Hatter - with Jasmine green tea from Taylors of Harrogate and assisted by Melissa Cole, will be launched today at the Rake and the Craft Beer Co. What's wrong with launching at one of their dad's pubs?

http://www.outlawbrewing.co.uk/